The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

14 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Where did I say there was one? I said we need a PMD so we go and get a goalie, makes sense.

Totally different reasons. The way our preseason has went and the way our young goaltenders have performed there has been a question mark with the possibility of Price not being able to start the season. So yes there was a possibility of a need. Also with being able to carry 3 goalies this season it may even make more sense. So there was no reason to even mention about the need for a defenseman and "infer" the reference. There is no easy simple acquisition  for a LHD especially a skilled puck moving ist or 2nd pairing. Which a waiver player is an easy acquisition. 

16 hours ago, electron58 said:

Surprised bergebin hasn't snapped up another defenseman.  A righty such as Juulsen or Fleury.

Fleury would be unlikely to crack the opening roster - I think on the right side, it gets very crowded with Petry, Savard, Wideman likely to beat out Niku who is insurance (and Romanov as a double insurance who can play the right side with Kulak as left side insurance). I think the Fleury ship has sailed as much as I like his potential but he wouldn't he have to stay on our roster for the full year? Better to trade a low round draft choice for him AFTER he clears waivers if we think he has potential?  For those who thought we should have protected Cale Fleury in the expansion draft, we lost him for nothing. If we trade a low draft choice for him, he provides some RHD depth development in Laval while Brook recovers from injury.  

35 minutes ago, claremont said:

Fleury would be unlikely to crack the opening roster - I think on the right side, it gets very crowded with Petry, Savard, Wideman likely to beat out Niku who is insurance (and Romanov as a double insurance who can play the right side with Kulak as left side insurance). I think the Fleury ship has sailed as much as I like his potential but he wouldn't he have to stay on our roster for the full year? Better to trade a low round draft choice for him AFTER he clears waivers if we think he has potential?  For those who thought we should have protected Cale Fleury in the expansion draft, we lost him for nothing. If we trade a low draft choice for him, he provides some RHD depth development in Laval while Brook recovers from injury.  

Agree, As much as I liked both Fleury and especially Juulsen at times, I think those ships have sailed. Both would have to be kept on the roster or potentially lost to waivers again & I dont think either are cracking our lineup tbh so whats the point. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

47 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agree, As much as I liked both Fleury and especially Juulsen at times, I think those ships have sailed. Both would have to be kept on the roster or potentially lost to waivers again & I dont think either are cracking our lineup tbh so whats the point. 

Saw that Darren Raddysh was on Waivers and was curious as to whether or not he would be considered an upgrade on Wideman. TBH I really know nothing about him outside of him having good numbers in Jr. and decent numbers in the AHL

Well you did go out and get another goalie ...lol

https://www.tsn.ca/carey-price-montreal-canadiens-practice-illness-mike-hoffman-cole-caufield-joel-edmundson-1.1702129

Ducharme: Habs 'are less confident now' that Price will play Game 1

Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price did not return practice today as scheduled due to a non-COVID-related illness, head coach Dominique Ducharme said on Monday.

“The plan is that he would’ve skated more. We are less confident now [that he will start the season on time]," said Ducharme. "If he misses the first game we don’t believe it’s going to drag too long. We’ll see. He’ll be back tomorrow and build from there.”

Ducharme said last week that the plan was for Price, who is recovering from offseason knee surgery, to be ready for the start of the season.

The 34-year-old posted a 12-7-5 record with a .901 save percentage and 2.64 goals-against average during the 2020-21 regular season.

He played 22 games during the Canadiens' playoff run, going 13-9-0 with a .924 save percentage and 2.28 GAA, helping the Habs to their first Stanley Cup Final appearance since 1993.

Ducharme also provided injury updates on several other Canadiens players. Forward Mike Hoffman will skate this week after he failed his training camp physical due to a lower body injury.

Defenceman Joel Edmundson's recovery from injury is taking longer than expected and he will be further examined with the results to  come later in the week.

Forward Cole Caufield returned to practice after injuring his shoulder in a fall during the team's red vs. white intrasquad game. Ducharme said Caufield's absence was precautionary and that he is 100 per cent healthy.

Nice to see Michael Pezzetta still in camp. Hard worker & tough, will stand up for his teammates & gets you the odd goal. Probably for sure, he starts the season in Laval, but if teams do continue to take liberties with the Habs, I can see him getting recalled.  As long as he can keep from taking foolish penalties. I guess, kind of a reward for giving it his all.

7 hours ago, electron58 said:

Nice to see Michael Pezzetta still in camp. Hard worker & tough, will stand up for his teammates & gets you the odd goal. Probably for sure, he starts the season in Laval, but if teams do continue to take liberties with the Habs, I can see him getting recalled.  As long as he can keep from taking foolish penalties. I guess, kind of a reward for giving it his all.

Agree, don't really see a spot for him but he can be fun to watch!

14 hours ago, electron58 said:

6 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Agree, don't really see a spot for him but he can be fun to watch!

These guys aren't just battling for spots now though, they're also battling for ice time in Laval and the chance at being an early call-up. We have a bunch of injuries up front and we aren't carrying a lot of classic 4th line energy guys this year, so you never know if the coaches will want to shake things up and slot a Bourque or Pezzetta or RHP in there. Given that they're slotting Perreault in at center for a look, it tells me they aren't sold on Poehling yet, and that means that if Paquette and Hoffman remain out too, they might well have an opening on the 4th line to start the year next to Lehkonen and Perreault. Belzile and Ylonen obviously could still be in the mix too, and all these guys are still getting looks...

21 hours ago, electron58 said:

• canadiens_wbg.png
    3rd 9:30
    Michael Pezzetta (Fighting - 5 min) drawn by Kurtis Gabriel

Nice spirited bout by Pezzetta.  Got a few good shots in, as well as receiving a couple.  Happened so fast, hard to say who won the fight, but Pezzetta held his own. Finished -1 with 9 PIM.

Is it time to worry??  I know it's only preseason. but in 5 games, we've scored 12 goals and given up 20. Yes, we're not icing our best players, but neither are the other teams. Is it our goaltending? Is it our defence?  Or, are our forwards not coming back enough?  Or, are we just not going to be good enough?   At what point do YOU start to worry???

6 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Is it time to worry??

No. Not even close. The games are basically meaningless.  Sure, it would be nice if a guy like Poehling or one of our young D really stepped up, but ultimately this roster is 99% set.  The games are conditioning, and more about the coaches & getting guys game-ready.  ZERO reason to worry - yet.  Im not saying i love this roster. There are some obvious holes and concerns but the preseason games mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

9 minutes ago, electron58 said:

I know it's only preseason. but in 5 games, we've scored 12 goals and given up 20. Yes, we're not icing our best players, but neither are the other teams. Is it our goaltending? Is it our defence?  Or, are our forwards not coming back enough?  Or, are we just not going to be good enough?   At what point do YOU start to worry???

I think a handful of games into the season should show us a clear picture of what we've got. Even then i wouldnt worry but if we're playing like this after 5-10 games Id definitely be a little concerned. 

Watched a bit of that game but this analysis says it all,,,

The Leafs were curiously matching lines to ensure that stars like John Tavares, William Nylander, and Mitch Marner played against AHL players like Alex Belzile, Michael Pezzetta, and Raphael Harvey-Pinard. It definitely worked, but seems an odd strategy to prepare elite players by

5 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

The Leafs were curiously matching lines to ensure that stars like John Tavares, William Nylander, and Mitch Marner played against AHL players like Alex Belzile, Michael Pezzetta, and Raphael Harvey-Pinard. It definitely worked, but seems an odd strategy to prepare elite players by

Yeah it is a bit odd! but no worries the real season is almost here.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

That's what you do in "real" games.You want the favorable matchups. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

No. Not even close. The games are basically meaningless.  Sure, it would be nice if a guy like Poehling or one of our young D really stepped up, but ultimately this roster is 99% set.  The games are conditioning, and more about the coaches & getting guys game-ready.  ZERO reason to worry - yet.  Im not saying i love this roster. There are some obvious holes and concerns but the preseason games mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

So, how about this.  Have any of the new players impressed enough, to be deserving of a roster spot to open the season? Or, how about the Laval players or recent draft picks? I know that C. Wideman hasn't really been wowing anyone, in 3 games, he has one assist and is -1. Dvorak obviously has been the best pickup, in 2 games, he has the 2 goals and 3 assists and is +1, so no surprise there. Hoffman being injured doesn't help. Savard, 3 games -6, not pretty. Perreault 3 games -2. Paquette 1 game -1. Not sure how they figure any of these guys are going to be ready for the season, but other than Dvorak, the rest are a little concerning. As for the prospects? Guhle has been the only one to really impress, and except for a few games during the season, if JE isn't ready, KG is going back to Juniors.

5 hours ago, electron58 said:

So, how about this.  Have any of the new players impressed enough, to be deserving of a roster spot to open the season? Or, how about the Laval players or recent draft picks? I know that C. Wideman hasn't really been wowing anyone, in 3 games, he has one assist and is -1. Dvorak obviously has been the best pickup, in 2 games, he has the 2 goals and 3 assists and is +1, so no surprise there. Hoffman being injured doesn't help. Savard, 3 games -6, not pretty. Perreault 3 games -2. Paquette 1 game -1. Not sure how they figure any of these guys are going to be ready for the season, but other than Dvorak, the rest are a little concerning. As for the prospects? Guhle has been the only one to really impress, and except for a few games during the season, if JE isn't ready, KG is going back to Juniors.

TBH I like Poehling,  he is a definite asset in the face off circle, needs to work on his game defensively.  Guhle should start the season in the NHL IMO, has been much much better than Wideman or Savard.