The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

17 hours ago, Regis22 said:

We can hope . Yes . But the players being released are not # 1 anything - you're getting other teams leftovers 

Yes. Although,  other Team's leftovers could be another Team's treasure. 

treasure-chest-clipart-9.png.bf9341bad50ee6891fb32c9f3351a4bf.png                        we still have a week.

2 hours ago, AH64 said:

it is going to be a long year. We really need a Puck moving defense. 

I feel the same way.

Maybe I'm still suffering from the SC Finals hangover, but I just sort of feel like this season is going to be a bit of a drag for Montreal fans. No Weber, Kotkaniemi gone, Price out to begin the season, Chiarot/Edmundson/Savard on D, no prospects grabbing the reigns at camp, etc.

19 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I feel the same way.

Maybe I'm still suffering from the SC Finals hangover, but I just sort of feel like this season is going to be a bit of a drag for Montreal fans. No Weber, Kotkaniemi gone, Price out to begin the season, Chiarot/Edmundson/Savard on D, no prospects grabbing the reigns at camp, etc.

Or maybe it's Marchand. LOL

On 10/8/2021 at 8:37 AM, electron58 said:

Yes. Although,  other Team's leftovers could be another Team's treasure. 

treasure-chest-clipart-9.png.bf9341bad50ee6891fb32c9f3351a4bf.png                        we still have a week.

From habfan30 on another site:

1/3 of the teams have too many players signed, a number over by 4-6.
Ottawa will be over once Tkachuk is signed and slightly over the cap floor.

There will be around 20-25 players released or waived in the next few days, some of whom worth a hard look.

We'll be looking.

Just now, electron58 said:

From habfan30 on another site:

1/3 of the teams have too many players signed, a number over by 4-6.
Ottawa will be over once Tkachuk is signed and slightly over the cap floor.

There will be around 20-25 players released or waived in the next few days, some of whom worth a hard look.

We'll be looking.

The problem is waived players have to stay on your roster for the year unless you waive them again?

10 minutes ago, electron58 said:

If it is an upgrade, we waive somebody else.

yep! no problems only solutions! all teams are having injury issues right now Ovie had to leave his game last night you see all around the league. once our better pl;ayers come off of injuries we will be better but we still have a couple of holes to fill to really be in good shape a good PMD to compliment Petry would be a big one and we could trade a winger or two to find a good center if the options we have don't work out after a few games in the real season.

On 9/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, Regis22 said:

Carey Price Wanna bet he's out until Xmas ( or longer )

The Canadiens' bench boss also provided a brief update on the health status of goaltender Carey Price, who hasn't participated in training camp practices while he continues to recover from offseason knee surgery.

"We're taking it day by day. Not much more right now. He had to take a couple of days off the ice just to make sure there's no swelling and stuff," explained Ducharme. "We'll see what happens next week."

You nailed it!  Although not for the expected reason.

On 9/29/2021 at 3:52 PM, BigTed3 said:

Norlinder with a lower body injury and is expect to miss a few days to a week. He won't play this weekend, but "could be back for the game after that." This likely doesn't help his chances of sticking with the Habs this year.

Ducharme says Norlinder is getting better but he isn’t sure when he’ll return to the ice. Norlinder’s status, when he’s cleared to play, will be complex because he can’t play in the AHL, only the NHL or Sweden.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/final-decisions-loom-at-montreal-canadiens-camp-1.5617779

BROSSARD, QUE. -- There haven't been many battles at the Montreal Canadiens' camp, but head coach Dominique Ducharme and general manager Marc Bergevin still have some decisions to make before submitting their 23-man roster to the NHL to start the season.

Teams have until Monday at 5 p.m. to make their rosters official. The Habs will open their season on Wednesday in Toronto against the Maple Leafs.

The Habs cut forward Jesse Ylonen on Saturday, so only 24 healthy players remained in the Canadiens camp on Saturday, including three goalies.

Ducharme wouldn't spill the beans, but Samuel Montembeault is expected to stay with the senior club, while Cayden Primeau will continue his apprenticeship with the Laval Rocket of the American Hockey League.

"I'll tell them the plan before I confirm it," said Ducharme.

Montembeault, meanwhile, was already talking about someone who will start the season as Jake Allen's backup, pending Carey Price's return.

It's exciting," said the 24-year-old Quebecer. "I'm going to be able to be there for the opening game in Montreal (on October 16). But for me, it doesn't change my approach. I have to continue to work hard in practice to be ready when I get the opportunity to play. I want to prove that I can deliver the goods."

FWIW, JFresh's model to project standings based on roster composition has the Habs projected as the 21st best team in the league, which I think is about right. Obviously, this can change because of injuries, luck, or players emerging or playing above or below expectations. But it gives you an idea of how well the roster is built in terms of expectations.

The model suggests we have above-average goaltending, exactly middle-of-the-pack PP and PK, and strength on the right side of the D thanks to Petry as well as at RW. It suggests our bottom 6 depth are above average compared to the league, but our top 6 is brutal and our 1st line is ranked 32nd in terms of projections compared to other teams' first lines, with the caveat that Caufield is obviously an unknown and has the ability to surge past projections.

The big holes on the team, according to the model, are at LW (where Toffoli is expected to return to earth after a monster year last year) and LHD, which seems to be just universally weak.

6 hours ago, Regis22 said:

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/final-decisions-loom-at-montreal-canadiens-camp-1.5617779

BROSSARD, QUE. -- There haven't been many battles at the Montreal Canadiens' camp, but head coach Dominique Ducharme and general manager Marc Bergevin still have some decisions to make before submitting their 23-man roster to the NHL to start the season.

Teams have until Monday at 5 p.m. to make their rosters official. The Habs will open their season on Wednesday in Toronto against the Maple Leafs.

The Habs cut forward Jesse Ylonen on Saturday, so only 24 healthy players remained in the Canadiens camp on Saturday, including three goalies.

Ducharme wouldn't spill the beans, but Samuel Montembeault is expected to stay with the senior club, while Cayden Primeau will continue his apprenticeship with the Laval Rocket of the American Hockey League.

"I'll tell them the plan before I confirm it," said Ducharme.

Montembeault, meanwhile, was already talking about someone who will start the season as Jake Allen's backup, pending Carey Price's return.

It's exciting," said the 24-year-old Quebecer. "I'm going to be able to be there for the opening game in Montreal (on October 16). But for me, it doesn't change my approach. I have to continue to work hard in practice to be ready when I get the opportunity to play. I want to prove that I can deliver the goods."

PM this to kinot-2. He should read it.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/habs-coach-wants-his-team-to-get-back-to-the-spirit-of-last-spring-1.5618286

Habs coach wants his team to get back to the spirit of last spring

BROSSARD, QUE. -- Dominique Ducharme clearly didn't like what he saw from his team during the preseason.

The Montreal Canadiens' head coach insisted after the team's 5-4 shootout loss to the Ottawa Senators on Thursday that his team has a lot of work to do before the season begins.

4 hours ago, electron58 said:

Gotta believe any one of Alex Barré-Boulet(F), or Kevin Stenlund(right hand shooting C) , would be an upgrade on Belzile.  Jacob Larsson, could be an option on D.

Don't forget we have Hoffman coming back soon

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2021/10/11/22720165/montreal-canadiens-finalize-23-man-roster-ryan-poehling-opening-night-nhl-adam-brooks-montembeault

Montreal Canadiens finalize 23-man roster

The Habs opening-night roster is ready to go for Wednesday.

These are the 23 healthy players who will be named to the Canadiens’ season-opening roster.

Forwards (15)

• Josh Anderson
  • Joel Armia
  • Alex Belzile
  • Adam Brooks
  • Cole Caufield
  • Jonathan Drouin
  • Christian Dvorak
  • Jake Evans
  • Brendan Gallagher
  • Artturi Lehkonen
  • Cédric Paquette
  • Mathieu Perreault
  • Ryan Poehling
  • Nick Suzuki
  • Tyler Toffoli

Injured: Paul Byron, Mike Hoffman, Joël Teasdale

Defencemen (6)

• Ben Chiarot
  • Brett Kulak
  • Jeff Petry
  • Alexander Romanov
  • David Savard
  • Chris Wideman

Injured: Josh Brook, Joel Edmundson, Sami Niku, Mattias Norlinder, Shea Weber

Goaltenders (2)

• Jake Allen
  • Samuel Montembeault

Injured/Ill: Carey Price

As soon as one of the injured/ill players is ready to return, someone will need to depart to make the roster compliant once more, though several of the players in question are expected to miss significant time.

Dominique Ducharme will be creating a 20-player lineup out of these 23 players for the first game of the season on Wednesday night on the road versus the Toronto Maple Leafs.

So Guhle goes back to junior. But as for the rest, the final roster is far from finalized. The composition they have was put together to give them the maximal cap overage through LTIR. But come Tuesday, once you can use your LTIR overage, then they can go about sending down whoever they don't actually need. So we may well see Poehling and Belzile demoted Tuesday and players like Niku or Norlinder or so on activated. We know they won't actually keep 15 forwards and 6 D men, so expect further changes, and the above doesn't actually mean those players have made the team.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

So Guhle goes back to junior. But as for the rest, the final roster is far from finalized. The composition they have was put together to give them the maximal cap overage through LTIR. But come Tuesday, once you can use your LTIR overage, then they can go about sending down whoever they don't actually need. So we may well see Poehling and Belzile demoted Tuesday and players like Niku or Norlinder or so on activated. We know they won't actually keep 15 forwards and 6 D men, so expect further changes, and the above doesn't actually mean those players have made the team.

I question whether they really saw enough of Norlinder or Niku prior to their injuries. You would think that Norlinder's development would be enhanced by going back to Frolunda. Perhaps they just don't want to rush that decision and give both of them some more feedback from practices or a couple of games trial. As soon as Edmundson returns, and if Wideman continues to perform adequately like he seems to have done, I would think that Norlinder and Niku don't make the roster unless there are injuries.