The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

6 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Nothing like a losing streak to get us up in arms.:lol: It's a little early to push any panic buttons IMO. As much as i would have liked a win or two in those opening games, it is what it is for a team still looking to find some chemistry everywhere through the lineup. If we're still struggling to get goals a dozen games into the season, then that will be a travesty. This division is too tough to fall far behind. The only effort that's stunk so far was in Buffalo with a subpar backup on a B2B opening night road game. A break or two in the other games could have easily seen different outcomes. Right now i'm feeling bad for Allen who must be wondering what it looks like to have a little goal support. Here's hoping we see some light Tuesday.

The Habs will still go out and win games this year. They're not as bad as their results thus far, and there is hope that they'll improve as some injured players come back. What concerns me is this: the first three games have shown/proven what is wrong with the team. It's showing how poorly the defence was built and how easy they are to take advantage of. It's showing how dependent the Habs were on Price last playoffs to make the run they did. And it's showing that no one in the organization has any semblance of recognizing the problems with personnel utilization, especially on D. It also shows that despite some roster changes, the strategy and lack of preparation for the PP hasn't been altered a bit. So those are all giant red flags.

What I've been looking for is to see whether the Habs are a better team than I thought they would be going in and whether they looked like they could re-produce what they did last playoffs. Keep in mind that this was a bad regular season team that barely snuck into the playoffs and a team that came one goal away from being eliminated in Game 5 of the first round. It was my view going into this season that this was a team most likely to finish around 18th to 20th overall and that the expected range for their finish would be 25th to 14th. They shouldn't be bad enough to finish as low as the Sabres, Red Wings, Sharks, etc. but I also don't see them competing with the Lightning, Bruins, Canes, etc. either. The Metro division is going to be deep this year and any of the Isles, Pens, Caps, Flyers, Rangers, and Canes are capable of finishing in the top 3 in that division. The Devils have made adds that could allow them to surprise too. So I think it's going to take a strong season to pass at least one of Tor, Bos, TB, and Fla and if we do that, we'd also have to stay ahead of a few teams in the Metro too. Maybe it takes 97-99 points to make the playoffs this year. So it's hard to know how we'll go about doing that if we come out of the first month in a huge point deficit.

18 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Nothing like a losing streak to get us up in arms.:lol: It's a little early to push any panic buttons IMO. As much as i would have liked a win or two in those opening games, it is what it is for a team still looking to find some chemistry everywhere through the lineup. If we're still struggling to get goals a dozen games into the season, then that will be a travesty. This division is too tough to fall far behind. The only effort that's stunk so far was in Buffalo with a subpar backup on a B2B opening night road game. A break or two in the other games could have easily seen different outcomes. Right now i'm feeling bad for Allen who must be wondering what it looks like to have a little goal support. Here's hoping we see some light Tuesday.

Yep no kidding! 

19 hours ago, H_T_L said:

For sure.   The barfalo lose was a pure loss but the other two, a bounce here or there, we could be 2-1 instead of 3-0.  

That said, the roster still concerns me, especially the defense.    At wing we're strong (despite the scoring drought) at centre, once Suzuki and Dvorak and Evans get going i think we'll be ok.  I have a sneaking suspicion that spot 4 will go to brooks once he's had enough time to learn the system.  Pacquette, Perreault and Poehling are all going to miss out on that spot imho.

But the defense... yikes.  The return of edmundson will help.  I think Savard is looking a bit better & as is often the case with his type of dman I think he will look a lot better after 10-15 games of this system. but we gotta stop pairing him with Chiarot.  That is a tirefire. The fact that Romanov hasnt looked great isnt very promising. Hopefully that will correct itself soon. 

Yeah I would agree more now than ever we need to do something with our D, but I'm sure MB with his infinite amount of stupidity will make a deal to acquire another slug of a D man who will be no help what so ever.   I can see him moving our first for Chara or some other moronic move

25 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Yeah I would agree more now than ever we need to do something with our D, but I'm sure MB with his infinite amount of stupidity will make a deal to acquire another slug of a D man who will be no help what so ever.   I can see him moving our first for Chara or some other moronic move

The thing is though: ok, MB cant properly evaluate our needs on D but he's not the only guy who can speak up.  DD should be asking for a PMD.  Richardson should be explaining what we need to make our transition game NHL caliber.  Heck, even Timmins as AGM should be a bug in MB's ear.

I suppose its possible they all are & he's just ignoring it but it sure seems more like either none of them see what we all can or, more likely, they just dont want to rock the boat. Well, they're going to go overboard if this continues... 

On 10/15/2021 at 3:13 PM, electron58 said:

Montreal Canadiens head coach Dominique Ducharme says that forward  Mike Hoffman, will not play in the team's season-opener on Saturday night but could play on Tuesday or Thursday. 

Mike Hoffman feels he’s ready to play tomorrow. (Tuesday)

11 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

State of the Habs = Joke of the league right now. 2 goals in 12 periods that has got to be some kind of record.

I really think we're going to end up last in the league. No big names with expiring contracts. We can move Chiarot at the deadline at least, I bet he'll fetch at least a second if we retain salary. But we're done. I honestly feel like at the end of the day we're in this position because of drafting (or perhaps development) and I don't know how to fix that. I feel pretty hopeless right now cause I don't know if we can rebuild if we don't figure out the drafting issue. 

We have no help coming either. Romanov and Caufiled are here. I know there are some guys that might be good but no one is an all-star type player. 

I don't think it's time to panic. You can see the players are frustrated and so this will likely spiral until it doesn't. Once they start winning, the players will relax and start playing better. They definitely have the horses up front to score goals, but right now, the major issue is the defence. You don't get on loose pucks on your own end, you don't have an organized breakout, you don't get the puck onto the counter-attack quickly... all these things add up to hurting the offence. Then tack on that discipline has been awful and both special teams have been flat.

If I can flip this around for a second, here are things that suggest we'll see improvement:

- Special teams won't stay this bad. You won't have a PP at 0% and a PK under 60% all season. I'm not hopeful we'll see top 10 special teams, but we'll certainly be better than we have been.

- We have key injuries that will return and improve our roster. The biggest difference this year to last post-season is that we don't have a goalie playing .930 save percentage hockey. Last year's run was propelled by Carey going back to being all-star Carey, but it was never reasonable to think this roster was a Cup aspirant nor even that they were a favorite to make the playoffs. But put a fresh Carey back in there and we probably build more confidence as a team. Put Edmundson on the PK and it should get better. Maybe even a Norlinder or Niku can help the transition game.

- We have new faces in key spots. Caufield, Hoffman, Brooks, Dvorak, Savard... it'll take some time for these guys to gel and get comfortable with one another.

- There are big name forwards who have been horrible and it won't last. Suzuki, Gallagher, Caufield, Armia, Toffoli... I'd argue all of them have been bad to start the season. Even Dvorak hasn't been fantastic, he's simply benefited from playing with the team's two best forwards to date. But these guys are too skilled to stay down for long. They may need a kick in the butt or a line shake-up, but they'll get it going. Ditto for Petry on the back end. He's too good to not bring more soon enough. I still have legitimate concerns about the bottom 4 defenders, but there are other elements that will bounce back soon enough.

All that to say that I still don't believe this will be a playoff team, although I didn't think they'd be one before the season started. You're only as good as your weakest link sometimes, and the Habs D depth is a huge problem. But they're also good enough in other areas to win games and I think they'll turn this around soon enough. The long Western trip might actually be a blessing to get out of Montreal and re-focus.

The team isn't scoring and we are giving up way to many goals. No one likes this but we need to tighten up team defense first and good defense will lead to scoring. The forward need to support the defense and be there for the short passes to forward the puck. It doesn't have to be one guy skating it up be in position and advance forward without worrying about the long passes at this time. When things are getting out of hand simplify the game. The Islanders aren't star studded but they advance every year because they play solid disciplined hockey. Everyone wants run n gun but when things aren't working you need to go back to basics. Even games 2-1, 3-2 get a couple wins and build on it. Yes we need to score more (obviously when game are none and 1) . Until then we need to tighten up and at least keep it close until the goals start to come. The PP just needs to go back to basics also. don't worry about passing it around to get the perfect shot. Get shots on net and have players in front screening and ready to battle for loose puck and rebounds. Ugly goals count the same as highlight goals. 

In order to do a proper rebuild and that's exactly what we need we need to get rid of our entire scouting dept.  They are by far the worst scouting dept in the NHL couldn't find a diamond in a jewelry store!!  It's a deep draft, and time to move some players for as many high picks as possible, yes fans in MTL will cry but it's what we have to do.  We have played mediocre hockey for 20 years and have payed the price in our draft stock, when we did get a high pick our scouting dept and GM completely shit the bed. 

2 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Read this somewhere. 

The Canadiens have traded defenceman Ben Chiarot to the Ducks in exchange for future considerations.

I don't see it on any of the major sites - where did you read it?

4 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Read this somewhere. 

The Canadiens have traded defenceman Ben Chiarot to the Ducks in exchange for future considerations.

I seriously can't see that as he is worth at least a third rnd pick to any team that needs some toughness.  But MB is a tool and anything is possible

33 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I seriously can't see that as he is worth at least a third rnd pick to any team that needs some toughness.  But MB is a tool and anything is possible

I can't find anything that says Chiarot has been traded (yet), doesn't mean an announcement isn't coming just not on Sportsnet, TSN or anything else yet lol

11 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I can't find anything that says Chiarot has been traded (yet), doesn't mean an announcement isn't coming just not on Sportsnet, TSN or anything else yet lol

For now then I'd probably move future discussion over to the rumours section, until there's an actual source of some kind.  Lord knows our defence is in enough trouble already without giving away more of the guys we have :P