The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

2 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Anyone else ready to hit the panic button yet? Some were saying we shouldn't panic until around the 10th game, we'll we are halfway there and still have 0 points!

I'm not panicking, but to be honest, I didn't expect this team to make the playoffs or be all that good with a roster that has a single top 3 defenceman, poor center depth, and a few key injuries. Best-case scenario was our sneaking into the playoffs like last year and the most likely place for us to finish was in the 18-22 range. We have great scoring depth at wing, but as I've said, it's the least influential position on the team, and those wingers lose some of their potential when you don't have guys to feed them the puck regularly. So I don't feel like we have too much to lose. If we play well, it will be a pleasant surprise. Otherwise, I'm not really at panic point because I didn't have great expectations.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Anyone else ready to hit the panic button yet? Some were saying we shouldn't panic until around the 10th game, we'll we are halfway there and still have 0 points!

Even if you think they'll snap out of this funk (and I do!) the problem is they've already dug themselves quite a big hole. They aren't even stashing away some loser points in this losing streak. Even if they can keep pace with the other bubble teams the rest of the way, it's like a race that they're starting 10 meters back from everyone else.  So basically now they are going to have to play like a division winner just to make the playoffs.

Having a streak like this towards the end of the season is heart-breaking, but at the beginning it sucks because it just makes the rest of the season seem futile.

They still have a chance, but each game without points is digging a bigger and bigger hole, regardless of how well they snap out of it.

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I'm already past panic and thinking about the #1 pick. It's going to be a long and sad season, just accept it

The Canadiens, at 0-5 to start the season, have tied for the worst start in NHL history for a team that just went to the Stanley Cup Final the previous season. Hat tip to 
@SNstats  for finding that.

2022 NHL Draft Big Board: Version 1.0 (Top Ten)

1. Shane Wright,R Center, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)                6'1" and 187 pounds                                                                                                                                       2. Matthew Savoie, R Center, Winnipeg Ice (WHL)                      5'9" and 179 pounds                                                                                                                                        3. Ivan Miroshnichenko, R Wing, Omskie Krylia (VHL)                 6’1” and 185 pounds                                                                                                                                     4. Danila Yurov, L Wing, Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL)                6'1" and 180 pounds                                                                                                                                          5. Simon Nemec, Right Defense, Nitra MHC (Tipos Extraliga)     6’1” and 192 pounds                                                                                                                                           6. Joakim Kemell, Right Wing, JYP (Liiga)                                    5’11” and 176 pounds                                                                                                                                         7. Brad Lambert, R Center, JYP (Liiga)                                           6’0” and 179 pounds                                                                                                                                       8. Conor Geekie, L Center, Winnipeg Ice (WHL)                            6’4” and 205 pounds                                                                                                                                        9. Juraj Slafkovsky, Left Wing, TPS (Liiga)                                     6’4” and 225 pounds                                                                                                                                  10. Logan Cooley, Center, USA NTDP (USHL)                             5’10” and 168 lbs  

Just some names to keep an eye out for....................

Eastern                   GP    W      L      OTL      Pts 

Florida                      4      4       0       0           8

Washington              4      3       0       1           7

NY Rangers             5      3       1       1           7

Carolina                   3      3        0      0           6

Buffalo                     3      3        0      0           6

Pittsburg                  3      2        0       2          6

Columbus                4      3        1       0          6

Detroit                      4      2       1       1           5

Philadelphia             3      2       0       1           5

Toronto                    4       2       1       1           5

Ottawa                     4      2       2        0           4

New Jersey              3      2       1        0           4

Tampa Bay               4      2       2       0            4

NY Islanders            4       1       2       1           3

Boston                     2       1       1        0          2

Montreal                  5       0       5        0           0

We don't seem to be trending anywhere.................

Only team without a point, Goal differential  -15  Tops in the league!

The Lafreniere goal right after we took the lead in the home opener, Gallagher's disallowed PP goal, and KK putting the nail in the coffin yesterday – it's all starting to feel like a really bad movie. Though it's still early in the season, the gap is already pretty big and even with Price back in the lineup I don't really see this team suddenly turning on the jets and starting to play like a contender. Essentially everything that could go against us will go against us at this point and I have no idea how to stop the bleeding. We had a relatively easy schedule so far and have zero points to show for it. We'll start winning some games eventually but I'm afraid it just won't be enough.

27 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

The Lafreniere goal right after we took the lead in the home opener, Gallagher's disallowed PP goal, and KK putting the nail in the coffin yesterday – it's all starting to feel like a really bad movie. Though it's still early in the season, the gap is already pretty big and even with Price back in the lineup I don't really see this team suddenly turning on the jets and starting to play like a contender. Essentially everything that could go against us will go against us at this point and I have no idea how to stop the bleeding. We had a relatively easy schedule so far and have zero points to show for it. We'll start winning some games eventually but I'm afraid it just won't be enough.

Unless Price is capable of playing center of defense, hard to see how his return will make much of a difference at this point: doesn't much matter who you're goalie is when you can only score one goal a game.

Last nights game was disgusting to say the least!!!

The only players showing any heart at all are Allen, Anderson and Chairot!!!  Anyone who says Kulak is an NHL D man is obviously not sure what a NHL D man is, I couldn't count the number of plays where he got easily knocked off the puck, made poor pass after poor pass.  At this point I would easily rank him and the very worst D man on the team and should be sent back to the NHL.  Glad we gave up on Mete for this clown, at least Mete could move the puck and skate!!!

Hoffman why do we have this turn over machine??  MB should be fired just for signing this guy and letting Perry walk  I have never seen such poor play from a NHL vet, hell bring back Staal and get rid of this clown what a waste of cap space and a roster spot.

We have way too many soft players with no drive and want to shoot from the perimeters and not drive the net, we are built like the loafs with half the talent!!

Best plan at this point is to fire MB before he does any more stupid things, trade as many players as we can for picks and do a full blown rebuild.  Ohh yes and remove the blind mice running the scouting dept because they are obviously watching lawn bowling and not players for the upcoming draft

33 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

Unless Price is capable of playing center of defense, hard to see how his return will make much of a difference at this point: doesn't much matter who you're goalie is when you can only score one goal a game.

No doubt. Allen is playing well enough, and that's all we can ask for, but we're still giving up way too many scoring chances and goals in general. There's no quick fix for this, without Weber everybody else needs to step up but so far our team defense has been a disaster just like everything else... offense, special teams, take your pick.

Maybe we need to lower our expectations for this team this year . Remember this team wasn’t a very good regular season team for the last two years . And the three years before that they missed the playoffs .    Then again maybe they get their act together . 

45 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Maybe we need to lower our expectations for this team this year . Remember this team wasn’t a very good regular season team for the last two years . And the three years before that they missed the playoffs .    Then again maybe they get their act together . 

You are right.

I think the Cup Final fluke run probably raised expectations, but... I don't see this team making the playoffs this year. We barely made it last year and now we're in a tougher division. I've only watched about 10 minutes of the season so far. No interest in tuning in right now.

And we don't even really have a prospect in Laval to be excited about improving the big club. :(

5 hours ago, ChiLla said:

the gap is already pretty big and even with Price back in the lineup

If Price took time off for anxiety/mental health etc - you have to wonder if he's going to rush back if we're like 2-15 or something.  I mean talk about putting yourself under mental pressure. 

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If Price took time off for anxiety/mental health etc - you have to wonder if he's going to rush back if we're like 2-15 or something.  I mean talk about putting yourself under mental pressure. 

Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if he's out long term. And he should absolutely take all the time he needs, there's no point in rushing back given the current state of affairs. Having him back there could give the boys some additional confidence, but our problems seem to go much deeper than that. We're thin down the middle and have a poorly constructed defense, which is amplified by Weber's and Edmundson's absence. Carey is not going to fix that and he won't be scoring goals for us either.

1 minute ago, Regis22 said:

The Canadiens, at 0-5 to start the season, have tied the worst start in NHL history for a team that just went to the Stanley Cup Final the previous season.

So we have a shot at the record all to ourselves.:5210::frech1:

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

And we don't even really have a prospect in Laval to be excited about improving the big club. :(

Yeah, I was thinking about that too.   Where are all these great prospects in our supposed great prospects pool? I hardly recognize any of the names in Laval. Although,  there sure are a lot of French names.

Last year from Feb 1st - Feb 23rd we played 10 games. Record was 4W & 6L. CJ was fired on Feb 23. This was after a 12 pt Jan.

This year we 0W & 5L. 

Went to the luggage shop yesterday and bought two suit cases. One for MB and one for DD. Hope they get the hint? It's not that I do not love both of them, it is just that I.......

want them to leave town preferably today!!

New cake needs to be mixed but I would prefer we use new tools to mix the batter!!!!!:rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, habsisme said:

With the effort this team has put out, is that on the coaching? 

Yep! coaches job to prepare the team this include motivation! it can come in many forms kind words getting the team riled up about some slight or another or togh practices or moving players away from the players they like to play with heck anything is better than the way things are now!

The worst thing that could ever happen to a bubble team happened to this team last year.

They made the SCF.

We can argue about the changes made till we're blue in the face, but realistically we didn't lose anybody that is elite right now (Danault, KK, Gustaffson, Weber) nor did we add anybody elite (Dvorak, Hoffman, Savard).   This team is essentially the same one as last year, that barely made the playoffs due to the conference alignment (they would not have made it in the tradtional alignment), barely made it out of the 1st round and over played their talent.

This simply isn't a very good team nor has it been a good team for the last 5 years.  I fully expected this team to stink it up this season given the roster and the lack of meaningful changes.   Oh we'll get out of this funk and we'll start winning some games, but we were going to finish out of the playoffs regardless.

2 hours ago, habby67 said:

I am amazed that the entire team is underachieving at the same time. Makes no difference to me if Price were in net in my opinion. 

Price in net gives everyone a bit more confidence, and that little bit goes a long way.

I honestly think that the absence of Price and Weber, killed the teams confidence and identity even before the puck dropped on the season. They wouldn't ever admit it but they saw the writing on the wall, pretty sure we all did.