Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs


Recommended Posts

Molson has apparently been given a spanking by some of the team sponsors as he made a statement acknowledging Mailloux will not attend rookie camp and has not yet earned the right to play in the NHL according to TSN Vancouver. This probably means MB will get a talking to unless we are witnessing window dressing to appease some of the sponsors and save some advertising. Clearly nothing is done in a bubble and while I don't really have a problem with giving a kid a chance they appear to have underestimated the blow back on the organization.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Molson has apparently been given a spanking by some of the team sponsors as he made a statement acknowledging Mailloux will not attend rookie camp and has not yet earned the right to play in the NHL according to TSN Vancouver. This probably means MB will get a talking to unless we are witnessing window dressing to appease some of the sponsors and save some advertising. Clearly nothing is done in a bubble and while I don't really have a problem with giving a kid a chance they appear to have underestimated the blow back on the organization.

 

yeah i don't like this blow back. Not trying to dismiss what he did but I worry about our society when people who make mistakes and pay their debt to society can't move on with their lives

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Habs at centre appears weak 

Suzuki : ok

 

JK : a work in progress

Evans : to be determined

Paquette : I know nothing about 

anyone im

missing ?

Potentially Hoffman...I believe he can also play center (prefers LW)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Molson has apparently been given a spanking by some of the team sponsors as he made a statement acknowledging Mailloux will not attend rookie camp and has not yet earned the right to play in the NHL according to TSN Vancouver. This probably means MB will get a talking to unless we are witnessing window dressing to appease some of the sponsors and save some advertising. Clearly nothing is done in a bubble and while I don't really have a problem with giving a kid a chance they appear to have underestimated the blow back on the organization.

 

Apparently, the Habs didn't invite certain media members who have been critical of Mailloux to Molson's press conference. Stu Cowan of The Gazette said he was not granted the right to ask questions, and the team also reportedly didn't invite TSN690 or CBC or Radio Canada. Another bad look for the Habs here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Windoe said:

That said, I suspect we're trying to trade for a well known center, and it will cost us one of our LW amongst other assets.

My guess too.   We have Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, Drouin, Caufield and now Hoffman  - thats 6 guys who are ideally all top 6 wingers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

My guess too.   We have Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, Drouin, Caufield and now Hoffman  - thats 6 guys who are ideally all top 6 wingers. 

Yep and we have some good young centers who need non plugs to pass to! up front we are looking pretty good I really wish we could have gotten Hamilton but that is a lot of cash! I know it is market value but we really need to be drafting some of these guys if we ever want to be a force!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I agree. Ive been saying i think we may be surprised with him but, like JK he's definitely a "Work in Progress"

Yes...I think if we have Eichel and Suzuki as our one two, they can insulate Poehling and Evans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought Norlinder was still playing in Europe next year despite his contract with us, but it sounds like MB hasn't ruled out his playing in the NHL (maybe he has a clause to get out of Europe if he sticks in the NHL?)... now HE could bring an element we don't have elsewhere. I also think Brook or Guhle could get a chance to surprise out of camp. I think they'll deal Kulak away, so there's an opening to make the roster over Wideman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I thought Norlinder was still playing in Europe next year despite his contract with us, but it sounds like MB hasn't ruled out his playing in the NHL (maybe he has a clause to get out of Europe if he sticks in the NHL?)... now HE could bring an element we don't have elsewhere. I also think Brook or Guhle could get a chance to surprise out of camp. I think they'll deal Kulak away, so there's an opening to make the roster over Wideman.

I am pretty sure I read something on EOTP a couple of weeks ago that they think he can get out of Europe to play in Montreal (but not Laval) so it would be all or nothing, but there's a risk (of losing his prime spot in Europe) if he leaves  and then comes back, so he will weigh the options. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I agree. Ive been saying i think we may be surprised with him but, like JK he's definitely a "Work in Progress"

Poehling did have a very good season in Laval, and should know what is expected of him. I do believe,  although I have been wrong before, (don't bother counting) that RP played left wing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, electron58 said:

Poehling did have a very good season in Laval, and should know what is expected of him. I do believe,  although I have been wrong before, (don't bother counting) that RP played left wing?

I thought he switched between LW and C in Laval this year?   

Either way, I do actually think his game may be better suited to LW to be honest.   I guess we'll see.   Poehling-Evans-Lehks could be a great shut down line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I am pretty sure I read something on EOTP a couple of weeks ago that they think he can get out of Europe to play in Montreal (but not Laval) so it would be all or nothing, but there's a risk (of losing his prime spot in Europe) if he leaves  and then comes back, so he will weigh the options. 

I think I read this as well.  He'll come to camp,  and if he doesn't make it,  he would return to Europe.  Prime spots are earned,  so, if he is the better option,  he will reclaim it.  Collberg lost his spot , because he wouldn't have been an upgrade. For Norlinder,  it's win/win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I thought he switched between LW and C in Laval this year?   

Either way, I do actually think his game may be better suited to LW to be honest.   I guess we'll see.   Poehling-Evans-Lehks could be a great shut down line. 

For sure. You can't teach size, and he does hit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I thought he switched between LW and C in Laval this year?   

Either way, I do actually think his game may be better suited to LW to be honest.   I guess we'll see.   Poehling-Evans-Lehks could be a great shut down line. 

The thing is,  Blandisi was the center on that line with Poehling & Teasdale. Yet they were both listed as centers on the game sheet. They had like 7 centers on the game sheet I looked at. So, maybe games played at whatever position they're listed at are misleading. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Then again when the coach is spieling about destiny and one doesn't know if he eats squid or octopus in any quantity to make a difference which I can tell you I definitely do NOT since zero is not a sum, I can see the risk of kids having nightmares all across Canada if such a thing as destiny is a reality which like I said DD has gone and made anyhow.

I'm on Fluery's side, I wouldn't want to play for Chicago either.

Kraken..What the...Why would the league even permit such a name?? Serious

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Windoe said:

That said, I suspect we're trying to trade for a well known center, and it will cost us one of our LW amongst other assets.

15 hours ago, maas_art said:

My guess too.   We have Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, Drouin, Caufield and now Hoffman  - thats 6 guys who are ideally all top 6 wingers. 

I agree with both of you plus the bottom 2 wingers are Armia at right, Lehkonen at Left & RW and an expensive Byron for injury support. Byron recently penned a thank you support letter to the fans so I wonder if he’s been told that he might be on the trading block vs. possibly trading Drouin at low value. Include Poehling who can also back up at Centre/LW, I just feel Paulie is odd man out. 
At LHD, Chiarot Edmundson Romanov and Kulak and RHD - Petry, Savard, Romanov, possibly Brook and Wideman, it would seem prudent that Kulak or Chiarot with one year remaining should be considered as trade bait 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cannot imagine much else happening before the season starts, unless Bergevin surprises us all with a trade. We'll re-sign Lehkonen and Kotkaniemi, and that'll be our off-season. That will bring us to 13 forwards, 7 D (I am factoring that Weber will be LTIR), and 2 goaltenders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FA is winding down and our lineup currently looks something like this

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield 

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Hoffman-Evans-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia

Byron-Perry

Edmundson-Petry 

Chiarot-Savard

Romanov-Wideman

Kulak

Price

Allen

Looking at our lineup there are 2 clear needs

1. A decent 3 or 4 center

2. A middle pairing RHD

Can we patch those holes in 2 trades and stay under the cap? I propose 2 moves.

1. What about helping the Jets? They need cap space and a middle 6 winger. Send Lehkonen + 2022 3rd (Anaheim) + 2023 2nd (Montreal) for Copp + DeMelo. Sign Copp for between 3-4 Mil long term

2. Arizona needs defensemen so what about Byron + Kulak + 2022 3rd (Montreal) for Dzingle + 2022 2nd (NYI)

Now our lineup becomes

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield 

Hoffman-Copp-Gallagher

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Dzingle-Evans-Armia

Perry-Poehling

Edmundson-Petry 

Chiarot-DeMelo

Romanov-Savard

Wideman

Price

Allen

KK and Copp lines could also swap positions (KK's becomes 2nd line, Copp's 3rd)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...