The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

14 hours ago, maas_art said:

I am pretty sure I read something on EOTP a couple of weeks ago that they think he can get out of Europe to play in Montreal (but not Laval) so it would be all or nothing, but there's a risk (of losing his prime spot in Europe) if he leaves  and then comes back, so he will weigh the options. 

CapFriendly has Norlinder listed in Laval this season. Not sure if that means much but it certainly suggests that he has some sort of out clause.

Just now, Regis22 said:

Perry isn’t signed ( yet. ) unless he’s did overnight

No he is not but an offer was reported as being offered. Also KK and Lehky have not resigned yet to my knowledge. I was just looking at what we could look like lol

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

No he is not but an offer was reported as being offered. Also KK and Lehky have not resigned yet to my knowledge. I was just looking at what we could look like lol

Perry Signed with Tampa for 2 years.   

23 hours ago, habsisme said:

yeah i don't like this blow back. Not trying to dismiss what he did but I worry about our society when people who make mistakes and pay their debt to society can't move on with their lives

I'm all for giving people second chances and I'm perfectly okay with any other GM's drafting him.  But I am not absolutely NOT okay with Bergevin drafting him.  Just think about all the people he drove out of town for far less infractions, how they don't have character.  How do you now get on a podium now to announce that pick after what he did?  Methinks Bergevin is full of the brown stuff.

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah just saw this.  Odd they didnt even mention he was injured. 

so more money coming our way. he will be out for quite some time and a guy like him that relies on speed......might be time to buy him out! after the injury of course...

14 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

so more money coming our way. he will be out for quite some time and a guy like him that relies on speed......might be time to buy him out! after the injury of course...

Maybe his injury takes longer to heal... like all the way till the playoffs long ;)  

57 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Mixed blessing - sure $3.4m of LTIR cap room but I was hoping we could package him in a trade but no wonder MB loaded up on some forwards. I think we all agree we can get better value for $3.4m vs his consistency of performance (albeit he earned full salary for his playoff goal against the Laffs). He will have prorated salary when he comes back. I hope he plays well and attracts some attention for a future trade - I don’t see him as fit in 2022-23 so if we buy him out next year it’s a $1.533 and $933k cap hit for the years thereafter 

5 months recovery - that’s a major hip op 

3 hours ago, claremont said:

Mixed blessing - sure $3.4m of LTIR cap room but I was hoping we could package him in a trade but no wonder MB loaded up on some forwards. I think we all agree we can get better value for $3.4m vs his consistency of performance (albeit he earned full salary for his playoff goal against the Laffs). He will have prorated salary when he comes back. I hope he plays well and attracts some attention for a future trade - I don’t see him as fit in 2022-23 so if we buy him out next year it’s a $1.533 and $933k cap hit for the years thereafter 

5 months recovery - that’s a major hip op 

But let's face the truth: if we were to have traded Byron, he would have had negative value in a deal. We would have had to throw in a pick or retain salary for someone to take him. So in essence, his going on LTIR means we dump his salary cap without having to give up assets. Bad for Byron, but perhaps a better solution for us than trying to dump his contract. And as I said, Perreault IMO is a slight upgrade on Byron, so we're getting him and saving 2.5M in Byron's place.

11 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

1 yr $2.3 million arturi lekhonen 

Still an RFA after this year too. A bit surprised he would agree to that type of a deal. It would be surprising to see his value any higher after one more year and I would have thought he'd want a longer deal or else a deal that took him to UFA status. So a good deal for MB here.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Still an RFA after this year too. A bit surprised he would agree to that type of a deal. It would be surprising to see his value any higher after one more year and I would have thought he'd want a longer deal or else a deal that took him to UFA status. So a good deal for MB here.

Definitely surprising. Feels like a "show me" deal - maybe he thinks he can up his value with a strong year.  Either way, agree, good 'buying time' deal for MB. 

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Definitely surprising. Feels like a "show me" deal - maybe he thinks he can up his value with a strong year.  Either way, agree, good 'buying time' deal for MB. 

Right, the contract suggests that Lehkonen is kind of betting on himself to increase his value, but I wonder how much he will be able to do that. Lehkonen's value has always been in a shutdown role, and the playoffs are really where that type of player sees his value rise. So I find it hard to believe Lehkonen's value will grow coming off a long playoff run where he got to play on the what might have been the coach's top line responsibility-wise with Danault and Gallagher, where he scored a huge memorable goal, and where he also flourished playing on a lower energy line with Byron and Evans. That's about as good as it gets for me for this player.

Going forward, we've seen how many wingers are now sitting ahead of Lehkonen on the depth chart: Hoffman, Gallagher, Caufield, Anderson, Toffoli, Drouin, and probably Armia. It doesn't seem probable that Lehkonen will be getting bigger minutes or better linemates or any PP time. So not sure what he would be betting on. I think the money per year is about right for a 3rd-4th line winger, just surprised he's not locked in for 3 years when Byron and Armia got those deals.

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Right, the contract suggests that Lehkonen is kind of betting on himself to increase his value, but I wonder how much he will be able to do that. Lehkonen's value has always been in a shutdown role, and the playoffs are really where that type of player sees his value rise. So I find it hard to believe Lehkonen's value will grow coming off a long playoff run where he got to play on the what might have been the coach's top line responsibility-wise with Danault and Gallagher, where he scored a huge memorable goal, and where he also flourished playing on a lower energy line with Byron and Evans. That's about as good as it gets for me for this player.

Going forward, we've seen how many wingers are now sitting ahead of Lehkonen on the depth chart: Hoffman, Gallagher, Caufield, Anderson, Toffoli, Drouin, and probably Armia. It doesn't seem probable that Lehkonen will be getting bigger minutes or better linemates or any PP time. So not sure what he would be betting on. I think the money per year is about right for a 3rd-4th line winger, just surprised he's not locked in for 3 years when Byron and Armia got those deals.

Is it Lehkonen betting on himself or MB saying   you need to show us more value before we consider giving you term or both? IMO I don’t think Lehkonen has shown as much potential or have attributes like Armia (size, power forward scarcity, few more goals) or Byron (speed albeit PB’s contract was negotiated in a cap expected to increase world) 
This is a potentially tradeable contract at that value so imo a pretty good negotiation 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Is it Lehkonen betting on himself or MB saying   you need to show us more value before we consider giving you term or both? IMO I don’t think Lehkonen has shown as much potential or have attributes like Armia (size, power forward scarcity, few more goals) or Byron (speed albeit PB’s contract was negotiated in a cap expected to increase world) 
This is a potentially tradeable contract at that value so imo a pretty good negotiation 

I'm agreed about Armia being more valuable than Lehkonen right now, but Lehkonen is way more valuable than Byron. Byron was horrid last year. He had one of the lowest Corsi's and expected goals rates on the team. Lehkonen was well ahead of him in both those categories. To boot, Lehkonen's performance on the PK was much better too. Lehkonen was 3rd on the team among forwards in terms of expected goals against per ice time, behind only Toffoli and Evans. Byron was less effective on the PK. In the post-season, he was #1 among forwards on the team for expected goals rate.

What is Lehkonen strong at? Very smart positionally. Strong stick work. Great on the forecheck. Decent puck control skills. He has poor finish around the net, but he's reasonably good in most other areas of the game. The Habs had a low PDO with Lehkonen on the ice, largely driven by a low shooting percentage. But they do dominate possession with him on and he holds his own in the bottom 6.

It will be interesting to see what happens with KK. He'll be looking for more money but didn't have a great year and was left out of the last 2 play-off games so his value sunk somewhat . If Bergevin can sign him for the same money as Lehtonen on a 2 or 3 yr deal I'd be ok with that because he remains a tradeable asset and is still really young . I'd like to see at least one more year of this kid in a Habs uniform to see if he can bust out of the rut , of course , unless there's a trade in the works . If he takes Lehtonen type money Montreal will still have over 3.3  mill in play with Weber's salary footing the bill ..... not exactly a bad situation to be in . 

Duh, it's been like that every year 

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-loss-of-key-players-could-loom-large-for-canadiens

Stu Cowan: Loss of key players could loom large for Canadiens

With Shea Weber, Phillip Danault and Corey Perry all gone, Habs could have hard time just making playoffs with the roster they have now.

With the roster the way it looks now — and with Carey Price coming off knee surgery and winger Paul Byron missing five months after hip surgery — you have to think the Canadiens will be in a fight just to make the playoffs.

20 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Duh, it's been like that every year 

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-loss-of-key-players-could-loom-large-for-canadiens

Stu Cowan: Loss of key players could loom large for Canadiens

With Shea Weber, Phillip Danault and Corey Perry all gone, Habs could have hard time just making playoffs with the roster they have now.

With the roster the way it looks now — and with Carey Price coming off knee surgery and winger Paul Byron missing five months after hip surgery — you have to think the Canadiens will be in a fight just to make the playoffs.

That is true. But they showed this playoffs what is possible when you act like a team so I hope they will build up on that in the regular season - if they work together and know what the guys next to them are doing it should be possible to reach the playoffs even if it will be a fight.