The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don;t know much about Gorton but I know he ran a successful rebuild and is clearly willing to go that route. It surprises me though because even if we hire a french gm people are not going to like this

I guess the thought process is this GM and the GM (new or MB) can handle the pressure and politics while Gorton figures out the hockey crap

A look at the bottom of the overall NHL standings this evening! (one week later)

26.  Chicago         21       7      12    2     16

27.   Seattle          21       7      13    1     15

28. Vancouver      22      6       14    2     14

29.  Montreal       23      6     15     2      14

30.  N.Y.I.             17       5     10     2      12

31.   Arizona         21       4     15     2      10

32.    Ottawa        19       4     14     1        9

Seattle jumps past the Habs. Habs catch Canucks. Islanders drop behind Habs, with 6 games in hand.  Habs now 10 points out of a wild card spot. Bruins have 5 games in hand.  Flyers have 3.  4 point game tonight, with the Canucks!

Fight for the Wright!

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price skated without pads Monday, returning to the ice for what's believed to be the first time in two weeks. A date for his return to full practice and then game action remains undetermined.

The question is: when he returns, will it be with the habs? or another team? Personally I dont mind keeping Price around.  If we go into a proper rebuild we should have more than enough cap to cover his salary but the question is: does Price want to go through yet another rebuild?  Obviously with the NMC he is in full control\ but it may be at the point where he's ready to move on. 

23 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The question is: when he returns, will it be with the habs? or another team? Personally I dont mind keeping Price around.  If we go into a proper rebuild we should have more than enough cap to cover his salary but the question is: does Price want to go through yet another rebuild?  Obviously with the NMC he is in full control\ but it may be at the point where he's ready to move on. 

Probably not this year unless he is able to return to a streak of solid form including possibly the Olympic team performance before the trade deadline of March 21. Otherwise we are selling him at a low value to escape salary and may not fetch much in return. The honourable thing to do is to provide trading opportunities to Carey based on his service to the organization and provide him the ability to play for a winner in his twilight years vs. gutting it out on a rebuild. 

4 hours ago, Disillusioned1 said:

After giving up 42 shots last night, the habs have given up 26, 33, 41, 34, 43, 36, 34, 39, 50 and 42 in the last 10, playing against at least couple of really bad teams.  No points for guessing which games they won.  Not only are they not scoring, they can't seem to limit the other teams' chances either.

The turnovers, the lack of offensive possessions are just brutal and when we don't have the puck, looks like we are just pylons in our D-Zone and can't recover the puck to prevent the shots on goal. We are not feared in breakouts, our penalty kill is a disaster, hence the shots on goal and the recipe for losses. You are bang on!

51 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

While watching the game last night the camera was focused on Luke R . I  think it was Garry Galley who said something to the effect that Luke Richardson has done a wonderful job with the defence .  

Ya, that raised my eyebrows. 

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

While watching the game last night the camera was focused on Luke R . I  think it was Garry Galley who said something to the effect that Luke Richardson has done a wonderful job with the defence .  

The question is: was he being facetious or do the media buy the MB Koolaid "we have so many injuries, poor us" excuse.    Yes, losing Weber and Edmundson sucks but even with the guys we have left over this defense should be better than it is. 

37 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The question is: was he being facetious or do the media buy the MB Koolaid "we have so many injuries, poor us" excuse.    Yes, losing Weber and Edmundson sucks but even with the guys we have left over this defense should be better than it is. 

Should it? we have three retreads or reclamation projects in Savard Wideman and Niku our best D man fell off a cliff and is actually hurting the team! Eddy would have been the most steady D man on the team but he is hurt Webber is done Romanov is still learning and has good and bad nights leaving Kulak who also has good and bad nights . Richardson has been handed a butter knife to go fight a gun fight!

Just now, ramcharger440 said:

Should it? we have three retreads or reclamation projects in Savard Wideman and Niku our best D man fell off a cliff and is actually hurting the team! Eddy would have been the most steady D man on the team but he is hurt Webber is done Romanov is still learning and has good and bad nights leaving Kulak who also has good and bad nights . Richardson has been handed a butter knife to go fight a gun fight!

Sorry I forgot about Norlinder......well he may turn out ok but this is not the year to find out!

47 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Dont get me wrong, im not saying it should be good.  With the players he's been given Richardson is starting the race going uphill.   But playing Savard this much has not made us better.  Playing Savard + Chiarot was a disaster on paper, a disaster in games and it took waaay too long to break them up - and then occasionally we go back to them. When armchair coaches are saying "this wont work" with full confidence but the coaches still try it for 5 games and realize "this wont work"... this is not a good sign. 

So while i 100% agree that he doesnt have a lot to work with, the deployment has been awful. 

25 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Dont get me wrong, im not saying it should be good.  With the players he's been given Richardson is starting the race going uphill.   But playing Savard this much has not made us better.  Playing Savard + Chiarot was a disaster on paper, a disaster in games and it took waaay too long to break them up - and then occasionally we go back to them. When armchair coaches are saying "this wont work" with full confidence but the coaches still try it for 5 games and realize "this wont work"... this is not a good sign. 

So while i 100% agree that he doesnt have a lot to work with, the deployment has been awful. 

I hear ya but does he make the decision on the pairings? at the end of the day there is a lot we don't know for sure! I am not looking to defend him that much but there have been so many odd things going on with this team the last few years it is hard to figure out what is really going on!

48 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I hear ya but does he make the decision on the pairings? at the end of the day there is a lot we don't know for sure! I am not looking to defend him that much but there have been so many odd things going on with this team the last few years it is hard to figure out what is really going on!

And thats fair. He's been listed as the defensive coach & PK coach so the assumption is that he has most of the say there but ultimately it comes down to DD accepting his plans... and, for all we know... MB sticking his nose in. Tough to say. 

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

38 minutes ago, maas_art said:

And thats fair. He's been listed as the defensive coach & PK coach so the assumption is that he has most of the say there but ultimately it comes down to DD accepting his plans... and, for all we know... MB sticking his nose in. Tough to say. 

TBH I don't care how much say he has, his name is listed as the D and PK coach he is ultimately responsible whether he allows someone else to make the decisions or he himself does. His department his responsibility, we hung Timmins draft failure on MB because he overseen Timmins why shouldn't we hang the PK and D failures over the last however long on Richardson seeing as he oversees them? We can argue the HC makes final decisions on deployment and players available for the PK and whatever but the system and pairings that is all on the defensive coach (Richardson).

5 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

TBH I don't care how much say he has, his name is listed as the D and PK coach he is ultimately responsible whether he allows someone else to make the decisions or he himself does. His department his responsibility, we hung Timmins draft failure on MB because he overseen Timmins why shouldn't we hang the PK and D failures over the last however long on Richardson seeing as he oversees them? We can argue the HC makes final decisions on deployment and players available for the PK and whatever but the system and pairings that is all on the defensive coach (Richardson).

It's hard to soar with eagles when you work with turkeys.