The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

1 hour ago, LenPa said:

That is true. But they showed this playoffs what is possible when you act like a team so I hope they will build up on that in the regular season - if they work together and know what the guys next to them are doing it should be possible to reach the playoffs even if it will be a fight.

Weber, Petry, Price, Gallagher , Byron all playing with injuries some severe. Drouin and Tatar not even dressing. This team can win and should be able to make the playoffs. Missing Danualt will hurt depending on what others do. I really think Poehling can fill that role. I think the biggest question mark is if JK can take the next step and become what everyone is hoping a true #2 center?

I believe that this team will make the playoffs this season. The new guys coming here all have a desire to play for the Habs, which will make them better player’s. Not sure about Hofmann on that one but maybe he will surprise me like Toffoli did. Savard will be much better then everyone assumes he will be. Still a good chance Eichel will come here in a trade. Much like the Bobby Smith deal when he was being unappreciated in Minnesota. We gave up some good players but became a much better team. 

I'm fully confident we will be a playoff team next season barring a rash of serious long term injuries. It's easy to say we squeaked in this year, but if you take into consideration the grueling schedule we endured, and the loss of key players with injuries, i have no doubt we would have contended for top spot in the division. I realize we will be in tougher next season, but i don't see any team in there that we can't beat on any given night ( maybe Ottawa :ph34r:).

7 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'm fully confident we will be a playoff team next season barring a rash of serious long term injuries. It's easy to say we squeaked in this year, but if you take into consideration the grueling schedule we endured, and the loss of key players with injuries, i have no doubt we would have contended for top spot in the division. I realize we will be in tougher next season, but i don't see any team in there that we can't beat on any given night ( maybe Ottawa :ph34r:).

Boston and Toronto are both weaker (Toronto in goal and Boston at center), Tampa doesn't have the depth they did but are still probably pretty strong, Florida and Montreal are about equal to each other, Detroit, Buffalo and Ottawa are still very very weak. I would say the final standings are: Tampa, Florida, Montreal, Toronto, Boston, Ottawa, Detroit and Buffalo

44 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Boston and Toronto are both weaker (Toronto in goal and Boston at center), Tampa doesn't have the depth they did but are still probably pretty strong, Florida and Montreal are about equal to each other, Detroit, Buffalo and Ottawa are still very very weak. I would say the final standings are: Tampa, Florida, Montreal, Toronto, Boston, Ottawa, Detroit and Buffalo

That sounds about right to me. We kept a very solid goalie tandem our D is roughly the same as Webber was playing hurt most of  the year it just showed! our forwards are better and I was never all that impressed with Dano he was a good shutdown center no more no less and frankly I think he held Tater and Gally back on many nights. If Drouin comes back to play for real he will be in better shape with more support around him. Savard is not as good as Webber when he is uninjured but he is better than the Webber we had most of last year so for me we are a little bit better at this point and when you add in CC and Hoffman for a whole season we should be much stronger overall.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

That sounds about right to me. We kept a very solid goalie tandem our D is roughly the same as Webber was playing hurt most of  the year it just showed! our forwards are better and I was never all that impressed with Dano he was a good shutdown center no more no less and frankly I think he held Tater and Gally back on many nights. If Drouin comes back to play for real he will be in better shape with more support around him. Savard is not as good as Webber when he is uninjured but he is better than the Webber we had most of last year so for me we are a little bit better at this point and when you add in CC and Hoffman for a whole season we should be much stronger overall.

Exactly lol

16 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah, it's really tough to say how the Atlantic will unfold next season. My prediction:

1. Toronto
2. Florida
3. Tampa Bay
4. Boston
5. Montreal
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Buffalo

16 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Hmm. I don't think our regular season goalie tandem was actually good at all. Price's regular season save percentage was 0.901. That is terrible. Jake Allen's was 0.907. Barely better. 0.907 was tied for 32nd in the league against goaltenders who played 10+ games. That is actually a very bad goalie tandem.

And that carries a $13.375 million cap hit. :ph34r:

29 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, it's really tough to say how the Atlantic will unfold next season. My prediction:

1. Toronto
2. Florida
3. Tampa Bay
4. Boston
5. Montreal
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Buffalo

I just don't see Mrazek and Campbell taking Toronto to top spot, Campbell's numbers are good but he has never played a starting role which could be taxing on him (never played more than 31 games). Mrazek on the other hand has horrible numbers when he plays more than 20-30 games. That is a huge gamble on 2 goalies not suited/never played more than 30 games.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I just don't see Mrazek and Campbell taking Toronto to top spot, Campbell's numbers are good but he has never played a starting role which could be taxing on him (never played more than 31 games). Mrazek on the other hand has horrible numbers when he plays more than 20-30 games. That is a huge gamble on 2 goalies not suited/never played more than 30 games.

Anderson already had garbage numbers last season starting 24 games, so... Campbell was noticeably better in 22 games. Hutchinson was solid in relief for eight games and he's also signed for next season as depth. Mrazek has a career 0.911 save percentage and he's had decent numbers over the last three seasons with Carolina. I take your point that no one is a 65+ game starter here, but Toronto isn't going to play any of them as 65+ game starters. They're going to roll with the hot hand and I anticipate both goaltenders (and possibly Hutchinson) will see time. Point is, Toronto isn't going to need amazing goaltending to do well in the regular season. They will simply outscore their opponents.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

1. Toronto
2. Florida
3. Tampa Bay
4. Boston
5. Montreal
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Buffalo

I dont think Toronto is going to be that good but we shall see.  I think the loss of Krecji is going to hurt the Bruins more than they know. 

If i had to guess:

1. Tampa
2. Florida
3. Toronto
4. Montreal
5. Boston
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Barfalo

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I can't tell you why, but I don't think Florida and Boston are going to be as good as people think

Taylor , Foligno and Reilly with a new 3 yr 3 mill deal ....no Rask , no Halak ...and no Krejci .1 mill in cap space so I don't see them as better this year ...Florida has some cap space with over 7 mill  signed Duclair for too much money and still had Bobrovsky on the books for 10 mill for another 5 years and they don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick in next year's draft ...I don't feel they are better either ....same with Toronto's D and the goalie tandem and the loss of Hyman so I don't see them as stronger even though everyone knows they will score goals 

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Hmm. I don't think our regular season goalie tandem was actually good at all. Price's regular season save percentage was 0.901. That is terrible. Jake Allen's was 0.907. Barely better. 0.907 was tied for 32nd in the league against goaltenders who played 10+ games. That is actually a very bad goalie tandem.

And that carries a $13.375 million cap hit. :ph34r:

Yes but lets not gloss over the fact that we had some injuries to a couple of our top 4 Dmen yes it is true Price was not 100% either but all in all having a coaching change injuries and the covid break and crazy string of games after all made it hard to point to one issue being the cause of all our issues. Price proved he still has it in the playoffs if the team in front of him can play a tighter game as they did during those playoffs the Goalies will be really good, I clearly recall a ton of defensive breakdowns by our forwards after we had scored last year. Not much a goalie can do on 2 on 0 and 3 on 1's! the team itself came together in the playoffs I see no reason it should all fall apart?

8 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

1. Toronto
2. Florida
3. Tampa Bay
4. Boston
5. Montreal
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Buffalo

Hard to predict, as always, how things shake out with injuries and luck and so on, but the presumption is that Det and Buf will be the bottom 2 teams in some order and that TB, Tor, and Fla will be good. Bos and Mtl are wildcards and just as last year, I think Ott is on the cusp of impressing people and will do a bit better than some pundits think they will. For now, I'd see it as

1. Fla

2. Tor

3. TB

4. Mtl

5. Bos

6. Ott

7. Det

8. Buf

21 hours ago, maas_art said:

I dont think Toronto is going to be that good but we shall see.  I think the loss of Krecji is going to hurt the Bruins more than they know. 

If i had to guess:

1. Tampa
2. Florida
3. Toronto
4. Montreal
5. Boston
6. Ottawa
7. Detroit
8. Barfalo

I feel ya. B) Even though I ranked Boston ahead of us in fourth, I do think it will be a close battle. We might make the playoffs next season... but it'll definitely be a harder division than we were in this season.

For some reason, I too feel like the FL teams are still gonna be very, very competitive.

Question # 1 - Florida has a solid coach but can Spencer Knight in his rookie season carry that much load and Bobrovsky rebound to compensate enough for the loss of Driedger?

Question #2 - Are the leafs solid enough in goal and can their 3rd and 4th lines be exploited - I don't see them running away with the division

Question #3 - Are the Bruins solid enough on their LD after the small Grzelcyk and can Ullmark carry the load?

Question #4 -The same old question - can the Habs score enough to win including our power play with the emergence of Caufield, Hoffman, - continuance of Toffoli, ascension of Suzuki and KK - Will Drouin and / or Anderson break thru? Can we just bury Ottawa?

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/dissecting-the-canadiens-free-agency-moves/c-325882910?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=CHCcontent&utm_content=EN-0803-Dumont

Dissecting the Canadiens' Free Agency moves

Special contributor Marc Dumont takes a deeper look at the newest Habs who signed on the dotted line as UFAs

42 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Hard to say what the state of the Habs is right now I still think there is one or two moves coming. I think there is still a chance we make a move for an impact player either a center or a Dman.

I think you're right. This is not a typical off season - i think MB believes we are close to winning a cup but we just lost Danault, Perry and Weber and while he maybe replaced some of what they brought, we still werent good enough to win with that roster.  So I think he makes a move & probably an impact one. Im sure he's working the phones & trying. I just hope he doesnt do anything rash. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I think you're right. This is not a typical off season - i think MB believes we are close to winning a cup but we just lost Danault, Perry and Weber and while he maybe replaced some of what they brought, we still werent good enough to win with that roster.  So I think he makes a move & probably an impact one. Im sure he's working the phones & trying. I just hope he doesnt do anything rash. 

The thing for me is this I liked Dano but he was not all that! he was a really good shutdown center but a dud on offence he had Tater and Gally with him both players were capable of scoring 25-30 goals how much more could they have scored with a center like Zuke! he did not really see himself as a third line guy and he wanted some serious cash for what he brings. I really really liked Perry but at the end of the day he is getting to the end of his rope and we have other guys who can fill some of the on ice role he provided for me his biggest impact was the leadership he showed for the young guys! they have done a couple of cup runs now and should not need him as much. Webber was hurt for most of the season so what was he really bringing us? we all could tell something was off so is Savard really going to be a downgrade? Hoffman should be an upgrade for us as he is a better shooter than Tater and should help our PP which will be a difference maker when it comes to winning games. I think we have more offence coming as we also have Drouin back or a player he gets traded for and we are a bit younger and faster so all in all I would say we are a bit better than last year so far.

38 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

The thing for me is this I liked Dano but he was not all that! he was a really good shutdown center but a dud on offence he had Tater and Gally with him both players were capable of scoring 25-30 goals how much more could they have scored with a center like Zuke! he did not really see himself as a third line guy and he wanted some serious cash for what he brings. I really really liked Perry but at the end of the day he is getting to the end of his rope and we have other guys who can fill some of the on ice role he provided for me his biggest impact was the leadership he showed for the young guys! they have done a couple of cup runs now and should not need him as much. Webber was hurt for most of the season so what was he really bringing us? we all could tell something was off so is Savard really going to be a downgrade? Hoffman should be an upgrade for us as he is a better shooter than Tater and should help our PP which will be a difference maker when it comes to winning games. I think we have more offence coming as we also have Drouin back or a player he gets traded for and we are a bit younger and faster so all in all I would say we are a bit better than last year so far.

I agree to an extent.  Hoffman, Perreault & Paquete should, to some degree, offset the loss of Danault & Perry.  We also added back Drouin, who I actually think is going ot be very energized (assuming we dont trade him before the season starts). Guys like Suzuki and JK continue to improve and, of course, we will have a full year of CC so that is a big boost. 

I understand what you're saying about Weber - and most of the regular season he looked, frankly, horrible.  Savard alone should be better than he was (when injured), but either way (regular season Weber, or savard) thats not an ideal situation for our defense.  Petry  is a quality top pairing Dman.  Edmundson is, to me, a #3-4. Then we have a bunch of guys (Chairot, Savard, Romanov, Kulak & Wideman) who are all decent options for #4-6... but we need another guy like Petry who can carry a pairing.  Edmunson on is own is not a top pairing DMan but next to Petry he looks a lot better.  

At this point I do believe MB will make a trade for an "impact" player but I am not convinced it will be on defense. I think he is (probably rightfully) concerned about Suzuki - JK - Evans - Pacquette - Poehling as his centre group. Maybe he has a plan. Maybe Hoffman or Perrault will go back to centre (where both have played at times) but i feel like he's still going hard after guys like Eichel. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I agree to an extent.  Hoffman, Perreault & Paquete should, to some degree, offset the loss of Danault & Perry.  We also added back Drouin, who I actually think is going ot be very energized (assuming we dont trade him before the season starts). Guys like Suzuki and JK continue to improve and, of course, we will have a full year of CC so that is a big boost. 

I understand what you're saying about Weber - and most of the regular season he looked, frankly, horrible.  Savard alone should be better than he was (when injured), but either way (regular season Weber, or savard) thats not an ideal situation for our defense.  Petry  is a quality top pairing Dman.  Edmundson is, to me, a #3-4. Then we have a bunch of guys (Chairot, Savard, Romanov, Kulak & Wideman) who are all decent options for #4-6... but we need another guy like Petry who can carry a pairing.  Edmunson on is own is not a top pairing DMan but next to Petry he looks a lot better.  

At this point I do believe MB will make a trade for an "impact" player but I am not convinced it will be on defense. I think he is (probably rightfully) concerned about Suzuki - JK - Evans - Pacquette - Poehling as his centre group. 

This season will be telling for JK. He needs to make the next step...will he? I think with the group of top 9 players available this could be a good year for Droin. There shouldn't be near as much pressure and he's going to have good situations to be in. This may be his break out season?