The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs lines, 2021-22 season.

With Drouin's return announced (not that I'm sure he'll actually be here come October), the framework for lines for me would work around

Caufield-Suzuki-Toffoli

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Lehkonen-Evans-Gallagher

Byron-Poehling-Ylonen

That being said, there's room there to add Armia in and a need to find an upgrade at center somewhere. Wouldn't be averse to seeing a trio of Saad-Granlund-Gallagher for example and allowing Evans to center Lehkonen and Byron or Lehkonen and Armia on the 4th line.

On 7/15/2021 at 9:51 PM, H_T_L said:

You can play GM in here and tell us your ideal line combos and D pairings.

If I can play GM, my 1st move is to put  you on waivers.  :frech1:

Ok I didn't know where to post this question/concern, so here we go. Read through the Timmins interview about our draft picks and while everything seemed like the standard answer one comment caught my attention. His final line in his response to why the Habs selected Mailloux. I am paraphrasing but essentially he said "We are looking forward to seeing him at training camp". Does this mean that they are hoping the whole thing blows over by then and management thinks that they already have a possible replacement for Weber? I would hope not, I didn't mind drafting Mailloux but at least make him earn the trust back before giving him a legitimate shot at a roster spot.

I wonder if Drouin is going to be shopped.

With the signings today:

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
Lehkonen - Evans - Gallagher
Drouin/Byron - Paquette/Poehling - Armia  

Cant see Drouin playing that far down the lineup and I think he'd look horrible on a checking line with Evans.  

Defense worries me:

Edmundon - Petry
Chairot - Savard
Romanov - Wideman
Kulak

All 7 guys are NHL quality (well Wideman should be) but we're sure lacking top-end talent. Get one guy to push someone back & we're a far better looking group. 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I wonder if Drouin is going to be shopped.

With the signings today:

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
Lehkonen - Evans - Gallagher
Drouin/Byron - Paquette/Poehling - Armia  

Cant see Drouin playing that far down the lineup and I think he'd look horrible on a checking line with Evans.  

Defense worries me:

Edmundon - Petry
Chairot - Savard
Romanov - Wideman
Kulak

All 7 guys are NHL quality (well Wideman should be) but we're sure lacking top-end talent. Get one guy to push someone back & we're a far better looking group. 

We have 6 top 6 wingers now, really: Anderson, Toffoli, CC, Gallagher, Drouin, and Hoffman. We don't have 3 scoring centers to play with them. We also have 3 bottom line wingers in Lehkonen, Byron, and Armia, and Armia can really play above that if needed, as can Ylonen. We have an excess of wingers and not enough quality at center and a terrible D corps. Something has to give. I doubt we're trading Anderson or Toffoli having just signed them last year or Hoffman and Armia having just signed now, CC is our budding star, and Gallagher has a no-trade clause on his new deal. So that leaves Drouin.

So either Drouin is going for a D man or else JK and Drouin are being packaged in a trade for a player like Eichel.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So either Drouin is going for a D man or else JK and Drouin are being packaged in a trade for a player like Eichel.

It would be a smart move & really flesh out this group.  That said, it leaves us with very little we could move to acquire a top defensman.   I doubt we could do it centred around Drouin though, and im not adding JK to any deal unless the returning player is young and a centre. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

It would be a smart move & really flesh out this group.  That said, it leaves us with very little we could move to acquire a top defensman.   I doubt we could do it centred around Drouin though, and im not adding JK to any deal unless the returning player is young and a centre. 

Drouin and KK for Eichel works for me! as long as the medical team feels he will be good after he heals up. I can only imagine how Eichel would be here with the fans and the wingers he would have to work with! even with a less mobile Dcorps we would be ok not all we could be but ok. I will say this if by some miracle Webber was back for  the playoffs I would really really not want to be a forward entering our zone in the playoffs!

6 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Drouin and KK for Eichel works for me! as long as the medical team feels he will be good after he heals up. I can only imagine how Eichel would be here with the fans and the wingers he would have to work with! even with a less mobile Dcorps we would be ok not all we could be but ok. I will say this if by some miracle Webber was back for  the playoffs I would really really not want to be a forward entering our zone in the playoffs!

I think we'd be giving up more. Buffalo has been asking for 4 assets for Eichel, albeit no one has done it so they may have to give in. They have an injured player on a big contract and he clearly wants out, so they don't have all the leverage in the world. It could be that JK + Drouin + our 1st gets it done.

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think we'd be giving up more. Buffalo has been asking for 4 assets for Eichel, albeit no one has done it so they may have to give in. They have an injured player on a big contract and he clearly wants out, so they don't have all the leverage in the world. It could be that JK + Drouin + our 1st gets it done.

We can also afford to let another asset go on wing I know they would not go for Byron but perhaps Lehks or someone else. There should be a way to make this work Eichel is a special player who got drafted by one of the dumpster fire teams in the league he may just blow people away when the games count.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yup. They've been asking for essentially 4 first rounders (picks or players who were picked there).  JK was 3rd overall.  Drouin was 3rd overall (albeit he's older but still fairly young).  + the first.

I dont think they are getting 4 but they may get 3 so that could do it.   Alternately if they didnt want Drouin you could do JK + Guhle + 1st + Byron (for some salary relief) 

11 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yup. They've been asking for essentially 4 first rounders (picks or players who were picked there).  JK was 3rd overall.  Drouin was 3rd overall (albeit he's older but still fairly young).  + the first.

I dont think they are getting 4 but they may get 3 so that could do it.   Alternately if they didnt want Drouin you could do JK + Guhle + 1st + Byron (for some salary relief) 

I would like to keep JK as our C depth even with Eichel is still thin with Evans as 3 and Paquette as 4. I wonder if we could go Drouin + Farrell + Guhle/Norlinder + 2023 1st

12 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I would like to keep JK as our C depth even with Eichel is still thin with Evans as 3 and Paquette as 4. I wonder if we could go Drouin + Farrell + Guhle/Norlinder + 2023 1st

Farrell is an interesting addition to your trade. I didn't know much about him, but I just read he was regarded as the USHL's best player just a few months ago. I wonder what his ceiling is. Seems like he could be a good trade chip, though!

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Pretty sure they are going to want a center coming back as Eichel was the man in Barfalo and KK could come right in and play at a good level.

1 minute ago, ramcharger440 said:

Pretty sure they are going to want a center coming back as Eichel was the man in Barfalo and KK could come right in and play at a good level.

Agree.  My understanding is that most insiders think they are demanding Suzuki & Bergevin wont do it.  JK would be the next obvious choice. I dont see them doing a deal that doesnt include a centre (and I dont think Evans or Poehling would cut it). 

While swapping 1 centre for another doesnt help our centre depth in terms of bodies, JK for Eichel would improve our centres to the point that the depth wouldnt be as much of an issue.  Right now you have Suzuki who can probably play 16-17 minutes in all situations.  JK who is likely going to be given 14-15 minutes but somewhat sheltered.   Eichel, would likely be given 20+ minutes  - and like Suzuki, in all situations.  That leaves only lik 22-23 minutes a night that your 3rd and 4th lines have to eat.  Thats a pretty substantial difference & Id be fairly comfortable going into the season with a centre group of  Eichel - Suzuki - Evans - Poehling/Paquette/Byron/Hoffman  

This is, of course, 100% based on Eichel's health. 

31 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Farrell is a center and fits with the rebuild. The issue with Farrell is his height. At 5'8" he might not make it as a top 6 NHL center. 

Im still hopeful MB will trade for someone on defense, but lets look at what we have if he doesnt:

Petry (RD)
Edmundson (LD)
Romanov (LD)
Chiarot (LD)
Savard (RD)
Wideman (RD)
Kulak (LD)

There's an outside chance someone like Brook (RD) or Norlinder (LD) make the jump but i dont want to hope too much right now.

Depth wise I think they will try:  
Edmundson - Petry (our 2 best at each position, it  makes sense)
Chiarot - Savard ( our next 2 highest paid & most experienced Dmen)
Romanov - Wideman 
Kulak

But I think that playing Savard and Chiarot (who are both very very similar players) together is not ideal.  Id much rather see (assuming we dont get anyone else) 

Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Savard
Chiarot - Wideman

Then you have a more mobile defensman (Petry, Romanov, Wideman) paired with a more shut down guy (Ed, Savard, Chiarot)  

Im not totally sure who your 2nd and 3rd pairings are but i think its better than what I think we'll see.  Again, still really holding out hope that with our surplus of top 6 wingers someone will get traded for a true top 3-4 PMD. 

Where you adding Matthieu Perrault  ? 1 yr  signed with your Montreal canadiens 

I think extra players who don’t cut it will go through waivers and if they clear Laval