some form of the above unless they pick someone else up  

Romanov has a tendency to get himself out of position - they will rein him in 

20 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Edmundson / Petry

Chiarot / Savard 

Kulak / Romanov / Wideman / Niku 

some form of the above unless they pick someone else up  

Romanov has a tendency to get himself out of position - they will rein him in 

God I hope they don't play Chiarot-Savard on the 2 pairing, that will make for a long season watching them both get blown by like a Pagani blowing by a fiat.

CC back on the ice today

Tyler Toffoli - Nick Suzuki - Cole Caufield
Josh Anderson - Christian Dvorak - Jonathan Drouin
Joel Armia - Jake Evans - Brendan Gallagher
Artturi Lehkonen - Mathieu Perreault - Alex Belzile
Rafaël Harvey-Pinard - Ryan Poehling - Jesse Ylönen
Michael Pezzetta - Gabriel Bourque

Alexander Romanov - Jeff Petry
Kaiden Guhle - David Savard
Ben Chiarot - Chris Wideman
Brett Kulak - Gianni Fairbrother

Jake Allen
Cayden Primeau
Samuel Montembeault

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

CC back on the ice today

Jake Allen
Cayden Primeau
Samuel Montembeault

It is interesting to see Guhle above Chiarot especially with the season so close. I wonder if this changes when Edmundson gets back.

9 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

CC back on the ice today

I actually quite like that top 9. Im not sure if Evans is a legit #3 at this point but with Armia & Gallagher on his wings, this could be a pretty effective 2 way line.

Curious if Poehling or Perreault have the inside track on that last centre spot... Perrault has a regular (Lehks) on one wing, but Poehling has the best offensive winger from those lines  (Ylonen) on his... will be very interesting to see... 

9 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

At this point id be shocked if they put Edmundson anywhere other than next to Petry but its interesting to see them playing Chiarot next to wideman. This is very promising because if you believe Guhle will be sent back down (maybe he gets a 9game tryout) then that spot is almost a placeholder.  Either for Edmundson or Romanov moving back & Ed taking his spot.

Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Savard
Chairot - Wideman

Is about the best we can hope for right now, with this roster & this coaching staff. 

18 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

It is interesting to see Guhle above Chiarot especially with the season so close. I wonder if this changes when Edmundson gets back.

Maybe they want to see what he can do given more responsibility / ice time . I expect him to be sent back to junior. There is no point keeping him if he's just going to sit in the pressbox or on the bench 

7 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Maybe they want to see what he can do given more responsibility / ice time . I expect him to be sent back to junior. There is no point keeping him if he's just going to sit in the pressbox or on the bench 

Agree on both counts.

I dont think he'd look out of place as a bottom pair player - many of his skills are already NHL level. But he'll learn more dominating lower levels this year than playing 3 pairing minutes with the big club.   

I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him in our lineup next year & playing important minutes within 2 - 3 years but this year is premature.

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

I actually quite like that top 9. Im not sure if Evans is a legit #3 at this point but with Armia & Gallagher on his wings, this could be a pretty effective 2 way line.

Curious if Poehling or Perreault have the inside track on that last centre spot... Perrault has a regular (Lehks) on one wing, but Poehling has the best offensive winger from those lines  (Ylonen) on his... will be very interesting to see... 

At this point id be shocked if they put Edmundson anywhere other than next to Petry but its interesting to see them playing Chiarot next to wideman. This is very promising because if you believe Guhle will be sent back down (maybe he gets a 9game tryout) then that spot is almost a placeholder.  Either for Edmundson or Romanov moving back & Ed taking his spot.

Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Savard
Chairot - Wideman

Is about the best we can hope for right now, with this roster & this coaching staff. 

First off, interesting to hear Ducharme say today that Edmundson isn't making much progress with his injury. He isn't worse but he also isn't any better and he's behind schedule on his recovery. So maybe the Habs believe Edmundson won't be ready for the start of the season and they're prepping for the next-best thing in their minds by having Romanov-Petry be their #1 pairing.

Chiarot-Wideman makes way more sense than Chiarot-Savard, and there's no doubt in my mind Chiarot is a 3rd-pairin D man, so hopefully that seat helps him to play better. It also wouldn't surprise me if the team thought Edmundson-Savard could be their #2 shutdown D pairing. Not very much puck movement there, but if they liked Chiarot-Weber as a shutdown pair, they could do the same with Ed-Savard. So could also be that Guhle is a convenient placeholder for Edmundson, even if that means giving Guhle 2-3 games to start the year before he goes down.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

First off, interesting to hear Ducharme say today that Edmundson isn't making much progress with his injury. He isn't worse but he also isn't any better and he's behind schedule on his recovery. So maybe the Habs believe Edmundson won't be ready for the start of the season and they're prepping for the next-best thing in their minds by having Romanov-Petry be their #1 pairing.

Chiarot-Wideman makes way more sense than Chiarot-Savard, and there's no doubt in my mind Chiarot is a 3rd-pairin D man, so hopefully that seat helps him to play better. It also wouldn't surprise me if the team thought Edmundson-Savard could be their #2 shutdown D pairing. Not very much puck movement there, but if they liked Chiarot-Weber as a shutdown pair, they could do the same with Ed-Savard. So could also be that Guhle is a convenient placeholder for Edmundson, even if that means giving Guhle 2-3 games to start the year before he goes down.

Probably right.  It looks like they are going to investigate deeper into JE's discomfort. Wouldn't surprise me to see Guhle for a few regular season games. Hopefully, JE will be back sooner than later.  Paired with Savard may make sense, on the PK, but 5 on 5, there is no puck mover, so, RoMANov probably drops down with Savard.

Lines at practice today as per Arpon Basu:

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

Armia/Lehkonen-Evans-Gallagher

Perreault-Poehling-Belzile/Ylönen

Romanov-Petry

Chiarot-Savard

Kulak-Wideman-Guhle (rotating)

Interesting notes from my end:

- Lehkonen rotating onto the third line with Armia instead of playing on the 4th. Again, if the 4th line was set, you'd think they'd just play it as such. I find it odd that Lehkonen isn't lining up on the 4th next to whoever they see playing with him. That said, FWIW, I personally like Lehkonen-Evans as a duo and would prefer to see them with Gallagher and Armia with Poehling-Ylonen as a fit.

- Poehling still here as the 4C, meaning they're really giving the kid a chance to win that spot. Also interesting that Ylonen is still here despite recent cuts. He has the history playing with Poehling, so wondering if they come a bit as a package. If Paquette can't go, do Poehling and Ylonen get a shot to start the year until Paquette +/- Hoffman are ready?

- Romanov-Petry looks like it will be a real thing going in the season with news Edmundson will remain out several weeks. Hopefully Romanov can earn a chance to stay there long-term, as that would be in our best interest.

- Chiarot-Savard, as we all predicted, has come to be and is our worst nightmare. Guhle, after a bad showing last night, might finally be on the outs. Norlinder and Niku still not taking a regular shift. Kulak-Wideman doesn't make a ton of sense though either. It's not as bad as Chiarot-Savard, as I'd rather have two guys with puck skill, but it's odd to line those two up together to start the year and play your two unskilled guys together.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Lines at practice today as per Arpon Basu:

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

Armia/Lehkonen-Evans-Gallagher

Perreault-Poehling-Belzile/Ylönen

Romanov-Petry

Chiarot-Savard

Kulak-Wideman-Guhle (rotating)

Interesting notes from my end:

- Lehkonen rotating onto the third line with Armia instead of playing on the 4th. Again, if the 4th line was set, you'd think they'd just play it as such. I find it odd that Lehkonen isn't lining up on the 4th next to whoever they see playing with him. That said, FWIW, I personally like Lehkonen-Evans as a duo and would prefer to see them with Gallagher and Armia with Poehling-Ylonen as a fit.

- Poehling still here as the 4C, meaning they're really giving the kid a chance to win that spot. Also interesting that Ylonen is still here despite recent cuts. He has the history playing with Poehling, so wondering if they come a bit as a package. If Paquette can't go, do Poehling and Ylonen get a shot to start the year until Paquette +/- Hoffman are ready?

- Romanov-Petry looks like it will be a real thing going in the season with news Edmundson will remain out several weeks. Hopefully Romanov can earn a chance to stay there long-term, as that would be in our best interest.

- Chiarot-Savard, as we all predicted, has come to be and is our worst nightmare. Guhle, after a bad showing last night, might finally be on the outs. Norlinder and Niku still not taking a regular shift. Kulak-Wideman doesn't make a ton of sense though either. It's not as bad as Chiarot-Savard, as I'd rather have two guys with puck skill, but it's odd to line those two up together to start the year and play your two unskilled guys together.

1. I like your suggestion for the bottom 2 lines Lehkonen-Evans-Gallagher and Armia-Poehling-Ylonen. Hopefully Poehling has another strong showing, even if he doesn't though he likely still gets a shot at 4C to start the year and prove that he just doesn't go as hard in training camp LOL.

2. Really like Romanov-Petry and also hope they remain together long term.

3. The bottom 2 pairings scare the hell out of me lol. I really like what Guhle has shown and up until last night did not look out of place. The issue may have been his partner last night (hopefully anyway) was Savard who has not showed very well all pre-season. even if we simply swap D partners for the bottom 2 pairings they would be infinitely better IMO. The best we could hope for IMO is that Guhle shows more offense in the final game and NIku is available then we line up

Romanov-Petry

Chiarot-Niku

Guhle-Savard

I highly doubt that happens though LOL

Habs practice Today:

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dvorak - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Perreault - Belzile
Lehkonen - Poehling - (Ylönen)-------->cut               Paquette back on Monday.  Looks like one more cut to make of the forward group, or Guhle down.

Kulak - Petry
Chiarot - Savard   ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Romanov - Wideman
Guhle - Niku

Allen
Montembeault
Primeau

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

Habs practice Today:

Lehkonen - Perreault - Belzile
Lehkonen - Poehling - (Ylönen)-------->cut               Paquette back on Monday.  Looks like one more cut to make of the forward group, or Guhle down.

Kulak - Petry
Romanov - Wideman
Guhle - Niku

Allen
Montembeault
Primeau

None of Perreault, Poehling, or Belzile has impressed me much at camp. Perreault will stay regardless because he's a vet, but the 4th line is shaping up to be a bit of a disaster for now. No real identity. When it was Perry-Staal-Armia, it was a heavy line that could cycle down low. When it was Lehkonen-Evans-Byron, it was a fast line that could forecheck. But if it ends up being Lehkonen-Perreault-Belzile, what does that line do? They don't hit, they don't stand out as a strong energy line or a strong defensive line and they don't look like they play the same style of game. It's a bit of a worrisome mess.

As for the D, I'd ask myself who are our 6 best healthy D men if we weren't looking at combos. In my view, it's Petry, Romanov, Savard, Kulak, Guhle, and Wideman. Maybe Niku or Norlinder would have snuck in there with more of a look, but not enough sample size to know how to use them yet. So based on what we have, I would personally line them up this way to start the year:

Romanov-Petry

Kulak-Savard

Guhle-Wideman

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

None of Perreault, Poehling, or Belzile has impressed me much at camp. Perreault will stay regardless because he's a vet, but the 4th line is shaping up to be a bit of a disaster for now. No real identity. When it was Perry-Staal-Armia, it was a heavy line that could cycle down low. When it was Lehkonen-Evans-Byron, it was a fast line that could forecheck. But if it ends up being Lehkonen-Perreault-Belzile, what does that line do? They don't hit, they don't stand out as a strong energy line or a strong defensive line and they don't look like they play the same style of game. It's a bit of a worrisome mess.

As for the D, I'd ask myself who are our 6 best healthy D men if we weren't looking at combos. In my view, it's Petry, Romanov, Savard, Kulak, Guhle, and Wideman. Maybe Niku or Norlinder would have snuck in there with more of a look, but not enough sample size to know how to use them yet. So based on what we have, I would personally line them up this way to start the year:

Romanov-Petry

Kulak-Savard

Guhle-Wideman

What no Chiarot? LOL! I like Guhle too but it is a bit much to put him ahead of Chiarot he is going to be a much better player for sure but he is 19 and as much as I want him to be he is not ready. It is a real shame Norlinder got hurt I was really looking forward to seeing him play enough to get a good look. As for Niku we will see him again for sure.

Monday October 11,--------->1030am

Habs practice Today:

Lehkonen - Perreault - Paquette
Poehling -Belzile.

Kulak - Petry
Romanov - Wideman
Guhle - Niku

Montembeault
Primeau

Allen worked with goaltending coach Eric Raymond.

Looks like Chiarot & Savard are going to be a thing.  A disaster waiting to happen!

1 minute ago, electron58 said:

Habs practice Today:

Poehling -Belzile.

Kulak - Petry
Romanov - Wideman
Guhle - Niku

Montembeault
Primeau

as per Dan Kramer

There’s your game 1 optimal lineup based on camp.

Question will be if Habs claim someone off waivers and send Poehling down. 

That's what I'm hoping. Barré-Boulet or Gabriel Carlsson.

21 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

Glad to see Guhle sent down. He is our best D prospect and will benefit from lots of ice time in all situations. 

I’m not taking anything away from Guhle and do agree with the decision to not rush him. We have a good D prospect pool and while you may call him the best, I’m very high on Jayden Struble’s ceiling and potential to translate to the pro game in the future. Others are high on Norlinder’s offensive potential and Jordan Harris as a steady Eddie, so we should be encouraged that we may have better replacements for Chiarot / Savard / Kulak Edmundson in the 2-3 year time frame. 

On 10/11/2021 at 11:57 AM, electron58 said:

Habs practice Today:

Poehling -Belzile.

Kulak - Petry
Romanov - Wideman
Guhle - Niku

Montembeault
Primeau

Allen worked with goaltending coach Eric Raymond.

Looks like Chiarot & Savard are going to be a thing.  A disaster waiting to happen!

I would like to see Lehkonen Evans Gallagher , it always seemed Lehks Gally worked good together. 

then Poehling,Perreault, Armia    keeps Armia on his natural side and gives good size to this line. Also Poehling could take face offs when needed. He seems to have gotten better in the circle. It will change when everyone healthy.

On 10/9/2021 at 12:57 PM, BigTed3 said:

So based on what we have, I would personally line them up this way to start the year:

Romanov-Petry

Kulak-Savard

Guhle-Wideman

It's moot because Guhle was sent down but do you think that if we had kept him it would have been the best thing for his development?  He may well have been (actually he certainly was) one of our 6 best D at camp but im not sure if that necessarily means its best for him to keep him with the big club.  I think sending him back was the right move for him - and therefore for the club, long term.   This year is going to be a mess no matter who we play i think.  We have to hope we somehow keep things out of our own zone because im not looking forward to seeing some of our slower D out at the same time. The only saving grace is that Weber wasnt particularly good for most of the regular season, so maybe Savard can fill that spot for the short term... 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

It's moot because Guhle was sent down but do you think that if we had kept him it would have been the best thing for his development?  He may well have been (actually he certainly was) one of our 6 best D at camp but im not sure if that necessarily means its best for him to keep him with the big club.  I think sending him back was the right move for him - and therefore for the club, long term.   This year is going to be a mess no matter who we play i think.  We have to hope we somehow keep things out of our own zone because im not looking forward to seeing some of our slower D out at the same time. The only saving grace is that Weber wasnt particularly good for most of the regular season, so maybe Savard can fill that spot for the short term... 

Oh, from the perspective of what's best for Guhle, I absolutely believe sending him down was the best move for him. My thoughts were more that if we were here, he's got more upside than Chiarot (who is older, slower, and an impending UFA). I think Guhle in the line-up for the season yields better results for the Habs than Chiarot there. But the move they made is what's best for Guhle and I'm 100% supportive of that decision.

17 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Oh, from the perspective of what's best for Guhle, I absolutely believe sending him down was the best move for him. My thoughts were more that if we were here, he's got more upside than Chiarot (who is older, slower, and an impending UFA). I think Guhle in the line-up for the season yields better results for the Habs than Chiarot there. But the move they made is what's best for Guhle and I'm 100% supportive of that decision.

Yeah I agree with this too 100% no point at all rushing the kid. If he keeps progressing like he has been next year or the year after when he gets here I would think he will be a beast for us to bring him up too soon could hurt his forward development as we have seen with other Dmen in the past. I am fairly sure Chiarot will be gone either at the deadline or for next season the hope is that during this season we can either  have one of our guys have a breakthrough or make a trade for someone meaningful. at the end of the day I think Chiarot was a placeholder in MB's mind.

7 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I would like to see Lehkonen Evans Gallagher , it always seemed Lehks Gally worked good together. 

then Poehling,Perreault, Armia    keeps Armia on his natural side and gives good size to this line. Also Poehling could take face offs when needed. He seems to have gotten better in the circle. It will change when everyone healthy.

I agree, that makes better sense.