Pretty obvious the lines as is are not working. I'd go to

Caufield-Suzuki-Armia

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

Toffoli-Brooks-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Evans-Paquette

Chiarot-Petry

Kulak-Savard

Romanov-Wideman

Only issue I have is the D, Chiarot has been bad and has not earned more than 3rd pairing minutes. However Savard and Wideman have been worse and Romy barely showed up. So here is my rebuttal.

Kulak-Petry

Chiarot-Niku

Romanov-Savard

Wideman

Also is it too late to bring Guhle and Norlinder back? LOL JK we need them to complete their development in a winning atmosphere.

26 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Only issue I have is the D, Chiarot has been bad and has not earned more than 3rd pairing minutes. However Savard and Wideman have been worse and Romy barely showed up. So here is my rebuttal.

Kulak-Petry

Chiarot-Niku

Romanov-Savard

Wideman

Also is it too late to bring Guhle and Norlinder back? LOL JK we need them to complete their development in a winning atmosphere.

I actually think that Chiarot has been worse than Savard & Wideman, plus 3 penalties so far & I hate to say it, Petry has not looked good at all. On that note, I like the defense pairings you have, except for now, substitute Wideman back in for Niku. We won't be seeing Niku for a while. I'm sure he'll be sent down on a conditioning stint.

8 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Our PP looks absolutely dismal is everyone scared to shoot the friggin puck!!!!!!!!!!!!!  5 on 3 and we play hot potato looking for for the perfect shot WTH!!  Yeah I'm an armchair coach but even I know you can't score if you don't shoot!!

Yeah that has been going on for a while I think we need a new person running the PP. 

27 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah that has been going on for a while I think we need a new person running the PP. 

And it all starts with that useless telegraphed back pass to the trailing guy who then gets stopped at the blueline by the 4 guys sitting there waiting for him. Rinse and repeat.

42 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I think i heard the last time we were in the top 10 in the league was when Sheldon Souray was on our blueline... thats a looooong time. 

On 10/14/2021 at 10:33 PM, BigTed3 said:

Pretty obvious the lines as is are not working. I'd go to

Caufield-Suzuki-Armia

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

Toffoli-Brooks-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Evans-Paquette

Chiarot-Petry

Kulak-Savard

Romanov-Wideman

Close - morning skate for NYR game says your 1st 2 lines correct - 3rd line Evans is where you had Brooks. 3rd line has paq centering lehks and Perreault 

d - Romanov goes with Petry , Kulak with Wideman 

I would like to see Gallagher put on the wing with Dvorak and Drouin. Anderson could play with Evans and Toffoli.  That will give us a lot of speed on our third line. I don't mind giving Armia a shot with Suzuki and Caulfield as they are all good with the puck and Armoa is a big body who can create space. Our fourth line really misses Byron and adding him and Hoffman to the line-up cannot happen soon enough. The D needs and upgrade nad perhaps Edmundsen can provide that. I do not see Wideman making it through the whole year with this team, but I hope I am wrong.

9 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

I would like to see Gallagher put on the wing with Dvorak and Drouin. Anderson could play with Evans and Toffoli.  That will give us a lot of speed on our third line. I don't mind giving Armia a shot with Suzuki and Caufield as they are all good with the puck and Armia is a big body who can create space. Our fourth line really misses Byron and adding him and Hoffman to the line-up cannot happen soon enough. The D needs an upgrade and perhaps Edmundson can provide that. I do not see Wideman making it through the whole year with this team, but I hope I am wrong.

All good suggestions, but I think you hit the nail on the head, when you said that our D needs an upgrade. I don't think that we presently have the piece(s). Unfortunately, if we do NOT make an upgrade, Wideman will be here awhile.

I would like to try the following:

Habs Forward Lines
Jonathan Drouin         92    LW    L    6' 0"    203 
Nick Suzuki            14    C    R    5' 11"    205 
Josh Anderson         17    RW    R    6' 3"    227 

Tyler Toffoli            73    RW    R    6' 0"    196  
Christian Dvorak        28    LW    L    6' 1"    2004
Brendan Gallagher (A)    11    RW    R    5' 9"    184

Mike Hoffman            68    C    L    6' 0"    184
Joel Armia            40    RW    R    6' 3"    218
Cole Caufield            22    RW    R    5' 7"    166

Cedric Paquette        13    C    L    6' 0"    205    Aug 13, 1993    Gaspe, QC, CAN
Mathieu Perreault        85    C    L    5' 10"    189    Jan 5, 1988    Drummondville, QC, CAN
Alex Belzile            60    RW    R    6' 0"    197    Aug 31, 1991    Riviere-du-Loup, QC, CAN

Habs Defense Pairings
Ben Chiarot              8    LD    L    6' 3"    234    May 9, 1991    Hamilton, ON, CAN
Jeff Petry             26    RD    R    6' 3"    209    Dec 9, 1987    Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Brett Kulak             77    LD    L    6' 1"    197    Jan 6, 1994    Edmonton, AB, CAN
David Savard            58    RD    R    6' 1"    234    Oct 22, 1990    St-Hyacinthe, QC, CAN

Alex Romanov        27    RD/LD    L    6' 1"    209    Jan 6, 2000    Moscow, RUS
Chris Wideman         20    RD    R    5' 10"    180    Jan 7, 1990    St. Louis, MO, USA

Habs Goalies
Jake Allen             34    G    L    6' 2"    190    Aug 7, 1990    Fredericton, NB, CAN
Sam Montembeault        35    G    L    6' 3"    199    Oct 30, 1996    Becancour, QC, CAN

5 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I would like to try the following:

Habs Forward Lines
Jonathan Drouin         92    LW    L    6' 0"    203 
Nick Suzuki            14    C    R    5' 11"    205 
Josh Anderson         17    RW    R    6' 3"    227 

Tyler Toffoli            73    RW    R    6' 0"    196  
Christian Dvorak        28    LW    L    6' 1"    2004
Brendan Gallagher (A)    11    RW    R    5' 9"    184

Mike Hoffman            68    C    L    6' 0"    184
Joel Armia            40    RW    R    6' 3"    218
Cole Caufield            22    RW    R    5' 7"    166

Cedric Paquette        13    C    L    6' 0"    205    Aug 13, 1993    Gaspe, QC, CAN
Mathieu Perreault        85    C    L    5' 10"    189    Jan 5, 1988    Drummondville, QC, CAN
Alex Belzile            60    RW    R    6' 0"    197    Aug 31, 1991    Riviere-du-Loup, QC, CAN

Habs Defense Pairings
Ben Chiarot              8    LD    L    6' 3"    234    May 9, 1991    Hamilton, ON, CAN
Jeff Petry             26    RD    R    6' 3"    209    Dec 9, 1987    Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Brett Kulak             77    LD    L    6' 1"    197    Jan 6, 1994    Edmonton, AB, CAN
David Savard            58    RD    R    6' 1"    234    Oct 22, 1990    St-Hyacinthe, QC, CAN

Alex Romanov        27    RD/LD    L    6' 1"    209    Jan 6, 2000    Moscow, RUS
Chris Wideman         20    RD    R    5' 10"    180    Jan 7, 1990    St. Louis, MO, USA

Habs Goalies
Jake Allen             34    G    L    6' 2"    190    Aug 7, 1990    Fredericton, NB, CAN
Sam Montembeault        35    G    L    6' 3"    199    Oct 30, 1996    Becancour, QC, CAN

I could definitely see Toffoli Dvorak Gally (Toffoli replaces Tatar ) Dvorak =Danault) similar games should work with Gally

I'd like to see Drouin/ Suzuki/Caulfield They all play a creative game and I think would feed off each other

Hoffman Evans Anderson ( more of a straight line forecheck with speed group)

Lehkonen Poehling Armia ( I think Poehling with solid players could work) * Can't be worse.   

4 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I could definitely see Toffoli Dvorak Gally (Toffoli replaces Tatar ) Dvorak =Danault) similar games should work with Gally

I'd like to see Drouin/ Suzuki/Caulfield They all play a creative game and I think would feed off each other

Hoffman Evans Anderson ( more of a straight line forecheck with speed group)

Lehkonen Poehling Armia ( I think Poehling with solid players could work) * Can't be worse.   

When he came over a lot of the Arizona fans seemed to think he would match up well next to Galagher.  Im certainly ok with trying it although to be honest that line last looked good to me & I think Dvorak's points will come.  

The play of the Suzuki-Caufield is a bit worrisome, but I also think their points will come too, they just seem off.   Evans has had patches where he's looked pretty good & someone pointed out that he has a better PPG at this age/stage of his career (16 pts in his first 63 nhl games. Danault had 10 in his first 53.)

The 4th line is still a huge mess. I would really like to see what Brooks can do there.

But lets face it, Dvorak likely will get going. Toffoli should get going, Suzuki and Caufield will be ok... but that defense?

Even Petry looks bad.   Savard, Chiarot, Romanov.. all brutal.  Kulak and Wideman have been ok for stretches but both are not top 4 guys (although none of our others are either).. 

I sure hope Playoff Edmundson comes back & gives us at least 1 pairing that is ok.... because right now, our defense looks, arguably, the worst its looked in a decade or more.  Bergevin has consistently shown he has no idea how to build a defense corps. 

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

When he came over a lot of the Arizona fans seemed to think he would match up well next to Galagher.  Im certainly ok with trying it although to be honest that line last looked good to me & I think Dvorak's points will come.  

The play of the Suzuki-Caufield is a bit worrisome, but I also think their points will come too, they just seem off.   Evans has had patches where he's looked pretty good & someone pointed out that he has a better PPG at this age/stage of his career (16 pts in his first 63 nhl games. Danault had 10 in his first 53.)

The 4th line is still a huge mess. I would really like to see what Brooks can do there.

But lets face it, Dvorak likely will get going. Toffoli should get going, Suzuki and Caufield will be ok... but that defense?

Even Petry looks bad.   Savard, Chiarot, Romanov.. all brutal.  Kulak and Wideman have been ok for stretches but both are not top 4 guys (although none of our others are either).. 

I sure hope Playoff Edmundson comes back & gives us at least 1 pairing that is ok.... because right now, our defense looks, arguably, the worst its looked in a decade or more.  Bergevin has consistently shown he has no idea how to build a defense corps. 

I think Edmonson should definitely help stabilize the defense. It wasn't just the post season Edmonson had a great season and was one of the top + guys in the league. He should help out Petry quite a bit. I did think right away the team would miss Weber more than fans were saying. 

4 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I think Edmonson should definitely help stabilize the defense. It wasn't just the post season Edmonson had a great season and was one of the top + guys in the league. He should help out Petry quite a bit. I did think right away the team would miss Weber more than fans were saying. 

100% not sure where the idea that he was somehow much better in the postseason came from?

5 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I did think right away the team would miss Weber more than fans were saying. 

Yeah, as bad of a season as Weber had (by his standards) he was doing a lot of important things and he took a lot of tough minutes off of less skilled guys.  

47 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

100% not sure where the idea that he was somehow much better in the postseason came from?

He was good in the regular season but exceptional in the post season. He was arguably our best dman in the post season. In the regular season he was easily top 3 but i dont think many would have said he was better than Petry or Weber in the regular season.  So its not a slight against his regular season play - either would be welcome - but just saying that if he came back playing the way he did in the playoffs, we would be in much better shape.  Either will help. 

With Hoffman expecting to play tomorrow, we're making some progress with the lines today. At practice, the Habs had

Tofofli-Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

Hoffman-Brooks-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Perreault-Armia

Romanov-Petry

Chiarot-Savard

Kulak-Niku

The good:

- Hoffman back in gives us another much-needed weapon.

- Glad they didn't touch the Dvorak line just to try to get another line going

- Interesting to see Brooks at 3C, which is something I had suggested, albeit unclear if he will stay there or if he's only there because Evans took a therapy day. Would like to see Brooks stay between Hoffman and Gallagher and then Evans (who has played reasonably well so far this season) centering Lehkonen (whom he has chemistry with) and Armia.

- Paquette out of the top 12

- Niku also back.

The bad:

- Perreault still in (for now). Hopefully Evans takes his spot.

- Chiarot still partnered with Savard, perhaps the most egregious choice in the line-up and one that remains a constant despite other changes. Why not Kulak-Savard as 2nd pair and Chiarot-Niku as 3rd?

Lines at practice this morning

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield 

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson 

Hoffman-Brooks-Gallagher 

Lehkonen-Perrault-Armia

Pacquette-Belzile

Romanov-Petry

Chiarot-Savard 

Kulak-Niku

Wideman

Montembeault 

Evans was given a therapy day and Allen worked with goalie coach Raymond separately from the main group.

Nice to see Niku upsetting Wideman hopefully he surprises us and is a good addition and maybe pushes Savard to 3rd pairing to separate him from Chiarot. Also hope Evans comes back and replaces Perrault to see if Brooks improves our center position.

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

With Hoffman expecting to play tomorrow, we're making some progress with the lines today. At practice, the Habs had

Tofofli-Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

Hoffman-Brooks-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Perreault-Armia

Romanov-Petry

Chiarot-Savard

Kulak-Niku

The good:

- Hoffman back in gives us another much-needed weapon.

- Glad they didn't touch the Dvorak line just to try to get another line going

- Interesting to see Brooks at 3C, which is something I had suggested, albeit unclear if he will stay there or if he's only there because Evans took a therapy day. Would like to see Brooks stay between Hoffman and Gallagher and then Evans (who has played reasonably well so far this season) centering Lehkonen (whom he has chemistry with) and Armia.

- Paquette out of the top 12

- Niku also back.

The bad:

- Perreault still in (for now). Hopefully Evans takes his spot.

- Chiarot still partnered with Savard, perhaps the most egregious choice in the line-up and one that remains a constant despite other changes. Why not Kulak-Savard as 2nd pair and Chiarot-Niku as 3rd?

LOL was just typing that out

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Yes. If Brooks can actually manage a 3rd line role, our forward depth changes dramatically.  Our 4 line was a mess but if you can now turn that into Lehkonen-Evans-Armia? Thats an absolutely terrific 4th line.  

10 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Nice to see Niku upsetting Wideman hopefully he surprises us and is a good addition and maybe pushes Savard to 3rd pairing to separate him from Chiarot. Also hope Evans comes back and replaces Perrault to see if Brooks improves our center position.

Niku has the tools to replace Wideman for sure. Im not sure the coaches put him ahead of Savard at any point.   I think Savard would be ok in that role (he's still learning the system so i was planning on giving him at least 10-15 games) but Chiarot will never work as his regular partner.  Still hoping Romanov gets back on track.   Romanov-Savard  Chiarot-Niku is probably the best we can realistically hope for at this point. 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yes. If Brooks can actually manage a 3rd line role, our forward depth changes dramatically.  Our 4 line was a mess but if you can now turn that into Lehkonen-Evans-Armia? Thats an absolutely terrific 4th line.  

Niku has the tools to replace Wideman for sure. Im not sure the coaches put him ahead of Savard at any point.   I think Savard would be ok in that role (he's still learning the system so i was planning on giving him at least 10-15 games) but Chiarot will never work as his regular partner.  Still hoping Romanov gets back on track.   Romanov-Savard  Chiarot-Niku is probably the best we can realistically hope for at this point. 

I was just keeping everyone on their own side and only while Edmundson is out. For me it doesn't really matter who is 2nd and who is 3rd pairing as they will have similar icetime and roles. Once Edmundson is back that should push Kulak out of the tip 6 (hopefully lol) not that he has been bad just because I think Niku will thrive in his role.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, as bad of a season as Weber had (by his standards) he was doing a lot of important things and he took a lot of tough minutes off of less skilled guys.  

He was good in the regular season but exceptional in the post season. He was arguably our best dman in the post season. In the regular season he was easily top 3 but i dont think many would have said he was better than Petry or Weber in the regular season.  So its not a slight against his regular season play - either would be welcome - but just saying that if he came back playing the way he did in the playoffs, we would be in much better shape.  Either will help. 

Fair enough.

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Evans was given a therapy day and Allen worked with goalie coach Raymond separately from the main group.

Habs coach Dominique Ducharme says Jake Evans has an upper-body injury but that it’s not serious and it’s not a concussion.

Further,  Dominique Ducharme says that Jake Evans is questionable for Tuesday night's game.