The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs lines, 2021-22 season.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Lines at practise Monday Nov 1 ( ....ok ..... )

71 - Jake Evans 14 - Nick Suzuki 73 - Tyler Toffoli
68 - Mike Hoffman 92 - Jonathan Drouin 17 - Josh Anderson
61 - Artturi Lehkonen 28 - Christian Dvorak 40 - Joel Armia
55 - Michael Pezzetta 24 - Adam Brooks 13 - Cedric Paquette

My first reponse was Carbo 2.0 but I will say this:   If Drouin has success as a centre, this would make a massive difference to our forward group.   

The bigger issue is the defense and the system of course but we shall see.  Not sure i love Evans on that top line but I wonder if thats a placeholder until CC gets his confidence back.  Give you a few games dominating (hopefully) in the minors and then bring him up to play on the Suzuki-Toffoli line and drop Evans back to the bottom 6. 

5 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Lines at practise Monday Nov 1 ( ....ok ..... )

71 - Jake Evans 14 - Nick Suzuki 73 - Tyler Toffoli
68 - Mike Hoffman 92 - Jonathan Drouin 17 - Josh Anderson
61 - Artturi Lehkonen 28 - Christian Dvorak 40 - Joel Armia
55 - Michael Pezzetta 24 - Adam Brooks 13 - Cedric Paquette

I can't tell if those are the actual lines, or if they got scrambled during transition. 

On 10/20/2021 at 5:57 PM, ramcharger440 said:

Yep I knew he probably just wants to spend a few days with his dad I doubt he will be gone for a long period of time but you never know.

Looking like  JE will be away a little longer.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

My first reponse was Carbo 2.0 but I will say this:   If Drouin has success as a centre, this would make a massive difference to our forward group.   

The bigger issue is the defense and the system of course but we shall see.  Not sure i love Evans on that top line but I wonder if thats a placeholder until CC gets his confidence back.  Give you a few games dominating (hopefully) in the minors and then bring him up to play on the Suzuki-Toffoli line and drop Evans back to the bottom 6. 

20 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Actual lines . Yes jake Evans in the 1 st line 🤦‍♂️🤣😂

Couple of thoughts on this:

- Evans could also be a placeholder for Gallagher if Gally is ready to go soon. He's reportedly a gametime decision again Tuesday.

- With Paquette suspended, Evans could slide back to the 4th line if needed.

- Do recall that Evans got some time on the "1st line" last playoffs as well so it was something Ducharme wasn't afraid to do.

- With Caufield down, I think they want him to regain confidence, I don't think this is going to be a 1-2 game conditioning stint. I think best-case scenario is that he lights it up and is back in 4-5 games but maybe they are just going to keep him down there a few months and not rush him now that they know the season isn't going well. This move does theoretically open the door for someone else to pop up to the NHL though. Ylonen is the first guy who comes to mind as a potential scoring winger replacement. Poehling is back from injury and if he performs, could also get a crack. And I don't think RHP, Dauphin, Dea, Belzile, or Vejdemo are off the table either.

Ducharme announced today that Norlinder will play his final conditioning stint game with Laval Nov 10, after which he will return to Montreal. They said the plan was for him to be given a few games in Montreal to see how he could perform at the NHL level, then make a decision on whether he stays or goes back to Sweden. He hasn't performed very well in the AHL in his first two games, but I'd be interested to see how he does next to Petry. May as well know what you have...

Norlinder-Petry

Kulak-Niku

Romanov-Wideman

Not very hopeful this works out, but may as well get guys in there who can generate puck recovery and movement and see if this helps your forward group. Better IMO than having Chiarot and Savard and have guys who play poor defence and don't generate offence either.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Ducharme announced today that Norlinder will play his final conditioning stint game with Laval Nov 10, after which he will return to Montreal. They said the plan was for him to be given a few games in Montreal to see how he could perform at the NHL level, then make a decision on whether he stays or goes back to Sweden. He hasn't performed very well in the AHL in his first two games, but I'd be interested to see how he does next to Petry. May as well know what you have...

Norlinder-Petry

Kulak-Niku

Romanov-Wideman

Not very hopeful this works out, but may as well get guys in there who can generate puck recovery and movement and see if this helps your forward group. Better IMO than having Chiarot and Savard and have guys who play poor defence and don't generate offence either.

No way it works out because DD, MB & LR all seem think Chiarot & Savard are our #2 and #3 best defensmen with Weber and Edmundson injured. 

Not loving Dvorak in the role he's been given. Not loving Hoffman this high in the lineup at ES. With Poehling playing well, give him two big wingers with speed and create a line that's a match-up problem for the other team. I'd like to see

Toffoli-Suzuki-Gallagher

Armia-Poehling-Anderson

Lehkonen-Dvorak-Evans

Hoffman-Brooks-Pezzetta

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Would demote Pezzetta and Paquette, recall Ylonen, and go to

Toffoli-Suzuki-Armia

Caufield-Drouin-Anderson

Lehkonen-Evans-Gallagher

Poehling-Dvorak-Ylonen

Just need to do Paquette,  1 for 1.   He brings zero value.

• 2 weeks later...

With Clague claimed, it adds another body to the left side, this one with offensive potential. Have to believe that it unfortunately spells the end of Norlinder in Montreal for the season (or an imminent trade for Ben Chiarot), but regardless, we still have

1. Only one competent RHD

2. No need/room for Savard

I'd line them up

Clague-Petry

Norlinder-Chiarot

Romanov-Kulak

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

With Clague claimed, it adds another body to the left side, this one with offensive potential. Have to believe that it unfortunately spells the end of Norlinder in Montreal for the season (or an imminent trade for Ben Chiarot), but regardless, we still have

1. Only one competent RHD

2. No need/room for Savard

I'd line them up

Clague-Petry

Norlinder-Chiarot

Romanov-Kulak

Yeah I think Clague could be good with Petry but I like Petry with Eddy too that gives us some real options now. if we could somehow move Savard......and perhaps pick up another good puck moving Rhd we could have something workable. Gorton has impressed me with this pick up! it never would have happened with MB! it show some flexibility and forward thinking.

5 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah I think Clague could be good with Petry but I like Petry with Eddy too that gives us some real options now. if we could somehow move Savard......and perhaps pick up another good puck moving Rhd we could have something workable. Gorton has impressed me with this pick up! it never would have happened with MB! it show some flexibility and forward thinking.

Well Clague was actually on waivers earlier in the year and everyone passed on him (and I wanted to claim him back then too), so we know MB had decided against him recently. Definitely glad we have a GM like Gorton willing to give a younger player with skill a chance. You can argue MB signed Niku, but Niku hasn't been given much opportunity here and seems to be more of a liability than Clague appears to be.