The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 If i were GM

H_T_L

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I mentioned Allen as a guy we could look at dealing. Well here's a comparable who was just traded this past off-season: Darcy Kuemper. Kuemper was dealt for a 1st, a 3rd, and a pretty good D prospect in Conor Timmins. So let's look at the numbers:

- Kuemper is 31, just a few months older than the 31 year-old Jake Allen. No real difference here.

- Kuemper is an impending UFA, so had this one year left on his deal at 4.5M. Allen has one more year left after this one but at 2.875M. Arguably, Allen's contract is a better option for a team to acquire, holding his rights for two playoff runs instead of one while paying less against the cap.

- Kuemper last year played in 27 games and posted a 2.56 GAA and .907 save percentage. Allen played in 29 games and posted a 2.68 GAA and .907 save percentage. Pretty similar.

- The year before, Kuemper played 29 games and posted a 2.22 GAA and .928 save percentage. In 24 games, Allen posted a 2.15 GAA and .927 save percentage. Pretty similar yet again. Kuemper went 3.47 GAA and .913 in the post-season that year, while Allen went 1.89 GAA and .935.

- For their careers, Kuemper has played 255 games and has a 2.49 GAA and .916. Allen has played 332 games and has 2.53 GAA and .912.

These guys have stats that are almost the mirror image of each other, they're the same age, and as noted, Allen has more experience and what I think is a better contract. So if that's the comparable, I am 100% looking around to offer Jake Allen if the return is a 1st and a blue chip prospect.

So who might be interested? I just posted in the rumor thread that the Oilers are apparently in on Chiarot. Well how about swinging them Chiarot AND Allen and asking for their 1st rounder, Philip Broberg, and Dylan Holloway. They have huge holes at LHD and goalie and if they think they're a Cup aspirant, they need to get better support for McDavid and company. Another team to target might be Vegas. They clearly want to go all in and they've been used to having a better platoon in net. Maybe they want to upgrade Lehner-Brossoit. Only problem here is that they've depleted their picks and prospect pool with all their other trades, so it might be difficult to find a good return. The Bruins are another team with big aspirations but bad goaltending. Do they really want to go into the post-season with Linus Ullmark as the guy responsible for helping them win in what could be Bergeron's last year? As I've posted before, their 2023 1st rounder could be a good starting point as an ask, given that might end up being a lottery pick.

Just a few thoughts on a move no one's really been talking about but that could be a great option to get a useful return.

I really like all these ideas but unfortunately I don't see us making a big splash. I think the organization as a whole will take the stand pat approach and only move out guys like Chiarot, Kulak, Lehkonen, Wideman, Perrault and Pacquette as deadline deals. Also I don't see Edmonton letting both Broberg and Halloway go maybe you can entice them to move 2 1sts but doubt they let 2 prospects go.

• H_T_L locked this topic