The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 NHL News and Scores

1 minute ago, electron58 said:

MontageGuyLafleur-28-octobre-1024x576.jpg

After announcing that Guy Lafleur’s number 4 would be retired across the league last May, the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, in collaboration with the Quebec Remparts, is proud to announce that the official ceremony will occur on October 28, 2021 at the Videotron Centre.

My all-time favourite player. He was so exciting to watch!  Congrats Guy!!!

Nice to see that happening. 

Ryan Pulock was extended by the New York Islanders late on Wednesday night. The contract is for eight years and is worth a total of $50 million. The first five years include a no-trade clause, and the last three include a limited no-trade clause.

Oilers Inexplicably Move Zach Hyman Off Top Line Ahead of NHL Opener

It didn’t even take a single game before fans started wondering what exactly head coach Dave Tippett was doing with his roster. The Edmonton Oilers signed big-ticket free agent Zach Hyman to a seven-year contract and many believed the plan was to put him with a player like Connor McDavid so he could dig up loose pucks and retrieve them on a regular basis. Not only that, but Hyman was to be the perfect complimentary piece for the star players on the team, as he’d had experience in that role in Toronto. Apparently, that’s not in Tippett’s early game plan.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Hyman-RNH-Yamamoto
Foegele-Ryan-Sceviour
Perlini—McLeod-Turris
Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Ceci
Russel-Bouchard
Smith
Koskinen

Sounds like the Oilers have an abundance of riches.

Seems to be working so far.  Scored their 2nd goal!

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

Oh.  OK. Sorry.  Just thought that it was odd, that someone (kinot-2) would post that in a HAB Forum.

I've been a Habs fan since ''59

Tkachuk signs a 7 year deal for an average of $8.2m per.

Interesting that they didnt do the full 8 year term.  

$8.2m is a little more than Suzuki... i dont think many GMs would trade Suzuki for Tkachuk straight up. I think this shows (as many have said) that Nick left some money on the table so that his deal would fit within MB's internal salary cap structure. 

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Wow , So this what a 40 to 50 pt player is worth now a days 

https://www.nhl.com/player/brady-tkachuk-8480801

The thing is that even though he's young and has averaged 20g and 45-50points a season he's also really bad defensively.  Like those people who are still saying "should have drafted Tkachuk" instead of JK, he wouldnt have played even 1/2 the number of games he has with us because his defensive game would never have stood for Julien or DD.   He's been sheltered defensively in Ottawa but he's still really bad in that aspect of the game.   I have no doubt he could become a complete player if he wanted, but he's certainly not one now and thats a crazy amount of money for him at this stage... 

The Columbus Blue Jackets have suspended Mikko Lehtonen for failing to report to the AHL after he was assigned to the Cleveland Monsters this week. The team has also placed him on unconditional waivers and will terminate his contract

Last year's Chris Wideman?

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

The thing is that even though he's young and has averaged 20g and 45-50points a season he's also really bad defensively.  Like those people who are still saying "should have drafted Tkachuk" instead of JK, he wouldnt have played even 1/2 the number of games he has with us because his defensive game would never have stood for Julien or DD.   He's been sheltered defensively in Ottawa but he's still really bad in that aspect of the game.   I have no doubt he could become a complete player if he wanted, but he's certainly not one now and thats a crazy amount of money for him at this stage... 

I agree he hasn't earned this contract yet. 

Petr Mrazek left the Toronto Maple Leafs – Ottawa Senators game one period early today.

He stopped the 37th shot he faced from the Senators, this one was a quick leg stop off Victor Mete. The Leafs were already having a difficult time of it, down 3-0 in Ottawa. The fateful shot came just as time was winding down in the second period. Drake Batherson had flicked a pass to Mete down the middle of the ice. Mete had little time so he hurried an otherwise harmless shot. Unfortunately for the 29-year old netminder, something was tweaked as he dropped into his butterfly.

Defenseman John Klingberg  left the Dallas Stars season opener against the New York Rangers with an injury.

Klingberg appeared to injure his left leg, which bent awkwardly after colliding with Rangers forward Chris Kreider in the first period. Klingberg would return to the game after going to the locker room but was not on the bench for the third period, with the Stars announcing that he suffered a lower-body injury.

Goaltender Braden Holtby left the Dallas Stars season opener against the New York Rangers with an injury.

Holtby left the game after taking a stick to the head while trying to freeze the puck. Anton Khudobin entered the game for the Stars in the third period.  Holtby joined Dallas on a one-year, $2 million contract after being bought out by the Vancouver Canucks.

Oilers Sign Sceviour
It was rumored the Oilers were working on a deal for PTO forward Colton Sceviour and late Tuesday night, TSN’s Ryan Rishaug reported that a deal was pretty much done, but could be announced Wednesday. That turned out to be an accurate report as the Oilers signed Sceviour to a one-year, two-way contract worth $750K.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/boston-bruins-agree-to-eight-year-contract-with-charlie-mcavoy/c-326871158

9.5M/year for McAvoy? Yikes. I mean he's good and still fairly young for a DMan but that seems like a ton of cash.

Yikes is right.  I like McAvoy a lot but is he an elite 1st pairing dman? Im not so sure.  At 23 there's still time to expand on his game but he's currently a 35-40 point dman.  He's a solid 1st pair guy - thats top 60 in the league - probably top 30... but Im not sure id rank him in the top 10 in the entire league.  That seems like an awful lot of $$. 

This makes him the 3rd highest paid defensman in the league if im not mistaken.   Karlsson & doughty at 11.5 and 11 respectively & then Hamilton,  Josi, Makar and Subban at 9m each... 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yikes is right.  I like McAvoy a lot but is he an elite 1st pairing dman? Im not so sure.  At 23 there's still time to expand on his game but he's currently a 35-40 point dman.  He's a solid 1st pair guy - thats top 60 in the league - probably top 30... but Im not sure id rank him in the top 10 in the entire league.  That seems like an awful lot of $$. 

This makes him the 3rd highest paid defensman in the league if im not mistaken.   Karlsson & doughty at 11.5 and 11 respectively & then Hamilton,  Josi, Makar and Subban at 9m each... 

There seems to be quite the movement to lockup young players for potential as part of your core- clearly the Bruins think McAvoy will be part of their core 5-6 players. We have made the move with Suzuki, Anderson, Price, Gallagher and To some extent Petry, Evans , Armia and gulp Savard (ffs) - the latter 4 on 4 year deals. I wonder who our next core D player is as until a few of our prospects show something, we don’t have one , unless traded for.  I’m curious who Morgan Rielly will move to as he is certain to get 5 years and $7.5m or more.