The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 NHL News and Scores

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Darnell nurse 

8 years

$9.25 mllion

omg.  and this is why the oilers are not going to be good for a loooong time.  I like Nurse. He's a great player, id love to have him on my team but he's now the 3rd highest paid defensman in the NHL.  Karlsson (11.5) Doughy (11) and then Nurse.    Josi, Makar, Hamilton, Pietrangelo, Heiskanan etc etc etc.  All make less per season.  Nurse has ONE elite season  -  and even that is questionable when you figure he had 36 points in 56 games while playing behind an offense led by McDavid and Draitsaitl.  Petry had 42 points in 55 games last year playing behind an offense led by Suzuki and JK.   imho he's a $6-7m defensman at this stage.  Thats a huge overpayment to lock a guy up long term during a flat cap. 

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

omg.  and this is why the oilers are not going to be good for a loooong time.  I like Nurse. He's a great player, id love to have him on my team but he's now the 3rd highest paid defensman in the NHL.  Karlsson (11.5) Doughy (11) and then Nurse.    Josi, Makar, Hamilton, Pietrangelo, Heiskanan etc etc etc.  All make less per season.  Nurse has ONE elite season  -  and even that is questionable when you figure he had 36 points in 56 games while playing behind an offense led by McDavid and Draitsaitl.  Petry had 42 points in 55 games last year playing behind an offense led by Suzuki and JK.   imho he's a $6-7m defensman at this stage.  Thats a huge overpayment to lock a guy up long term during a flat cap. 

On the one hand I agree 100% but who else were they going to get if this did not work out for them? the problem they have is overall they are just too thin on D not enough good NHL level Dmen. We have a glut of mid level guys Petry is pretty good and Webber was great but at least we have enough solid Dmen to ice a fair team they are pooched!

Lawyer Asks That Bowman Be Investigated

As per a report by TSN, “a lawyer for a former Chicago Blackhawks player has asked the U.S. Center for SafeSport — the organization created by the U.S. Olympic Committee in 2012 — to investigate Blackhawks and U.S. Olympic men’s hockey team general manager Stan Bowman for allegedly covering up the sexual abuse of two former Blackhawks players.”

Claiming that Bowman covered up the sexual assaults, lawyer Susan Loggans contends that the fact Bowman is an NHL team official who also holds a position of major influence with USA Hockey is troubling.

Bowman is being connected to all of this because former Blackhawks skills coach Paul Vincent said during an interview that in May 2010, the two Chicago players who were allegedly assaulted by former Blackhawks video coach Brad Aldrich asked Vincent to request the team fire Aldrich and report the incident to police. Vincent said he made the request during a meeting with Bowman, team president John McDonough, vice-president of hockey operations Al MacIsaac and team sports psychologist James Gary. That request was denied.

14 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Jon Cooper named coach of team

canada if they go to the Olympic s 

That's good news.  He's a fine coach, but more importantly he's a lot more fun to listen to than most of the other guys

2 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

That's good news.  He's a fine coach, but more importantly he's a lot more fun to listen to than most of the other guys

For sure.
I think that when you get a bunch of the "best of the best" together, the most important thing is going to be keeping egos in check. I mean does a McDavid or a Crosby or a MacKinnon really have anything to learn from the coach? Probably not.

Cooper has been used to leading a very talented group so he should do well in the role. 

Something to do with his social media posts 

Toronto Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan says Dusty Imoo will not be joining the Toronto Marlies as their goaltending coach after the AHL club originally announced his hiring Sunday.

"Dusty Imoo will not be joining the Toronto Marlies," Shanahan's said in a statement.

"We made a mistake by not thoroughly following our organizational protocols when considering this candidate for the position of goaltending coach for the Toronto Marlies."

More to come...

Something to do with his social media posts 

Toronto Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan says Dusty Imoo will not be joining the Toronto Marlies as their goaltending coach after the AHL club originally announced his hiring Sunday.

"Dusty Imoo will not be joining the Toronto Marlies," Shanahan's said in a statement.

"We made a mistake by not thoroughly following our organizational protocols when considering this candidate for the position of goaltending coach for the Toronto Marlies."

More to come...

This one is a pretty interesting one because it seems like, Dusty Imoo actually never said, tweeted or even re-tweeted anything controversial.

This backlash seems to be entirely based on his "likes" on twitter.  Don't get me wrong, he's liked alot of very questionable posts, which certainly would lead one to believe (based on the sheer number) that he believes this stuff, but It seems like its a bit 'unfair' to persecute him simply because of his interests. I mean its well within their rights for the maple leafs to back away from him but its odd since it appears he's never been vocal in the media or social media about this stuff, as far as I can tell... 

15 hours ago, maas_art said:

This one is a pretty interesting one because it seems like, Dusty Imoo actually never said, tweeted or even re-tweeted anything controversial.

This backlash seems to be entirely based on his "likes" on twitter.  Don't get me wrong, he's liked alot of very questionable posts, which certainly would lead one to believe (based on the sheer number) that he believes this stuff, but It seems like its a bit 'unfair' to persecute him simply because of his interests. I mean its well within their rights for the maple leafs to back away from him but its odd since it appears he's never been vocal in the media or social media about this stuff, as far as I can tell... 

Persecute? :ph34r: Who is persecuting him?

As you mentioned, Toronto just decided not to hire him to be the goaltending coach of the Toronto Marlies.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

As you mentioned, Toronto just decided not to hire him to be the goaltending coach of the Toronto Marlies.

Well it does seem to be likely due to the factors mentioned. it is an odd world we live in, not sure when things go too far one way or the other that we are in fact moving forward.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

As I understand it, he was fired 2 days after he was hired.

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Its pretty much the dictionary definition of political persecution.   They dont like his politics, they rescinded their job offer, thus, punishing him, purely based on his political leanings. 

Im not saying the leafs are wrong - from what I can tell, i wouldnt want him working on/with my team either - but I find it interesting that in his case he lost his job because of what he had "liked" online - not even because of what he said or reposted.  

Patrice Bergeron resigns with Boston for 3 years $6.7 / yr 

I suppose they didnt have any real choice with Kreji leaving but he's gonna be 39 in the last year of that deal.. could be a bit risky.  Mind you, he looked great last year although injuries are becoming more common for him - he hasnt played a full 82 game season in his career, hasnt played more than 65 in a season since 2016-17

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

The NHL approved jersey ads for the 2022/2023 season 

Ya, about 8-9 years ago, I made a thread about it coming. I'm surprised it took them this long.