The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours

FWIW (from Eklund ) :rolleyes: .

"Trade chatter has surrounded Calgary Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau the past couple of seasons as he gets closer to free agency.

Those whispers are heating up again and Eklund from HockeyBuzz reports that the Canadiens are one of the teams showing interest.

Eklund adds that the Islanders, Wild, Senators and Kings are also in the mix for Gaudreau."

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

"Trade chatter has surrounded Calgary Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau the past couple of seasons as he gets closer to free agency.

Those whispers are heating up again and Eklund from HockeyBuzz reports that the Canadiens are one of the teams showing interest.

Eklund adds that the Islanders, Wild, Senators and Kings are also in the mix for Gaudreau."

Id be really shocked if we were in on Johnny Hockey.  One year away from free agency... just doesnt make sense for us unless its like some odd deal like Byron + ____ or something. Cant see us being remotely interesting based on what I expect they'd want for him (plus the flames would be much smarter to wait till close to the TD to move him)

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

if he was french maybe, but he's totally not a Bergevin guy

A Swedish newspaper reporting that Elias Pettersson says he and the Canucks are not yet close to a deal but that he's confident something will be worked out. He says he is fine with going back to the Canucks "for now" but that ultimately he wants to play for a team with a chance of winning every year. He says he thinks Vancouver will have a good enough team next year but that "when his next contract is due, he'll have to see whether it's still a fit for him" (to paraphrase). It doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of his current club. Bergevin has been in the rumor mill as having interest in Pettersson  and even of potentially offersheeting him. He's only 22 and almost a PPG player. Rather than an offersheet, I wonder if he's a more apt target for Bergevin than Eichel (who has the bigger contract and the injury concern). Would MB consider a similar package (ie Kotkaniemi, Drouin, 1st rounder, etc.) to Vancouver for Pettersson? Is Pettersson worth that much given he's got a reputation of being a bit soft at times and not as strong defensively as some other centermen? How much of an upgrade is he on Kotkaniemi longterm and what would it take to keep him here contract-wise?

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

A Swedish newspaper reporting that Elias Pettersson says he and the Canucks are not yet close to a deal but that he's confident something will be worked out. He says he is fine with going back to the Canucks "for now" but that ultimately he wants to play for a team with a chance of winning every year. He says he thinks Vancouver will have a good enough team next year but that "when his next contract is due, he'll have to see whether it's still a fit for him" (to paraphrase). It doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of his current club. Bergevin has been in the rumor mill as having interest in Pettersson  and even of potentially offersheeting him. He's only 22 and almost a PPG player. Rather than an offersheet, I wonder if he's a more apt target for Bergevin than Eichel (who has the bigger contract and the injury concern). Would MB consider a similar package (ie Kotkaniemi, Drouin, 1st rounder, etc.) to Vancouver for Pettersson? Is Pettersson worth that much given he's got a reputation of being a bit soft at times and not as strong defensively as some other centermen? How much of an upgrade is he on Kotkaniemi longterm and what would it take to keep him here contract-wise?

Personally, Id do that deal, understanding that he's not as well-rounded a player as someone like Eichel but - as you mentioned - injury concerns are a real factor with Eichel. 

I think Vancouver might consider it. They'd likely be more interested in JK + Guhle + 1st but we 'd have to give up some salary too (Byron?) 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Personally, Id do that deal, understanding that he's not as well-rounded a player as someone like Eichel but - as you mentioned - injury concerns are a real factor with Eichel. 

I think Vancouver might consider it. They'd likely be more interested in JK + Guhle + 1st but we 'd have to give up some salary too (Byron?) 

I like Petterson but giving up JK, a prospect and a first is IMO far too rich to give up for the incremental Centre difference over JK - Sure Elias is probably a 30 goal 70 point player vs what do we think JK’s ceiling potential for next year is - 15g, 40 points?  I would try to find a way to do the deal without giving up JK. 
nucks have plenty of cap room so an offer sheet won’t cut it 

6 minutes ago, claremont said:

I like Petterson but giving up JK, a prospect and a first is IMO far too rich to give up for the incremental Centre difference over JK - Sure Elias is probably a 30 goal 70 point player vs what do we think JK’s ceiling potential for next year is - 15g, 40 points?  I would try to find a way to do the deal without giving up JK. 

JK's potential is never going to be worth what we know Petterson can bring now! KK may end up going the other way we just don't know. I would make the deal too it is a better target than Eichel.

58 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Petterson sounds like a spoiled brat. 

People said Tyler Seguin was a brat and he helped the Stars reach the conference finals after the trade.

People said Subban was too loud and into himself and he helped Nashville get to the finals after he was dealt.

People said Kessel was a jerk and he helped Pittsburgh win after being shipped out of Toronto.

People said Dougie Hamilton was a loner and not a team guy and he's been one of the best D men in the league despite being traded.

People agreed that Lindros was a brat and he did okay in his career.

Sure, there are guys like Evander Kane or Mailloux with issues that seem like giant red flags. But for a guy to say he wants to win doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me. He's basically saying it's not about where he plays or how much money he makes, it's about team success. That isn't an awful thing for me. I'm all for excluding guys with a history of doing illegal or morally unethical things, but I wouldn't say no to a guy just because he's confident, cocky, brash, truthful, etc. If he can score goals and lead his team to victory, then let that do the talking.

14 hours ago, claremont said:

I dont know man. I have watched a lot of Pettersson, living out here in BC and I would say offensively he's a big step up from JK. I like Jesperi,but EP is a more offensively gifted player than Suzuki even. Ideally, sure, id love to get him AND retain Suzuki and JK but i dont think thats realistic.   You acquire a team's top young centre, you're going to have to give up one of yours.

Im sure its moot - i dont actually think MB would move JK for anything less than an eichel type player, but its interesting to speculate about. 

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I dont know man. I have watched a lot of Pettersson, living out here in BC and I would say offensively he's a big step up from JK. I like Jesperi,but EP is a more offensively gifted player than Suzuki even. Ideally, sure, id love to get him AND retain Suzuki and JK but i dont think thats realistic.   You acquire a team's top young centre, you're going to have to give up one of yours.

Im sure its moot - i dont actually think MB would move JK for anything less than an eichel type player, but its interesting to speculate about. 

I think he would move him for sure! notice how often KK gets pulled from the lineup compared to Suzuki. lack of trust = tradeable.

33 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I think he would move him for sure! notice how often KK gets pulled from the lineup compared to Suzuki. lack of trust = tradeable.

I agree with that logic on a guy like say, Kulak, but with young guys like JK and Romanov I think MB actually views them as more or less untouchable (except for an elite Eichel type player in which case no one is untouchable).  

I genuinely think the team believes they are helping players when they pull them out of the lineup or give them easier minutes.  I think they view these guys as important, core pieces, but they worry they aren't quite ready for the really tough assignments yet.  Its an old school mentality but, like a lot of this team's thinking, we're a bit behind on the times on this one imho. 

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

People said Tyler Seguin was a brat and he helped the Stars reach the conference finals after the trade.

People said Subban was too loud and into himself and he helped Nashville get to the finals after he was dealt.

People said Kessel was a jerk and he helped Pittsburgh win after being shipped out of Toronto.

People said Dougie Hamilton was a loner and not a team guy and he's been one of the best D men in the league despite being traded.

People agreed that Lindros was a brat and he did okay in his career.

Sure, there are guys like Evander Kane or Mailloux with issues that seem like giant red flags. But for a guy to say he wants to win doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me. He's basically saying it's not about where he plays or how much money he makes, it's about team success. That isn't an awful thing for me. I'm all for excluding guys with a history of doing illegal or morally unethical things, but I wouldn't say no to a guy just because he's confident, cocky, brash, truthful, etc. If he can score goals and lead his team to victory, then let that do the talking.

He basically said his team is a bunch of losers by saying he wants to play for a winner. He should have kept that to himself. How are his teammates going to look at him now? 

27 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

He basically said his team is a bunch of losers by saying he wants to play for a winner. He should have kept that to himself. How are his teammates going to look at him now? 

The statement was clumsy for sure, but I don't think he really said that. He also said that he thinks they can win next year. Unless he's made stupid statements in the past, I give him a pass. 

But I don't see Vancouver moving him at all

On 8/11/2021 at 2:38 PM, BigTed3 said:

I would definitely make that trade. But I would want assurances that he could be locked up for under $8 million per. With Zuks and Caufield needing new contacts soon, we need to try and keep it all under 8. Might be willing to add to the trade, but preferably some B level prospects (Strubble, Hillis, Yionen, Mysak)

This is Eklund so... huge grain of salt:

The Jackets are looking for a new home for Max Domi, and I am hearing Montreal may have interest in bringing him back to the Habs. Talks were described to me as “exploratory” but safe to say there is a mutual interest there.

Its an interesting idea if they felt like he could play centre further down the lineup.  Then you have Suzuki - JK - Domi - EvansOf course the Yotes would likely want a moderate asset for him (maybe a pick + prospect) but considering they left him exposed at the ED I doubt they think they can get much. 

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - JK -  Anderson
Drouin - Domi - Gallagher

Not a bad top 9 and you still have Armia, Lehkonen, Byron, Evans, Perreault, Paquette, Ylonen and Poehling to round out the bottom line (although 1 of those may have to go the other way in a deal). 

Galchenyuk Linked to Canadiens

Former Canadiens’ first-round draft pick Alex Galchenyuk could find his way back to the Canadiens. The Canadiens drafted the 27-year-old in 2012, third overall, to be their future top center. He started strong with the team, increasing his goal and point total in each of his first four seasons, reaching 30 goals and 56 points in the 2015-16 season. A wrist injury the following season slowed him down, but he bounced back the next season — his last with the Canadiens — and had his second-highest point total in his career with 51. He was traded to the Arizona Coyotes in the 2018-19 season and played with four other teams between then and last season.

Galchenyuk split last season between the Ottawa Senators and the Toronto Maple Leafs. He had one point in eight games with the Senators and 12 points in 26 games with the Leafs. He played mostly wing everywhere he went, and his days of being a center are far behind him. The Canadiens have shown interest, but with the team being very deep on the wings and needing a strong, experienced center, the odds of a reunion with Montreal are probably slim to none. Then again, you know to expect the unexpected.

57 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Galchenyuk Linked to Canadiens

Former Canadiens’ first-round draft pick Alex Galchenyuk could find his way back to the Canadiens. The Canadiens drafted the 27-year-old in 2012, third overall, to be their future top center. He started strong with the team, increasing his goal and point total in each of his first four seasons, reaching 30 goals and 56 points in the 2015-16 season. A wrist injury the following season slowed him down, but he bounced back the next season — his last with the Canadiens — and had his second-highest point total in his career with 51. He was traded to the Arizona Coyotes in the 2018-19 season and played with four other teams between then and last season.

Galchenyuk split last season between the Ottawa Senators and the Toronto Maple Leafs. He had one point in eight games with the Senators and 12 points in 26 games with the Leafs. He played mostly wing everywhere he went, and his days of being a center are far behind him. The Canadiens have shown interest, but with the team being very deep on the wings and needing a strong, experienced center, the odds of a reunion with Montreal are probably slim to none. Then again, you know to expect the unexpected.

Yeah,,,, the slim to none description is pretty much right on. I don't see any roster spot for Chucky on this team as is.

49 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Yeah,,,, the slim to none description is pretty much right on. I don't see any roster spot for Chucky on this team as is.

Unless they think he could be a centre.

I guess there's a possibility that Ducharme and Julien disagreed on whether he was a winger or a centre?  Its possible, although I agree, very unlikely. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I guess there's a possibility that Ducharme and Julien disagreed on whether he was a winger or a centre?  Its possible, although I agree, very unlikely. 

nah the only way I see Chucky back is if we make a trade for Eichel or Dvorak or whoever and it costs us a couple of wingers going the other way

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

:4224: Been there, done that, didn't work.