The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Rumours of Domi or Galchenyuk being linked with the Habs seem kind of wild to me. Would Bergevin really bring back either of those two? I feel like he wouldn't.

Galchenyuk i dont think there's any way he would. Wasnt he available on waivers at once point?  

Domi... very unlikely but you do have to wonder about changes in philosophy - remember that Ducharme was here for Domi's 72 pt season.. he and Julien may not have agreed on Domi's worth.. so i think there's a VERY slim chance he would be interested, but who knows. Maybe he appreciated Domi even less than Julien. 

I think at this point we have an enviable amount of depth at wing but a few major question marks at centre. Unless they are certain Domi could be a quality centre (dont think they are) It would be much more prudent to try to get a guy that slots into our depth somewhere around/between JK and Evans. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Looking for a left handed D man . Asking price for Jeff chychrun of Arizona is 2 1st round draft picks . His uncle is Luke Richardson . Make it happen 

I would offer 2023 and 2024 1st's and Yelonen or Tuch + maybe Byron or Chiarot to get the deal done

13 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Looking for a left handed D man . Asking price for Jeff chychrun of Arizona is 2 1st round draft picks . His uncle is Luke Richardson . Make it happen 

Do you mean Jakob Chychrun? Because im pretty sure Jeff Chychrun is older than me... 

13 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I would rather have traded for Jakob Chychrun instead of Dvorak. :lol: Would have happily tossed in our 2023 first rounder to go with the 2022 pick we're trading them for Dvorak.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would rather have traded for Jakob Chychrun instead of Dvorak. :lol: Would have happily tossed in our 2023 first rounder to go with the 2022 pick we're trading them for Dvorak.

I think we need both to be honest.  Chychrun would be a huge help to our d corps but without Dvorak, we'd be very very thin at centre.  Right now its still touch and go but at least you have 3 guys (Suzuki, Dvorak & Evans) who are NHL quality centres.    Im not sure if Poehling or Drouin or Pacquette can fill in that last role but without Dvorak id be a lot more worried. 

49 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I wonder how much he'll get on his next deal... could actually be a reaonable fit for us

He still makes $9m this year but is UFA next summer. I would think that NJ might entertain the idea of retaining some salary (might take a draft pick) and id take PK at any number under $6m (so they'd have to retain $3m or more) but it would mean losing another player (possibly in return in the trade).   

I just dont see MB swallowing his pride and allowing PK back. I know he publicly never said anything bad about Subban but I think he was happy to be rid of him when he could. I dont think Gallagher would be happy with a PK return and since Gally is our defacto captain this year... 

If we could acquire 23yo Chychrun for two 1sts, Kulak (1.85-1) & Byron (3.4-2), wow that would really solidify the backend.  I'd trade any 2 of our remaining 3 first round picks to do that (draft in Montreal next year or not).  

Edmundson (3.5-3)-Petry (6.25-4)
Chychrun(4.6-4)-Savard (3.5-4)
Chiarot(3.5-1)-Romanov(0.894-1)

Well it was a rumour the otherday ( Iguess thats why they are rumours )

Chychrun is not on the trade block

Craig Morgan: (responding to a now deleted tweet) Confirm from sources that Arizona Coyotes defenseman Jakob Chychrun is not on the trade block.

It shouldn’t be a surprise that he’s not available as they want to build around him.

https://www.bardown.com/jakob-chychrun-could-not-have-been-more-sad-to-see-christian-dvorak-get-traded-1.1690536

On 8/18/2021 at 11:32 AM, jennifer_rocket said:

Rumours of Domi or Galchenyuk being linked with the Habs seem kind of wild to me. Would Bergevin really bring back either of those two? I feel like he wouldn't.

The Galchenyuk rumors are back again today with yet another source. This time, it's NHL agent David Ettedgui, who writes that Bergevin sees Galchenyuk as a target to be a cheap offensive option for 3rd line LW. He says the Habs are negotiating with Galchenyuk and that if Galchenyuk is willing to play wing, they are open to signing him.

For his part, Galchenyuk apparently spent most of his summer in Montreal, and his girlfriend is from here, so there's a connection that could link him back to Montreal. Plus, he still has friends on the team. So from his side of things, it could make sense that he wants to come back. The part I don't get is that we don't have a need for more scoring wingers. We have way bigger needs elsewhere. The only two ways this makes sense in any way are if

1. The Habs have a plan to sign a cheap LW and then trade one of the guys they already have to address another need. Knowing who has just been signed in the past year or two (Toffoli, Anderson, Hoffman, Armia), who's too highly ranked right now to be dealt (Caufield) and who has a NMC (Gallagher), it basically leaves Drouin and Lehkonen as options to trade out.

2. They really do not see Poehling or Evans as an option for 3C and plan on moving Drouin back to the center spot. This seems to be the favored rumor among some of the media members.

If we did in fact move Drouin to center and sign Galchenyuk, then I highly doubt we'd play them together, and it would be odd to see Galchenyuk playing with Dvorak, knowing the latter would be getting the toughest match-ups. So that leaves him playing with Suzuki on an offensive line. So could we end up with

Galchenyuk-Suzuki-Caufield (reuniting the AG set-up to Suzuki-Caufield in the playoffs last year)

Toffoli-Drouin-Anderson

Hoffman-Dvorak-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Evans-Armia

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. No space for Poehling, Ylonen (who might be better/cheaper than Galchenyuk even), Perreault, or Paquette in the top 12. And not enthralled by the middle of the ice, nor any addressing of the weak D corps.

38 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The Galchenyuk rumors are back again today with yet another source. Galchenyuk-Suzuki-Caufield (reuniting the AG set-up to Suzuki-Caufield in the playoffs last year)

Toffoli-Drouin-Anderson

Hoffman-Dvorak-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Evans-Armia

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. No space for Poehling, Ylonen (who might be better/cheaper than Galchenyuk even), Perreault, or Paquette in the top 12. And not enthralled by the middle of the ice, nor any addressing of the weak D corps.

Adding Galchenyuk becomes another reclamation great hope bargain by MB which he’s noted for. I see Perreault as the 21-22 Frolik insurance- he’s not likely to play much and is injury backup. Ylonen is a major long shot imo, only has 29 games of nhl ice experience in the ahl and his development is probably best served by another season in Laval where he can demonstrate some stats and leadership. Drouin deserves a chance to succeed and produce - Centre is an interesting debate point for him. That leaves an interesting camp battle between injury prone Evans Poehling, Paquette , Chucky for 3 spots. When Byron comes back later in the year,  there’s issues unless injuries happen 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Adding Galchenyuk becomes another reclamation great hope bargain by MB which he’s noted for. I see Perreault as the 21-22 Frolik insurance- he’s not likely to play much and is injury backup. Ylonen is a major long shot imo, only has 29 games of nhl ice experience in the ahl and his development is probably best served by another season in Laval where he can demonstrate some stats and leadership. Drouin deserves a chance to succeed and produce - Centre is an interesting debate point for him. That leaves an interesting camp battle between injury prone Evans Poehling, Paquette , Chucky for 3 spots. When Byron comes back later in the year,  there’s issues unless injuries happen 

Evans has to pass through waivers to go down. With Danault and JK already gone, I highly doubt they will risk losing Evans. The odds of him making the team have to be over 99%. Vejdemo is also waiver-eligible and is much less of a risk to lose, but if he has a good camp, I think he'll be in the discussion to keep as well. I think all signs point to Ylonen going down to the minors, and Poehling is also waiver-exempt, so he's an easy demotion for the team to make too, especially coming off a big injury last year. I don't know if the team will actually look at Drouin at center but I do think they're willing to consider Evans and Paquette/Vejdemo as their 3rd and 4th line centers if Poehling doesn't impress.

Perreault IMO will make the team. He wasn't signed to not play here, and MB is not going to risk Drouin going down and having no Quebecers on the team again. He's a legit NHLer who could have signed elsewhere, even if he's a 4th liner. Paquette is a fringe NHLer, and maybe there will be more discussion around his being beaten out for a spot, but I still think the plan is for him to be on the roster come opening day as well. I still don't see a need for Galchenyuk here. There's a need for help at center, but Galchenyuk doesn't fill that need. He's not better than any of the wingers in our top 9 right now, so if we're signing him as a cheaper option at wing, it's because we're trading someone else to create that spot.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The Galchenyuk rumors are back again today with yet another source. This time, it's NHL agent David Ettedgui, who writes that Bergevin sees Galchenyuk as a target to be a cheap offensive option for 3rd line LW. He says the Habs are negotiating with Galchenyuk and that if Galchenyuk is willing to play wing, they are open to signing him.

For his part, Galchenyuk apparently spent most of his summer in Montreal, and his girlfriend is from here, so there's a connection that could link him back to Montreal. Plus, he still has friends on the team. So from his side of things, it could make sense that he wants to come back. The part I don't get is that we don't have a need for more scoring wingers. We have way bigger needs elsewhere. The only two ways this makes sense in any way are if

1. The Habs have a plan to sign a cheap LW and then trade one of the guys they already have to address another need. Knowing who has just been signed in the past year or two (Toffoli, Anderson, Hoffman, Armia), who's too highly ranked right now to be dealt (Caufield) and who has a NMC (Gallagher), it basically leaves Drouin and Lehkonen as options to trade out.

2. They really do not see Poehling or Evans as an option for 3C and plan on moving Drouin back to the center spot. This seems to be the favored rumor among some of the media members.

If we did in fact move Drouin to center and sign Galchenyuk, then I highly doubt we'd play them together, and it would be odd to see Galchenyuk playing with Dvorak, knowing the latter would be getting the toughest match-ups. So that leaves him playing with Suzuki on an offensive line. So could we end up with

Galchenyuk-Suzuki-Caufield (reuniting the AG set-up to Suzuki-Caufield in the playoffs last year)

Toffoli-Drouin-Anderson

Hoffman-Dvorak-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Evans-Armia

Ted I saw a similar report last offseason (almost exactly, right down to the GF and daughter living in Montreal) are we sure this is a new rumor and not just a recycled one? I don't really mind the idea of bringing back Chucky, even to play center on the 3rd line (his issues were never offense anyway and we could really use a good offensive center)

21 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Ted I saw a similar report last offseason (almost exactly, right down to the GF and daughter living in Montreal) are we sure this is a new rumor and not just a recycled one? I don't really mind the idea of bringing back Chucky, even to play center on the 3rd line (his issues were never offense anyway and we could really use a good offensive center)

Published on his website last night: https://www.davidettedgui.com/?no=55538&s=27

Again, I don't necessarily believe it and I don't see the fit, but FWIW that's what he's saying and it's an active story. There were other rumors of this a week or so ago.

To add on to the above, David Ettedgui also predicts that Jonathan Drouin will not be starting the season with the Habs, despite the announcement from Bergevin that he would be ready for camp. Drouin will be doing an interview with Chantal Maccabee on September 20th, so perhaps we will get more clarity then, but the rumors circulating around Drouin include issues related to anxiety, drug use, or other personal problems. Hopefully he was able to get the help he needed and that he's able to come back healthy.

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Galchenyuk would surprise me because i dont think he left on the best terms. That said, I dont think he has issues with any of the players (I think he and Gallagher are still close) which is more important than issues with the GM.  Subban, for example, might be quite useful for us (if salary is retained) but there's no way they bring him back with him and Gally being clearly not fans of each other.

I also believe we have way too many forwards and not enough (quality) defensmen. While i think some combination of this defense corps may be ok in the playoffs (especially with "playoff price")  Im not sure they are good enough (especially based on how i think they will be deployed) to get us to the playoffs. 

30 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

To add on to the above, David Ettedgui also predicts that Jonathan Drouin will not be starting the season with the Habs, despite the announcement from Bergevin that he would be ready for camp. Drouin will be doing an interview with Chantal Maccabee on September 20th, so perhaps we will get more clarity then, but the rumors circulating around Drouin include issues related to anxiety, drug use, or other personal problems. Hopefully he was able to get the help he needed and that he's able to come back healthy.

Ive been wondering about this for some time.  Im just not sure if he has any value in a trade (or whether Ettedgui is saying he wont be playing at all).  If its anxiety or performance related stress I could see MB sticking with him but if its substance abuse or something I wouldnt be surprised at all if MB is shopping him, just no idea what you could get for him seeing as Seattle just passed him up for free. 

Further Ettedgui's comments, he believes the opening night lineup will look like this:

Tyler Toffoli - Nick Suzuki - Cole Caufield
Mike Hoffman - Christian Dvorak - Josh Anderson
Artturi Lehkonen - Jake Evans - Brendan Gallagher
Mathieu Perreault - Ryan Poehling - Joel Armia

With Drouin not playing (Traded or out indefinitely) Ettedgui believes they want Lehkonen playing on the 4th line, they would sign AG27 to play LW, 3rd line and move Perreault to the 4th line. 

Not sure i buy it but i at least can see his reasoning. I cant see Perreault and Pacquette both being signed & then not on the roster. 

20 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Published on his website last night: https://www.davidettedgui.com/?no=55538&s=27

Again, I don't necessarily believe it and I don't see the fit, but FWIW that's what he's saying and it's an active story. There were other rumors of this a week or so ago.

Oh sorry, meant are we sure he wasn't recycling the story not you lol. I can't seem to find the story though. Basically it said many of the same things you outlined but also said he no longer holds any hard feelings toward MB or the organization. He realizes that the onus was on him to produce and he failed at that. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Further Ettedgui's comments, he believes the opening night lineup will look like this:

Tyler Toffoli - Nick Suzuki - Cole Caufield
Mike Hoffman - Christian Dvorak - Josh Anderson
Artturi Lehkonen - Jake Evans - Brendan Gallagher
Mathieu Perreault - Ryan Poehling - Joel Armia

With Drouin not playing (Traded or out indefinitely) Ettedgui believes they want Lehkonen playing on the 4th line, they would sign AG27 to play LW, 3rd line and move Perreault to the 4th line. 

Not sure i buy it but i at least can see his reasoning. I cant see Perreault and Pacquette both being signed & then not on the roster. 

That looks very close to my lineup. I think I had Ylonen for Perreault,  but maybe Ylonen is the first call up. Drouin & Chiarot ++ for PMD.