Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

To add on to the above, David Ettedgui also predicts that Jonathan Drouin will not be starting the season with the Habs, despite the announcement from Bergevin that he would be ready for camp. Drouin will be doing an interview with Chantal Maccabee on September 20th, so perhaps we will get more clarity then, but the rumors circulating around Drouin include issues related to anxiety, drug use, or other personal problems. Hopefully he was able to get the help he needed and that he's able to come back healthy.

Either way, JD on LTIR or traded means increased cap space. I take a flyer on Galchenyuk @ min. Used properly,  could be a plus. No risk high rewards. & he doesn't have to deal with Therrien,  the talent buster. Just look at the Flyers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Galchenyuk would surprise me because i dont think he left on the best terms. That said, I dont think he has issues with any of the players (I think he and Gallagher are still close) which is more important than issues with the GM.  Subban, for example, might be quite useful for us (if salary is retained) but there's no way they bring him back with him and Gally being clearly not fans of each other.

I also believe we have way too many forwards and not enough (quality) defensmen. While i think some combination of this defense corps may be ok in the playoffs (especially with "playoff price")  Im not sure they are good enough (especially based on how i think they will be deployed) to get us to the playoffs. 

 

Ive been wondering about this for some time.  Im just not sure if he has any value in a trade (or whether Ettedgui is saying he wont be playing at all).  If its anxiety or performance related stress I could see MB sticking with him but if its substance abuse or something I wouldnt be surprised at all if MB is shopping him, just no idea what you could get for him seeing as Seattle just passed him up for free. 

Value is in the cap. Time to move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Drouin & Chiarot ++ for PMD.

We're in an interesting position with Edmundson, Chiarot and Savard being very similar players (same salaries even).   They are all quality NHLers but we need someone other than Petry to move the puck.    One of those guys, packaged with one of our excess wingers would possibly do that.   Dont know if MB would consider it but there's defintiely some assets there. 

I would bet you could get Dunn from Seattle for a combination, they kraken may even throw in a prospect or pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

We're in an interesting position with Edmundson, Chiarot and Savard being very similar players (same salaries even).   They are all quality NHLers but we need someone other than Petry to move the puck.    One of those guys, packaged with one of our excess wingers would possibly do that.   Dont know if MB would consider it but there's defintiely some assets there. 

I would bet you could get Dunn from Seattle for a combination, they kraken may even throw in a prospect or pick. 

Hard to say about the Kraken being a good trade partner,  as they could have grabbed JD for free. Maybe they look at Lehkonen & Chiarot?  Although,  I  really like Lehkonen.  110% every game,  every season.  Tough to give him up. As long as you know what his strengths are, and don't expect 30 goals, the man is dependable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, electron58 said:

Either way, JD on LTIR or traded means increased cap space. I take a flyer on Galchenyuk @ min. Used properly,  could be a plus. No risk high rewards. & he doesn't have to deal with Therrien,  the talent buster. Just look at the Flyers.

I think if we were to take a chance on adding another forward on a low cost contract, Bozak makes the most sense. Even then I’m not sure it’s necessary, I think we’re pretty much set, but adding a face off specialist like Bozak would be more useful than Galcenyk. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I think if we were to take a chance on adding another forward on a low cost contract, Bozak makes the most sense. Even then I’m not sure it’s necessary, I think we’re pretty much set, but adding a face off specialist like Bozak would be more useful than Galcenyk. 

Pretty sure he signed with the Blues this AM. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I think if we were to take a chance on adding another forward on a low cost contract, Bozak makes the most sense. Even then I’m not sure it’s necessary, I think we’re pretty much set, but adding a face off specialist like Bozak would be more useful than Galcenyk. 

Yes. Yes he would have. But like maas_art said, resigned with Blues. Missed opportunity?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drouin back skating today at team facilities for the first time in months. Despite this, Big Georges Laraque stated that he knows what information David Ettedgui has and that "knowing what David knows, he wouldn't plan on Drouin being in the line-up to start the season either." So still completely unclear what is going on, but now multiple sources telling us to expect Drouin will not be with the Habs or not be ready for opening day. Has he asked for a trade? Is he still in therapy/rehab? Is he injured? Can't help but think this has been one of the worst off-seasons in Habs history... Weber, Danault, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, Fleury, Perry all gone. Byron out long-term. Drouin maybe not ready or back at all. Price not clearly ready to start the year either. Joel Bouchard leaving mysteriously as well. Sounds like there is some discontentment within the organization.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Drouin back skating today at team facilities for the first time in months. Despite this, Big Georges Laraque stated that he knows what information David Ettedgui has and that "knowing what David knows, he wouldn't plan on Drouin being in the line-up to start the season either." So still completely unclear what is going on, but now multiple sources telling us to expect Drouin will not be with the Habs or not be ready for opening day. Has he asked for a trade? Is he still in therapy/rehab? Is he injured?organization.

Very very odd.  The announced press conference on the 20th too... certainly feels like something is brewing but who knows what. 

 

36 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

 Can't help but think this has been one of the worst off-seasons in Habs history... Weber, Danault, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, Fleury, Perry all gone. Byron out long-term. Drouin maybe not ready or back at all. Price not clearly ready to start the year either. Joel Bouchard leaving mysteriously as well. Sounds like there is some discontentment within the organization.

Im not sure id call it one of our worst off seasons TBH.  Obviously there were some big changes but there were also big additions in Hoffman, Dvorak and Savard.  Lots of the usual tinkering (Paquettte, Perreault, Wideman) but some of those guys we lost were depth players too.  

I think we once again failed to address our biggest need (Impact Defense - not just bodies on defense) but Im not convinced we're worse than we were last season, we're just likely not better unless guys like Suzuki, CC, Romanov take big strides or someone else (Brook, Norlinder etc) surprises at camp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Drouin back skating today at team facilities for the first time in months. Despite this, Big Georges Laraque stated that he knows what information David Ettedgui has and that "knowing what David knows, he wouldn't plan on Drouin being in the line-up to start the season either." So still completely unclear what is going on, but now multiple sources telling us to expect Drouin will not be with the Habs or not be ready for opening day. Has he asked for a trade? Is he still in therapy/rehab? Is he injured? Can't help but think this has been one of the worst off-seasons in Habs history... Weber, Danault, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, Fleury, Perry all gone. Byron out long-term. Drouin maybe not ready or back at all. Price not clearly ready to start the year either. Joel Bouchard leaving mysteriously as well. Sounds like there is some discontentment within the organization.

You failed to mention the Logan Mailloux fiasco

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Very very odd.  The announced press conference on the 20th too... certainly feels like something is brewing but who knows what. 

 

Im not sure id call it one of our worst off seasons TBH.  Obviously there were some big changes but there were also big additions in Hoffman, Dvorak and Savard.  Lots of the usual tinkering (Paquettte, Perreault, Wideman) but some of those guys we lost were depth players too.  

I think we once again failed to address our biggest need (Impact Defense - not just bodies on defense) but Im not convinced we're worse than we were last season, we're just likely not better unless guys like Suzuki, CC, Romanov take big strides or someone else (Brook, Norlinder etc) surprises at camp. 

Not to say there weren't useful additions, but I guess what I meant was more that a lot of things kind of went wrong from the perspective of what you would have hoped for if you were MB...

- We know MB made an offer to Danault and wanted to keep him. They've somewhat replaced him with Dvorak, which could actually be an upgrade when you consider offensive potential, age, and contract. But then that doesn't account for the loss of JK. A year ago, I don't think MB was planning on having Danault walk.

- Speaking of JK, MB's hand was also forced here with the offersheet, which in turn probably forced him to pay more in the trade for Dvorak than he wanted to. The Habs apparently had interest in Dvorak for a while, so they could have easily acquired him before, and Bergevin admitted that being down Danault and Kotkaniemi, he felt more pressure to pull the trigger on that deal.

- Weber is the backbone of MB's plan and I'm sure he was left scrambling to fill that void. Not to mention we were already starting with an inadequate D corps, so the deficiencies there were only multiplied, and frankly Savard doesn't address any of the needs. He's simply another Chiarot/Edmundson type player.

- Drouin walking away last year was also likely not something the Habs had planned on accounting for going into last season. And it sounds like they still don't have full control over what's going on there.

- It also sounds like they wanted Bouchard back and he chose to keep the organization in the dark and then leave without much heads up.

- Hoffman is a good add, but he's really a replacement for Tatar, and this seems like a lateral move more than anything. It also wasn't the primary need to address, so I still think MB hasn't made us better at center or LHD and now he has a new hole at RHD. There's a real hope/need for some younger players to be ready and do more (CC, Poehling, Norlinder, Brook, Guhle, Suzuki, etc.)

- Mailloux was an awful pick and while that was under MB's control, the backlash was not, and now the kid's been suspended for half a year at a key developmental stage. Not ideal either.

So all in all, I think there were a lot of things that really didn't go according to MB's wishes, and I'm not sure he did enough to respond to those issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not to say there weren't useful additions, but I guess what I meant was more that a lot of things kind of went wrong from the perspective of what you would have hoped for if you were MB...

- We know MB made an offer to Danault and wanted to keep him. They've somewhat replaced him with Dvorak, which could actually be an upgrade when you consider offensive potential, age, and contract. But then that doesn't account for the loss of JK. A year ago, I don't think MB was planning on having Danault walk.

- Speaking of JK, MB's hand was also forced here with the offersheet, which in turn probably forced him to pay more in the trade for Dvorak than he wanted to. The Habs apparently had interest in Dvorak for a while, so they could have easily acquired him before, and Bergevin admitted that being down Danault and Kotkaniemi, he felt more pressure to pull the trigger on that deal.

- Weber is the backbone of MB's plan and I'm sure he was left scrambling to fill that void. Not to mention we were already starting with an inadequate D corps, so the deficiencies there were only multiplied, and frankly Savard doesn't address any of the needs. He's simply another Chiarot/Edmundson type player.

- Drouin walking away last year was also likely not something the Habs had planned on accounting for going into last season. And it sounds like they still don't have full control over what's going on there.

- It also sounds like they wanted Bouchard back and he chose to keep the organization in the dark and then leave without much heads up.

- Hoffman is a good add, but he's really a replacement for Tatar, and this seems like a lateral move more than anything. It also wasn't the primary need to address, so I still think MB hasn't made us better at center or LHD and now he has a new hole at RHD. There's a real hope/need for some younger players to be ready and do more (CC, Poehling, Norlinder, Brook, Guhle, Suzuki, etc.)

- Mailloux was an awful pick and while that was under MB's control, the backlash was not, and now the kid's been suspended for half a year at a key developmental stage. Not ideal either.

So all in all, I think there were a lot of things that really didn't go according to MB's wishes, and I'm not sure he did enough to respond to those issues.

When you put it all down in front of us, it is quite the eye opener.  It is rather depressing.  We are definitely weaker, and,  instead of being proactive,  bergebin is being reactive and that is always a disadvantage.  On an optimistic note, if he can steal a #2 or #3 PMD, he could salvage this off season. Hopefully,  bergebin is not putting all his marbles in the Norlinder basket. We could be in for another long season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/15/2021 at 12:08 PM, BigTed3 said:

Drouin back skating today at team facilities for the first time in months. Despite this, Big Georges Laraque stated that he knows what information David Ettedgui has and that "knowing what David knows, he wouldn't plan on Drouin being in the line-up to start the season either." So still completely unclear what is going on, but now multiple sources telling us to expect Drouin will not be with the Habs or not be ready for opening day. Has he asked for a trade? Is he still in therapy/rehab? Is he injured? Can't help but think this has been one of the worst off-seasons in Habs history... Weber, Danault, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, Fleury, Perry all gone. Byron out long-term. Drouin maybe not ready or back at all. Price not clearly ready to start the year either. Joel Bouchard leaving mysteriously as well. Sounds like there is some discontentment within the organization.

Ettedgui is ... well I got nothing nice to say about that waste of human breath

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hypothetical, would you give up Chiarot + Tuch + Harris + 1st + 2nd for Letang (half retained) + 2nd? Even if it requires a second move where we send Kulak to the Islanders for a 4th? All the while knowing this was a straight rental most likely as we may not be able to afford him next season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Hypothetical, would you give up Chiarot + Tuch + Harris + 1st + 2nd for Letang (half retained) + 2nd? Even if it requires a second move where we send Kulak to the Islanders for a 4th? All the while knowing this was a straight rental most likely as we may not be able to afford him next season.

Not sure the Habs would be willing to part with their 1st this year with the draft being in Montreal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Not sure the Habs would be willing to part with their 1st this year with the draft being in Montreal

Yup.  And regardless of the year, MB isnt giving up a 1st for any 34 year old player.  The only reason he gave up one for Dvorak is that we had two.   Letang can be exceptional but he's also had a history of injuries... at his age, i wouldnt be interested in for what Pittsburgh was asking.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Hypothetical, would you give up Chiarot + Tuch + Harris + 1st + 2nd for Letang (half retained) + 2nd? Even if it requires a second move where we send Kulak to the Islanders for a 4th? All the while knowing this was a straight rental most likely as we may not be able to afford him next season.

I feel like its too much to give up, though I'm not sure how good Tuch and Harris are. And all for a guy who could very easily get hurt and be gone all year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

I feel like its too much to give up, though I'm not sure how good Tuch and Harris are. And all for a guy who could very easily get hurt and be gone all year

Yeah that is sort of the way I was leaning as well but on the other hand if he has another 40+ point season it could be worth it to have both him and Petry in the lineup with potentially Weber returning for the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Hypothetical, would you give up Chiarot + Tuch + Harris + 1st + 2nd for Letang (half retained) + 2nd? Even if it requires a second move where we send Kulak to the Islanders for a 4th? All the while knowing this was a straight rental most likely as we may not be able to afford him next season.

Not any more. Maybe for Crosby. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...