The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours

4 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Hypothetical, would you give up Chiarot + Tuch + Harris + 1st + 2nd for Letang (half retained) + 2nd? Even if it requires a second move where we send Kulak to the Islanders for a 4th? All the while knowing this was a straight rental most likely as we may not be able to afford him next season.

Would be a disastrous deal for the Habs.  You make that type of deal when you are close to being a consistent contender and this roster isn’t even close. I realize prospects are just that with many having low percentage odds to make the roster vs acquiring proven talent but if there’s anything we need, it’s a development pipeline which has virtually failed us in prior years. Letang  simply put has 2 maybe 3 years left in a young mans game and is no longer a game breaker. Jordan Harris would be a prospect I could part with as we have some duplicate overlap at LD - Norlinder, Guhle, Struble. Tuch - he still has promise as a big LW so no to dealing him, and no to first round or 2nd round picks. 

7 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Hypothetical, would you give up Chiarot + Tuch + Harris + 1st + 2nd for Letang (half retained) + 2nd? Even if it requires a second move where we send Kulak to the Islanders for a 4th? All the while knowing this was a straight rental most likely as we may not be able to afford him next season.

No. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... interesting. Any takers and what would it cost?

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-insiders-pierre-lebrun-chris-johnston-gino-reda-nhl-vaccine-predators-blackhawks-rangers-1.1705708

LeBrun: Keep an eye on the Chicago Blackhawks, they have a surplus at centre and the name that’s retaining attention around the league is Dylan Strome. There’s some teams kicking tires on him and I think there’s a chance that he moves here over the next week or two. The Hawks, of course, got back Jonathan Toews this year and we wish him well this year after a year off taking care of his health. Kirby Dach is healthy, of course they traded for Tyler Johnson from Tampa, so they got too many bodies, and so Dylan Strome is the guy I think they’ve earmarked to potentially move and I think that could happen here in the short term. Remember, third overall pick in 2015, how time flies. 

30 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-insiders-pierre-lebrun-chris-johnston-gino-reda-nhl-vaccine-predators-blackhawks-rangers-1.1705708

LeBrun: Keep an eye on the Chicago Blackhawks, they have a surplus at centre and the name that’s retaining attention around the league is Dylan Strome. There’s some teams kicking tires on him and I think there’s a chance that he moves here over the next week or two. The Hawks, of course, got back Jonathan Toews this year and we wish him well this year after a year off taking care of his health. Kirby Dach is healthy, of course they traded for Tyler Johnson from Tampa, so they got too many bodies, and so Dylan Strome is the guy I think they’ve earmarked to potentially move and I think that could happen here in the short term. Remember, third overall pick in 2015, how time flies. 

I don't think he's a fit here. He's an interesting player in that he's a center with size and offensive ability, but he's probably on par with what Dvorak brings offensively, is worse defensively, and is a weak possession player. So I don't think he's an upgrade on Suzuki or Dvorak in the top 6 and he's not a guy playing a shutdown role either. To boot, he's an RFA after this season and will probably be due a bit of a raise, so there's some unknown in terms of what he's asking for. If Chi really feels Tyler Johnson is a better player than him, that's a red flag to me. I do believe the Habs could use another center, so they can slide Dvorak to 3C, Evans to 4C, and Paquette out of the line-up but Dvorak and Evans are adequate in their assigned roles right now, so any move really needs to be an upgrade on in our top 6 for me to make it worth it. If you go out and get an Eichel while retaining Suzuki, that's an upgrade in your top 6. Strome is more of a no-man's-land type of acquisition... not good enough to be an upgrade in the top 6 but not sound enough to be worth keeping in the bottom 6.

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't think he's a fit here. He's an interesting player in that he's a center with size and offensive ability, but he's probably on par with what Dvorak brings offensively, is worse defensively, and is a weak possession player. So I don't think he's an upgrade on Suzuki or Dvorak in the top 6 and he's not a guy playing a shutdown role either. To boot, he's an RFA after this season and will probably be due a bit of a raise, so there's some unknown in terms of what he's asking for. If Chi really feels Tyler Johnson is a better player than him, that's a red flag to me. I do believe the Habs could use another center, so they can slide Dvorak to 3C, Evans to 4C, and Paquette out of the line-up but Dvorak and Evans are adequate in their assigned roles right now, so any move really needs to be an upgrade on in our top 6 for me to make it worth it. If you go out and get an Eichel while retaining Suzuki, that's an upgrade in your top 6. Strome is more of a no-man's-land type of acquisition... not good enough to be an upgrade in the top 6 but not sound enough to be worth keeping in the bottom 6.

Good points but how about we use him in a 2C role instead? I think he'd do fine there with the wingers we have on the team. Suzuki-Strome-Dvorak would be an upgrade on Suzuki-Danault-Kotkaniemi (at least right now) and those guys could stay together for quite a while. Agreed on the contract status though, no idea what his expectations are and what the Blackhawsk are after. Chicago doesn't really have a reason to give him away for cheap.

45 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Strome looks like another “hope” project - a player that never has delivered on his lofty draft status of 3rd overall. Possible we overpay for that potential but he’s a 3C well below Dvorak IMO. I believe the Habs will play a 10-15 game trial- see how Paquette or Poehling perform before shopping for a center unless they feel Byron and his injury recovery can be a patch. I look at what Chicago needs and perhaps Lehkonen / Kulak  are pieces. When Byron comes back - December?, we have excess wingers if everyone stays remarkably healthy 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I do believe the Habs could use another center, so they can slide Dvorak to 3C, Evans to 4C, and Paquette out of the line-up but Dvorak and Evans are adequate in their assigned roles right now, so any move really needs to be an upgrade on in our top 6 for me to make it worth it. 

This. Just like our defense. Unfortunately, MB seems to think just adding random bodies - quantity over quality -works just as well. We dont need "more defensemen" or "more centres."  We need the right ones. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

I believe the Habs will play a 10-15 game trial- see how Paquette or Poehling perform before shopping for a center unless they feel Byron and his injury recovery can be a patch

Also agree.  They may already be in that mode - having assessed during the preseason what they have & what they need. 

I dont think MB will be forced into a move, but i think he's keeping an eye on certain players right now. I wouldnt be surprised if he already had some "take it or leave it" deals in place, just waiting for the opposition to circle back.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Good points but how about we use him in a 2C role instead? I think he'd do fine there with the wingers we have on the team. Suzuki-Strome-Dvorak would be an upgrade on Suzuki-Danault-Kotkaniemi (at least right now) and those guys could stay together for quite a while. Agreed on the contract status though, no idea what his expectations are and what the Blackhawsk are after. Chicago doesn't really have a reason to give him away for cheap.

You could use Strome as a poor man's 2C, sure, but I still believe he's an inferior player to Dvorak in general, so it means that you're cutting Dvorak's minutes and giving them to a player who's not producing more for you offensively but is allowing more chances and goals against at the same time. I do think we'd benefit from upgrading the center position, but to me, it means that whatever minutes we're re-assigning, there has to be an upgrade there. Dylan Strome the past 3 years is running expected goals for of 43%, 47%, and 49%. Comparatively, Dvorak is at 51%, 52%, and 48%, and Evans is at 50% for his two-year career. In short, we're getting a higher percentage of the goals scored at ES with Dvorak and Evans on the ice than we are with Strome there, so I'm not sure it makes sense to take away minutes from the former two to give to Strome, and as noted, I don't think Strome is a great fit for the bottom 6 either. If we wanted to find an upgrade in the top 6, I'd rather we'd have gone after someone like Eichel or Hertl. And if we wanted a cheaper option to fill into the middle 6 and split minutes with Dvorak, then a player like Tyson Jost makes more sense.

17 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

You could use Strome as a poor man's 2C, sure, but I still believe he's an inferior player to Dvorak in general, so it means that you're cutting Dvorak's minutes and giving them to a player who's not producing more for you offensively but is allowing more chances and goals against at the same time. I do think we'd benefit from upgrading the center position, but to me, it means that whatever minutes we're re-assigning, there has to be an upgrade there. Dylan Strome the past 3 years is running expected goals for of 43%, 47%, and 49%. Comparatively, Dvorak is at 51%, 52%, and 48%, and Evans is at 50% for his two-year career. In short, we're getting a higher percentage of the goals scored at ES with Dvorak and Evans on the ice than we are with Strome there, so I'm not sure it makes sense to take away minutes from the former two to give to Strome, and as noted, I don't think Strome is a great fit for the bottom 6 either. If we wanted to find an upgrade in the top 6, I'd rather we'd have gone after someone like Eichel or Hertl. And if we wanted a cheaper option to fill into the middle 6 and split minutes with Dvorak, then a player like Tyson Jost makes more sense.

Yeah, it's not ideal but I also think we could really use another centre after losing both Danault and Kotkaniemi. Adding Dvorak was the best we could have reasonably hoped for and I do like Evans a lot but I'm not sure about his offensive game. On the other hand, who knows, maybe he'll find another gear with a new contract under his belt and increased responsibilities that'll come with it. Concussions may continue to be a problem though and we're basically one injury away from asking him to be a 2C, so once again it looks like we're pretty thin at C in general.

I would love to grab Strome, wonder if Chicago would take a flyer on poehling and a later round pick maybe a third. 

Dont read to much into his corsi LOL... chicago as a team was 45.9 % Strome was above average 46.5%

I wanted to go after Sam Bennet last season, when you could have gotten him cheap, to late now. I feel the same with Strome. He could really slot in the third line nicely and would have some really nice linemates to work with..

Great Size as well. This would be a nice add, if the price was right, I would jump on it, low risk.

3 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I would love to grab Strome, wonder if Chicago would take a flyer on poehling and a later round pick maybe a third. 

Dont read to much into his corsi LOL... chicago as a team was 45.9 % Strome was above average 46.5%

I wanted to go after Sam Bennet last season, when you could have gotten him cheap, to late now. I feel the same with Strome. He could really slot in the third line nicely and would have some really nice linemates to work with..

Great Size as well. This would be a nice add, if the price was right, I would jump on it, low risk.

Id definitely be interested if the price was right.    I think he's been a bit misused in Chicago.  I remember his first year there he looked like he was about to break out in a major way.  

Im not sure where you'd fit him into the lineup though. He's obviously behind Suzuki and probably behind Dvorak too (although they play quite different games).  I think you'd slot him in front of Evans but Jake will be taking a lot of the tougher defensive matchups so i dunno.  

Its a little hard to know where you'd play him, unless you made some sort of sheltered, exploitation 4th line like Byron-Strome-Hoffmann with the latter two getting tons of PP time... 

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id definitely be interested if the price was right.    I think he's been a bit misused in Chicago.  I remember his first year there he looked like he was about to break out in a major way.  

Im not sure where you'd fit him into the lineup though. He's obviously behind Suzuki and probably behind Dvorak too (although they play quite different games).  I think you'd slot him in front of Evans but Jake will be taking a lot of the tougher defensive matchups so i dunno.  

Its a little hard to know where you'd play him, unless you made some sort of sheltered, exploitation 4th line like Byron-Strome-Hoffmann with the latter two getting tons of PP time... 

I would use him on the third line asap. Playing between Gallagher and Armia. or Hoffman, Strome and Gallagher

Armia/Byron, Evans and Lekonen/Armia. We would have lots of options. Injuries happen. 

Its a long season. Having another quality centerman at the NHL level with size is always good. 

1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

We would definitely have to have salary going  back the other way. I would consider it, especially,  if we can sign him to a reasonable contract.