The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours

5 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-october-22-2021/

Bergevin spoke with the media and noted this team will have to work its way out of its current funk. He said he believed in the players and gave them a vote of confidence, but behind the scenes, the realization is that the organization can’t really make a change anyways.

Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek talked about how the club is handcuffed because of the NHL Draft. With it taking place in Montreal this year, Bergevin can’t afford to give up the first-round pick and a shot at Shane Wright. If things continue to go south, the Canadiens likely can’t give up the second-round selection either. The team simply has to ride this out to ensure they don’t make a trade the franchise will be regretting in five years.

Friedman also noted that if Bergevin makes the wrong move here, it could crush any leverage he has during contract negotiations with the Canadiens or another team as he navigates signing as the GM in Montreal or elsewhere. Of all the GMs in the league who can’t afford to panic, it’s Bergevin.

I agree that our 1st rounder is probably untouchable but I dont agree that he cant make any changes.  We have a lot of winger depth, we have some prospects - we have guys we could move.  Will we?  probably not, but not wanting to move a pick doesnt mean MB cant make a change.  

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I agree that our 1st rounder is probably untouchable but I dont agree that he cant make any changes.  We have a lot of winger depth, we have some prospects - we have guys we could move.  Will we?  probably not, but not wanting to move a pick doesnt mean MB cant make a change.  

I'm almost thinking Bergevin shouldn't be making any more moves at all as GM. The rumor mill keeps circulating that this may be his last season, so... should he really be making any changes at this point? If he does something minor, sure, but I don't want him moving any of our top prospects.

22 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I wouldn't move any prospects but yeah we could make a winger for C or D type of trade, we'd have to overpay a little but I'd do it

15 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm almost thinking Bergevin shouldn't be making any more moves at all as GM. The rumor mill keeps circulating that this may be his last season, so... should he really be making any changes at this point? If he does something minor, sure, but I don't want him moving any of our top prospects.

I don't know. I trust him. I'm starting to think MB doesn't want to be GM and wants to be a president of hockey operations here. It's the only thing that makes sense, and Molson doesn't think he needs that.

53 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Our needs are obvious

We either need an elite center to play top line, taking the burden off Suzuki and giving him more sheltered minutes or we need a top LHD PMD to drive the PP and offense.  Getting either of those is going to require a 1st round pick most likely given what we have in the prospect pool.

15 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I wouldn't move any prospects but yeah we could make a winger for C or D type of trade, we'd have to overpay a little but I'd do it

I don't know. I trust him. I'm starting to think MB doesn't want to be GM and wants to be a president of hockey operations here. It's the only thing that makes sense, and Molson doesn't think he needs that.

Or Molson doesn't want to be saddled with MB having more control than he does.

23 minutes ago, habsisme said:

This actually makes some sense, MB has said that he wants to remain in Montreal but has not said as GM. Molson has been meeting with Roy supposedly regarding the GM position. Molson also has not fired MB even though we are currently winless on the season and is good friends with MB. Promoting MB to PHO and hiring Roy actually makes sense. It makes everyone happy. Roy gets to be GM and build a team his way, MB gets to run the day to day aspects of the team, Molson gets to keep MB and give Roy his shot at being GM all the while keeping a mentor on staff for Roy since he will be a rookie GM. Fans get a change in management and perhaps a change in philosophy as well. I would say MB to PHO and Roy as GM should be a serious consideration.

8 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

This actually makes some sense, MB has said that he wants to remain in Montreal but has not said as GM. Molson has been meeting with Roy supposedly regarding the GM position. Molson also has not fired MB even though we are currently winless on the season and is good friends with MB. Promoting MB to PHO and hiring Roy actually makes sense. It makes everyone happy. Roy gets to be GM and build a team his way, MB gets to run the day to day aspects of the team, Molson gets to keep MB and give Roy his shot at being GM all the while keeping a mentor on staff for Roy since he will be a rookie GM. Fans get a change in management and perhaps a change in philosophy as well. I would say MB to PHO and Roy as GM should be a serious consideration.

I'm fully down with that but would Roy be ok having MB hanging over him? I don't recall exactly why Roy left Colorado, did they have a PHO?

2 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

I'm fully down with that but would Roy be ok having MB hanging over him? I don't recall exactly why Roy left Colorado, did they have a PHO?

well he wasn't GM in Colorado, he was coach. I don't think it was ever talked about, why he left, but I think he and Sakic just didn't agree on how to move forward. Whatever Sakic did, he built a pernenial championship contender

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

The problem is that i dont trust our development team at assessing prospects. If i did and they thought, for example, Poehling would never be more than a #4 and another team wanted him as part of a package for a top 2 dman, Id move him. But i feel like we may say "he'll never amount to much" and then he'll become a 60 point centre. 

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

Our needs are obvious

We either need an elite center to play top line, taking the burden off Suzuki and giving him more sheltered minutes or we need a top LHD PMD to drive the PP and offense.  Getting either of those is going to require a 1st round pick most likely given what we have in the prospect pool.

To be a legit contender, yes.  I think that adding another player like Dvorak and a dman who falls somewhere around petry-edmundson would help. I dont know you'd have to include a 1st for either of those (depends heavily on the age of teh player & their contract status) but i agree that not moving a 1st would make it difficult. that said, MB has made a lot of trades & i believe Dvorak is the first 1st he's traded in 8 years so i dont think he would have been likely to move one anyway... 

35 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

It would be interesting to watch the fireworks!

I don't think we can afford including our first rounder in a trade unless we're using it to acquire a truly elite player, there's a legit chance it's going to be very high pick so the player coming back would have to be really worth it.

16 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

No Roy left over a difference of opinion with Sakic on the direction of the team. See link below for story on why Roy left Colorado.

https://milehighsticking.com/2017/08/08/colorado-avalanche-final-word-on-why-patrick-roy-left/amp/4/

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

well he wasn't GM in Colorado, he was coach. I don't think it was ever talked about, why he left, but I think he and Sakic just didn't agree on how to move forward. Whatever Sakic did, he built a pernenial championship contender

It wasn't a disagreement on direction so much as Sakic forced Roy out. See link posted above.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

I don't think we can afford including our first rounder in a trade unless we're using it to acquire a truly elite player, there's a legit chance it's going to be very high pick so the player coming back would have to be really worth it.

I’m not so sure our first is even tradeable. As it’s already potentially traded in the Dvo deal

11 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

I’m not so sure our first is even tradeable. As it’s already potentially traded in the Dvo deal

you can still trade it. you have to trade the 'other' pick, so the the lesser of the two picks unless its in the top 10, its the better of the two picks

19 hours ago, booboo_mtl said:

19 hours ago, habsisme said:

you can still trade it. you have to trade the 'other' pick, so the the lesser of the two picks unless its in the top 10, its the better of the two picks

I thought that they could just trade "the other pick" too but from what I read after the Dvorak trade, the Habs aren't allowed to include either of the picks until after it's determined which pick will go to Arizona. If a pick is included in a trade as a conditional choice, it's untouchable according to NHL rules, at least according to what was reported. I don't know why you can't trade the "other" one but in any case, if it's true, it works out in our favor that Bergevin isn't allowed to touch it.

Man are Leafs fans mad at Marner! They are calling for his contract to be terminated, him traded or him put on waivers lol. So I will pose a question, what would you give up in a Marner trade? The Leafs need bottom 6, defensive and top 6 wing help. I thought something like

Toffoli + Lehkonen + Chiarot/Savard + Tuch + 2nd for Marner + 4th. I think the value is a bit low but it helps solidify their lineup and gives Montreal another setup guy for the top 6. Outside of Drouin all our forwards are shooters first.

25 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Man are Leafs fans mad at Marner! They are calling for his contract to be terminated, him traded or him put on waivers lol. So I will pose a question, what would you give up in a Marner trade? The Leafs need bottom 6, defensive and top 6 wing help. I thought something like

Toffoli + Lehkonen + Chiarot/Savard + Tuch + 2nd for Marner + 4th. I think the value is a bit low but it helps solidify their lineup and gives Montreal another setup guy for the top 6. Outside of Drouin all our forwards are shooters first.

I simply wouldn’t want Marner in our lineup. I don’t deny his skating edgework, vision and abilities are top end with an average shot. I question his heart, and entitlement. I saw enough of him in London with the knights to see that in the tight space hitting games he’s average at best. Overpriced hard pass for me. 

12 minutes ago, claremont said:

I simply wouldn’t want Marner in our lineup. I don’t deny his skating edgework, vision and abilities are top end with an average shot. I question his heart, and entitlement. I saw enough of him in London with the knights to see that in the tight space hitting games he’s average at best. Overpriced hard pass for me. 

Yes I agree he is soft and seems entitled, those things can be coached though look at Drouin, the same things were said about him a few years back and now he actually plays a pretty physical game. Besides that if you are getting Marner it's for his elite playmaking not his shot or physical play. We have one player on our current roster capable of setting up plays similar to Marner and that is the aforementioned Drouin. IMO we could use one more.

24 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I wouldn't want Marner, he's an incredible player but I just don't think you can pay a winger who doesn't score goals 10 million dollars. I don't think Marner is getting moved in-season anyway, but maybe this summer if Leafs don't do something significant this year. BUT I wanna play the game anyway lol

I'm really trying to think from the Leafs perspective and what could really fill out their line-up because they're not giving him up for nothing. I would make a trade like this: Evans, Lehkonen (salary retained), Edmunson, Chiarot (salary retained), and Toffoli (or another of out better wingers). I think that's a trade the Leafs would love to make even though we get the best player in the deal. Its the type of move I think the leaves should make anyway

Just now, habsisme said:

I would make a trade like this: Evans, Lehkonen (salary retained), Edmunson, Chiarot (salary retained), and Toffoli (or another of out better wingers). I think that's a trade the Leafs would love to make even though we get the best player in the deal. Its the type of move I think the leaves should make anyway

too much . Montreal's D is already struggling and you're giving away 2 D men