The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Phil Danault has apparently put his house up for sale tonight. Bargaining chip or has he made up his mind he's going?

Yeah, I don't expect Danault to be back. Fair enough, he's ready to get paid and move on. I can't imagine a house listing used as a bargaining chip. Really appreciate the work he put in here.

6 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Kracken selection?

Doubtful. He's an unrestricted free agent so the Kraken could just sign him when free agency opens. They don't need to select him during the expansion draft. And it sounds like Danault is ready to test the market, so I'm sure he's gonna be looking for a nice contract and ice time. Two things that Seattle can offer.

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Doubtful. He's an unrestricted free agent so the Kraken could just sign him when free agency opens. They don't need to select him during the expansion draft. And it sounds like Danault is ready to test the market, so I'm sure he's gonna be looking for a nice contract and ice time. Two things that Seattle can offer.

Depends though. They do get a very nice situation of being able to talk to these guys, exclusively, for 3 days with no possibility of a team matching their offer. 

Certainly they wouldnt select him without having a contract, but i wouldnt rule out interest.

I mean look at what we've exposed:  Price, Weber and Drouin - all potentially long term injuries and risks.  Kulak, Fleury, Byron, etc -  all so-so players and/or high contracts.

And then there's danault (and to a lesser extent, tatar).   Danault would be in their top 6 for absolute certain. He might well be their #1 centre.  He's going to be a guy they can use in all situations etc.    I could definitely see there being interest from Seattle.   I understand that PD may just say "well i'll wait until UFA for all teams" but if the Kraken offer him what he's looking for?  Maybe he takes it.  For sure there would be no debate or dispute on his ice time there!

11 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Depends though. They do get a very nice situation of being able to talk to these guys, exclusively, for 3 days with no possibility of a team matching their offer. 

Certainly they wouldnt select him without having a contract, but i wouldnt rule out interest.

I mean look at what we've exposed:  Price, Weber and Drouin - all potentially long term injuries and risks.  Kulak, Fleury, Byron, etc -  all so-so players and/or high contracts.

And then there's danault (and to a lesser extent, tatar).   Danault would be in their top 6 for absolute certain. He might well be their #1 centre.  He's going to be a guy they can use in all situations etc.    I could definitely see there being interest from Seattle.   I understand that PD may just say "well i'll wait until UFA for all teams" but if the Kraken offer him what he's looking for?  Maybe he takes it.  For sure there would be no debate or dispute on his ice time there!

There's also a rumor that Danault and Tatar (who knows he won't be getting an offer to come back) have discussed signing together somewhere. So entirely possible that Seattle drafts Danault to sign him and then reaches a deal with Tatar once free agency starts and reunites the two. They could be like the Marchessault-Smith combination for Vegas.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

There's also a rumor that Danault and Tatar (who knows he won't be getting an offer to come back) have discussed signing together somewhere. So entirely possible that Seattle drafts Danault to sign him and then reaches a deal with Tatar once free agency starts and reunites the two. They could be like the Marchessault-Smith combination for Vegas.

That would be really interesting because unless they find another Gallagher type player I dont think they will be nearly as effective. 

If we lose one of our impending UFA as our selection in the ED you've got to count that as a big win. 

24 minutes ago, maas_art said:

That would be really interesting because unless they find another Gallagher type player I dont think they will be nearly as effective. 

If we lose one of our impending UFA as our selection in the ED you've got to count that as a big win. 

Absolutely, to some degree. As I posted in my mock, I could see Seattle going after a Johansen and Zucker for their first line. But they could easily go with a Danault-Tatar for their second line and there are players like Nick Ritchie, JT Compher, Ryan Donato, Nino Niederreiter, Brendan Lemieux or others who could mesh well. They could also draft or sign a UFA or swing a deal with another team to get a player that fits. I think it's an option for them.

In reality, I would prefer to lose Danault than to lose a Drouin for nothing or a cheaper player like Kulak or Fleury. But I would prefer, if I had the choice, to have them take Byron or Price. Those are two contracts that don't match up well to the output you get from the player, so the cap space freed up IMO would be better than losing nothing.

3 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Shawn Simpson (TSN ) hearing Danault to Detroit which ties into a Little Caesar’s endorsement  🍕 🤦‍♂️😂

I was under the impression only the Kraken have negotiating rights with UFA's until tomorrow?

47 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Shawn Simpson (TSN ) hearing Danault to Detroit which ties into a Little Caesar’s endorsement  🍕 🤦‍♂️😂

42 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I was under the impression only the Kraken have negotiating rights with UFA's until tomorrow?

Yeah I would say its just speculation. 

Its possible MB gave Danault's agent permission to talk to other teams but if he didnt, then this would be against the rules so I would be surprised if they were talking & letting it leak. It happens, teams do talk loosely with players but they are generally very private about it so they dont get fined.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Habs showing interest in islanders RFA Anthony beauvullier

That's an interesting one - may not cost much in terms of draft choice compensation on an offer sheet if a trade is not worked out - up to $4.1m then a 2nd rounder. If he's above that and based on the Hyman projected $5M plus salary (AB is better than Hyman), I don't think AB's worth a first, and a 3rd)  nor should he be paid more than Toffoli. Islanders are somewhat CAP constrained so could be tough to match, but AB has reasonable production at 15-20 goals per, plus he's from Sorel 

Patrik Laine on the offer sheet anyone?

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Habs showing interest in islanders RFA Anthony beauvullier

Again, I wouldnt put much stock into rumous about UFA or RFA right now simply because teams are not technically supposed to be talking to players. We know they do but they usually take a LOT of precautions that its not public (and therefore tampering) so this is probably wishful thinking or, a hockey site trying to line up players that meet our needs.

That said, if we do indeed lose Danault - and probably Drouin too -  I think there's a very good chance we try to sign a few players from Quebec. 

8 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Not moi 

Same.  I also dont think he's a "marc bergevin' type player.

I do think he could excel next to JK but there's some serious doubts in my mind it would work out.   offer sheets just do not work (unless you do something silly like offer 40% more than what someone is worth) but if we were going to go that route, i'd save it for a defensman, honestly. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

That's an interesting one - may not cost much in terms of draft choice compensation on an offer sheet if a trade is not worked out - up to $4.1m then a 2nd rounder. If he's above that and based on the Hyman projected $5M plus salary (AB is better than Hyman), I don't think AB's worth a first, and a 3rd)  nor should he be paid more than Toffoli. Islanders are somewhat CAP constrained so could be tough to match, but AB has reasonable production at 15-20 goals per, plus he's from Sorel 

Patrik Laine on the offer sheet anyone?

Really? You wouldn’t cough up a 1st and a 3rd for Beauvillier? I mean, if we had drafted him ourselves in the first place (which we should have) it would have only cost us a 1st, but adding a 3rd to get him now doesn’t seem like a deal breaker to me

11 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Really? You wouldn’t cough up a 1st and a 3rd for Beauvillier? I mean, if we had drafted him ourselves in the first place (which we should have) it would have only cost us a 1st, but adding a 3rd to get him now doesn’t seem like a deal breaker to me

Too bad it cant be this year's 1st!   (although maybe next year's weill be even later in the 1st  :ph34r:)

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah I would say its just speculation. 

Its possible MB gave Danault's agent permission to talk to other teams but if he didnt, then this would be against the rules so I would be surprised if they were talking & letting it leak. It happens, teams do talk loosely with players but they are generally very private about it so they dont get fined.

Especially now with the legal tampering period, there's even less reason to risk it.

For all of the NHL's joke fines, tampering is one thing they do (mostly) take seriously.

It's one thing to "leak" that you're interested or something ("don't re-sign in Montreal, you have a juicy offer coming in free agency") , but I can't imagine they'd have the gall to hold outright contract talks.

Sportsnet's Eric Engels is reporting that it's"highly unlikely" that Danault, an unrestricted free agent, will strike a deal to return to the Canadiens next season and beyond. Engels also dispelled rumours that Danault is working towards a deal with the Kraken, who have exclusive rights to negotiate at current moment. 

6 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Sportsnet's Eric Engels is reporting that it's"highly unlikely" that Danault, an unrestricted free agent, will strike a deal to return to the Canadiens next season and beyond. Engels also dispelled rumours that Danault is working towards a deal with the Kraken, who have exclusive rights to negotiate at current moment. 

If Seattle takes Yanni Gourde from TB, I wonder if the Lightning and Danault might see a fit in each other... could also see him having interest in NYR, Fla, Det, Ana, LA, Dal, Nas.

Regarding the Ristolainen rumors... I do not want Montreal to acquire this player. I know it's a low risk situation since he has only one-year remaining on his current deal, but I'd rather give the ice time to one of our prospects than Ristolainen. He may score some points, but his possession numbers have been bad his entire career and I don't see why that would change coming to Montreal. If we can't find a GOOD option for our D, then just let our prospects have ice time.