The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours

H_T_L

Some interesting names being thrown out on D as being available:

- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post reporting that the Avs want to move Sam Girard for a forward and that they aren't happy with what he gave last post-season, as well as concerned about his contract. He has a 5M cap hit for this year and 4 more. Second-pairing left-handed shot who can play either side. Good puck mover, but small player. Has been strong the last two years for Colorado but fallen off a bit this year and pushed down the depth chart by Byram. Not sure I like the price on his contract but he's only 23 and he'd be an upgrade on what we have on the left side. If they were interested in Hoffman or Toffoli, I would do that. I wouldn't give them Drouin straight up for Girard though.

- Sports Illustrated reporting the Leafs want to clear cap space and are looking to move at least one of Justin Holl or Travis Dermott. Holl is 29 and not of interest to me, but Dermott is 24 and has a cap hit of 1.5M for this year and only one more. He's a LHD with excellent possession stats and with the opportunity to grow a bit more as a player. Since Toronto trying to dump salary, the reported asking price is a mid-round pick. We could do worse...

10 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post reporting that the Avs want to move Sam Girard for a forward and that they aren't happy with what he gave last post-season, as well as concerned about his contract. He has a 5M cap hit for this year and 4 more. Second-pairing left-handed shot who can play either side. Good puck mover, but small player. Has been strong the last two years for Colorado but fallen off a bit this year and pushed down the depth chart by Byram. Not sure I like the price on his contract but he's only 23 and he'd be an upgrade on what we have on the left side. If they were interested in Hoffman or Toffoli, I would do that. I wouldn't give them Drouin straight up for Girard though.

- Sports Illustrated reporting the Leafs want to clear cap space and are looking to move at least one of Justin Holl or Travis Dermott. Holl is 29 and not of interest to me, but Dermott is 24 and has a cap hit of 1.5M for this year and only one more. He's a LHD with excellent possession stats and with the opportunity to grow a bit more as a player. Since Toronto trying to dump salary, the reported asking price is a mid-round pick. We could do worse...

I'd take Dermott for a 3rd, possible a low end 2nd if we have one

On 11/10/2021 at 5:52 PM, BigTed3 said:

- Sports Illustrated reporting the Leafs want to clear cap space and are looking to move at least one of Justin Holl or ottTravis Derm. Holl is 29 and not of interest to me, but Dermott is 24 and has a cap hit of 1.5M for this year and only one more. He's a LHD with excellent possession stats and with the opportunity to grow a bit more as a player. Since Toronto trying to dump salary, the reported asking price is a mid-round pick. We could do worse...

I would certainly be making a bid for  both players, Girard would be a really good left shot quaterback for our power play. Only 23, 5 million is not that bad. Chariot is off the books after this season, better yet move Chariot and Droiun for Girard and Newhook ...

I would also make a pitch for Dermott as well. Late second round would be worth the risk. You could have a left dee in a couple of weeks. Girard Romanov and Dermott. 

You would be moving from a clunky shot blocking dee to an up tempo lets get on the offence.

If it was Toffu for Girard staright up which I am hearing, I would do that as well. I would love to see Girard feeding Hoffman And Caufield (when he finds his game) on the PP. Hoffman off the righ hand wall, Caufield of the Left hand wall, Gallagher and Suzki down low...

25 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I would certainly be making a bid for  both players, Girard would be a really good left shot quaterback for our power play. Only 23, 5 million is not that bad. Chariot is off the books after this season, better yet move Chariot and Droiun for Girard and Newhook ...

I would also make a pitch for Dermott as well. Late second round would be worth the risk. You could have a left dee in a couple of weeks. Girard Romanov and Dermott. 

You would be moving from a clunky shot blocking dee to an up tempo lets get on the offence.

If it was Toffu for Girard staright up which I am hearing, I would do that as well. I would love to see Girard feeding Hoffman And Caufield (when he finds his game) on the PP. Hoffman off the righ hand wall, Caufield of the Left hand wall, Gallagher and Suzki down low...

I doubt we see Dermott even though the trade value is there, it’s a trade within the division which is rarely seen. 
Girard I would like but I think MB made his bed / demise with Savard and we should be shopping d-men and not short term acquiring them. 
Our long term position at D has strong potential (but many will say prospects are just prospects until “ a proof is a proof” per some Shawinigan guy) - Guhle, Harris assume signed, Norlinder, Struble will create some healthy competition- Girard or Dermott may create a bottleneck and force some trade chips of selling low on prospects HOWEVER 

Petry, Savard, Romanov are staples of our D for the next 3 years - they are not enough - Girard or Dermott can play both sides, and allow those prospects to develop in the 5,6 slots so the trades have merit 

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I’m a big fan of Drouin, but I think if that deal is available, I’d make it. Two months ago JD was a negative asset, if you can turn him into a top 4 LD, and save 500k in the process, I think you have to make that deal

Agreed. (not the fan part) This time, we'd be dealing from a position of strength & filling a spot that NEEDS filling.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-november-19-2021/

Gallagher a Possible Trade Piece?

It’s tricky to know who might be safe and who might be a possible trade piece out of Montreal if things continue to slide but TVA Sports’ Anthony Martineau and Nicolas Cloutier weighed in on which Montreal Canadiens players could be traded if the team was to being selling off before the deadline.

Martineau suggested the Canadiens shop Brendan Gallagher but knows the 29-year-old winger’s $6.25 million cap hit through 2026-27 could be difficult to move. Saying that Gallagher hasn’t played well and often been selfish during this bad run by the Habs, there have been instances this season where he’s made things worse in Montreal and not better.

While Gallagher may be struggling in Montreal, Martineau feels the player’s overall reputation for hard work would make him enticing for some clubs. If the Canadiens were willing to retain some salary, they could find a taker before the deadline.

There was also mention by Elliotte Friedman that Ben Chiarot could be on the move and notes, “The team that really sticks out to me that should probably be feeling very good about itself thinking about what it could do is a team like Edmonton”.

I was all for trading Gally a couple years ago. His style of play is not the style that leads to long prosperous NHL careers. We're really seeing the long term effect of being beaten down on a regular basis. Love the guy, but that extension was just another example of what's wrong with this GM. At least he didn't bite on the Dano extension.

On 11/19/2021 at 9:42 AM, Regis22 said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-november-19-2021/

Gallagher a Possible Trade Piece?

It’s tricky to know who might be safe and who might be a possible trade piece out of Montreal if things continue to slide but TVA Sports’ Anthony Martineau and Nicolas Cloutier weighed in on which Montreal Canadiens players could be traded if the team was to being selling off before the deadline.

Martineau suggested the Canadiens shop Brendan Gallagher but knows the 29-year-old winger’s $6.25 million cap hit through 2026-27 could be difficult to move. Saying that Gallagher hasn’t played well and often been selfish during this bad run by the Habs, there have been instances this season where he’s made things worse in Montreal and not better.

While Gallagher may be struggling in Montreal, Martineau feels the player’s overall reputation for hard work would make him enticing for some clubs. If the Canadiens were willing to retain some salary, they could find a taker before the deadline.

There was also mention by Elliotte Friedman that Ben Chiarot could be on the move and notes, “The team that really sticks out to me that should probably be feeling very good about itself thinking about what it could do is a team like Edmonton”.

On 11/19/2021 at 9:49 AM, H_T_L said:

I was all for trading Gally a couple years ago. His style of play is not the style that leads to long prosperous NHL careers. We're really seeing the long term effect of being beaten down on a regular basis. Love the guy, but that extension was just another example of what's wrong with this GM. At least he didn't bite on the Dano extension.

Agree.  A good GM does what MB says he's going to do & that is: make the tough decisions.  Resigning Gallagher at that time was not something I would have done. I like him, i think that he will give his all, every shift, but I dont think he's going to play full seasons very often. So while he may continue to be a pro-rated 30 goal scorer, i think its highly unlikely he'll actually break that barrier again.    If we had waited till his contract was running out & traded him at the deadline before that summer you could have gotten a return like we did on pacioretty.   MaxPac has been fine but obviously Suzuki + fits in with our needs much more.

Same with Petry. I like him and it will undoubtedly hurt us to lose him but from the standpoint of building a winner, we need to look long term. Top prospect, mid tier roster player + top pick... thats likely what you'll get for those kinds of guys.  Maybe you have to take on a bad contract to get it done but so be it. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Same with Petry. I like him and it will undoubtedly hurt us to lose him but from the standpoint of building a winner, we need to look long term. Top prospect, mid tier roster player + top pick... thats likely what you'll get for those kinds of guys.  Maybe you have to take on a bad contract to get it done but so be it. 

I’m not sure what the market value is for Petry, but we definitely should look at trading him. Same goes for Price and Edmundson. I’m usually quite the optimist, lol but man, this season… I can’t imagine either of them two are looking forward to rejoining the team at this point. Might as well do these guys a favour, get them out of here, bring back as many picks (1st’s preferably) and quality prospects as possible. There’s room for quality hockey trades as well. As mentioned above, if we could snag a guy like Girard for a Hoffman, Toffoli or Drouin, that’d be worth a look as well

5 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

if we could snag a guy like Girard for a Hoffman, Toffoli or Drouin, that’d be worth a look as well

While i agree there's a huge positional upgrade there, Toffoli and Drouin are guys id like to keep.  Drouin is only 26, well within the age to be competitive with a rebuild.  Toffoli is 29 yes - just like gallagher - but he's been a pretty durable player. I think he's going to be good for a while yet.  But again, imho we have 2 'untouchable' players in Suzuki and Caufield. Beyond that, id be listening to pretty much all offers but it would probably have to be overpayment for me to give up anyone under 25 or 26. 

17 hours ago, maas_art said:

While i agree there's a huge positional upgrade there, Toffoli and Drouin are guys id like to keep.  Drouin is only 26, well within the age to be competitive with a rebuild.  Toffoli is 29 yes - just like gallagher - but he's been a pretty durable player. I think he's going to be good for a while yet.  But again, imho we have 2 'untouchable' players in Suzuki and Caufield. Beyond that, id be listening to pretty much all offers but it would probably have to be overpayment for me to give up anyone under 25 or 26. 

I don’t necessarily want to get rid of any of them, including Hoffman. Just that I would trade each one of them for Girard. I’m a huge Drouin fan, probably the most all around skilled of the three, but are we better off trading him now while his value is reasonably high, or risk holding on to him until he does something that sinks his value back below zero (like another mental wellness staycation)? Toffoli, also a big fan, but I doubt he ever has another season like last season. Hoffman has the best shot on the team, and it’s not even close, but what good is that to us this season?

Then again, maybe we’re best to steer clear of Girard, wait and see what we have in Norlinder, Strubble and Romi…

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I don’t necessarily want to get rid of any of them, including Hoffman. Just that I would trade each one of them for Girard. I’m a huge Drouin fan, probably the most all around skilled of the three, but are we better off trading him now while his value is reasonably high, or risk holding on to him until he does something that sinks his value back below zero (like another mental wellness staycation)? Toffoli, also a big fan, but I doubt he ever has another season like last season. Hoffman has the best shot on the team, and it’s not even close, but what good is that to us this season?

Then again, maybe we’re best to steer clear of Girard, wait and see what we have in Norlinder, Strubble and Romi…

I lean toward the wait and see camp especially if we are able to sign Jordan Harris who also compliments Norlinder / Struble / Romi, in the depth competition. Struble has not been lighting it up at Northeastern but I still believe he has upside ceiling to the pro game. I get that Girard is only 23 and provides immediate help, but $5m for 4 more years after this, is hefty and we still have Edmundson for 2 more years after this. 

My biggest wish is to trade Chiarot for a first rounder or even some form of a centre prospect to teams that need a tough LD man. Edmonton only has Lavoie as a potential centre prospect and he's not good enough of a return. Rangers don't have a centre prospect of interest to me.  Minny Wild - doubt they part with Rossi. Devils - I doubt they make a run and I doubt they part with Dawson Mercer.  St. Louis Blues - not sure Zachary Bolduc has enough potential. I expect we get a first round pick.   

2 minutes ago, claremont said:

I lean toward the wait and see camp especially if we are able to sign Jordan Harris who also compliments Norlinder / Struble / Romi, in the depth competition. Struble has not been lighting it up at Northeastern but I still believe he has upside ceiling to the pro game. I get that Girard is only 23 and provides immediate help, but $5m for 4 more years after this, is hefty and we still have Edmundson for 2 more years after this. 

My biggest wish is to trade Chiarot for a first rounder or even some form of a centre prospect to teams that need a tough LD man. Edmonton only has Lavoie as a potential centre prospect and he's not good enough of a return. Rangers don't have a centre prospect of interest to me.  Minny Wild - doubt they part with Rossi. Devils - I doubt they make a run and I doubt they part with Dawson Mercer.  St. Louis Blues - not sure Zachary Bolduc has enough potential. I expect we get a first round pick.   

At this point i'd almost consider trying to dump Savard and keep Chiarot.. Keeping both is not an option going forward IMO. Dumping both wouldn't bother me either.

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

At this point i'd almost consider trying to dump Savard and keep Chiarot.. Keeping both is not an option going forward IMO. Dumping both wouldn't bother me either.

For Certain - The Savard signing is a big regression - may be tough to unload him. At least Chiarot seems to compete every night, and is more tradeable. 

56 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

52 minutes ago, claremont said:

For Certain - The Savard signing is a big regression - may be tough to unload him. At least Chiarot seems to compete every night, and is more tradeable. 

Everyone seems to believe we can get a 1st for Chiarot, and history suggests that's likely. If so, you take it. Our window to win will be better-served by the 1st-rounder than by Chiarot.

Savard isn't worth anything right now. I'd dump him too if we had the chance. And don't forget, we haven't yet added Edmundson's limited puck skill set to the mix. Put Edmundson in with those other two and remove a better skater/puck-mover like Kulak, Romanov, or Wideman, and this could still get worse. We're likely going to see Chiarot and Savard reunited in that case, and that was a disaster.

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Everyone seems to believe we can get a 1st for Chiarot, and history suggests that's likely. If so, you take it. Our window to win will be better-served by the 1st-rounder than by Chiarot.

Savard isn't worth anything right now. I'd dump him too if we had the chance. And don't forget, we haven't yet added Edmundson's limited puck skill set to the mix. Put Edmundson in with those other two and remove a better skater/puck-mover like Kulak, Romanov, or Wideman, and this could still get worse. We're likely going to see Chiarot and Savard reunited in that case, and that was a disaster.

to me this is the most damning thing about this organization right now, that Chiarot is still on the team. Chiarot, Wideman, Kulak should be moved. You have to shop Price and you have to move a winger for picks/prospects. There's no excuse for not doing these things. They clearly need to be done

35 minutes ago, habsisme said:

to me this is the most damning thing about this organization right now, that Chiarot is still on the team. Chiarot, Wideman, Kulak should be moved. You have to shop Price and you have to move a winger for picks/prospects. There's no excuse for not doing these things. They clearly need to be done

Wideman was a free agent pickup and 1 year contract - his trade value is virtually nothing. The other 2 will have some interest but it’s too early for desperation moves - I suspect trades happen on or about the Olympic break 

52 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Just out of curiosity , you suggest moving Chiarot , wideman

And kulak . Who is going to play D ? It’s not like there are any promising D men in Laval or anywhere else for that matter