The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours

22 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Question for everyone. Would you consider taking on Skinners contract of a deal was structured like this?

Skinner (no retention) + Peterka + 2022 1st (Florida) for Chiarot + Byron. Perhaps we could get an additional peice or two from Buffalo but I don't think I would turn down that, would you?

We need scoring help on the LW Skinner provides that. We would also have to make other moves. Something like Drouin for Timmins 1 for 1. Dunn for Harris+ Hillis + 3rd and then some signings, Dunn at 4 Mil x 5 years, Wennberg 3.5 Mil x 7 years, Wideman 850k x 2 years, Brickley 850k x 1 year. Resign Perry 850k x 2 years, Lehkonen 2.5 Mil x 5 years, Poehling 1 Mil x 2 years.

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield

Skinner-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Peterka-Wennberg-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Evans-Perry

Poehling

Edmundson-Petry 

Dunn-Timmins

Romanov-Wideman

Kulak

Brickley

Price 

Allen

That all still leave Montreal with 3.4 Mil in cap space to make changes at the deadline or to save for 2022 offseason to resign Suzuki, Romanov and Evans.

In a heart beat, I think Skinner is the type of sniper we need on this team, although he is a defensive liability. 

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I have a bad feeling these are going to be over payments

But boy oh boy, they sure were born in Quebec! :ph34r: Paquette hasn't even been good in the faceoff dot for the past few seasons. :( Oh God, Savard was a combined -27 on Columbus and TB last season... Ugh.

18 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Canadiens expected to sign David savard and Cedric paquette per Elliott’s Friedman & Chris Johnson 

And Chris wiseman : Canadiens expected to pursue all three 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Question for everyone. Would you consider taking on Skinners contract of a deal was structured like this?

Skinner (no retention) + Peterka + 2022 1st (Florida) for Chiarot + Byron. Perhaps we could get an additional peice or two from Buffalo but I don't think I would turn down that, would you?

We need scoring help on the LW Skinner provides that. We would also have to make other moves. Something like Drouin for Timmins 1 for 1. Dunn for Harris+ Hillis + 3rd and then some signings, Dunn at 4 Mil x 5 years, Wennberg 3.5 Mil x 7 years, Wideman 850k x 2 years, Brickley 850k x 1 year. Resign Perry 850k x 2 years, Lehkonen 2.5 Mil x 5 years, Poehling 1 Mil x 2 years.

I don't like trading within the division - why empower Buffalo to get out of their mess and he's another over priced reclamation project that we "hope" will return to form at $9M - It is funny how we as fans now appreciate the cap system - we used to like players for their ability now we measure ability relative to the cap. 

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Maybe I am overreacting, but if our free agency period is going to be adding Paquette, Savard, and Wideman... I would call that a monumental failure. Like, just horrible. Two bottom pairing D and a depth forward who might not even start most games.

No I think you are on the money with that view!

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/07/26/chris-wideman-montreal-canadiens/

The Montreal Canadiens reportedly signed Chris Wideman, an unrestricted free agent defenceman, to a one-year, one-way contract. This contract carries him through the 2021-22 season.

Can confirm Chris Wideman having a deal in place with Montreal. 1 yr, one-way. Turned down $2 mill to return to #KHL. Wants back in the #NHL.

— Andy Strickland (@andystrickland) July 26, 2021

Spent last yr in the KHL, the year before in the AHL, and 2018/2019 with 3 NHL teams and 2 AHL Teams 

29 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Maybe I am overreacting, but if our free agency period is going to be adding Paquette, Savard, and Wideman... I would call that a monumental failure. Like, just horrible. Two bottom pairing D and a depth forward who might not even start most games.

I mean, it depends.  We're losing some similar players in guys like Merrill, Gus, Staal and Frolik.   

The real key is going to be top of the lineup moves.  Will there be any?  Which ones and how good?    Im not particularly concerned - yet - but certainly as names go off the board (we've already lost the chance at Jones for example - although I think Chicago is going to regret that one) i will become more concerned but maybe in a couple of days everything will become clearer and (hopefully) we will get better, not stay the same or worse.   

50 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Multiples sources telling me that Tony DeAngelo won’t sign a deal with the

tomorrow. So he won’t play in MTL next season.

Per Renaud Lavoie

So the big question (since  Lavoie's post is unclear) is:  Did we offer him one & he wont sign? Or is he not signing because we didnt offer him one?? :wacko: :P

44 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

image.png.be5a6c94e66bc96576d2669d2a823b23.png

They are really going all-in before Kane and Toews hang em up I guess?