The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours

8 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Sharks Martin Jones placed on unconditional waivers for the purposes of buyout 

7 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Braden holtby to be bought out 

Man the goalie market this year is off the charts, some good goalies will be left on outside looking in.

2 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Maple leafs continue to show interest in darcy kuemper 

Not sure the Loafs have anything of value left to trade for Kuemper.  Their farm system sucks and they don;t have many draft picks to move next year.  But then again Arizona isn't know for the smart moves

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

image.png.be5a6c94e66bc96576d2669d2a823b23.png

Sounds like Vegas didn’t even tell him . He found out via Twitter 🤣🤦‍♂️ Per his agent still hasn’t heard from Vegas and will take the time to seriously discuss his future with his family 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I mean, it depends.  We're losing some similar players in guys like Merrill, Gus, Staal and Frolik.   

The real key is going to be top of the lineup moves.  Will there be any?  Which ones and how good?    Im not particularly concerned - yet - but certainly as names go off the board (we've already lost the chance at Jones for example - although I think Chicago is going to regret that one) i will become more concerned but maybe in a couple of days everything will become clearer and (hopefully) we will get better, not stay the same or worse.   

Well, yeah! :D My concern is that if those are the moves we are making, we haven't improved our team. We're just trying to claw our way back to being a mediocre regular season team with those additions. We're not improving at all.

The losses of Danault and Weber aren't monumental disasters, but they will be felt. And I don't believe the continued improvement of young players will necessarily counter those losses. We have a tendency to always believe our prospects are going to be incrementally better each season. Being fans of an organizations that seems to struggle to develop top-end talent, we should know better than to make that assumption. With that said, if we're not adding a top-two or top-four D and we're not adding an offensive threat to the forward group, I don't really see us being any better than a fringe playoff team again.

10 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Well, yeah! :D My concern is that if those are the moves we are making, we haven't improved our team. We're just trying to claw our way back to being a mediocre regular season team with those additions. We're not improving at all.

The losses of Danault and Weber aren't monumental disasters, but they will be felt. And I don't believe the continued improvement of young players will necessarily counter those losses. We have a tendency to always believe our prospects are going to be incrementally better each season. Being fans of an organizations that seems to struggle to develop top-end talent, we should know better than to make that assumption. With that said, if we're not adding a top-two or top-four D and we're not adding an offensive threat to the forward group, I don't really see us being any better than a fringe playoff team again.

Have to add Tuna to that list because he was a productive member of Dano's line in the past. Armia's not a given to return either.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Sounds like Vegas didn’t even tell him . He found out via Twitter 🤣🤦‍♂️ Per his agent still hasn’t heard from Vegas and will take the time to seriously discuss his future with his family 

Wow Fluery is talking retirement over going to Chicago, let the shit show begin :banana_dancing:

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Frank Seravalli

Hearing #Canes are closing in on an agreement with UFA D Tony DeAngelo. Not done yet. But expecting a 1-year deal. There was lots of interest and the opportunity to play for Rod Brind'Amour was appealing.

There were a lot of rumors that Danault and Tatar wanted to play together. Danault's been linked to Det, Van, and LA but out of all the places Tatar could go, I could se ehim being interested in going back to Det where he had success before and I could see him convincing Danault to come with him. They'd likely get big minutes there, which is what they seem to be after.

Very happy to hear DeAngelo rumored to be going to Carolina. Don't want him here.

Savard I can live with if he's getting a 3rd-pairing contract (2.5M or under for 1-2 years). We don't need to stockpile more depth defencemen when the real need is top 3.

Paquette I'm not seeing a huge need for. Hopefully it's a two-way contract and he's destined for the minors like Jordan Weal was. Minimum wage, no more.

18 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Georges Laraque says Danault will sign with Vegas, rumored to be in the 5.5-6.5M AAV range. If it's true, then that would be tampering though. And also way too much money for Danault.

Do we know that he hasnt been granted permission to speak with other teams?  

That will be a big mistake imho.  They traded away the reigning Vezina trophy winner to overpay a one dimensional centre? 

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Do we know that he hasnt been granted permission to speak with other teams?  

That will be a big mistake imho.  They traded away the reigning Vezina trophy winner to overpay a one dimensional centre? 

Vegas also heavily rumored to be in on Eichel, after they felt their biggest hole was 1C. They gave MAF away for nothing, which means they almost certainly have that cap space earmarked for a specific player. Their biggest hole is center and there aren't any trade-your-Vezina-goalie-away-to-get-one centers on the market really (unless they offersheet Pettersson, and that seems like an odd gamble to risk losing your goalie for). The hockey news is reporting that the Buffalo ask for Eichel is Krebs, Hague, Reilly Smith, and a 1st. To put that in perspective, it would be similar to their asking us for Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Drouin, and a 1st. That's the best comparable I can come up with (first piece is a young center albeit JK much better established and more valuable than Krebs right now; second a 2017 draftee with Hague having NHL experience but Poehling being a higher pick and coming off a good AHL season; the third a 2nd line winger; and the last a 1st rounder, with Mtl's arguably being more valuable than Vegas'). I actually posted a very similar package a few days ago and I honestly think it's a reasonable price to play for an elite center. Yes, there's risk here and yes the contract is a lot of money and yes I think JK has not hit his ceiling yet and was great in the playoffs both of the past two seasons). But I'd make that deal for Eichel.

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Vegas also heavily rumored to be in on Eichel, after they felt their biggest hole was 1C. They gave MAF away for nothing, which means they almost certainly have that cap space earmarked for a specific player. Their biggest hole is center and there aren't any trade-your-Vezina-goalie-away-to-get-one centers on the market really (unless they offersheet Pettersson, and that seems like an odd gamble to risk losing your goalie for). The hockey news is reporting that the Buffalo ask for Eichel is Krebs, Hague, Reilly Smith, and a 1st. To put that in perspective, it would be similar to their asking us for Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Drouin, and a 1st. That's the best comparable I can come up with (first piece is a young center albeit JK much better established and more valuable than Krebs right now; second a 2017 draftee with Hague having NHL experience but Poehling being a higher pick and coming off a good AHL season; the third a 2nd line winger; and the last a 1st rounder, with Mtl's arguably being more valuable than Vegas'). I actually posted a very similar package a few days ago and I honestly think it's a reasonable price to play for an elite center. Yes, there's risk here and yes the contract is a lot of money and yes I think JK has not hit his ceiling yet and was great in the playoffs both of the past two seasons). But I'd make that deal for Eichel.

I won't pretend to know enough about Vegas to know if those are good comparables, but if so, and assuming this rumour is true (it seems low for an elite center for Buffalo's "ask" TBH) I'd do that trade in heartbeat (assuming the health concern is manageable), especially if the pick is lottery protected.

Obviously there's some risk trading away 3 first rounders, but there's no guarantee any of them really work out and it's hard to imagine any becoming a Jack Eichel.  For Montreal to go from the team that's been searching for a #1 center for two decades to having Eichel and Suzuki as our top two centers would be amazing.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Georges Laraque says Danault will sign with Vegas, rumored to be in the 5.5-6.5M AAV range. If it's true, then that would be tampering though.

Lots of signings would then be tampering , it happens all the time every year