Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Georges Laraque says Danault will sign with Vegas, rumored to be in the 5.5-6.5M AAV range. If it's true, then that would be tampering though. And also way too much money for Danault.

Honest question: is Laraque a good source on "insider" rumours, or is this more just speculation?

This would seem like a very bad signing for a team that's constantly pressed against the cap, attractive to free agents, and looking for upgrades.  But given GMs don't seem to have a memory beyond the last 12 months, and given Danault was just credited with shutting down their top-line while Vegas's centers did nothing, I could see Vegas talking themselves into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Lots of signings would then be tampering , it happens all the time every year 

We've had that legal tampering period for the last number of years though, which I understand is gone now. Yes, technically they weren't supposed to discuss terms during it, which clearly wasn't respected (funny how at noon on the first day of free agency a lot of deals seemed ready to go), but there's a big difference between violating the "no terms" rules and outright discussions with players or their agents before they hit free agency.

I'm sure teams are leaking some of these offers to get the players attention, but I'm not sure there's widespread tampering going on: the NHL doesn't like it, will punish teams heavily, and it would be pretty easy to get caught.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

I won't pretend to know enough about Vegas to know if those are good comparables, but if so, and assuming this rumour is true (it seems low for an elite center for Buffalo's "ask" TBH) I'd do that trade in heartbeat (assuming the health concern is manageable), especially if the pick is lottery protected.

Obviously there's some risk trading away 3 first rounders, but there's no guarantee any of them really work out and it's hard to imagine any becoming a Jack Eichel.  For Montreal to go from the team that's been searching for a #1 center for two decades to having Eichel and Suzuki as our top two centers would be amazing.

Krebs is one of their best prospects. He was the #17 pick in the draft right after we chose Caufield at 15. Many had Krebs top 5 earlier in the year, but he dropped after a big injury. He only has a few games of NHL experience, hence why I would say Kotkaniemi is more valuable and more proven, but he's widely considered a strong prospect in the NHL world.

Hague was an early 2nd rounder in 2017. He was the Knights 7th D man two years ago and a bottom-pairing guy this year. Nothing flashy. I didn't think we had a true comparable from the 2017 draft, although I guess you could have thrown Romanov in as the comparable D man. Poehling is from the same draft year and probably on the cusp of breaking into the NHL. Hague is maybe a better piece than Poehling but I think Romanov is a better prospect than Hague and frankly, I think our other pieces (JK vs. Krebs and Drouin vs. Smith) would be better than what Vegas has, hence why I used Poehling as the final piece.

Smith is Smith and is more widely known. He's a 2nd pairing winger but he's also already in his 30's. I think Drouin is the better piece here, especially for a team like Buffalo that's re-building.

And as noted, Vegas is considered to be more likely to finish higher up the standings than Montreal and as such, our 1st rounder is probably more valuable than LV's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

Honest question: is Laraque a good source on "insider" rumours, or is this more just speculation?

This would seem like a very bad signing for a team that's constantly pressed against the cap, attractive to free agents, and looking for upgrades.  But given GMs don't seem to have a memory beyond the last 12 months, and given Danault was just credited with shutting down their top-line while Vegas's centers did nothing, I could see Vegas talking themselves into it.

He's obviously connected to the hockey world, but I feel like he's been wrong mostly when he comes out with these types of things. That said, he's a bit like Eklund: throws a lot of stuff out there and hopes something ends up being real, but probably does have some legit sources about a select group of teams/players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some guy on twitter ( lol )

Randy Timmins
@The_Creasy
 

I got confirmation that Montreal are in communication with 3 current UFA forwards. Corey Perry being one, and 2 other players believed to be veteran C’s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Some guy on twitter ( lol )

Randy Timmins
@The_Creasy
 

I got confirmation that Montreal are in communication with 3 current UFA forwards. Corey Perry being one, and 2 other players believed to be veteran C’s.

Perry just signed with TB.  Wonder who the vet centres are..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Perry just signed with TB.  Wonder who the vet centres are..

 

Well you look at who is left... Krejci fits the bill the best (veteran center who can play in the middle 6 and provide some offence if JK falters) but he's already announced today that he'll only sign with the Bruins or no one.

Tyler Bozak was a guy I thought they might target as a back-up option if Danault really walked and they couldn't find a trade partner. Wennberg is gone. Getzlaf is gone. Granlund is gone. Cizikas is another guy I thought they might have poked around but not much need after signing Paquette already. My next guess after that would be Derek Stepan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eichel's agents tonight released a new statement saying that after agreeing to the surgery Eichel wanted, the Sabres doctors then took it back and are again refusing to let Eichel undergo the procedure. The agents say that even if Eichel were to go for the surgery now he would be able to play at the start of the season and that the Sabres are responsible for preventing Eichel from being able to do that. Essentially it sounds like they're publicly requesting a trade.

We know there are other teams out there looking for a 1C. Vegas is maybe #1 among them. Anaheim has also rumored to be interested. Minnesota and the Rangers have apparently backed out. But Mtl is maybe the only team that has been rumored to have formally submitted an offer, so we know we have interest. Really feel like MB has to get back on the phone and find a way to make this deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I would offer KK, Guhle, next years first, Byron, Lehkonen and next years third. I'm not willing to make many changes. No way should they trade Suzuki or Caufield, and I think I'd add Romanov to that as well. 

And here is why I wouldn't pursue Eichel until he is fully recovered from surgery IF at all. The Dr. being interviewed says that in the NFL 70% return to play. If you are giving up a significant package for a player on a 10 Mil contract for 6 more years then you want to get your money's worth and IF I have to give up KK + Guhle + 1st + Byron + Lehky + 3rd then I want more than a 70% chance of return to play. Most I would give up before a return to play is a couple of 1sts, a couple of prospects and a cap offset like Drouin or Byron. Maybe something like Drouin + 2022 2nd becomes a 1st if Eichel plays in 50+ games in the regular season + 2023 1st + Guhle + Farrell. After recovery his value increases to about what the Sabres are asking though IMO. Here is a link to the podcast with the surgeon.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/why-eichel-wants-a-disc-replacement/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

And here is why I wouldn't pursue Eichel until he is fully recovered from surgery IF at all. The Dr. being interviewed says that in the NFL 70% return to play. If you are giving up a significant package for a player on a 10 Mil contract for 6 more years then you want to get your money's worth and IF I have to give up KK + Guhle + 1st + Byron + Lehky + 3rd then I want more than a 70% chance of return to play. Most I would give up before a return to play is a couple of 1sts, a couple of prospects and a cap offset like Drouin or Byron. Maybe something like Drouin + 2022 2nd becomes a 1st if Eichel plays in 50+ games in the regular season + 2023 1st + Guhle + Farrell. After recovery his value increases to about what the Sabres are asking though IMO. Here is a link to the podcast with the surgeon.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/why-eichel-wants-a-disc-replacement/

 

I'm willing to give that up but you make a good point, maybe the picks shouldn't be for next year but the year after if he plays X amount of games to lessen the risk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, campabee82 said:

After recovery his value increases to about what the Sabres are asking though IMO. Here is a link to the podcast with the surgeon.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/why-eichel-wants-a-disc-replacement/

great post camp...the Sabres will come down in their expectations if this drama continues  ...maybe then worth a look at that point but $10 x 6  for an unknown is still rolling the dice big time ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

great post camp...the Sabres will come down in their expectations if this drama continues  ...maybe then worth a look at that point but $10 x 6  for an unknown is still rolling the dice big time ...

KK is my favorite Hab right now but IF we can get Eichel after he has recovered from surgery I'd give up KK. Before Surgery not so much, maybe you look at a 1 for 1 for Zuke or KK before surgery but I am not sure I would still want to take that gamble. Also if you listened to the podcast the doctor says that 70% of NFL players who had disc replacement surgery returned to the NFL. That means 30% were not able to return to play. You really want to give up what equates to 4 1sts for a 30% chance he never returns to play? I wouldn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sabres preferred method of surgery , there is 25% chance that Eichel will require additional surgery within the next 10 years . The other surgery there is a 5 % chance he will require further surgery . Minnesota and LA are reportedly out . NYR may also be out ( they do not want to include lafreniere or Kakko  ) . Vegas freed up cap space trading MAF but the just signed Dadonov .  That leaves Anaheim who are in no rush . Appears JE may return for another yr of misery . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Per Elliott’s Friedman , Christian Dvorak has been connected to flames wild sharks rangers and your Montreal Canadiens 

 

Dvorak is on a reasonable contract - if we could trade for him giving up Drouin for a fresh start, draft choices or Jordan Harris I’d say green light - he would be a solid Centre depth addition 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Several SJ Sharks players do not want evsnder Kane back on the team next season . The team was trying to trade him earlier in the summer . 
 

Note to MB : do not try and trade for him . He is lacking in character 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Several SJ Sharks players do not want evsnder Kane back on the team next season . The team was trying to trade him earlier in the summer . 
 

Note to MB : do not try and trade for him . He is lacking in character 

that guy is a walking disaster want nothing to with him. If he was a #1 puck moving d man I MIGHT consider it, but not for a winger, it's not valuable enough for a diva

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Several SJ Sharks players do not want evsnder Kane back on the team next season . The team was trying to trade him earlier in the summer . 
 

Note to MB : do not try and trade for him . He is lacking in character 

 

47 minutes ago, habsisme said:

that guy is a walking disaster want nothing to with him. If he was a #1 puck moving d man I MIGHT consider it, but not for a winger, it's not valuable enough for a diva

Thankfully i dont think MB would consider it.   He's a solid talent on the ice but off he's exactly what you dont want on your team... 

I also think that MB is targeting a PMD or a Centre at this point. We have Toffoli, Anderson, Hoffman, Gallagher, Caufield, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron, Perreault and possibly Ylonen - thats 10 guys vying for 8 spots, with about 6 or 7 of them as legitimate top 2 line wingers on most teams.   IMHO some of them get moved before the start of the season & I dont see MB brining in more wingers in the meantime, but who knows. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...