The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA signings

We'll re-sign both Perry and Staal.

We'll offer Hamilton a contract but he decides to sign elsewhere.

We'll overpay for Martinez instead.

Danault will realize that he's not going to get the money he wants and stays in Montreal, giving us essentially the same lineup as last season.

8 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Danault will realize that he's not going to get the money he wants and stays in Montreal, giving us essentially the same lineup as last season.

Don't forget Merrill and Gus.

36 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I hope so! we had a great off season last year let's keep that up!

I'm expecting he makes a pitch at Armia. I just hope it's not something like the Byron extension a few years ago. I thought it was a mistake back then giving term to a 3rd/4th line player. Anything beyond 2 to 3 years is "let him walk" territory IMO. If Dano takes a hike then i imagine another center is in the plans ( better not be Staal), and then there's the Weber hole to fill.

7 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Will MB be an active participant? 

I feel like he will be working the phones, but I'm skeptical about what he'll be able to get done. We're not going to get Dougie Hamilton, so... He seems like the BIG prize. And he would definitely fill a need. But, we're not gonna get him.

We'll probably sign Tony DeAngelo. :ph34r:

8 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Staal is off to Detroit 

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I'm expecting he makes a pitch at Armia. I just hope it's not something like the Byron extension a few years ago. I thought it was a mistake back then giving term to a 3rd/4th line player. Anything beyond 2 to 3 years is "let him walk" territory IMO. If Dano takes a hike then i imagine another center is in the plans ( better not be Staal), and then there's the Weber hole to fill.

Armia has more value than Byron for me he is world class at keeping the puck! and on a line with a guy like Perry and one of our young fast guys could be a great puck control unit.

42 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Armia has more value than Byron for me he is world class at keeping the puck! and on a line with a guy like Perry and one of our young fast guys could be a great puck control unit.

I agree he has more value then Byron TODAY. Maybe wasn't the case when Byron got that extension and look where we stand today with still a couple years to go. In my books he's still a 3rd or 4th line player and i like the guy. I also like Byron, but as a business with a fixed Cap, i don't want to hand out long term deals to guys who are replaceable on short term deals. Byron's has come back to bite us this year and it certainly doesn't look like we'll get value for the next two. We couldn't even give him away this year despite multiple attempts. Players like him are signing one year deals around the League for cheap these days. MB needs to put a zipper on that candy bag of his he likes to hand out to bottom 6 players. 

9 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I agree he has more value then Byron TODAY. Maybe wasn't the case when Byron got that extension and look where we stand today with still a couple years to go. In my books he's still a 3rd or 4th line player and i like the guy. I also like Byron, but as a business with a fixed Cap, i don't want to hand out long term deals to guys who are replaceable on short term deals. Byron's has come back to bite us this year and it certainly doesn't look like we'll get value for the next two. We couldn't even give him away this year despite multiple attempts. Players like him are signing one year deals around the League for cheap these days. MB needs to put a zipper on that candy bag of his he likes to hand out to bottom 6 players. 

Oh I agree! I really liked Byron when we resigned him but it was a cray deal at the time and we are paying for it now. I guess my point is I think Armia is a player we need right now where Byron is really just filler at this point. I think 3 years is good for Armia at whatever turns out to be a fair price, I really want us to have the cash to get a serious Defensive upgrade and hopefully some help up front too.

My best guess is any of the following

Suter 3 years at 3.5 (cause that is MB's favorite deal for 3rd pairing D)

Saad 5.5 Mil x 5 years (another MB fav)

Danault 6 Mil x 6 years

Armia 2.75 Mil x 5 years (he is still kind of young so he may get term)

Savard 4 Mil x 4 or 5 years

MB will offer both Landeskog and Hamilton 8.5 Mil x 7 years both will pass.

We ice a similar lineup next year as the last 2 seasons. Suck in the regular season bit this time miss the playoffs because there is no North division or expanded format.

23 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

My best guess is any of the following

Suter 3 years at 3.5 (cause that is MB's favorite deal for 3rd pairing D)

Saad 5.5 Mil x 5 years (another MB fav)

Danault 6 Mil x 6 years

Armia 2.75 Mil x 5 years (he is still kind of young so he may get term)

Savard 4 Mil x 4 or 5 years

MB will offer both Landeskog and Hamilton 8.5 Mil x 7 years both will pass.

We ice a similar lineup next year as the last 2 seasons. Suck in the regular season bit this time miss the playoffs because there is no North division or expanded format.

I hope not, but... you're probably close to right. Except I don't see Danault coming back. I think he's off to another team. He'll have plenty of people calling his agent.

I could be into a Brandon Saad signing for 4-5 years. No longer, though. Suter and Savard both feel like mistakes to me.

And yeah, we're totally not getting Landeskog or Hamilton. Not gonna happen.

Signs Getzlav to fill the role Stall had only Getz will fill it better and actually be useful.

Perry will resign

MB will make a run at signing Hamilton but will come upo short

Instead will send an offer sheet to Petterson stealing him from Vancouver :)

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I hope not, but... you're probably close to right. Except I don't see Danault coming back. I think he's off to another team. He'll have plenty of people calling his agent.

I could see him getting a lot of calls but I dont know how many offers he'll get.  Maybe a team that's weak down the middle but on any good team he's your 3rd line C and you just cannot pay your 3rd best centre the kind of money he wants...

3 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Signs Getzlav to fill the role Stall had only Getz will fill it better and actually be useful.

Perry will resign

MB will make a run at signing Hamilton but will come upo short

Instead will send an offer sheet to Petterson stealing him from Vancouver :)

Id actually be quite interested in reuining Getzlaf and Perry on our 4th line. I think they'd be excellent and it may give us the flexibility to go Suzuki - JK - Evans/Poehling - Getzlaf and lose Danault. 

I would love to get Petterson but I think Vancouver would do basically everything they could to keep him. 

I hope we manage to attract Hamilton. Thats the biggest & best move MB could make this year... 

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Alec Martinez has re-signed with Vegas for 3 years, 5M AAV. He was a LHD that Habs were reportedly looking at. Off the table.

Thats good. I have never been a fan tbh and considering he just turned 34 today... im glad we didnt look at signing him... $5m at 37  is going to look bad imho. 

Everything about who we sign comes down to contract. Again, I strongly believe MB is going to target at least two Quebecers after the heat he took for Danault and Drouin both being on IR at the same time. David Savard is a logical choice given the gaping hole at right D. I think Matthieu Perreault could be a target too, and some media outlets have Cedric Paquette as a possibility. Whichever names they are, I am almost certain MB will over-reach on someone to be able to fill that void.

As for the rest, Hamilton remains the best fit for us (but is also the best fit for numerous other teams). Waddell seemed to think they would get a deal done with him in Carolina, but keep in mind that Hamilton was given permission to speak to other clubs already, so he theoretically already knows what other teams might offer him. If he had done the tour around and figured Carolina was his best fit, he would have been free to sign that deal already. Maybe he's holding out til the last minute to try and pressure more out of them, but the longer this goes, the more the chances he'll take his services elsewhere.

Other rumors have Landeskog not being close at all with Colorado, Ovi wanting 10M x 3-4 years, and Suter wanting a multi-year deal.

So what do I think MB's game plan is:

1. Patch up the need for a French-Quebecer and the hole on RD at the same time by signing Savard.

2. Signing a depth Quebecer as well, be it Perreault or Paquette or Demers or other. Maybe Bellemarre being from France would pass the test.

3. Going after Hamilton. Important to remember that we have nothing on the farm at RD. With Weber out and Fleury gone, we literally have Petry and then Brook and that's it. So I think he knows he's got to find two players who can play here and having Romanov or Kulak off-wing isn't ideal. Having Savard in the top 4 isn't ideal. I think he knows he needs a 2nd-pairing guy. If Hamilton isn't coming, then the rest of the free agent pool is thin, but Tyson Barrie becomes the next man up. Travis Hamonic is out there. Cody Ceci is hopefully not a consideration but is out there. Ditto Zach Bogosian. Sami Vatanen if you're hoping for a rebound year. Slim pickings. Trade also an option, with Dumba being the best-known available RHD.

4. Addressing the need for a middle 6 center. Evans is ideally on a 4th line with Lehkonen and Byron. Suzuki is your 1C. They've talked about giving more chance to JK, but ultimately, I don't think they have confidence in him yet, so I think MB is looking for a veteran who can be at least a 3C and possibly  a 2C if they need it. Danault remains an option if he doesn't like his offers elsewhere and circles back. Krejci fits the bill on a short-term deal. Wennberg, Brassard, Bozak, Granlund, Haula, Sutter. I think he's going to go down that list of veteran centers albeit the last couple are really 4th liners who play the 3rd in a pinch and not ideally your 2C.

5. Past that, it's luxury additions. I think he'll inquire about Brandon Saad as a winger. Maybe Mike Hoffman or Alex Chiasson. Maybe he looks at some 4th line grit if he hasn't signed a depth Quebecer... Casey Cizikas, Luke Glendening, Riley Sheahan, or Brock McGinn. Maybe Armia re-signed. He might also take a spin on a LHD like Montour if he can't make a splash on the right.

Ultimately, I think we're going to see the usual depth tinkering in free agency but no big splashes. MB has been pretty consistently unwilling to pay for free agents and when he does overpay, it's been for pluggers anyways. I think we're more likely to see a big name coming here if it's via trade and again, I'll toss around names like Werenski, Dumba, Dunn, and Fowler as possible targets. I also wonder if MB won't inquire about Kris Letang. Older guy who maybe Pittsburgh would be okay with moving on from, but who fits the need here for a top 3 RHD and a French player, even if he's past prime. I wouldn't make the move, but maybe MB would the way Edmonton went for Keith.

A great off-season for me would be if he can find a way to get Hamilton or barring that, to acquire a true top-pairing D man like Werenski via trade.

A good off-season will be if he can patch the defence and/or acquire a young player who can grow into a top 4 spot (Connor Timmins, Vince Dunn, Noah Dobson, etc.). Would have loved to have seen Jake Bean but that ship has sailed. On top of that, he would need to address the 2-3C slot in some way.

A bad off-season will be if he only finds more Chiarot/Edmundson types to fill out the D. If all we're getting is players of the ilk of Savard, Demers, Ceci, Bogosian, etc. we're going to be in huge trouble next year. I think we can patch the forward lines together if we need to, but the D needs two significant upgrades this off-season to be passable. That's what will determine how good an off-season MB has.

39 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Ultimately, I think we're going to see the usual depth tinkering in free agency but no big splashes. MB has been pretty consistently unwilling to pay for free agents and when he does overpay, it's been for pluggers anyways. I think we're more likely to see a big name coming here if it's via trade and again, I'll toss around names like Werenski, Dumba, Dunn, and Fowler as possible targets. I also wonder if MB won't inquire about Kris Letang. Older guy who maybe Pittsburgh would be okay with moving on from, but who fits the need here for a top 3 RHD and a French player, even if he's past prime. I wouldn't make the move, but maybe MB would the way Edmonton went for Keith.

A great off-season for me would be if he can find a way to get Hamilton or barring that, to acquire a true top-pairing D man like Werenski via trade.

A good off-season will be if he can patch the defence and/or acquire a young player who can grow into a top 4 spot (Connor Timmins, Vince Dunn, Noah Dobson, etc.). Would have loved to have seen Jake Bean but that ship has sailed. On top of that, he would need to address the 2-3C slot in some way.

A bad off-season will be if he only finds more Chiarot/Edmundson types to fill out the D. If all we're getting is players of the ilk of Savard, Demers, Ceci, Bogosian, etc. we're going to be in huge trouble next year. I think we can patch the forward lines together if we need to, but the D needs two significant upgrades this off-season to be passable. That's what will determine how good an off-season MB has.

I agree with most of your list. Although I do think we're likely to see a lot more than just "tinkering" this year.  I think the fact we came 3 games from a cup (regardless that we may think we got lucky along the way) is the sign to MB to "go for it" so I think he's going to try to make a few big signings/moves etc.  Nothing will really surprise me tbh - and thats a concern because i could see him trading youth for vets.  

My biggest worry is that he will lose out on guys like Hamilton or Landeskog and will then look at trades & end up moving young players like Kotkaniemi or Romanov for vets who only have a few years left in the tank.... 

If we can't make a solid move to strengthen the lineup, then i would hope MB doesn't commit money and term for consolation choices just to spend money. We'll need that money shortly to lock up some of our key kids. If he can't make the BIG move, then use that money to buy somebody else's problems in the short term while accumulating prospects and picks. The worst thing he can do is sit on the money like he did a few seasons ago. Spending to the Cap is one of the few advantages this team can exploit. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

I agree with most of your list. Although I do think we're likely to see a lot more than just "tinkering" this year.  I think the fact we came 3 games from a cup (regardless that we may think we got lucky along the way) is the sign to MB to "go for it" so I think he's going to try to make a few big signings/moves etc.  Nothing will really surprise me tbh - and thats a concern because i could see him trading youth for vets.  

My biggest worry is that he will lose out on guys like Hamilton or Landeskog and will then look at trades & end up moving young players like Kotkaniemi or Romanov for vets who only have a few years left in the tank.... 

Just to re-emphasize what I wrote, I'm not saying MB won't go big in terms of a trade. I think he might. But as far as free agency goes, I think we'll only see tinkering (ie I don't think we're going to get Hamilton and I don't think we're players for guys like Landeskog or so on). If there's a big move, it'll be by trade. The guys most vulnerable to being traded would include Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, Kulak, Byron, Poehling, and any of our other young prospects or future picks.

19 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Just to re-emphasize what I wrote, I'm not saying MB won't go big in terms of a trade. I think he might. But as far as free agency goes, I think we'll only see tinkering (ie I don't think we're going to get Hamilton and I don't think we're players for guys like Landeskog or so on). If there's a big move, it'll be by trade. The guys most vulnerable to being traded would include Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, Kulak, Byron, Poehling, and any of our other young prospects or future picks.

I think he might. If guys like Ovechkin or Krejci hit the open market (I dont think they will but if they did) I think he'd try.

Im actually fairly worried about what he does this season. There's a great potential to make us a better team but i worry he might go the other way. 

• H_T_L changed the title to UFA signings
  • H_T_L locked this topic