The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA signings

51 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yeah for me it was hamilton or bust, there's nothing to get excited about here sadly

Agree.  For the most part he was the only player that I felt could really change this team for the better.  Other guys may help but nothing drastic. We're still in a (major) need for a top defensman, but other than hamilton you weren't finding that via UFA.  I still think MB makes 1 or 2 big trades before the season starts. 

46 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

Has there been any update that Weber will play at some point next year?  Or is that just wishful thinking?

There isnt & likely wont be because he has 3 severe (and one less severe) injuries that could all require surgery.  ANY athlete trying to rehab from that would have a tough time but a 35 year old... that seems unlikely (which is why some say he's done).   That said, its not out of the realm of possibility that he comes back for the playoffs or next year.

I *think* its for that reason that MB didnt go harder after Hamilton.  It would have taken all of Weber's cap hit (and then some) and if there's a possibility that Weber returns...   I dont think thats the right way to look at it, but I think its how MB has viewed it.  He'll spend Weber's LTIR money but only on multiple players (or short contracts) because he can move some if and when Shea returns. 

21 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Hoffman 3 years 4.5 million.

Decent signing.  Could be this year's Toffoli.    Suddenly we have 4 wingers who can all score and guys like Armia and Lehkonen etc can play in the bottom 6. 

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed. I think they're going to use Drouin, Kulak, and maybe Lehkonen, Byron, or Kotkaniemi as trade chips. I would put the odds of Drouin lining up here on opening night at 20%.

I have been thinking the same thing, if he is planning a trade he may need to get the chips in place first to be sure he can pull it off.

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agree.  For the most part he was the only player that I felt could really change this team for the better.  Other guys may help but nothing drastic. We're still in a (major) need for a top defensman, but other than hamilton you weren't finding that via UFA.  I still think MB makes 1 or 2 big trades before the season starts. 

There isnt & likely wont be because he has 3 severe (and one less severe) injuries that could all require surgery.  ANY athlete trying to rehab from that would have a tough time but a 35 year old... that seems unlikely (which is why some say he's done).   That said, its not out of the realm of possibility that he comes back for the playoffs or next year.

I *think* its for that reason that MB didnt go harder after Hamilton.  It would have taken all of Weber's cap hit (and then some) and if there's a possibility that Weber returns...   I dont think thats the right way to look at it, but I think its how MB has viewed it.  He'll spend Weber's LTIR money but only on multiple players (or short contracts) because he can move some if and when Shea returns. 

Decent signing.  Could be this year's Toffoli.    Suddenly we have 4 wingers who can all score and guys like Armia and Lehkonen etc can play in the bottom 6. 

Yep scoring was our issue in the playoffs, no Drouin and Tater hurt us that is usually a good 40-45 goals a year right there.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Hamilton signing now official at 7 years, 9M AAV in NJ.

What was the fascination with Hamilton . I’m looking at his career stats and his numbers for the past couple of years look similar to Petrys. 

44 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

What was the fascination with Hamilton . I’m looking at his career stats and his numbers for the past couple of years look similar to Petrys. 

He was the best guy available and he is good but wow 9mil for 7 years.......not too sure about that.

Not a bad day at all. I had my concerns about signing Savard when I heard the rumor's, but mostly regarding $$$$. 4 years at $3.5, I can definitely jive with that! Savard was a beast for Tampa down the stretch. I know he's not the puck mover we were hoping for, but aside from Hamilton (who is great, but I don't know about $9x7 great), there really wasn't much. HE fills the physical, defensive gap left by Weber, falls short (understatement) on the goals. But for less than half the caphit, not too shabby. This might actually be addition through subtraction. It could have ben argued that we would have been better off with Weber/Chiarot sliding back a bit on our depth chart and letting Petry/Edmonson (which was darn good all year) carry the 1st pair burden. With Savard instead of Web's, this is the obvious adjustment, and Savard/Chirot as a 2nd pair could be very effective. Another thing to keep in mind is that although Savard is no Makar, he still has better mobility than Weber at this stage in their careers. 

Paquette is a decent, low cost replacement for Danault (who I swear, following the FA tracker on the SC app had it originally with the Hab's logo next to Danault's signing details, I just about lost my @$#%). Although I do wish he had better face off stats. But hey, I've always liked Paquette.

Hoffman is a pretty nice grab as well, solid history on the powerplay. I had him on my want list for last offseason, so I definitely don't mind picking him up here. And again, $4.5 is a great price.

If this is all we do, I think we are definitely better off than what we were this time yesterday. But I do have a feeling some kind of trade is brewing. Seems like we have a lot of wingers (even if we don't end up re-signing Perry). Is there a PMD out there on the block? Could an Eichel deal still be in the works? Are we going to get a deal nobody expected? Or is this it? Either way, I am content so far.

1 minute ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Not a bad day at all. I had my concerns about signing Savard when I heard the rumor's, but mostly regarding $$$$. 4 years at $3.5, I can definitely jive with that! Savard was a beast for Tampa down the stretch. I know he's not the puck mover we were hoping for, but aside from Hamilton (who is great, but I don't know about $9x7 great), there really wasn't much. HE fills the physical, defensive gap left by Weber, falls short (understatement) on the goals. But for less than half the caphit, not too shabby. This might actually be addition through subtraction. It could have ben argued that we would have been better off with Weber/Chiarot sliding back a bit on our depth chart and letting Petry/Edmonson (which was darn good all year) carry the 1st pair burden. With Savard instead of Web's, this is the obvious adjustment, and Savard/Chirot as a 2nd pair could be very effective. Another thing to keep in mind is that although Savard is no Makar, he still has better mobility than Weber at this stage in their careers. 

Paquette is a decent, low cost replacement for Danault (who I swear, following the FA tracker on the SC app had it originally with the Hab's logo next to Danault's signing details, I just about lost my @$#%). Although I do wish he had better face off stats. But hey, I've always liked Paquette.

Hoffman is a pretty nice grab as well, solid history on the powerplay. I had him on my want list for last offseason, so I definitely don't mind picking him up here. And again, $4.5 is a great price.

If this is all we do, I think we are definitely better off than what we were this time yesterday. But I do have a feeling some kind of trade is brewing. Seems like we have a lot of wingers (even if we don't end up re-signing Perry). Is there a PMD out there on the block? Could an Eichel deal still be in the works? Are we going to get a deal nobody expected? Or is this it? Either way, I am content so far.

yeah its not a BAD day by any stretch. But we're deep at the wing, quetionable and young at center, and on D we dont have a true #1 guy by any stretch of the imagination

I don't think MB hurt us during UFA, as per usual.

He has chips available if a trade makes sense (roster players, picks, prospects), and if not, he's got a solid opening night lineup.  We do know that he's open to big trades, and he usually does well more times than not imo.

We really need to make the playoffs, and not take that for granted. Then if we make the playoffs, Weber may be able to play.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

He is a very similar player to Petry. He's a puck mover, a good skater and a great passer.  Like Petry he's very big but not massively physical. They are actually very very similar players (with Hamilton a slight edge on offense) but wouldnt you want another Petry on this team? Especially when you consider that Edmundson, Chiarot and Savard are not puck movers.  You add another Petry and you have a guy who can start the breakout well on both of your top pairs - approx 45-50 minutes of the game.  That would be ideal. Plus he's young - like 5 years younger than Petry.

No question its a ton more money but you know an UFA is always going to get 30%+ more than signing your own player. 

2 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Good post. Agree. And i dont think we're done.  Right now we're better than we were yesterday - and in some ways, better than we were to start last year, but in other ways, we're potentially worse.  If we start the year with this roster we have a lot of question marks - that might work out - but would be risky. 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Could you imagine a how much of a scoring threat Hoffman-Suzuki-Caufield will be?

On paper, it could be a phenomenal line, but I don't know if they would trust it defensively. 

29 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yeah its not a BAD day by any stretch. But we're deep at the wing, quetionable and young at center, and on D we dont have a true #1 guy by any stretch of the imagination

For sure.  We haven't filled that #1 LD for a few years,  and,  if we consider,  Weber was a #1 or #2 RD, we haven't filled that opening either. We absolutely,  can not go into the season with these defence pairings and expect to make the playoffs.  Did Barrie sign yet? I'm not a big fan,  but he is better than what we have. 

26 minutes ago, electron58 said:

For sure.  We haven't filled that #1 LD for a few years,  and,  if we consider,  Weber was a #1 or #2 RD, we haven't filled that opening either. We absolutely,  can not go into the season with these defence pairings and expect to make the playoffs.  Did Barrie sign yet? I'm not a big fan,  but he is better than what we have. 

He reupped with Oilers

Kuemper traded from Phx to Col for a 1st rounder and Conor Timmins. Damn. Makes you wonder if they'd have given us that for Allen... or more for Price. Another opportunity missed IMO.

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Kuemper traded from Phx to Col for a 1st rounder and Conor Timmins. Damn. Makes you wonder if they'd have given us that for Allen... or more for Price. Another opportunity missed IMO.

Kuemper is a 31 year-old goalie making 4.5M on an expiring contract. He's on his 4th team, has a career .916 sv % and was at .907 last year.

Jake Allen is a 30 year-old goalie making 2.875M with two years to go. He's played for two teams and has a career .912 sv % and he was at .907 last year as well.

Pretty comparable performers. So if Colorado had come knocking, I'd have taken Timmins (who I've been saying would have been an available young RHD target for Bergevin) and the 1st and been okay running Primeau as the back-up as we re-build.

11 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Well,  we can forget about Timmins.

16 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

In free agency yeah but MB  tends to do better in trades anyways. I hope that trend continues!

What team would you think,  has a RD that they could spare for the right deal? I'm not hearing any chatter. I'd be OK with a blockbuster for the right RD or LD for that matter. Probably easier to get someone in a trade,  as free agents usually pick U.S. markets.

2 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Well,  we can forget about Timmins.

Had a list over the past year or two of young D men that I thought MB could have been able to target... in the past, I've had guys like Theodore, Byram, and Dobson on that list and I think the ship has sailed on all of them as they established themselves in the NHL. This year, I had players like Jake Bean, Vince Dunn, and Conor Timmins. All three of those guys have been claimed/traded and for nothing returns (one exposed in ED for free, one for a 2nd rounder, one as part of a package deal for a journeyman goalie). You want to find real top 4 D men instead of the bottom pairing muckers he keeps signing and you either have to draft them or develop them for the most part. We lucked out with Petry that Edmonton didn't know what they were doing (and the advanced stats predicted he'd be a steal) but given our LHD prospects are a bit further away and we have no one on the right, it would have been good to go after a guy just about ready to jump into the NHL or a guy under-appreciated by his team (like Dunn). Sad that we missed out on all these guys.

3 minutes ago, electron58 said:

What team would you think,  has a RD that they could spare for the right deal? I'm not hearing any chatter. I'd be OK with a blockbuster for the right RD or LD for that matter. Probably easier to get someone in a trade,  as free agents usually pick U.S. markets.

Options I think MB might have:

1. Trade a player like Chiarot or a mid-round draft pick for Vince Dunn.

2. Make an offer sheet to Rasmus Dahlin.

3. Make a play for a young D man who isn't established yet (Thomas Harley with Dallas, Victor Soderstrom with Ari, Cam York with Phi, etc.).

4. Hope that one of his own young guys takes a big leap and is ready (Norlinder, Brook, Guhle...).

5. Trade Drouin for D help.

• H_T_L changed the title to UFA signings
  • H_T_L locked this topic