The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA signings

55 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Options I think MB might have:

1. Trade a player like Chiarot or a mid-round draft pick for Vince Dunn.

2. Make an offer sheet to Rasmus Dahlin.

3. Make a play for a young D man who isn't established yet (Thomas Harley with Dallas, Victor Soderstrom with Ari, Cam York with Phi, etc.).

4. Hope that one of his own young guys takes a big leap and is ready (Norlinder, Brook, Guhle...).

5. Trade Drouin for D help.

Sure.  I would try 1, but bergebin had all year to get Dunn. Probably not happening. Problem with an offer sheet,  is Buffalo would easily match. Make a play for a young D? Depending on who,  I'd give up a first. I mean, they were first rounders so...... I'm thinking,  that he really hopes Norlinder can make the jump, and, he just might. And finally,  definitely,  trade Drouin for Sergachev. Oh wait, that's not happening. So it looks like 3, 4, & 5 are the realistic options, and if they feel Norlinder is ready, then 4 & 5, or both.

• H_T_L changed the title to UFA signings

OK.  I couldn't find anywhere to ask this question, since technically, it's related to the expansion draft, and that thread disappeared.  News:  

NHL

WASHINGTON CAPITALS

SEATTLE KRAKEN
3h ago

Capitals re-acquire Vanecek from Kraken
The Washington Capitals have acquired goaltender Vitek Vanecek from the Seattle Kraken in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft, the team announced on Wednesday.
TSN.ca Staff

So my question being, why did they say that if the Kraken selected CP they could not trade him back to the Habs?  Just saying...........

7 minutes ago, electron58 said:

OK.  I couldn't find anywhere to ask this question, since technically, it's related to the expansion draft, and that thread disappeared.  News:  

NHL

WASHINGTON CAPITALS

SEATTLE KRAKEN
3h ago

Capitals re-acquire Vanecek from Kraken
The Washington Capitals have acquired goaltender Vitek Vanecek from the Seattle Kraken in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft, the team announced on Wednesday.
TSN.ca Staff

So my question being, why did they say that if the Kraken selected CP they could not trade him back to the Habs?  Just saying...........

no they said that they couldn't trade him back WITH salary retained. There's no salary retained in this trade so its fine

3 hours ago, electron58 said:

What team would you think,  has a RD that they could spare for the right deal? I'm not hearing any chatter. I'd be OK with a blockbuster for the right RD or LD for that matter. Probably easier to get someone in a trade,  as free agents usually pick U.S. markets.

I was thinking a trade for Dunn might be doable there are a couple of others but things are in flux right now some move will probably happen in the next couple of weeks.

12 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Nick Foligno signs with the ruins. 

Ha Ha - The Laff fans must be seething on how much little Harry Potter paid to acquire Foligno at the trade deadline prior to us bouncing them in the playoffs. Four games, 1 assist and a fight with Corey Perry for a 2021 first round draft choice,  

5 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I was thinking a trade for Dunn might be doable there are a couple of others but things are in flux right now some move will probably happen in the next couple of weeks.

The Krakken have 3-5 solid LD players besides Dunn as an RFA. I wonder what the asking price would be for him. Paul Byron and a draft pick?

We have some potential at LW now, with Drouin (Assuming healthy return), Toffoli, Hoffman, Lehkonen  and RW seems to be set with Gallagher, Anderson, Caufield, Armia - Byron would seem to be expensive retention (press box) unless MB decides to sell low on Drouin who has a 3 team no trade list. 3rd line / 4th line centre IMO is still suspect as Paquette / Poehling are question marks behind Suzuki, KK, and Evans. 

Montreal Canadiens sign Jean-Sebastien Dea to two-way contract.

The contract will pay him $750,000 at the NHL level, with an AHL salary of $450,000.

Dea is 27 years old and is listed at 5’11”, 168 pounds. He has spent time in the organizations of the Pittsburgh Penguins, New Jersey Devils, and Buffalo Sabres, and will provide the organization with some added depth up front.

He has played 33 career NHL games, scoring five goals and adding two assists. This past season, he played one NHL game, going pointless. Most of his time this season was with the Rochester Americans of the AHL where he had six goals and nine assists in 15 games.

34 minutes ago, habsisme said:

no they said that they couldn't trade him back WITH salary retained. There's no salary retained in this trade so its fine

Interesting. It's allowed during the season, but special rules just for this draft?  Go figure. Thought they were making it as easy as possible for the Kraken to get better from the get go. But, that does explain it.  Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, claremont said:

The Krakken have 3-5 solid LD players besides Dunn as an RFA. I wonder what the asking price would be for him. Paul Byron and a draft pick?

We have some potential at LW now, with Drouin (Assuming healthy return), Toffoli, Hoffman, Lehkonen  and RW seems to be set with Gallagher, Anderson, Caufield, Armia - Byron would seem to be expensive retention (press box) unless MB decides to sell low on Drouin who has a 3 team no trade list. 3rd line / 4th line centre IMO is still suspect as Paquette / Poehling are question marks behind Suzuki, KK, and Evans. 

You are correct.  They have 5 left D signed to contracts. They could probably use a left winger. It might take Paul Byron & a #1 pick in 2022 draft. Although, they could just sign Tatar but then they miss out on the pick. Maybe there is something about Dunn that the Habs don't like. We could have used him last year, especially in the PO's when we were burning out our D.

The Buffalo Sabres have signed unrestricted free agent goalie Aaron Dell to a one-year contract worth $750,000. This contract carries him through the 2021-22 season. The team announced the deal on Wednesday evening.

With Linus Ullmark signing with the Boston, and Carter Hutton signing in Arizona, the Sabres found themselves without an experienced NHL goalie. They fixed that on Wednesday night, signing one of the most experienced goalies on the market. The Sabres and 40-year-old goalie Craig Anderson agreed on a one-year deal for $750,000.00.

The Minnesota Wild have added another defenseman late on Wednesday. According to Michael Russo, the Wild have agreed with veteran defenseman Dmitry Kulikov on a two-year deal. The contract is worth $4.5 million, or 2.25 million AAV.

27 minutes ago, claremont said:

is Dunn really worth it though, is he much better than Chiarot and Edmundson? More of a puck mover for sure but right now if we were to trade for D, I'd much prefer a puck mover on the right side. That will also give Romanov a chance to compete with the aformentioned for a top 4 spot on the left spot (where he should be)

David Kampf has found a new home.  The 26-year-old forward has agreed to terms with the Toronto Maple Leafs on a two-year contract. His cap hit is $1.5 million. 

Kampf spent his first four NHL seasons in Chicago, 

7 hours ago, habsisme said:

is Dunn really worth it though, is he much better than Chiarot and Edmundson? More of a puck mover for sure but right now if we were to trade for D, I'd much prefer a puck mover on the right side. That will also give Romanov a chance to compete with the aformentioned for a top 4 spot on the left spot (where he should be)

That’s a good question- I agree that Romanov is better on his natural left but he’s quite talented to play right. The issue on left is we don’t really have a LHD that can effectively play the power play - Dunn would fill that need as I don’t think Norlinder or any of our future prospects jumps into that for the next 2 years, unless Romanov further emerges. We have overlap at LHD with Chiarot, Edmundson, Kulak which crowds Romanov. Petry by default is our RHD puck mover and first unit PP D - nice to have more but not enough?

• H_T_L locked this topic