The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA signings

8 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Ryan getzlaf $4.5 million with Anaheim .   

why so much ???

4 hours ago, electron58 said:

Yeah.  I seen that. Do you think Perry wants a lot more?

This is one of those rare cases where on the open market a player woudlnt get as much. I assume that most teams wouldnt go over $3m for him.   

With regards to Perry, remember he got bought out, so he's still getting paid $2m by the ducks for the net two years.   I suspect he'd like something more like $1.5-2m but i think where he signs is more important to him than for how much tbh. 

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

This is one of those rare cases where on the open market a player woudlnt get as much. I assume that most teams wouldnt go over $3m for him.   

With regards to Perry, remember he got bought out, so he's still getting paid $2m by the ducks for the net two years.   I suspect he'd like something more like $1.5-2m but i think where he signs is more important to him than for how much tbh. 

agreed ...Ducks massively overpaid for Getzlaf who ended up on the 4th line a lot and had little production ...he'll retire a Duck and it's probably only for one more year and got this money as a parting gift ...as for the Habs if they use Weber's salary they can sign KK and Lehtonen and Perry at something around 1.5 mill and bring Weber back for play-offs ....I like what the team has done ...Savard will fit in , Hoffman will snipe  some much needed goals , Paquette will be serviceable and we kept Armia ....oh ..and didn't pay Hamilton ridiculous money ..like others I get the feeling Bergevin is still beating the bushes on a trade 

8 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Corey Perry signed a 2 year deal with TB. 

Sad to see him go but honestly wouldnt have loved it if Bergevin had given him 2 years.  Could he possibly be good in 2 years? Sure. He might even be good in 3 or 4 years but i would be on a strict year by year deal right now.  Too much risk

Best remaining free agents available

By Sean Gentille

July 28, 2021 at 5:19 PM EDT

Time to check the scrap heap. Going through Dom’s Top 50 and seeing who’s left really hammers home how much work got done today. Here are some of the (few) interesting names. None of them are goalies. Probably not a great sign for Colorado or Pittsburgh in particular, but we’ll deal with that later.

13. Tomas Tatar. It seems like Montreal opted for Mike Hoffman as a goal-scoring element over Tatar. That makes sense, given that Tatar was a playoff scratch. What makes less sense is that Tatar is pretty good on his own. He’s scored at least 20 six times and had 30 points in 50 games last season. Evolving Hockey, regularly dead on with their contract predictions, had him getting more than $5 million annually over three years. A weird lack of chatter around him.

15. Ryan Murray. Plenty of worse defenseman signed immediately. Murray wasn’t great in New Jersey last season but had value at the end of his time with Columbus. If he stays healthy, he’s a decent option. A legitimate guy to have in your defensive lineup. Russo floated him as an option for the Wild.

16. Brandon Saad. We talked about him at the start of the day. He’s a tried-and-true middle-six scoring option who’s still only 28. Avs GM Joe Sakic confirmed that Saad isn’t going to return to Colorado.

17. Kyle Palmieri. We’ll lump him in with No. 20 Zach Parise and No. 27 Casey Cizikas — all three are almost certainly going to end up with the Islanders. Lou Lamoriello continues to operate in a cone of silence.

33. Mark Pysyk. Should be a solid, cheap third-pair option. He still seems capable of throwing up solid defensive metrics

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I think we're done. We have no cap space left other than Weber's LTIR but still need to sign KK and Lehks

Agree.  With signings a least.  I think we might well make a trade or two still. 

21 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Merrill Minnesota 

Thank God. best news I heard all day. 

4 hours ago, habsisme said:

I think we're done. We have no cap space left other than Weber's LTIR but still need to sign KK and Lehks

Surprisingly,  Mathieu Perreault signed. Now have an abundance of forwards. Definitely a trade on the horizon.   Blockbuster?!?  For a high end D?  I don't care.. LH or RH.

7 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Surprisingly,  Mathieu Perreault signed. Now have an abundance of forwards. Definitely a trade on the horizon.   Blockbuster?!?  For a high end D?  I don't care.. LH or RH.

or eichel! lol but its gonna be hard, our biggest stregth is where there is the least value (wing). Trading a winger as a centerpeice for a center or D is not an easy task

8 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Surprisingly,  Mathieu Perreault signed. Now have an abundance of forwards. Definitely a trade on the horizon.   Blockbuster?!? 

Whomever doesn’t make the NHL team gets sent to Laval . 

5 minutes ago, electron58 said:

It almost has to happen at this point. We have way too many veteran forwards. I don't think they'll trade Suzuki, Caufield, or Toffoli. Gallagher has the NMC. They just re-signed Armia and they just added Paquette and Perreault. I think those last three are almost certainly penciled in as the 4th line. Evans is a center and likely doesn't have a ton of trade value.

So by process of elimination, guys they could be considering trading would be Kotkaniemi (but only if a young, better center is coming back a la Eichel; you can't trade one of your few centers for a D man), Anderson (less likely given they just got him but not impossible), Lehkonen, Byron, or Drouin. Could be more than one of those guys. Of those three...

- Byron has very little trade value, so he'd essentially be a salary dump akin to what Arizona has been accepting and we'd likely have to toss in a pick. But a team like Seattle might be persuaded.

- Lehkonen has value but he's not bringing back a 2nd line center or top 3 D man. He could be traded to free up a roster spot (to bring back a prospect or pick) or he could be traded as part of a package. He's not signed yet and we're running low on cap space right now.

- Drouin seems like the most obvious player to leave. Bigger salary, better potential, needs a fresh start. Lots of interest in him apparently. And the Habs have loaded up at left wing and loaded up on French Quebecers, so it allows MB to deal him with those voids taken care of beforehand. Again, it could be Drouin straight up for a D man or it could be Drouin + Kotkaniemi + whatever else to get Eichel or someone like that.

I don't think signings like Paquette and Perreault are any indication of a trade. It is just MB signing a few fourth line French players so the team can have some French players when the season opens. If anything, we'll probably just find ourselves in a position where our younger players are benched or scratched in favor of some grindy-gritty fourth liner because that's just how we've been doing it as an organization for as long as I can remember. Get ready to see Kotkaniemi in the press-box while Cedric Paquette takes some shifts with Nick Suzuki. :rolleyes: Get ready for a steady stream of Savard, Chiarot, Wideman, and Edmundson while Romanov struggles to get ice time.

10 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't think signings like Paquette and Perreault are any indication of a trade. It is just MB signing a few fourth line French players so the team can have some French players when the season opens. If anything, we'll probably just find ourselves in a position where our younger players are benched or scratched in favor of some grindy-gritty fourth liner because that's just how we've been doing it as an organization for as long as I can remember. Get ready to see Kotkaniemi in the press-box while Cedric Paquette takes some shifts with Nick Suzuki. :rolleyes: Get ready for a steady stream of Savard, Chiarot, Wideman, and Edmundson while Romanov struggles to get ice time.

23 roster spots. Can't send Kotkaniemi or Evans down to the minors any more this year. So let's count:

- Suzuki, Caufield, Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Hoffman, Evans, Byron, Lehkonen, Armia, Paquette, Drouin, Perreault (14)

- Chiarot, Edmundson, Petry, Romanov, Kulak, Wideman, Savard (7)

- Price, Allen (2)

So that's 23. It assumes Poehling and Ylonen go back to Laval and that Vejdemo ends up on waivers. With this group, Habs are at the cap but have the 7.8M of LTIR relief from Weber's contract to be able to deal with in order to sign Kotkaniemi and Lehkonen. So maybe we have 2-3M left over and we kind of still need to upgrade the defence. MB's also still looking to bring in a veteran center. I said before free agency that I expected him to tinker with the 4th line, tinker with his journeymen D, and bring in at least a couple of Quebecers. I saw potential targets as Perreault, Savard, and a 3rd/4th line depth center like Haula/Sutter/Cizikas. He's done all that, albeit he went with Paquette. But past that, I also said he might target a middle 6 LW like Saad (he went with Hoffman instead) and then try to use a trade to land a PMD unless he could get Hamilton (which he didn't). So far, MB has done all the tinkering. But his center depth is worse than last year and I just don't think he's comfortable going with Suzuki-JK-Evans as his top 3. He's proven he doesn't put a lot of trust in going with so many youngsters and at his press conference, he said as much (that JK as the 2C would be something he may be stuck with but that he would keep looking for an alternative). In other words, it didn't sound like JK was his Plan A. Even if he brings in a Bozak or a Stepan, then that's still yet another roster spot used and more salary cap hit. If he brings in a PMD (which he hasn't addressed yet) that's more of the same.

I just feel like he's not done, that he's working the trade market, and that he feels his roster is good enough that he'll move more chips into the pile this year to improve it, especially with Carey getting older. And if he's adding still, something else has to go. I don't think he's going into the season with 10 top 9 forwards and with too many top 9 wingers but not enough skill on D and not enough experience at center. There have also been rumors he actually made Buffalo a formal trade offer for Eichel, so if he's ready to do that, he's ready to keep pushing it or look at other similar options. Where there's smoke there's fire. I think he's going to keep pushing for Eichel and if he doesn't get Eichel, I think he'll be moving to add a different skill center or a PMD. And I really don't think the organization is willing to be patient with Kotkaniemi. I think they're willing to trade him if they can get someone who's better more immediately.

• H_T_L locked this topic