The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA signings

12 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Does Perreault have a history at center, or has he been on the wing his whole career?

Used to play center but has been a winger in Winnipeg for several years.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Mathew Perrault 

1 yr 

$950,000

signs with your Montreal canadiens 

This is a very good signing, he will be in the lineup on most nights. Watched him play many a game in Winnipeg he is a defensively very sound gritty forward.

25 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

23 roster spots. Can't send Kotkaniemi or Evans down to the minors any more this year. So let's count:

- Suzuki, Caufield, Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Hoffman, Evans, Byron, Lehkonen, Armia, Paquette, Drouin, Perreault (14)

- Chiarot, Edmundson, Petry, Romanov, Kulak, Wideman, Savard (7)

- Price, Allen (2)

So that's 23. It assumes Poehling and Ylonen go back to Laval and that Vejdemo ends up on waivers. With this group, Habs are at the cap but have the 7.8M of LTIR relief from Weber's contract to be able to deal with in order to sign Kotkaniemi and Lehkonen. So maybe we have 2-3M left over and we kind of still need to upgrade the defence. MB's also still looking to bring in a veteran center. I said before free agency that I expected him to tinker with the 4th line, tinker with his journeymen D, and bring in at least a couple of Quebecers. I saw potential targets as Perreault, Savard, and a 3rd/4th line depth center like Haula/Sutter/Cizikas. He's done all that, albeit he went with Paquette. But past that, I also said he might target a middle 6 LW like Saad (he went with Hoffman instead) and then try to use a trade to land a PMD unless he could get Hamilton (which he didn't). So far, MB has done all the tinkering. But his center depth is worse than last year and I just don't think he's comfortable going with Suzuki-JK-Evans as his top 3. He's proven he doesn't put a lot of trust in going with so many youngsters and at his press conference, he said as much (that JK as the 2C would be something he may be stuck with but that he would keep looking for an alternative). In other words, it didn't sound like JK was his Plan A. Even if he brings in a Bozak or a Stepan, then that's still yet another roster spot used and more salary cap hit. If he brings in a PMD (which he hasn't addressed yet) that's more of the same.

I just feel like he's not done, that he's working the trade market, and that he feels his roster is good enough that he'll move more chips into the pile this year to improve it, especially with Carey getting older. And if he's adding still, something else has to go. I don't think he's going into the season with 10 top 9 forwards and with too many top 9 wingers but not enough skill on D and not enough experience at center. There have also been rumors he actually made Buffalo a formal trade offer for Eichel, so if he's ready to do that, he's ready to keep pushing it or look at other similar options. Where there's smoke there's fire. I think he's going to keep pushing for Eichel and if he doesn't get Eichel, I think he'll be moving to add a different skill center or a PMD. And I really don't think the organization is willing to be patient with Kotkaniemi. I think they're willing to trade him if they can get someone who's better more immediately.

One of Byron or Drouin or both imo are certain to be moved in a trade - Byron penned that thank you message to the fans on Monday so that makes me think he is being shopped but didn’t get any waiver interest last year. Drouin for the fresh start may be sold on the low side. Good Centres are still hard to find so I don’t see them giving up on KK yet. 

14 minutes ago, claremont said:

One of Byron or Drouin or both imo are certain to be moved in a trade -  

We shall see . No one wanted Byron oN waivers last yr - and with flat cap don’t see anyone wanting or requiring his services this yr . He could end up in Laval . I don’t see drouin getting traded either 

22 minutes ago, claremont said:

One of Byron or Drouin or both imo are certain to be moved in a trade - Byron penned that thank you message to the fans on Monday so that makes me think he is being shopped but didn’t get any waiver interest last year. Drouin for the fresh start may be sold on the low side. Good Centres are still hard to find so I don’t see them giving up on KK yet. 

Dude.. i just started a drawing of Byron (the TO goal)... maybe i'll finish the one of CC instead... haha

7 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

We shall see . No one wanted Byron oN waivers last yr - and with flat cap don’t see anyone wanting or requiring his services this yr . He could end up in Laval . I don’t see drouin getting traded either 

apparently as many as 12 GMs called about Drouin when they heard he was going to come back this year... 

Just now, maas_art said:

apparently as many as 12 GMs called about Drouin when they heard he was going to come back this year... 

People can say what they want, but Drouin played well for us the past two years. Much more involved, much more consistent effort. If people accept that he's a 2nd line winger who can put up 50-55 points and not an 80-point player, they'd see that he's actually doing a good job. All about expectations. In this case, I think a lot of GM's like what he brings and he's on a reasonable contract. They also know that with his issues, he might benefit from a change of scenery and playing in less of a pressure cooker.

I do think there's a significant market for Drouin. I think he's a more attractive option than the older, more expensive Tarasenko. I could see teams like the Isles, Pens, Stars, Ducks, Canucks, Flames, Sens, Jets, Sharks, Jackets, Hawks, Wings, Devils, etc. all having interest.

8 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Smart move by the Rangers. They clearly haven’t forgotten the Tom Wilson incident 

Next game between them should be interesting.  Gotta watch that one.

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

People can say what they want, but Drouin played well for us the past two years. Much more involved, much more consistent effort. If people accept that he's a 2nd line winger who can put up 50-55 points and not an 80-point player, they'd see that he's actually doing a good job. All about expectations. In this case, I think a lot of GM's like what he brings and he's on a reasonable contract. They also know that with his issues, he might benefit from a change of scenery and playing in less of a pressure cooker.

I do think there's a significant market for Drouin. I think he's a more attractive option than the older, more expensive Tarasenko. I could see teams like the Isles, Pens, Stars, Ducks, Canucks, Flames, Sens, Jets, Sharks, Jackets, Hawks, Wings, Devils, etc. all having interest.

Fully agree with first paragraph. 100%. He takes far more heat than he deserves. I think a lot of people feel let down because we expected more, and a lot of people are still mad about how we got’em. A lot of prejudiced perspectives. But I don’t know man, Tarasenko is a heck of a shooter! Heck, before we picked up Michael (Hassel)Hoffman I thought it might be interesting to see a swap of the two, maybe convince St Louis to split the salary difference. Could have been interesting 

17 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Zach werenski signs with Columbus . $9.58 million AAV starts in 2022 . Third highest caP hit among d men 

6 years 

Glad we didn't go after him. 

From SN:

Montreal Canadiens

Notable moves

• Signing David Savard to a four-year deal, $3.5 million AAV (full details)

• Signing Mike Hoffman to a three-year deal, $3.5 million AAV (full details)

• Signing Chris Wideman to a one-year deal, $750,000 AAV (full details)

• Signing Cedric Paquette to a one-year deal, $950,000 AAV (full details)

Savard isn’t a Shea Weber replacement but he’s cut from the same cloth. A bruising defender, capable of killing plays low in the defensive zone and getting in front of pucks, Savard ranked fourth among defencemen in blocked shots per game and 48th in blocked passes in the defensive zone.

Savard struggled early with Tampa Bay last season but found his game and was a valuable contributor in their Cup run. It’s one thing to play well on the third pair of an elite team. Savard will have to do the same in a top-four role for this contract to be worth it for the Montreal Canadiens.

From our Insiders: The volcanic activity of free agency opening can shift the ground underneath a franchise, and Wednesday’s eruption had seismic implications for the Canadiens. Read the full story.

On the total opposite end of the spectrum, Hoffman joins the Canadiens to score goals. A left shot, Hoffman will likely be the trigger-man on the Canadiens powerplay with Weber out of the mix. A speedy winger, Hoffman can create offence with his speed and also from the perimeter in the offensive zone. Last season, 29.4 per cent of Hoffman’s shot attempts were one-timers, the ninth highest percentage among forwards. He scored eight goals on 60 one-timer attempts.

Hoffman is not a well-rounded player -- if he’s scoring, you notice him in a big way. If he’s not scoring, he won’t affect the game in many other areas. That said, Montreal has plenty of forwards capable of playing a complete or straight-up checking game. The Canadiens need goals and Hoffman should provide them.

Wideman, fresh off KHL defenceman of the year honours, will battle for a roster spot. Paquette also joins the Canadiens as a depth, checking centre.

Montreal did its best to address the loss of Weber and its goal-scoring / powerplay issues. Hoffman should live up to his contract in goal-scoring alone while Savard will need to elevate his game against tougher competition. A couple of additional depth pieces and all-in-all, a decent opening day of free agency.

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Zach Werenski signs with Columbus. $9.58 million AAV starts in 2022 . Third highest cap hit among d men 

6 years 

Wow!  I would have given Hamilton that much.

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

From SN:

Montreal Canadiens

Notable moves

• Signing David Savard to a four-year deal, $3.5 million AAV (full details)

• Signing Mike Hoffman to a three-year deal, $3.5 million AAV (full details)

• Signing Chris Wideman to a one-year deal, $750,000 AAV (full details)

• Signing Cedric Paquette to a one-year deal, $950,000 AAV (full details)

Savard isn’t a Shea Weber replacement but he’s cut from the same cloth. A bruising defender, capable of killing plays low in the defensive zone and getting in front of pucks, Savard ranked fourth among defencemen in blocked shots per game and 48th in blocked passes in the defensive zone.

Savard struggled early with Tampa Bay last season but found his game and was a valuable contributor in their Cup run. It’s one thing to play well on the third pair of an elite team. Savard will have to do the same in a top-four role for this contract to be worth it for the Montreal Canadiens.

From our Insiders: The volcanic activity of free agency opening can shift the ground underneath a franchise, and Wednesday’s eruption had seismic implications for the Canadiens. Read the full story.

On the total opposite end of the spectrum, Hoffman joins the Canadiens to score goals. A left shot, Hoffman will likely be the trigger-man on the Canadiens powerplay with Weber out of the mix. A speedy winger, Hoffman can create offence with his speed and also from the perimeter in the offensive zone. Last season, 29.4 per cent of Hoffman’s shot attempts were one-timers, the ninth highest percentage among forwards. He scored eight goals on 60 one-timer attempts.

Hoffman is not a well-rounded player -- if he’s scoring, you notice him in a big way. If he’s not scoring, he won’t affect the game in many other areas. That said, Montreal has plenty of forwards capable of playing a complete or straight-up checking game. The Canadiens need goals and Hoffman should provide them.

Wideman, fresh off KHL defenceman of the year honours, will battle for a roster spot. Paquette also joins the Canadiens as a depth, checking centre.

Montreal did its best to address the loss of Weber and its goal-scoring / powerplay issues. Hoffman should live up to his contract in goal-scoring alone while Savard will need to elevate his game against tougher competition. A couple of additional depth pieces and all-in-all, a decent opening day of free agency.

and Mathieu Perreault?  one-year deal, $950,000 AAV.

8 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Fully agree with first paragraph. 100%. He takes far more heat than he deserves. I think a lot of people feel let down because we expected more, and a lot of people are still mad about how we got’em. A lot of prejudiced perspectives. But I don’t know man, Tarasenko is a heck of a shooter! Heck, before we picked up Michael (Hassel)Hoffman I thought it might be interesting to see a swap of the two, maybe convince St Louis to split the salary difference. Could have been interesting 

Tarasenko's a skilled player but

- he makes 2M more than Drouin

- he's going to be 30 this year

- he has an NTC

- he hasn't played a full season in two years and missed that time because of serious injuries

I think there's interest in him but GM's don't want to overspend. Heck Seattle could have drafted him or drafted and traded him and still no one chose to go that route. All teams wants Stl to retain part of his salary to take him on, whereas they don't need to do that with Drouin. So not meant to be a knock on Tarasenko but there are a few reasons why Drouin would be more attractive to GM's.

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Tarasenko's a skilled player but

- he makes 2M more than Drouin

- he's going to be 30 this year

- he has an NTC

- he hasn't played a full season in two years and missed that time because of serious injuries

I think there's interest in him but GM's don't want to overspend. Heck Seattle could have drafted him or drafted and traded him and still no one chose to go that route. All teams wants Stl to retain part of his salary to take him on, whereas they don't need to do that with Drouin. So not meant to be a knock on Tarasenko but there are a few reasons why Drouin would be more attractive to GM's.

I agree. If they say there were 10-12 teams interested,  then for the best of all parties concerned,  let's package him up,  and get a QUALITY  D. I'd even package him with Byron and a first. Maybe Arizona? Target Chycrun & Dvorak. Up the ante iif necessary,  incl. Kulak +++

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

I agree. If they say there were 10-12 teams interested,  then for the best of all parties concerned,  let's package him up,  and get a QUALITY  D. I'd even package him with Byron and a first. Maybe Arizona? Target Chycrun & Dvorak. Up the ante iif necessary,  incl. Kulak +++

At this point Byron is probably a negative value. He's a good player and would crack most teams' 4th lines but his cap hit is just way too much for what he can bring.  

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

At this point Byron is probably a negative value. He's a good player and would crack most teams' 4th lines but his cap hit is just way too much for what he can bring.  

Agreed, although Arizona will need some bodies,  Plus we need to move salary and bodies.  We fill our center and D needs. Arizona gets an exciting player,  plus Byron & Kulak plus high draft picks.  Win. Win. For both teams.

Krejci announces he is leaving the NHL to play at home in the Czech Republic. He had already said it was Bruins or nothing, but that option off the table and may cause Boston to bit on another center in his place.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Krejci announces he is leaving the NHL to play at home in the Czech Republic. He had already said it was Bruins or nothing, but that option off the table and may cause Boston to bit on another center in his place.

They're going to feel that loss... good. 

• H_T_L locked this topic