The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA signings

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think he might. If guys like Ovechkin or Krejci hit the open market (I dont think they will but if they did) I think he'd try.

Im actually fairly worried about what he does this season. There's a great potential to make us a better team but i worry he might go the other way. 

Agreed on this.

The dream off-season is to sign Hamilton. At that point, it means that whoever else they're targeting on the right side is getting a seat on the 3rd pairing. We've been rumored to be looking at Savard or Julius Honka, repatriating Chris Wideman from the KHL, and exploring the option of Tony DeAngelo. Now I don't want DeAngelo here at all but if we're talking about those other guys, they'd be 3rd pairing players. To sign two of them and call it a day would be a disaster and I'm sure we'd run Petry into the ground with the way Ducharme deploys defencemen. Again, the dream would be to sign Hamilton, retain Petry and trade for a younger player like Conor Timmins to fill out the right side. I actually think Colorado could be a great fit for a trade. We know the two teams scouted each other heavily about a year ago, and there were rumors of the Avs looking at Lehkonen, Drouin, or maybe even Price. With Landeskog and Saad rumored to be on the move, the Avs are in dire need of top 6 wingers and we know Mckinnon and Drouin played together in junior and had success. We also know the Habs and Drouin would benefit from his getting a change of scenery. So it almost seems like a perfect fit there. I'd find out of Colorado would be interested in Drouin to fill their top 6 void. Maybe throw in a 2nd round pick (which Colorado doesn't have next year) and try to pry Timmins and another asset from them... we have a hole at the 3C spot so a player like Tyson Jost or JT Compher could be a fit there.

I'd also like to address the left. Here, we have Kulak and Chiarot on expiring contracts and we're not sure when the next wave will be ready. I'd love to trade for a player like Vince Dunn and maybe flip them Chiarot in the process. It actually looks like Francis loves defensive-minded players, so maybe he'd be up for that. It also gives him the cap flexibility of having an expiring contract. Alternatively, could look at a younger guy like Pierre-Olivier Joseph from the Pens.

Up front, I'd be keen to go after Brandon Saad, a guy Bergevin knows already and who can still be productive. As I said before, he could be a guy you give the exact same contract you gave Toffoli a year ago or maybe a touch higher (4.75-5M AAV for 4 years?). He'd be a good replacement for Tomas Tatar. I'd also be interested in bringing back Joel Armia at the right price.

All that could give me a line-up that looks like this:

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Saad-Jost-Gallagher

Byron-Evans-Lehkonen

[Poehling, Ylonen (or Perry of re-signed)]

Dunn-Hamilton

Edmundson-Petry

Romanov-Timmins

[Kulak]

Price

Allen

You'd be shelling out for Hamilton and Saad a bit, but all of Jost, Poehling, Ylonen, Dunn, and Timmins would be relatively cheap, and you'd have plenty of money coming off the books with Weber, Danault, Tatar, Drouin, and Chiarot all gone. You might even have room to look at another trade (Timo Meier being a 6M man that the Habs have also been linked to, for example). That's pretty close to the best off-season I could hope for, although the chances of MB seeing it this way and those things working out would be extremely close to nil.

21 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed on this.

The dream off-season is to sign Hamilton. At that point, it means that whoever else they're targeting on the right side is getting a seat on the 3rd pairing. We've been rumored to be looking at Savard or Julius Honka, repatriating Chris Wideman from the KHL, and exploring the option of Tony DeAngelo. Now I don't want DeAngelo here at all but if we're talking about those other guys, they'd be 3rd pairing players. To sign two of them and call it a day would be a disaster and I'm sure we'd run Petry into the ground with the way Ducharme deploys defencemen. Again, the dream would be to sign Hamilton, retain Petry and trade for a younger player like Conor Timmins to fill out the right side. I actually think Colorado could be a great fit for a trade. We know the two teams scouted each other heavily about a year ago, and there were rumors of the Avs looking at Lehkonen, Drouin, or maybe even Price. With Landeskog and Saad rumored to be on the move, the Avs are in dire need of top 6 wingers and we know Mckinnon and Drouin played together in junior and had success. We also know the Habs and Drouin would benefit from his getting a change of scenery. So it almost seems like a perfect fit there. I'd find out of Colorado would be interested in Drouin to fill their top 6 void. Maybe throw in a 2nd round pick (which Colorado doesn't have next year) and try to pry Timmins and another asset from them... we have a hole at the 3C spot so a player like Tyson Jost or JT Compher could be a fit there.

I'd also like to address the left. Here, we have Kulak and Chiarot on expiring contracts and we're not sure when the next wave will be ready. I'd love to trade for a player like Vince Dunn and maybe flip them Chiarot in the process. It actually looks like Francis loves defensive-minded players, so maybe he'd be up for that. It also gives him the cap flexibility of having an expiring contract. Alternatively, could look at a younger guy like Pierre-Olivier Joseph from the Pens.

Up front, I'd be keen to go after Brandon Saad, a guy Bergevin knows already and who can still be productive. As I said before, he could be a guy you give the exact same contract you gave Toffoli a year ago or maybe a touch higher (4.75-5M AAV for 4 years?). He'd be a good replacement for Tomas Tatar. I'd also be interested in bringing back Joel Armia at the right price.

All that could give me a line-up that looks like this:

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Saad-Jost-Gallagher

Byron-Evans-Lehkonen

[Poehling, Ylonen (or Perry of re-signed)]

Dunn-Hamilton

Edmundson-Petry

Romanov-Timmins

[Kulak]

Price

Allen

You'd be shelling out for Hamilton and Saad a bit, but all of Jost, Poehling, Ylonen, Dunn, and Timmins would be relatively cheap, and you'd have plenty of money coming off the books with Weber, Danault, Tatar, Drouin, and Chiarot all gone. You might even have room to look at another trade (Timo Meier being a 6M man that the Habs have also been linked to, for example). That's pretty close to the best off-season I could hope for, although the chances of MB seeing it this way and those things working out would be extremely close to nil.

I am not familiar with Jost but the rest looks really good and 100% doable I agree this would be a good offseason. I know you are not a fan of Chiarot due to how he gets used I like him but if he has to go to get us moving in the right direction it makes sense.

44 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I am not familiar with Jost but the rest looks really good and 100% doable I agree this would be a good offseason. I know you are not a fan of Chiarot due to how he gets used I like him but if he has to go to get us moving in the right direction it makes sense.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Chiarot although I admit he played well in the playoffs. I would be fine with him being paid 2.5M a year to be the LHD on the 3rd pairing but all in all this team needs D men who can run the PP and it needs D men who can lead to a better transition game, so we can take advantage of our forwards' speed and scoring off the rush. I just don't see us accomplishing that with all of Edmundson, Chiarot, Romanov, and maybe Savard on the back end or Wideman taking on the Gustafsson role. That isn't enough. Hamilton, Dunn, Timmins... those are guys who could represent a significant improvement on the back end AND make our forward group more potent as well.

Sounds like Chris Wideman is going to be playing in Montreal. 41 points in 59 games in the KHL seems good. But he's never been anywhere near that productive in North America. He managed 17 points in 76 games with Ottawa back in 2016-17. I'm guessing this is more of a one-year depth or 3rd pairing signing.

5 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Sounds like Chris Wideman is going to be playing in Montreal. 41 points in 59 games in the KHL seems good. But he's never been anywhere near that productive in North America. He managed 17 points in 76 games with Ottawa back in 2016-17. I'm guessing this is more of a one-year depth or 3rd pairing signing.

Ohh goodie another Merrill LOL

8 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

From what I read he turned down "more money" at $2m to stay in the KHL so I assume its a pretty minor deal because he wants a shot at coming back to the NHL. Its fine as a depth move but lets hope MB is addressing the bigger holes we have throughout the lineup rather than spending time tinkering... 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

From what I read he turned down "more money" at $2m to stay in the KHL so I assume its a pretty minor deal because he wants a shot at coming back to the NHL. Its fine as a depth move but lets hope MB is addressing the bigger holes we have throughout the lineup rather than spending time tinkering... 

Let's hope. Indeed. :lol:

I'm fine with a Chris Wideman signing as long as we don't sign another bottom-pairing RD. And yup, we really need a Weber replacement on the right side, too. Can Bergevin get it done? Hard to say. It's going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Ohh goodie another Merrill LOL

18 minutes ago, maas_art said:

15 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Let's hope. Indeed. :lol:

I'm fine with a Chris Wideman signing as long as we don't sign another bottom-pairing RD. And yup, we really need a Weber replacement on the right side, too. Can Bergevin get it done? Hard to say. It's going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

I guess Romanov is going to be ridding the pine again this year.:rolleyes:

So Button seems to think a 4 year deal at 16 million would get the job done with Dano. Didn't anybody tell him he supposedly refused 5 last year?? No wonder he can't get a front office job.:rolleyes:

If that's all it took he would already be signed.

23 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

So Button seems to think a 4 year deal at 16 million would get the job done with Dano. Didn't anybody tell him he supposedly refused 5 last year?? No wonder he can't get a front office job.:rolleyes:

If that's all it took he would already be signed.

With Hall (29 yrs old, career .88ppg)  signing for $6m/year for 4 years, $4m a year for Danault (28yrs old, career .50ppg)  is what it should take to get done...  

I appreciate that Danault is a much more defensively responsible player than hall but offense sells in this league.

I wouldnt be surprised if someone else offered him $5.5m-6m +   but i also wouldnt be surprised if he didnt love the deals that are out there & circled back to us at $5m per, 

Veteran agent Don Meehan also confirms same to me, Phil Danault headed to market Wednesday. Which is no surprise, we reported a few weeks ago Habs were comfortable letting Danault see what’s out there. While keeping door open.

Pierre LeBrun

5.5 - 6m for Dano is way over priced, he is a star in his own head.  Can't score if his life depended on it, all this talk of him shutting town oppsoing teams top players went to his head.  This was the result of the lines work not just his.  Keep hearing LA is interested, well they can have him, with the salary he wants compared to what he brings to the table he will be on next years buyout list

10 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

5.5 - 6m for Dano is way over priced, he is a star in his own head.  Can't score if his life depended on it, all this talk of him shutting town oppsoing teams top players went to his head.  This was the result of the lines work not just his.  Keep hearing LA is interested, well they can have him, with the salary he wants compared to what he brings to the table he will be on next years buyout list

I agree. To me his 53 point season was an aberration - a biproduct of a lot of things going right. He's ultimately a 40 point defensive centre. Which is awesome - he'd make every team in the league but should play 3rd line with the occasional bump up to top 6 due to injuries - but nowhere near worth what he's asking for.   Id pay $5m (even though i think its an overpayment) but I wouldnt go higher than that.  There's a legit chance one of Evans or Poehling can take his role comfortably within 2 years. 

So with VAN signing Garland to that ridiculous contract and their tight cap situation now would be the perfect time to slip an offer sheet to Petterson, say 7 mil should about do it.  Doubt Van could match it

13 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

So with VAN signing Garland to that ridiculous contract and their tight cap situation now would be the perfect time to slip an offer sheet to Petterson, say 7 mil should about do it.  Doubt Van could match it

Theoretically they could match it. They can go over the cap up until the season.. so they would match & then have to dump players.

I like your thinking though. I think if you pushed it - say, $8.2 m would be the same 1st, 2nd and 3rd.    If you bumped over $8.3 (to 10) then your compensation includes one more 1st rounder, but vancouver is almost guaranteed not to match.  Pettersson is 22 years old & has like 150 points in 160 nhl games or so... well worth the risk. Money-wise that would be just a couple more million per year than what Danault is looking for... 

You end up with Pettersson - Suzuki - Kotkaniemi - Evans - Poehling as your centres. Wow. You could even trade one for a top pairing defensman.. 

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

He's a good defensive center, but the guy doesn't score goals. His career high is 13 and that's despite getting 1st line minutes with strong wingers. He's not Bergeron, he's not O'Rielly, he's not Jordan Staal. He seems to think he's much better in his own head.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Theoretically they could match it. They can go over the cap up until the season.. so they would match & then have to dump players.

I like your thinking though. I think if you pushed it - say, $8.2 m would be the same 1st, 2nd and 3rd.    If you bumped over $8.3 (to 10) then your compensation includes one more 1st rounder, but vancouver is almost guaranteed not to match.  Pettersson is 22 years old & has like 150 points in 160 nhl games or so... well worth the risk. Money-wise that would be just a couple more million per year than what Danault is looking for... 

You end up with Pettersson - Suzuki - Kotkaniemi - Evans - Poehling as your centres. Wow. You could even trade one for a top pairing defensman.. 

It would be interesting to see Bergevin drop another offer sheet into the NHL world. :lol:

14 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It would be interesting to see Bergevin drop another offer sheet into the NHL world. :lol:

Please no . We've already had the draft day fiasco . 

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

Too late. Received QO.

11 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Too late. Received QO.

That has nothing to do with offer sheets.

Qualifying offers are rarely the final offer, they simply are, as they sound: qualifying.  If you dont submit a QO before July 1 the player goes from RFA to UFA.  So ALL players that are eligible for offer sheets have had qualifying offers.  Unless the player actually signs it (which he wont) he is free to sign the offer sheet.  Obviously he doesnt have to either.  It takes 2 to tango.   It would actually be very interesting to know how many offer sheets have been attempted but not signed by the player in question. 

• H_T_L changed the title to UFA signings
  • H_T_L locked this topic