The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA signings

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It would be interesting to see Bergevin drop another offer sheet into the NHL world. :lol:

I've said it before, but if we see MB submit an offer sheet, I'd like to see it be for a top-pairing D man. I said a couple of years ago that we shouldn't have gone after Aho, we should have gone after Werenski.

The major downsides to an offersheet (other than angering the other team) are that they can delay matching for a few days, which means you can't offersheet a 2nd player with the same picks in play and you can't use that cap space to sign other players. So you kind of miss out on the rest of free agency. Now if you go about your Jul 28th business and don't land who you want, then maybe you go after an RFA a few days down the line.

This year, in terms of RFA's, there are a lot of alluring players. I like Svechnikov in Carolina and we've already upset them before so maybe nothing to lose there, but he's a winger and is that really that valuable to go after with a big contract? Ditto Kaprizov and Tkachuk. There's Pettersson as discussed, and there's Beauvillier that the Habs have had interest in. On D, there's Quinn Hughes, but I'm not sure I would pay big money for him. So the guys that jump out to me more are Rasmus Dahlin, Travis Sanheim, and Connor Timmins.

If you look at the Flyers, they have about 11+M in cap space but they need to sign two goalies and three more D men. So an offersheet to Travis Sanheim of 2 years, 4.1M AAV would only cost you a 2nd round pick but might make it harder for them to work under the cap. I think they'd match given their lack of LHD, but it would make it trickier for them to navigate things.

In Buffalo, they have 27M in cap space but they need to sign three more forwards, 4 D men and 2 goalies. Apparently Ullmark was asking for 5-6M AAV. So in Dahlin's case, I might try to go bigger. Make them commit to a longer-term deal and bet that the player will pan out. I'd offer something in the range of 7.5M x 7 years. Again, I suspect they'll match but the return there is only a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

With Timmins, Colorado has some cap space but wants to win now and likely wants to use that space to spend on guys who will help them immediately. They still have Vezina finalist Grubauer to sign and they have another 6 position roster spots to fill too. They have 19M to work with, but if they spend 5-6M on Grubauer and the reported 7M they've offered Landeskog to stay, that doesn't leave much to work with. I'd offer something like 2.75M x 2 years. Again, it would cost us a 2nd rounder to take him, which is not a lot. I've already discussed trading for Timmins separately, but this would be another way of going after him if we really wanted to.

Is KK eligible for an offer sheet? Piss off too many teams and somebody's going to retaliate IMO. Then there's Nick down the road. That's the reason you don't see too many of them being offered. 

16 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Is KK eligible for an offer sheet? Piss off too many teams and somebody's going to retaliate IMO. Then there's Nick down the road. That's the reason you don't see too many of them being offered. 

Yes.

FWIW, nhl.com account on instagram has a list of free agents and best fantasy matches for that player and it has Montreal as being the ideal fit for Dougie Hamilton. Other than the fact I think he dislikes the spotlight, we've got a competitive team with cap space, a need for RHD, and a need for a PP quarterback. So outside of the city, it's a fit for him.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

For sure.  He'd have to sign it of course, but considering how we've treated him... he might just.  

I could actually see the team letting him go if the return was enough. 

33 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, nhl.com account on instagram has a list of free agents and best fantasy matches for that player and it has Montreal as being the ideal fit for Dougie Hamilton. Other than the fact I think he dislikes the spotlight, we've got a competitive team with cap space, a need for RHD, and a need for a PP quarterback. So outside of the city, it's a fit for him.

Im still holding out hope because of some of the "off ice" rumours Ive heard.  One was that instead of going to some paintball thing with the team (while on a road trip) he decided to go to an art gallery instead. So maybe he's cultured and would really love the idea of living in Montreal, being so close to Quebec city etc etc.

Im pulling at straws.  I REALLY want this guy.  lol. 

RDS report says Habs will sign centre Cédric Paquette and defenceman David Savard on Wednesday, while Phillip Danault is as good as gone.

24 minutes ago, maas_art said:

For sure.  He'd have to sign it of course, but considering how we've treated him... he might just.  

I could actually see the team letting him go if the return was enough. 

Im still holding out hope because of some of the "off ice" rumours Ive heard.  One was that instead of going to some paintball thing with the team (while on a road trip) he decided to go to an art gallery instead. So maybe he's cultured and would really love the idea of living in Montreal, being so close to Quebec city etc etc.

Im pulling at straws.  I REALLY want this guy.  lol. 

If we're pulling straws for connections...

- Hamilton played with Andrew Shaw in junior and I think Shaw liked his time here, so could be an ambassador for us.

- Hamilton played under Claude Julien in Boston, and maybe Claude doesn't like us right now, but I also think he's largely a stand up guy outside of the rink and I think he would give Hamilton a fair view of what it's like to be in Montreal.

19 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

RDS report says Habs will sign centre Cédric Paquette and defenceman David Savard on Wednesday, while Phillip Danault is as good as gone.

Both are decent depth signings. Assuming we dont give them too much money or term i have no issues with either.  I know Paquette has played centre (I think he was playing wing in Carolina?) but wonder what the plan is here: bottom six centre or wing?  We shall see. 

21 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

while Phillip Danault is as good as gone.

Apparently deal already in place with Vegas . Hope he enjoys himself . 

Bergevin has just over $10.6 million in salary-cap space, according to CapFriendly.com. If Weber is put on long-term injured reserve that would free up another $7.857 million.

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

That has nothing to do with offer sheets.

Qualifying offers are rarely the final offer, they simply are, as they sound: qualifying.  If you dont submit a QO before July 1 the player goes from RFA to UFA.  So ALL players that are eligible for offer sheets have had qualifying offers.  Unless the player actually signs it (which he wont) he is free to sign the offer sheet.  Obviously he doesnt have to either.  It takes 2 to tango.   It would actually be very interesting to know how many offer sheets have been attempted but not signed by the player in question. 

I see.  Thanks for the clarity. I guess, once the player accepts arbitration, he ca no longer sign an offer sheet. So, still fair game.

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

I'm still holding out hope because of some of the "off ice"  rumours I've heard.  One was that instead of going to some paintball thing with the team (while on a road trip) he decided to go to an art gallery instead. So maybe he's cultured and would really love the idea of living in Montreal, being so close to Quebec city etc. etc.

I'm pulling at straws.  I REALLY want this guy.  lol. 

For sure!  Me too. It would be the absolute, "best case scenario" for this team. $9mil for 7 years. That slots the D pairings to their proper spots. THEN, this off-season would be considered a success!

Landeskog stays in Colorado for 8 years, 7M AAV, which means they only have 9M left for their starting goalie and other spots. They won't be re-signing Saad and they may need some help against the cap. There's opportunity there and as I mentioned, I don't think they'd be able to match a 2.75M offersheet for Timmins if we chose to go that route and give up a 2nd rounder.

Barrie expected to sign for 3 years in Edmonton, which is fine, but it means Hamilton is really the only PMD of note on the UFA market. Reports are that talks have broken down with Carolina and that he will likely go elsewhere. Friedman and Lebrun both say NJ is the front-runner, largely on account of the term/money they are willing to give him. Reports are that it will take 9-9.5M on a long-term deal to get him. As we've discussed, MB has the room to make this happen and while he doesn't like these big deals, have to wonder what his back-up plan is. Right now, our D corps is looking pretty awful if all he's doing is adding Savard and Wideman.

And though it'll never happen under Bergevin, if NJ does sign Hamilton to 9+M, do they try to move Subban out? Last year of his deal at 9M. Would they consider retaining half? For 4.5M, we could do worse than repatriating Subban for one year to help our right side, and he'd almost certainly be motivated to be back here. As I said, it'll never happen, but MB is running out of options that make sense. Wideman has the feel of being the next Chris Campoli and Savard has the feel of being another Chiarot-type signing, a good depth player but not someone we should be playing as a 20+ minute focal piece on our D corps. He worked in Tampa because he was given a 3rd-pairing role and I can almost certainly tell you now that I likely won't be happy with the term and money he's given. To me, he's worth about 2.5-3.25M for two years. Would be happy to have him at that price as a 3rd-pairing D man, but I don't want to overspend on depth pieces, as MB has had a tendency to do.

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Landeskog stays in Colorado for 8 years, 7M AAV, which means they only have 9M left for their starting goalie and other spots. They won't be re-signing Saad and they may need some help against the cap. There's opportunity there and as I mentioned, I don't think they'd be able to match a 2.75M offersheet for Timmins if we chose to go that route and give up a 2nd rounder.

If we are going to piss off another GM with an offer sheet I wouldn't waste it on Timmons it would be put directly on Petterson.  While I get we need the D man, Petterson is and can be a game changer.  The team lacks offense more than anything

11 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Bergevin has just over $10.6 million in salary-cap space, according to CapFriendly.com. If Weber is put on long-term injured reserve that would free up another $7.857 million.

I suspect Weber goes on LTIR - if he were to outright retire, the cap space would only be $7.3M since we get hit with some recapture penalty if the NHL enforces that front loaded deal he received - Nashville has to be shaking in their skates as they get walloped with massive cap hits for several years to come 

17 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

If we are going to piss off another GM with an offer sheet I wouldn't waste it on Timmons it would be put directly on Petterson.  While I get we need the D man, Petterson is and can be a game changer.  The team lacks offense more than anything

Vancouver with its buyout of Holtby has $26m in cap room - an offer for Petterson is likely to be easily matched 

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

For sure!  Me too. It would be the absolute, "best case scenario" for this team. $9mil for 7 years. That slots the D pairings to their proper spots. THEN, this off-season would be considered a success!

All signs to me point Carolina as resigning Hamilton. They currently have 3 LD one of whom is Jake Gardner who I am surprised they haven’t bought out and admitted their mistake, and one RD. Unbelievable they let Jake bean go as well. Seems to me the Canes need Hamilton very badly. 

2 minutes ago, claremont said:

All signs to me point Carolina as resigning Hamilton. They currently have 3 LD one of whom is Jake Gardner who I am surprised they haven’t bought out and admitted their mistake, and one RD. Unbelievable they let Jake bean go as well. Seems to me the Canes need Hamilton very badly. 

Good, want no part of Hamilton in MTL, still say there are reasons he has been on so many teams at such a young age. 

34 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I don't think Van lets Pettersson go. I do think Colorado will have more trouble matching for a lesser part and not wanting to overpay and ruin their chance at a Cup by cutting their cap space down.

1 minute ago, claremont said:

Sure, but a lot of other teams can also use Hamilton. Now that Jul 28 has come around, Car can't offer 8 years, so has no real advantage over anyone else. This could just come down to money. Maybe Car will get the right to match any other offer, but I think another team could swoop in and outbid them.

To take that a step further, Car only has 12 NHL players signed thus far. 8 forwards, 4 D, no goalies. They have 29M in cap space left. They will for sure be re-signing Svechnikov but Svechnikov has been great for them. He's another guy someone might offersheet if anyone got the courage to do it. Maybe he accepts a bridge deal for 3-4M. If they go 5-8 years, I suspect it'll cost them at least 5-6M a season. They've already announced they want a veteran goalie and are rumored to be in on Raanta. If other guys are getting 3-6M to be starters, I think Raanta will be at least 2M and maybe up to 4.5M to sign. It may not be obvious for them to offer Hamilton 9-10M a year.

• H_T_L changed the title to UFA signings
  • H_T_L locked this topic