The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA signings

4 minutes ago, Mr--Huet said:

Hamilton to NJ?  Uuggh, crap why can't we get the big ones done?

SOBeeatch  - bring back Subban at partial salary retention - at least he donates to the hospital! Savard-Alzner is going to irritate me - Suter seems like a better bargain 

2 minutes ago, claremont said:

SOBeeatch  - bring back Subban at partial salary retention - at least he donates to the hospital! Savard-Alzner is going to irritate me - Suter seems like a better bargain 

Ya both those wouldn't be bad.  At least subban can skate with the puck.  Be nice to know how many players have montreal on their list of places they'd not like to play.

Could have been better, could have been worse. 3.5M was the top of what I would have paid him and if that salary, I wouldn't have done 4 years, so I still dislike the move, but hopefully something we can work around.

2 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Very reasonable signing. I can live with this. Bergy still has some money to shop with.

Same comment I made about the team bringing in Edmundson while already having Chiarot: it's guys who play the exact same role/style of play. They're all guys who clear the net and block shots and hit but they don't generate any breakout or offence, they don't help on the PP, they don't help on the set O-zone play at ES. I dislike pairing these guys together and that means we have one of these guys on 100% of the time. We're going to have a lot of issues moving the puck up ice this year with these three guys all in the line-up. I'd much rather have traded for Dunn or Bean or Timmins or Bear.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Some serious overpayment for crap 4th liners.

Not by us for a change (so far)!

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Savard 3.5M AAV. So same as Chiarot and Ed. Confirmed by Elliotte Friedman.

Thats what I thought, so that I can live with. 

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Could have been better, could have been worse. 3.5M was the top of what I would have paid him and if that salary, I wouldn't have done 4 years, so I still dislike the move, but hopefully something we can work around.

Agree.  I think he'll be fine at that price but would have been far better value at $2.5m    Ultimately we have 3 guys (Edmundson, Chiarot & Savar) making top 4 money but one of them is going to have to play on the bottom pairing because there's no way any of them take Weber's place on the depth chart. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Agree.  I think he'll be fine at that price but would have been far better value at $2.5m    Ultimately we have 3 guys (Edmundson, Chiarot & Savar) making top 4 money but one of them is going to have to play on the bottom pairing because there's no way any of them take Weber's place on the depth chart. 

And they're all #4-5 D men. They can't safely play together. So we've essentially decided our goal is to be a team that lets the other squad pound shots at us and we do our best to just block them, hit the opposition, and get lucky trying to re-launch attack on the backs of a handful of faster forwards. It seems like a bad plan. Need a better option on D here.

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

And they're all #4-5 D men. They can't safely play together. So we've essentially decided our goal is to be a team that lets the other squad pound shots at us and we do our best to just block them, hit the opposition, and get lucky trying to re-launch attack on the backs of a handful of faster forwards. It seems like a bad plan. Need a better option on D here.

Agree.  You add a PMD like Hamilton to the mix & you're a world better because you have him and Petry on both of the top pairs.   I just dont see how 3 of the same clone-type player is a good move.   Each is fine, a quality NHL defensman but just more of the same... 

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Paquette 1 yr 950k

Decent - both term and $.

• H_T_L changed the title to UFA signings
  • H_T_L locked this topic