The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA signings

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

It would be funny if we ended up signing him for less than what we purportedly offered before. haha. 

It certainly would be funny. I'm doubtful it happens, but if Danault is coming back to Bergevin, wanting to negotiate... I'm definitely less inclined to provide the same money and term as we put out there earlier in the year.

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It certainly would be funny. I'm doubtful it happens, but if Danault is coming back to Bergevin, wanting to negotiate... I'm definitely less inclined to provide the same money and term as we put out there earlier in the year.

If Bergevin is smart he goes back with the same money but less term. This way Danault can "show" what he can do - maybe a 2 year deal - meanwhile, we use him as a band-aid solution for a couple of season. 

Hardly feels like teams are pressed for cash coming through a pandemic. Lots of money for bad players today. And looking at what Edm, Cgy, and Van have done, not surprising Canada hasn't won a Cup in decades. Could be they're bad decision-makers, could be no one wants to come and pay Canadian taxes, so we all have to overpay. League really needs to put in a measure to standardize effect of taxes.

The longer Danault remains unsigned, the more likely it is he is not getting the contract he thinks he deserves. Could also point to a connection with Vegas and that Vegas is waiting for the Eichel decision before moving on PD.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

6 years 5.9AAV. Costly money for a guy who was carried by his team. Likely not going to be as good in Seattle.

With Grubauer leaving makes you wonder if there's an opportunity in Colorado.  Right now they have Francouz and thats it.   They feel like their window for the cup is opening with one of the best lines in hockey in their prime.... 

I know Carey Price only waived his NTC for the ED but he had to know there was a chance he would get claimed... so, does he consider a move to Colorado if they are a contender?  They have the cap to take him, they have the prospects/young players to entice us (and not hurt their chances at competing now).... its an interesting idea. Doubt it would happen though. 

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Danault to LA. Six years, 5.5M AAV.

Thanks. 

Just now, kinot-2 said:

Dano signs with LA 6 years, didn't catch the cost. 

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

could be no one wants to come and pay Canadian taxes, so we all have to overpay.

I think the taxes are blown out of proportion.  Sure they have an effect, no doubt - and if you are comparing Taxes in Quebec to Texas its a world of difference but Alberta to California? Not so much. 

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

League really needs to put in a measure to standardize effect of taxes.

This would definitely help. Not sure how they would implement it but if there was a way to make real dollars count vs. before taxes it would be ideal.  Like provinces/states with higher taxes get a higher cap... 

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Danault to LA. Six years, 5.5M AAV.

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Good luck Danault. :D Pleasure having him here for many years and I loved watching him munch on that pizza in the playoffs!

Yup. Wish him luck and good for him getting more money than I think he's probably worth.  I dont think this bodes well for LA but you know he's going to be a good player, just not able to live up to that contract imho. 

Just now, maas_art said:

Yup. Wish him luck and good for him getting more money than I think he's probably worth.  I dont think this bodes well for LA but you know he's going to be a good player, just not able to live up to that contract imho. 

I think he'll look good behind Kopitar though. B)

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Good luck Danault. :D Pleasure having him here for many years and I loved watching him munch on that pizza in the playoffs!

agreed...... loved this player but it was time to move on at that price ...good luck Dano ...maybe we'll land Tarasenko now ...I like the Savard signing and Paquette as well for the money ....I hope we keep Perry 

C YA Dano. At that kind of money and term it's a hard pass. Happy to see we dodged that bullet. As for the Savard signing,,, 1 year too long but i suppose that's what it took to get it done. 

Wondering if Tuna is still in MB's crosshairs? He fell out of favour in the playoffs ( maybe still lingering injury issues) but he was a decent producer for us paired up with Gally in the regular season. I wouldn't be upset at a 2 to 3 year deal at 3 mill or under a season. At least we know what he's about. 

Danault also got a signing bonus and 3 years of a full NMC followed by a modified NTC. So he gets more money/term and more control over his contract. Good luck to him, but that's a deal I would never have offered.

• H_T_L changed the title to UFA signings
  • H_T_L locked this topic