The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA signings

So sounds like Evans is penciled in to the 3C spot for now. Is Poehling the 4C then or is there a veteran coming? Most of the good vets are gone... Getzlaf, Bonino, Wennberg, Sutter, Granlund. Who else is left?

13 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Wondering if Tuna is still in MB's crosshairs? He fell out of favour in the playoffs ( maybe still lingering injury issues) but he was a decent producer for us paired up with Gally in the regular season. I wouldn't be upset at a 2 to 3 year deal at 3 mill or under a season. At least we know what he's about. 

MB has always said there are players who get you to the playoffs and those that get you through. I think he sees Tuna as the former but you never know.  I still think that after the mess that was LV. Tuna would probably resign here at a discount..  so it probably all comes down to whether we actually want him back or not. 

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Danault also got a signing bonus and 3 years of a full NMC followed by a modified NTC. So he gets more money/term and more control over his contract. Good luck to him, but that's a deal I would never have offered.

Ya.  Good on him but very glad MB didnt cave & do this deal. I think we might be surprised with how Evans (and maybe Poehling) handle the job next year

MB: we made an offer to Corey Perry, we're waiting to hear back from him. We wish we could give him more but with some players, you need to set limits. We didn't make an offer to Tatar but we're open to looking at him again if he can't find a deal elsewhere.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

So sounds like Evans is penciled in to the 3C spot for now. Is Poehling the 4C then or is there a veteran coming? Most of the good vets are gone... Getzlaf, Bonino, Wennberg, Sutter, Granlund. Who else is left?

The plan may be to try Paquette there but I agree that adding a decent vet on a short deal would be ideal.   Its possible MB still goes the trade route.   

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

MB: we made an offer to Corey Perry, we're waiting to hear back from him. We wish we could give him more but with some players, you need to set limits. We didn't make an offer to Tatar but we're open to looking at him again if he can't find a deal elsewhere.

ouch.

MB: we made an offer to PD that was competitive. He was concerned about playing behind Suzuki and Kotkaniemi. I'm not sure how it's going to be any different for him playing with some of the young centers like Byfield in LA, but obviously LA thinks they see something there that we didn't.

MB: we brought in David Savard to replace Shea Weber and we see ourselves as having the type of D corps that got us to the finals.

(This is bad. This means that he saw his D corps as a strength, which it wasn't and that he wants to replicate it, which he shouldn't, and that he sees Savard as of the same ilk as Weber and his solution to the top 4, which is very very very bad. Also, cannot emphasize how bad this is. He literally plans on going with Ed, Chiarot, and Savard in his top 4 together).

MB: David Savard was the closest thing to Shea Weber on the free agency market.

(not sure what this says about Weber or about Savard. Does it mean he recognizes Weber wasn't that good or that he thinks Savard is more than a #4-5 D man?)

MB: we didn't specifically try and target francophones, it just happened that there were guys we liked who were French. Also, not our fault that Drouin and Danault were out at the same time, it wasn't done to be a slight to Quebecers.

Bob Mckenzie: things are very quiet on the Eichel front. LA now out after signing Danault. Many teams have dropped out from the price, so Buffalo not left with many options. at present.

MB: we love JK's potential and we all want more faster but he is only 21. I ask myself every day whether he's ready to be the 2nd line center or not. He has a great shot, he goes to the net. Sometimes when he has success, he starts playing East-West instead of going to the net. He's a good kid and he's receptive to feedback but I'd like to see him be more consistent. In a perfect world, I'd like to shelter JK more. That could be done internally. On the trade market, it depends what you need to give up to get a player that helps you, especially with a flat cap. I can't just sign a third-line center and play him too high just to shelter JK. I need to be careful of my money. If I can't find a fit in a trade, then yeah, I'll have to just hope that JK can get the job done and take the next step.

My own take on this... if you can't get an Eichel or upgrade center, insulate your young centers with better wingers. JK isn't having success playing with Lehkonen and he isn't getting a ton of smarts from an Anderson or Drouin to carry him. Another reason to go after a Saad, veteran guy who has won and an still score goals.

MB: we made two moves today to help our team win now, I guess three if you consider Chris Wideman

(I guess that means he doesn't see Wideman as a key element and maybe more of a depth piece/7th D man/ minor leaguer like Ouellet)

So,,,from the looks of it,,, bunch of sideward moves today. The D pretty much stays the same and the forward group will need to depend on a healthy Gally returning to his productive self, along with JD having dealt with his issues, and CC taking up some slack with a full season.

MB: I saw a lot of player signing with players who likely won't make the playoffs. Savard wanted to come somewhere he could be competitive and win.

(Big ballsy statement for a fringe playoff team)

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

MB: I saw a lot of player signing with players who likely won't make the playoffs. Savard wanted to come somewhere he could be competitive and win.

(Big ballsy statement for a fringe playoff team)

He did just win it all Marc, against your team by the way. Interesting logic.

Without adding anyone significant, we're not going to be a better team next season. I really don't think replacing Weber, Tatar, Danault, Perry, and Staal with Savard, Wideman, and Paquette is going to cut it, let's hope MB isn't done.

1 minute ago, ChiLla said:

He did just win it all Marc, against your team by the way. Interesting logic.

Without adding anyone significant, we're not going to be a better team next season. I really don't think replacing Weber, Tatar, Danault, Perry, and Staal with Savard, Wideman, and Paquette is going to cut it, let's hope MB isn't done.

Wideman by his own admission isn't a key component. He's probably more of a replacement for Gustafsson. We've basically added another right-handed Chiarot in Savard and a depth center in Paquette, who is an energy guy but not very skilled. Neither guy makes our special teams that much better, neither guy addresses the need for a better transition game or a better O zone set offence. MB seems to think Savard is a top 4 replacement for Weber, and Weber was already being played above what he was capable of doing. We haven't replaced Tatar unless we're saying Caufield is the guy there, and we're going with Evans in the Danault role apparently. JK also gets more responsibility. I'm all for giving Caufield, JK, Romanov, and Evans bigger roles and giving Poehling, Ylonen, Norlinder, Brook, Primeau a chance. But we're not competing for a Cup from day one with that philosophy. It's not a bad philosophy to take with where we're at, but let's not pretend we're regular cup contenders because we snuck into the finals once.

Someone suggested looking to swing Price to Colorado and honestly, that's the best suggestion I heard all day. If you couldn't find a difference-maker like Hamilton or Eichel, then build around what you have. If we could swap Price for Byram, Jost, and a pick...

• H_T_L changed the title to UFA signings
  • H_T_L locked this topic