The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal doesnt match Hurricanes Offer Sheet to KK

• habsisme changed the title to Hurricanes Offer Sheet Signed By KK
Just now, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Lol wow. I think we have to let him walk. Right? The compensation package isn’t huge,  it we can’t, can’t match that salary. Right?

It just doesn't make sense to keep him at that salary. He's lost any value. IF he becomes the player we hope, he's going to cost an arm and a leg. I think I take the picks and let the hurricanes deal with it

KK perhaps has to be pissed at not starting in the playoffs? 
tit for tat at canes for Habs trying to sign Aho but $6.1m is a big disruption to the Habs salary picture in year 2022-23 as Suzuki comes due - we have room with Weber’s LTIR from what I see

Canes expected finish means that we likely get a late round 1st and 3rd - for me if KK doesn’t want to be here in a strong hockey market then let’s let him go and not match. If he doesn’t perform for the Canes, I see a pay cut for him the following year. 
we will have a hole at center but KK was going to be under pressure to fill that hole so maybe there’s something in a trade for Drouin that we can acquire 

3 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Lol wow. I think we have to let him walk. Right? The compensation package isn’t huge,  it we can’t, can’t match that salary. Right?

I agree, I think that's a lot for what we've seen from him. Would have liked another year to see if he had more to offer.

4 minutes ago, claremont said:

KK perhaps has to be pissed at not starting in the playoffs? 
tit for tat at canes for Habs trying to sign Aho but $6.1m is a big disruption to the Habs salary picture in year 2022-23 as Suzuki comes due - we have room with Weber’s LTIR from what I see

Canes expected finish means that we likely get a late round 1st and 3rd - for me if KK doesn’t want to be here in a strong hockey market then let’s let him go and not match. If he doesn’t perform for the Canes, I see a pay cut for him the following year. 
we will have a hole at center but KK was going to be under pressure to fill that hole so maybe there’s something in a trade for Drouin that we can acquire 

But if he gets a pay cut it will be as a UFA because in order to keep his rights, they will have to offer his current salary. KK has set himself up nicely. Its too bad he's worth more than a first and a third but his value really plummets with that contract. I mean now that he has that contract, do you think we could trade him for MORE than a first and a third? I don't think so, and that's why I don't think we should keep him. 

ahh could have had Brady Tkachuk but we didn't and KK at 6 million isn't worth a first and a third

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

It just doesn't make sense to keep him at that salary. He's lost any value. IF he becomes the player we hope, he's going to cost an arm and a leg. I think I take the picks and let the hurricanes deal with it

Right? We just can’t put that kind of money into him. With Suzuki and Caufield contracts coming up, we can’t tie ourselves up like this. We must, must call their bluff.

3 minutes ago, olddude said:

I agree, I think that's a lot for what we've seen from him. Would have liked another year to see if he had more to offer.

Me too, but it’s out of our hands now. On the bright side, when’s the last time we’ve had two first round picks in a draft? And in Montreal, in what’s supposed to be a strong draft class. Gotta take the picks and let Carolina be the team that have up a 1st and a 3rd for one overpriced year of a player that may or may not perform well enough to crack their top six

You match the offer. You don't get potential top 6 centers at that age without giving up huge compensation in a trade, and the Canes' picks will not be lottery picks. The compensation here is crap, and JK is worth more than a 1st and a 3rd.

Not fantastic that JK chose to sign the deal, suggests he isn't that attached to the Habs and/or is tired of being undervalued here. This squarely lies on MB for trying to continually devalue his young prospects and for not getting him signed when he could have. Don Waddell clearly holding a grudge here, but now he's paid back MB and MB will have no choice but to match. Bad asset management from our GM. It also means MB will likely have to move another asset to make this work properly. Hopefully it's Chiarot.

18 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

You match the offer. You don't get potential top 6 centers at that age without giving up huge compensation in a trade, and the Canes' picks will not be lottery picks. The compensation here is crap, and JK is worth more than a 1st and a 3rd.

Not fantastic that JK chose to sign the deal, suggests he isn't that attached to the Habs and/or is tired of being undervalued here. This squarely lies on MB for trying to continually devalue his young prospects and for not getting him signed when he could have. Don Waddell clearly holding a grudge here, but now he's paid back MB and MB will have no choice but to match. Bad asset management from our GM. It also means MB will likely have to move another asset to make this work properly. Hopefully it's Chiarot.

If there is better value for KK than we should have already traded him. I don't want him on this team

22 minutes ago, habsisme said:

If there is better value for KK than we should have already traded him. I don't want him on this team

Agreed! bergebin should have traded him when he had the chance. PLD WANTED to be here. Should have made it happen. Now we are losing a "potential" asset, for peanuts. I don't blame KK. Habs continuously treat their rookies (first, second, & third year players) like crap.  KK's revenge. I let him walk. Opens up a spot for Poehling. Expect the same once RoMANov gets his chance. You can't keep him at $6.1mil. Hopefully,  another lesson learned by bergebin. bergebin just got SCHOOLED!

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

We HAVE to let him walk. No sense paying $6.1 mil for potential.  Plus, I'm sure he doesn't want to be here.  Can you really blame him? I don't.  He felt disrespected.  The Habs didn't want to develop him here, I'm sure they'll play him in Carolina. 

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

ahh could have had Brady Tkachuk but we didn't and KK at 6 million isn't worth a first and a third

That draft year is getting worser and worser. They didn't take the BPA. They took a center with potential.  They still don't know what they got, because they didn't play him when they needed to. Now to pay $6.1 mil. for potential?  Not very smart. Take the picks and learn your lesson. Should have offered more for Aho! And, PLD would have looked good here.

Should've, Would've,  Could've. 

And, if we match, we can not trade him!

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Carolina offering a $20 signing bonus - Aho wears #20 for the Canes so that’s a direct insult shot to Bergevin - creative I applaud! 

yes. If there was any doubt on their trolling, check out their official twitter tag line, which is now in Francais. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 5.29.48 PM.png

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Agree. No way you can let him go. If - IF - we had the sort of pipeline at C as we do at LD maybe, but we're already going to be thin WITH JK. Losing him would be disastrous for the next couple of seasons. 

For those who have suggested it, you also cant trade him for Eichel now - he has to stay with the team that signs him for 1 year. So its either Carolina or Montreal.

There is ONE other option though: Apparently (according to LeBrun) Carolina has been trying to trade for JK for several days. So maybe Montreal Circles back & makes a deal... not sure what that would look like though.  Trochet + Suzuki for JK?   No clue.  

I see this as a blessing. Jokes on Carolina. I like KK, but despite where we drafted him, he is not/was not a 3rd overall prospect. He was a mid 1st rounder that we reached on. Now we get a re-do. Carolina’s 1st might turn out to be in the 20-30 range, but it could also be a lotto pick. Having two 1st’s will be very good for us. And we have a couple of big time contacts to worry about in the next couple of years. Our cap can’t afford a $6.1 mill Kotkaneimi, and we can’t let that be the precedent for Suzuki and Caufield 

8 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I see this as a blessing. Jokes on Carolina. I like KK, but despite where we drafted him, he is not/was not a 3rd overall prospect. He was a mid 1st rounder that we reached on. Now we get a re-do. Carolina’s 1st might turn out to be in the 20-30 range, but it could also be a lotto pick. Having two 1st’s will be very good for us. And we have a couple of big time contacts to worry about in the next couple of years. Our cap can’t afford a $6.1 mill Kotkaneimi, and we can’t let that be the precedent for Suzuki and Caufield 

agree 100% to match is to try salvage what was clearly a mistake. Just move on

3 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I’m with you on this one but French executives in my experience, tend to have a lot of emotional pride and an I’ll show you attitude. I’m not sure that MB chalks this up as a business decision and let’s KK walk. $6.1M is an awful high price to pay for IF potential even at the centre position. It sets a high bar for Suzuki next year even though Suzuki should command substantial term. 
KK has not demonstrated consistency- At this point he’s still potential and $6.1m and the associated match or UFA status for the following year if he does rise up is a very large gamble for potential. If you want potential pay $4m more and give up Drouin, a first, third and another prospect etc., for the associated risk that Eichel will recover. 

11 minutes ago, claremont said:

$6.1M is an awful high price to pay for IF potential even at the centre position. It sets a high bar for Suzuki next year even though Suzuki should command substantial term. 

IMHO if we match JK it will have little to no bearing on Suzuki.  Assuming he continues to progress he'll be well about $6m next year anyway and everyone knows this is an offersheet overpayment so.. it is what it is. 

15 minutes ago, claremont said:

I’m with you on this one but French executives in my experience, tend to have a lot of emotional pride and an I’ll show you attitude. I’m not sure that MB chalks this up as a business decision and let’s KK walk. $6.1M is an awful high price to pay for IF potential even at the centre position. It sets a high bar for Suzuki next year even though Suzuki should command substantial term. 
KK has not demonstrated consistency- At this point he’s still potential and $6.1m and the associated match or UFA status for the following year if he does rise up is a very large gamble for potential. If you want potential pay $4m more and give up Drouin, a first, third and another prospect etc., for the associated risk that Eichel will recover. 

I would love Eichel but I don't see how the Sabres would ever trade him to us unless we grossly overypay 

Is Dvorak still available? 

57 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Payback is a female dog. That's why teams don't submit offer sheets. MB stepped right into this one. Another reason he should be canned IMO.

lol......should never have offerred Aho last year 

• maas_art changed the title to Montreal doesnt match Hurricanes Offer Sheet to KK
  • H_T_L locked this topic