The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal doesnt match Hurricanes Offer Sheet to KK

30 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Just read.  5:30pm.

correct

Happy KK Day. #Habs GM Marc Bergevin has until 5:30 p.m. to decide if he's going to match $6.1-million offer sheet for Jesperi Kotkaniemi or get a first-round pick and a third-round pick at next year's draft as compensation #HabsIO

photo by John Mahoney

Here's my (Im sure 100% wrong) idea on what will happen today:

- The Hurricane's offer got MB off his butt and working the phones like mad. He worked out a deal for Christian Dvorak for a 2nd rounder, Jordan Harris (and possibly a salary dump)

- The Habs will match JK's offer sheet.  They have a deal in place with him for a multi year extension (at a much lower cap hit - maybe $4m per) to be announced  January 1st. 

- We will also make the above noted trade.

Opening night top 9 roster:

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin- Kotkaneimi - Anderson
Hoffman - Dvorak - Gallagher

By game 10 we will realize we have more than enough forward depth but really really need another puck moving defensman. :P

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Here's my (Im sure 100% wrong) idea on what will happen today:

- The Hurricane's offer got MB off his butt and working the phones like mad. He worked out a deal for Christian Dvorak for a 2nd rounder, Jordan Harris (and possibly a salary dump)

- The Habs will match JK's offer sheet.  They have a deal in place with him for a multi year extension (at a much lower cap hit - maybe $4m per) to be announced  January 1st. 

- We will also make the above noted trade.

Opening night top 9 roster:

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin- Kotkaneimi - Anderson
Hoffman - Dvorak - Gallagher

By game 10 we will realize we have more than enough forward depth but really really need another puck moving defensman. :P

This is a dream scenario I love it!!! Unfortunately reality will sink us and KK will be lost!  :5155:

23 hours ago, Regis22 said:

There were some back in early July who were close to Jesperi Kotkaniemi predicted that he had played his final game with the Montreal Canadiens after he was made a healthy scratch in the Stanley Cup Final.

A trade had seemed like the most likely scenario but the Carolina Hurricanes went with a more entertaining approach to acquiring him.

Does anyone really care what this guy has to say ?

I did not like drafting JK at # 3 and nothing he has done since then altered my position on that point. However, my view as to his worth to the team did change from neutral to negative when he signed the offer sheet with the #s 15 & 20 added to the contract solely to embarrass his employer he crossed a line with me. He can take his petulant, little boy attitude to Carolina and I won't miss him one iota. If you are old enough to deposit pay cheques you are old enough to show some respect to the people who make them possible.  Besides, we already have a Zamboni at the Bell Centre.

• maas_art changed the title to Montreal doesnt match Hurricanes Offer Sheet to KK

As I said for the whole week, i was 50/50 on what I thought we would - and should - do.

We'll never know all of the details, so for example, maybe Kotkaneimi will give a reasonable 4 year extension to the Canes but not to us - but regardless, I think it was clear the team was losing faith in him.

We're in a bad spot now, but with signings like Hoffman and Savard clearly MB wants us to win now, so I assume he's going to make a few big moves over the next couple of weeks. 

3 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Well, I can honestly say, that I am NOT surprised.  bergebin must have figured that KK did NOT want to be here.

It was the right move regardless of all the Corsi and possessions stuff. Credit Bergevin (again I’m not a fan) for getting this reaction correct imo. This would have been very disruptive to the team and KK. KK would have been booed unmercifully if we had if kept him and he didn’t perform up to $6m of expectations here. Secondly although the team are pros and want team mates do do well, it would have sent the wrong message for some of our players wanting richer pay days in future - Suzuki, Caufield etc. Bergevin prides himself on being in touch with his players (despite failures with Markov, Radulov and a couple of others). 

15 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

I did not like drafting JK at # 3 and nothing he has done since then altered my position on that point. However, my view as to his worth to the team did change from neutral to negative when he signed the offer sheet with the #s 15 & 20 added to the contract solely to embarrass his employer he crossed a line with me. He can take his petulant, little boy attitude to Carolina and I won't miss him one iota. If you are old enough to deposit pay cheques you are old enough to show some respect to the people who make them possible.  Besides, we already have a Zamboni at the Bell Centre.

Yup, no argument there. I did like his first season a lot though, coming from overseas as a teenager and showing a lot of promise. Not much development since then, however, and with everything that went down in the past week and the way he (or his agent, whatever, it's the same thing to me) was okay with being a tool in the nifty little games the Hurricanes seem to be so fond of, quite frankly I don't give a damn about him and his future career.

5 minutes ago, claremont said:

It was the right move regardless of all the Corsi and possessions stuff. Credit Bergevin (again I’m not a fan) for getting this reaction correct imo. This would have been very disruptive to the team and KK. KK would have been booed unmercifully if we had if kept him and he didn’t perform up to $6m of expectations here. Secondly although the team are pros and want team mates do do well, it would have sent the wrong message for some of our players wanting richer pay days in future - Suzuki, Caufield etc. Bergevin prides himself on being in touch with his players (despite failures with Markov, Radulov and a couple of others). 

Yup, it certainly was. I'm sure the storm of negativity he would have faced in Montreal after signing that offer sheet would have been impossible to deal with – for him and the team. It sucks losing him for a (probably) relatively low return but I'm okay with the decision in general. Hopefully MB can still make a move to upgrade but if not, this could be huge for Poehling and his development. Let's please lock up both Suzuki and Caufield early though, and I wouldn't mind going after Necas next summer.

Man, looking at Carolina's official account on Twitter just made me throw up in my mouth. If that's the way teams want to be represented publicly in pro sports nowadays, I honestly think this isn't my thing anymore.

9 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Man, looking at Carolina's official account on Twitter just made me throw up in my mouth. If that's the way teams want to be represented publicly in pro sports nowadays, I honestly think this isn't my thing anymore.

Who can blame them really, they literally just publicly pantsed MB! The moron needs to be fired before he does any more damage to the team.

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

Who can blame them really, they literally just publicly pantsed MB! The moron needs to be fired before he does any more damage to the team.

Who else wants $20? Yeah, classy.

Just now, ChiLla said:

Who else wants $20? Yeah, classy.

They taught MB how an offersheet is supposed to work and the only response MB had was we will not match and runs away with his tail between his legs. He deserves whatever troll Carolina wants to throw at him.

Just now, campabee82 said:

They taught MB how an offersheet is supposed to work and the only response MB had was we will not match and runs away with his tail between his legs. He deserves whatever troll Carolina wants to throw at him.

Nope. I'm fully behind not retaliating and playing those shitty little games on Twitter, kudos to everyone involved for keeping this professional. If the Hurricanes want to be represented this way publicly, which they clearly do, that's fine and their prerogative. I'm happy we didn't take the bait.

• H_T_L locked this topic