Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal doesnt match Hurricanes Offer Sheet to KK


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Maybe he didnt really understand the significance of the $20 or maybe he just thought: Im getting offered $3m from montreal - likely for the next couple of years in a bridge deal - or i can get $6m this year and a min $6m qualifier next year... who cares what silly little add on signing bonus Carolina includes. 

Maybe, but I doubt he negotiates on his own and his agent should certainly be aware of the deeper meaning here. I don't like the optics at all and it's something that can can easily blow up right in your face, especially in a market like Montreal. I'm not blaming KK for taking the guaranteed money, it's a business and that goes both ways, but I don't like how he essentially allowed himself to be used as a tool in that little peeing contest between Waddell and Bergevin. Not sure I can buy that it's an innocent mistake, if he wasn't even aware I'd certainly have a word with my agent. That's assuming he actually wants to stay here of course...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

Trade him. Get a first and a high end D prospect.

For example, a trade centering around Suzuki, Jarvis or Bean, and a first? Maybe Carolina won't go for it,  but they must have offered bergebin something.  We'll need help at center & D. One of those prospects will help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meh, I am not sure what I think of this yet I like KK a lot but he is all over the place with his play and I could see him being a bust over the long haul. he is not worth 6 mil. he may be one day but not right now, the problem is that MB let Dano walk and with KK on the clock here we are short on centers he should have nailed down that part of the lineup! we are stout on the wings but now we look like we could enter the season weak at center a bandaid center won't fix this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KK is an up & coming Star in the League, fact is KK has not proven himself yet too the Habw as per numbers & performance on the ice .

1st. Round & 3rd. Round pick for compensation, Bergevin has 7 days,the clock is ticking .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No yeah I'm from Chicago. Ya watch Toews and Kane if they don't score on a rush control the zone for a good amount of time. KK just to my mind would confuse the defense we got now anyhow. I don't really care and really don't see him going as THE impediment to getting those extra wins we need to go all the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Aho offer sheet was a legitimate hockey offer. He would have solved the Canadiens' problem at 1C. It was business but it would appear the Hurricanes took it personally. 

Of course KK is going to accept the offer. I would challenge anyone to claim they would have turned down someone offering them US$26 million for one year when you were 21 years old. The problem is that in Montreal he would have been penciled in as the second line centre this year, which would have helped his development and raised his value going forward. Carolina is pretty much set at centre so I do not see him being more than a 3th line centre or a top nine winger on that team. At his age that could impact his development and reduce his value in the future. Then again, 26 million dollars.

If I am the Canadiens I let him walk. He is not worth that kind of money at this stage of his career. That salary would totally skew the salary cup structure of the team and make things difficult in the following years. One player is not worth all of that, unless his name is McDavid, or Crosby 12 years ago. Take the draft picks. That will give the Canadiens 12 for next year and maybe a couple of them and one of the surplus wingers can be packaged up for a serviceable and more experienced 2C.

The Hurricanes would then be saddled with that ridiculous contract and they would either have to qualify him next year or let him walk as a free agent. That would be a very bad return on the money they invested in him. As for KK himself he better manage his windfall well because he will not see that kind of money for the next few years and depending on whether he realizes his potential or not he may never see that kind of money again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Since 1986 there have been 33 offer sheets signed by players ...on that list are guys like Scott Stevens ( 2xs) Shanahan ,Michel Goulet , Teemu Selane , Craig Simpson , Joe Sakic , Fedorov , and Weber ...the Carolina franchise has tendered offer sheets 3 times ( Hartford once ) ....the offer sheet route stopped for 8 years between 1998 and 2006 ironically after Carolina offered Fedorov a ridiculously front loaded contract they didn't think or believe Detroit could match , but they did and Fedorov got paid $28 million the next year ( didn't see Detroit retaliate or belittle Carolina because it was accepted practice at the time ) )...St Louis has tendered offer sheets 10 times since 1986 btw ...the second longest stretch without an offer sheet was 2013 -2019 until Montreal offered Aho ( their 1st ever offer sheet ) .This smacks of collusion between the owners ...this offer sheet retaliation was placed on a personal level from Cane management ...the $20 signing bonus was an unnecessary  slap in the face to Montreal and as well served to potentially cut their cap down to make them less relevant in the Atlantic  . It's not that Carolina hasn't been to this BBQ before so I'm amazed at the pettiness they've shown in this process . I wonder too what other GMs think of this ?...maybe the new era of offer sheets is coming ....or will this will be the new retaliatory line drawn in the sand .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Capital Habs Fan said:

Of course KK is going to accept the offer. I would challenge anyone to claim they would have turned down someone offering them US$26 million for one year when you were 21 years old. The problem is that in Montreal he would have been penciled in as the second line centre this year, which would have helped his development and raised his value going forward. Carolina is pretty much set at centre so I do not see him being more than a 3th line centre or a top nine winger on that team. At his age that could impact his development and reduce his value in the future. Then again, 26 million dollars.

 

It is $6 million for 1 yr , the bonus is $20 dollars not $20 million 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, arpem-can said:

 . I wonder too what other GMs think of this ?... 

I wonder what other GM's think of MB drafting Logan Mailloux  when the kid asked everyone NOT to draft him .  MB put in an offer for AHo 2 yrs ago , he knew or should have known that Carolina would match so why bother . It was only a matter of time before a team gets vindictive .  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Capital Habs Fan said:

The Aho offer sheet was a legitimate hockey offer. He would have solved the Canadiens' problem at 1C. It was business but it would appear the Hurricanes took it personally. 

Of course KK is going to accept the offer. I would challenge anyone to claim they would have turned down someone offering them US$26 million for one year when you were 21 years old. The problem is that in Montreal he would have been penciled in as the second line centre this year, which would have helped his development and raised his value going forward. Carolina is pretty much set at centre so I do not see him being more than a 3th line centre or a top nine winger on that team. At his age that could impact his development and reduce his value in the future. Then again, 26 million dollars.

If I am the Canadiens I let him walk. He is not worth that kind of money at this stage of his career. That salary would totally skew the salary cup structure of the team and make things difficult in the following years. One player is not worth all of that, unless his name is McDavid, or Crosby 12 years ago. Take the draft picks. That will give the Canadiens 12 for next year and maybe a couple of them and one of the surplus wingers can be packaged up for a serviceable and more experienced 2C.

The Hurricanes would then be saddled with that ridiculous contract and they would either have to qualify him next year or let him walk as a free agent. That would be a very bad return on the money they invested in him. As for KK himself he better manage his windfall well because he will not see that kind of money for the next few years and depending on whether he realizes his potential or not he may never see that kind of money again. 

yeah the GM of Carolina looks like an amateur to me. He really made thing unprofessional. That's why I walk and let him eat that contract and the loss of those picks. 

And while I would have done what KK did in terms of signing the contract, I wouldn't have agreed to a $20 signing bonus. He can't play on this team anymore, I know I would boo him and I'm a season ticket holder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

 Since 1986 there have been 33 offer sheets signed by players ...on that list are guys like Scott Stevens ( 2xs) Shanahan ,Michel Goulet , Teemu Selane , Craig Simpson , Joe Sakic , Fedorov , and Weber ...the Carolina franchise has tendered offer sheets 3 times ( Hartford once ) ....the offer sheet route stopped for 8 years between 1998 and 2006 ironically after Carolina offered Fedorov a ridiculously front loaded contract they didn't think or believe Detroit could match , but they did and Fedorov got paid $28 million the next year ( didn't see Detroit retaliate or belittle Carolina because it was accepted practice at the time ) )...St Louis has tendered offer sheets 10 times since 1986 btw ...the second longest stretch without an offer sheet was 2013 -2019 until Montreal offered Aho ( their 1st ever offer sheet ) .This smacks of collusion between the owners ...this offer sheet retaliation was placed on a personal level from Cane management ...the $20 signing bonus was an unnecessary  slap in the face to Montreal and as well served to potentially cut their cap down to make them less relevant in the Atlantic  . It's not that Carolina hasn't been to this BBQ before so I'm amazed at the pettiness they've shown in this process . I wonder too what other GMs think of this ?...maybe the new era of offer sheets is coming ....or will this will be the new retaliatory line drawn in the sand .

agreed, I wouldn't match and I would complain to the league. Completely unprofessional 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If MB lets JK walk at 6.1 M he improves our team 's future while diminishing Carolina's. This contract will make JK our second highest paid forward and Carolina's third highest paid player.......all for five goals last season. and 31 goals in 200 NHL games. I guess 6.1 M doesn't buy much these days particularly in Carolina. 

MB should have the last laugh in this fiasco by letting Carolina pay their 3rd or 4th line centre 6.1 M this year and then being forced to resign him at 6.1+ the following season or lose him to free agency.

JK should savour this windfall, brought about by a teenage move by Waddell. But regardless of where he plays next year he will have to play consistently above the level he has demonstrated so far. If he doesn't the fans will certainly let him know and there won't be any fatherly pats on the head nor guys stepping up to fight his battles. You can only play the kid with potential card so long before you have to man up and start earning respect as a real player.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I wonder what other GM's think of MB drafting Logan Mailloux  when the kid asked everyone NOT to draft him .  MB put in an offer for AHo 2 yrs ago , he knew or should have known that Carolina would match so why bother . It was only a matter of time before a team gets vindictive .  

   the general consensus was he was not going to be drafted  in the 1st round  and more likely he would be picked by someone in the 2nd or even 3rd ...Montreal ostensibly had the equivalent of an early 2nd rounder ...I think Logan Mailloux was feeling the weight of the world and was trying to atone for his mistake honestly  ....he needed a second chance ...Montreal gave it to him ...maybe the question is more like not what the other GMs  think of Montreal drafting him and more like when and where would the other GMs have picked him anyway despite what he said ? ...the tendered offer to KK in itself is fine by me ...if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander ...the $20 bonus is schoolyard theatrics and embarrassing to all parties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I wonder what other GM's think of MB drafting Logan Mailloux  when the kid asked everyone NOT to draft him .  MB put in an offer for AHo 2 yrs ago , he knew or should have known that Carolina would match so why bother . It was only a matter of time before a team gets vindictive .  

MB thought that by front loading that offer sheet that the Canes would pass. Huge miscalculation. There's no doubt about this move being retaliation. MB, or whomever might be the next GM, better lock up NS and Romanov before somebody else kicks him in the teeth. When you go out of your way to attempt to hurt another teams bottom line like MB did, it's hard not to blame the other GM for pulling the same crap. As i mentioned earlier,,, the Aho offer fell well short of being serious, just as this one is by the Canes.

If a team wants to steal another team's talent in this fashion then they better be aggressive about it, It has to be something like the Flyers attempt to get Weber from Nashville if it's to be taken serious, or don't bother. That's why this offer sheet crap has failed miserably in the past and will continue to do so going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I wonder what other GM's think of MB drafting Logan Mailloux  when the kid asked everyone NOT to draft him .  MB put in an offer for AHo 2 yrs ago , he knew or should have known that Carolina would match so why bother . It was only a matter of time before a team gets vindictive .  

 I also wonder what the other GMs think of this quote .." We did our research on who this person is , beyond what the perception of him is . there's no doubt that he has made mistakes . we acknowledged that and , more importantly , he recognizes that he made mistakes and knows he knows he's got  to continue to work and grow as a person " ..Don Waddell on the signing of Tony DeAngelo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

   the general consensus was he was not going to be drafted  in the 1st round  and more likely he would be picked by someone in the 2nd or even 3rd ...Montreal ostensibly had the equivalent of an early 2nd rounder ...I think Logan Mailloux was feeling the weight of the world and was trying to atone for his mistake honestly  ....he needed a second chance ...Montreal gave it to him ...maybe the question is more like not what the other GMs  think of Montreal drafting him and more like when and where would the other GMs have picked him anyway despite what he said ? ...the tendered offer to KK in itself is fine by me ...if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander ...the $20 bonus is schoolyard theatrics and embarrassing to all parties.

not just the $20 bonus but everything they pulled on twitter. Announcing it french, tweeting an uno reverse card. If they really want KK at that price they're doing everything right. 

 

32 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

MB thought that by front loading that offer sheet that the Canes would pass. Huge miscalculation. There's no doubt about this move being retaliation. MB, or whomever might be the next GM, better lock up NS and Romanov before somebody else kicks him in the teeth. When you go out of your way to attempt to hurt another teams bottom line like MB did, it's hard not to blame the other GM for pulling the same crap. As i mentioned earlier,,, the Aho offer fell well short of being serious, just as this one is by the Canes.

If a team wants to steal another team's talent in this fashion then they better be aggressive about it, It has to be something like the Flyers attempt to get Weber from Nashville if it's to be taken serious, or don't bother. That's why this offer sheet crap has failed miserably in the past and will continue to do so going forward.

the Aho deal was a fair price for the player... I don't think 6 million for KK makes any sense. This was just retaliation and it makes THEM look stupid not Bergevin who was simply trying to improve his team within the rules

a first and a third for a guy who is likely going to be a highly overpaid 3rd line center (a good 3rd line center but not at that price). I'm happy with that trade, take it and move on. Go after Dvorak or someone else, but even if we add no one, I'm fine with letting KK go for the picks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

It is $6 million for 1 yr , the bonus is $20 dollars not $20 million 

LOL, I misread the number in the story. However, that just proves this is personal for the Hurricanes and it make even less sense for KK.

Next year he will probably not be qualified at $6.1 million and when he goes to free agency he will be lucky to receive half that much. At least if he would have accepted $20 million he would have gone along way to insuring himself against future pay cuts.

He is still not worth that and the medium to long-term problems his salary would have on the salary cap so let him walk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RCAF48 said:

MB should have the last laugh in this fiasco by letting Carolina pay their 3rd or 4th line centre 6.1 M this year and then being forced to resign him at 6.1+ the following season or lose him to free agency.

I'm in agreement ...the only thing that changes that argument is if KK has an overwhelming  break-out year and that's a crap shoot ...it wasn't that long ago that he was sent to Laval to work on his game ...All Hab fans were excited any time he showed even a little progress but really it wasn't consistent enough ..I'm more interested in the 1st and 3rd that Bergevin could use in a trade to get a replacement ...Eichel back on the radar ?...this could work in Montreal's favour in the long run .. Montreal is beating the bushes as we speak. .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, habsisme said:

not just the $20 bonus but everything they pulled on twitter. Announcing it french, tweeting an uno reverse card. If they really want KK at that price they're doing everything right. 

 

the Aho deal was a fair price for the player... I don't think 6 million for KK makes any sense. This was just retaliation and it makes THEM look stupid not Bergevin who was simply trying to improve his team within the rules

a first and a third for a guy who is likely going to be a highly overpaid 3rd line center (a good 3rd line center but not at that price). I'm happy with that trade, take it and move on. Go after Dvorak or someone else, but even if we add no one, I'm fine with letting KK go for the picks

Yes it was a fair deal if the player actually belonged to us. It was a weak attempt if you were serious about stealing him. I doubt any team in the League would have walked away from Aho for that deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

 Montreal is beating the bushes as we speak. .

That would imply that MB has a plan B. His plan B's in the past have always been to get 2 crap players to replace the guy you lose (quantity over quality). Not sure this case would be any different if he walks away from KK. That's why i'd be surprised if he doesn't bite the bullet from the gun he put to his own head and accept.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • maas_art changed the title to Montreal doesnt match Hurricanes Offer Sheet to KK
  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...