The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal doesnt match Hurricanes Offer Sheet to KK

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I think there's a 50/50 chance its not a late pick and I wouldn't make the trade if it was for 6.1 million. Players are only as good as their cap hit. What I mean is its talent per dollar spent. So now you're hoping to develop a guy who might be good enough for his contract... that's just not how it works, there's no real payoff to it anymore. I don't want McDavid if its at 20-25 million a year, I flat out don't want the best player in hockey if he's making twice the salary he's making now. Money changes things and KK is now attached to 6.1 million dollars. There's opportunity cost by matching, its just not worth it anymore

Carolina has been a strong team the past few years despite having bad goaltenders. Their system is great, they're a strong possession team, and they have some top-end talent with Aho, Svechnikov, and so on. I don't think it's 50-50 that they miss the playoffs... if I had a guarantee we were getting a top 10 pick, that's one thing. That's not the case here.

The other thing to consider is that this is a one-year deal with RFA status again after that. We're not locking in a 28 year-old to a 5-year deal at 6.1M here. We're signing a 21 year-old for one year, with the option to sign him longer-term or trade him after that year is up. Will JK be worth 6.1M this year? It's unlikely (albeit still possible). But could he be worth 6.1M in a year if he's given a real chance to be the 2C and plays with better players than Armia, Byron, and Lehkonen. Give him two of Drouin, Hoffman, Anderson, Caufield, or Toffoli and give him PP time on the first wave with a better coaching plan than just "pass it to Weber" and I think he can put up 45-50 points or more. Too many people are giving up on JK before he's had the chance to play the role we think he's capable of. This isn't a guy who's had two seasons of being a 1C and failed, this is a guy who's largely been given 3rd-line wingers and ice time so far in his career.

28 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Carolina has been a strong team the past few years despite having bad goaltenders. Their system is great, they're a strong possession team, and they have some top-end talent with Aho, Svechnikov, and so on. I don't think it's 50-50 that they miss the playoffs... if I had a guarantee we were getting a top 10 pick, that's one thing. That's not the case here.

The other thing to consider is that this is a one-year deal with RFA status again after that. We're not locking in a 28 year-old to a 5-year deal at 6.1M here. We're signing a 21 year-old for one year, with the option to sign him longer-term or trade him after that year is up. Will JK be worth 6.1M this year? It's unlikely (albeit still possible). But could he be worth 6.1M in a year if he's given a real chance to be the 2C and plays with better players than Armia, Byron, and Lehkonen. Give him two of Drouin, Hoffman, Anderson, Caufield, or Toffoli and give him PP time on the first wave with a better coaching plan than just "pass it to Weber" and I think he can put up 45-50 points or more. Too many people are giving up on JK before he's had the chance to play the role we think he's capable of. This isn't a guy who's had two seasons of being a 1C and failed, this is a guy who's largely been given 3rd-line wingers and ice time so far in his career.

See I think that's what it comes down to. I think KK will be at best a second line center ever in his career. I just don't see this player taking the next step. There's nothing about him that makes me think this guy could be a special player. Caufield and Suzuki I see as core players who are obviously special, are minimum top 6 players and could be legit first line talent (and maybe more). KK and even Romanov (who I like a lot) these aren't CORE players, they're peices. I get the impression you think KK could be that type of player, and you could be right, and if the team really thinks there's a significant chance he could be that than I guess you match. Part of the reason I say let him go is because I think KK is never going to be any more than the type of player you can find in free agency but I'll admit he is only 21 and there has to be at least a small chance I'm wrong

22 minutes ago, habsisme said:

See I think that's what it comes down to. I think KK will be at best a second line center ever in his career. I just don't see this player taking the next step. There's nothing about him that makes me think this guy could be a special player. Caufield and Suzuki I see as core players who are obviously special, are minimum top 6 players and could be legit first line talent (and maybe more). KK and even Romanov (who I like a lot) these aren't CORE players, they're peices. I get the impression you think KK could be that type of player, and you could be right, and if the team really thinks there's a significant chance he could be that than I guess you match. Part of the reason I say let him go is because I think KK is never going to be any more than the type of player you can find in free agency but I'll admit he is only 21 and there has to be at least a small chance I'm wrong

I agree, and when folks talk about him and his talent and potential I find myself wondering what that is? I have watched a lot of hockey and played a lot for a lot of years and this kid is ok I just don't see what the big fuss is about? He falls down all the time rarely holds onto the puck in the corners or along the boards is so so at faceoffs an area where I do feel he is improving in and his playmaking is not super elite either! all in all I feel like we picked the wrong player with him, we needed a center so bad he was it. For us now he is toast 6 mil is just too much so we will make a deal for someone because paying him that amount will screw us going forward with Zuke and others.

46 minutes ago, habsisme said:

16 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I agree, and when folks talk about him and his talent and potential I find myself wondering what that is? I have watched a lot of hockey and played a lot for a lot of years and this kid is ok I just don't see what the big fuss is about? He falls down all the time rarely holds onto the puck in the corners or along the boards is so so at faceoffs an area where I do feel he is improving in and his playmaking is not super elite either! all in all I feel like we picked the wrong player with him, we needed a center so bad he was it. For us now he is toast 6 mil is just too much so we will make a deal for someone because paying him that amount will screw us going forward with Zuke and others.

Agreed with both posts. He’s pretty good, but is he “Sebastian Aho” good? Or “Joel Armia” good. Those are very different degrees of good, and I’m thinking he’ll lean closer to “Armia” good when all is said and done.

And anyone who thinks contracts don’t effect the locker room or future negotiations… I don’t know about that. Lehkonen just took a pay cut. Armia stayed about the same. Hoffman just signed for 4.5. Toffoli is also signed for 4.5, and he just led our team in goals. Poehling at .75. Think all these players just shrug off having their noses rubbed in it? Think up and coming (U)FA’s are really going to give this one a free pass just because it was an offer sheet? Lol would you? Your boss gives some trainee a monster raise, it doesn’t matter the circumstances. All that matters is you believe your worth more.

Maybe Domi could be part of the plan to replace Kotkaniemi? Suzuki-Domi-Evans-Poehling/Paquette is probably not ideal but certainly better than nothing. I'd rather not see Drouin at center again, I don't believe it's going to work all of a sudden.

6 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Maybe Domi could be part of the plan to replace Kotkaniemi? Suzuki-Domi-Evans-Poehling/Paquette is probably not ideal but certainly better than nothing. I'd rather not see Drouin at center again, I don't believe it's going to work all of a sudden.

Ugh. A lot of the Plan Bs and Cs are... Uninteresting.

Max Domi back. Jonathan Drouin at center. Not super interesting. I have zero faith Bergevin could turn this situation into a win for the Habs. Difference between Carolina's offer sheet and the one we made to Aho a few years back. We're going to come out losers if we keep him and we're coming out losers if we let him go.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Ugh. A lot of the Plan Bs and Cs are... Uninteresting.

Max Domi back. Jonathan Drouin at center. Not super interesting. I have zero faith Bergevin could turn this situation into a win for the Habs. Difference between Carolina's offer sheet and the one we made to Aho a few years back. We're going to come out losers if we keep him and we're coming out losers if we let him go.

its definitely a lose/lose situation. The bonus is if we don't match, it's a losing situation for the jerks as well

8 hours ago, ChiLla said:

The problem we have is that even if we match & keep JK we're still thin at centre.  I think you can pencil in Suzuki as your #1 and any number of players as your #4 but is Evans really ready for #3?  If we keep him, is JK really ready for #2?  Those are big question marks.

So if MB can manage to turn the 1st and 3rd + a winger or prospect into either an explosive #1 C like Eichel, then things change a little because you can play your top 2 lines more & probably get by with Evans as your #3.  

Alternatively you could get a guy like Domi cheap and probably throw that 1st and 3rd at Arizona to acquire Christian Dvorak - that gives you: 

Suzuki - Dvorak - Domi - Evans/Poehling/Pacquette which is frankly better than we have now (although may not have the long term potential if JK does reach his ceiling).   Any way you slice it, its a tough one.  A month ago i dont think anyone here would have traded JK for Dvorak (which is what this move would amount to) but now, August 31, 2021, would you trade Dvorak at $4.4m for the next 4 years for JK at $6.1 who will have to be qualified at that amount next year as a RFA?    Different scenario for sure. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

The problem we have is that even if we match & keep JK we're still thin at centre.  I think you can pencil in Suzuki as your #1 and any number of players as your #4 but is Evans really ready for #3?  If we keep him, is JK really ready for #2?  Those are big question marks.

So if MB can manage to turn the 1st and 3rd + a winger or prospect into either an explosive #1 C like Eichel, then things change a little because you can play your top 2 lines more & probably get by with Evans as your #3.  

Alternatively you could get a guy like Domi cheap and probably throw that 1st and 3rd at Arizona to acquire Christian Dvorak - that gives you: 

Suzuki - Dvorak - Domi - Evans/Poehling/Pacquette which is frankly better than we have now (although may not have the long term potential if JK does reach his ceiling). 

I don't know, I feel confident that Evans/Poehling/Pacquette can handle the 3rd line duties. I think Evans is more than ready and Poehling too (although I worry about injury with him). But we don't have a second line C but while the situation is better with KK we don't have a second line C in him either. 

I think Dvorak would be a very nice and smart pick up but I THINK I remember hearing somewhere that they were looking for 2 firsts. A bit pricey for me but close enough where I'd definitely be talking. He's locked up and at a good rate too

26 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don't know, I feel confident that Evans/Poehling/Pacquette can handle the 3rd line duties. I think Evans is more than ready and Poehling too (although I worry about injury with him). But we don't have a second line C but while the situation is better with KK we don't have a second line C in him either. 

I think Dvorak would be a very nice and smart pick up but I THINK I remember hearing somewhere that they were looking for 2 firsts. A bit pricey for me but close enough where I'd definitely be talking. He's locked up and at a good rate too

If we let JK go there is one of the first. So maybe you could start to build around that? I do actually think Poehling if giving full opportunity will surprise everyone. He has good size skates well and may be better suited to the wingers and the team as it's being built now. I do think JK should of went to the minors for a year or two. That said he was given plenty of opportunities and this year was going to be break out or accept he's a 3-4 center. I know JK may have had his feelings hurt being benched ect. . He did have to see that the team was absolutely going to be giving him the full opportunity this season by not resigning Danault. So when he signed the offer sheet it is sort of a slap to Montreal that he didn't want to be here, because he was going to be the #2 center with good wingers and good opportunities. It was a great over payment that would be hard to turn down. He does now have to live up to that 6mil. a year though wherever he goes or stays and now that is completely on him! I'm sure we can bring Chucky back for less than 6 and with the wingers now available he actually might do better!

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Suzuki - Dvorak - Domi - Evans/Poehling/Pacquette which is frankly better than we have now (although may not have the long term potential if JK does reach his ceiling).   Any way you slice it, its a tough one.  A month ago i dont think anyone here would have traded JK for Dvorak (which is what this move would amount to) but now, August 31, 2021, would you trade Dvorak at $4.4m for the next 4 years for JK at $6.1 who will have to be qualified at that amount next year as a RFA?    Different scenario for sure. 

So much feels dependent on what Bergevin could possibly do outside of this offer sheet scenario. The offer sheet is obviously driving his discussions around the league, but if he can somehow swing something to acquire us another good center, it would make a world of difference.

The more and more I think about it, I would rather replace Kotkaniemi with someone else. If that means we lose him to the Hurricanes, and then use those picks to help us acquire someone else, I'm good with that. Jesperi signed the offer sheet, he probably wants to go. It's a trash scenario, but it is what it is. He's not worth $6.1 million.

This is really such a case of poor player management. Ugh.:( Maybe one day Bergevin will actually lose his job. Maybe.

KK did not like to be put aside in the playoff and I understand him because he was much better then Stall by the way. 

Now if I am Bergy, I would sign him and try to trade him with probably our next year first pick for Jack Eichel.

Buffalo will get rid of a 10 M contract for a 6.1 M for only one year and they can resign him for less after.

Eichel is a real first draft pick and will hep the Habs for many years in the center.

Or if Bergy can't trade KK to Buffalo there will be many other teams that will give a lot for KK.

But don't give the pleasure to the Caines. And if the Caines still want KK then we can trade KK to them but they will have to pay A LOT.

25 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So much feels dependent on what Bergevin could possibly do outside of this offer sheet scenario. The offer sheet is obviously driving his discussions around the league, but if he can somehow swing something to acquire us another good center, it would make a world of difference.

The more and more I think about it, I would rather replace Kotkaniemi with someone else. If that means we lose him to the Hurricanes, and then use those picks to help us acquire someone else, I'm good with that. Jesperi signed the offer sheet, he probably wants to go. It's a trash scenario, but it is what it is. He's not worth $6.1 million.

This is really such a case of poor player management. Ugh.:( Maybe one day Bergevin will actually lose his job. Maybe.

I'm not sure its player management in this case, though I guess I could be made to change my mind. I mean they played KK mostly, its not like he was always benched but he's a young player. I didn't like them sitting KK at the beginning or the end of the playoffs. They should have played Romanov too. But is it really that eggregious to sit 20 year olds for a few games? You could say you could have signed him sooner but I'm sure KK had the Canes in his ear from the get-go so he knew this was a possibility which would have made it difficult to lock him up before he reached free agency. 

The things that annoy me about MB (overvaluing size on D and veteran players for example) are pretty much par for the course in the NHL. Outside of Toronto (who haven't managed any success) who is really not doing that? What I like about MB that I don't see from most GMs are the trades he's made and the signings he's made. I feel like before MB we were barely in the league, we never did ANYTHING. I can't remember any good trades from before this era, all the big ones were horrible. I HATED the previous GMs. Gainey was okay but the Gomez trade really soured me on him. Gauthier was a disaster. MB in my eyes is by far the best GM we've had since Serge Savard even though I agree with many of the criticisms most people have of him here, I just think many of those criticisms apply to like 90% of GMs (and coaches) in the league 

More I think about this, the more I believe they should match. Always thought that JK was going to turn into a star player. Cannot let this decision he made sour me on that believe. Let’s face it if someone offered you 5 million over two years and then someone else came and offered 12 million, what would you do. Let’s not blame him for the poor decisions MB has made leading up to this. Because it is his wait and see attitude that caused this. Not to mention a very lame offer for Aho. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Its going to be a huge uphill battle for him if we do match. It almost feels like right now its risker to match & *hope* he progresses vs. moving the picks for an asset that is more established (but still young). 

8 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

More I think about this, the more I believe they should match. Always thought that JK was going to turn into a star player. Cannot let this decision he made sour me on that believe. Let’s face it if someone offered you 5 million over two years and then someone else came and offered 12 million, what would you do. Let’s not blame him for the poor decisions MB has made leading up to this. Because it is his wait and see attitude that caused this. Not to mention a very lame offer for Aho. 

I absolutely agree we shouldnt blame Kotkaniemi.  Its not just one contract either. This deal set him up for a while because he either gets qualified next year at $6.1+ or he signs a long term deal at a slightly lower cap.  I guess he could flame out and go UFA but then he would have never got that $6m payday.   Suzuki was asked his thoughts yesterday  basically said the same thing: cant blame him for signing that. 

I am torn on whether we should resign him or let him go - with the latter ONLY being an option for me if we have a deal in place to flip those pics for someone as good or better than JK. Like you, i still hold out hope he will become a Barkov type player but the risk is that that may never happen & if we have the opportunity to flip him right now for a guy like Dvorak, signed at a good cap hit for 4 years... maybe that makes some sense. A bird in the hand & all that... 

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

Im pretty sure you could offer then the 1st and 3rd + one of our many LHD prospects (not named Romanov, Norlinder or Guhle) and get that deal done.  Az looks like they are close to having a fire sale. 

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I'm not sure its player management in this case, though I guess I could be made to change my mind. I mean they played KK mostly, its not like he was always benched but he's a young player. I didn't like them sitting KK at the beginning or the end of the playoffs. They should have played Romanov too. But is it really that eggregious to sit 20 year olds for a few games? You could say you could have signed him sooner but I'm sure KK had the Canes in his ear from the get-go so he knew this was a possibility which would have made it difficult to lock him up before he reached free agency. 

The things that annoy me about MB (overvaluing size on D and veteran players for example) are pretty much par for the course in the NHL. Outside of Toronto (who haven't managed any success) who is really not doing that? What I like about MB that I don't see from most GMs are the trades he's made and the signings he's made. I feel like before MB we were barely in the league, we never did ANYTHING. I can't remember any good trades from before this era, all the big ones were horrible. I HATED the previous GMs. Gainey was okay but the Gomez trade really soured me on him. Gauthier was a disaster. MB in my eyes is by far the best GM we've had since Serge Savard even though I agree with many of the criticisms most people have of him here, I just think many of those criticisms apply to like 90% of GMs (and coaches) in the league 

I think a lot will hinge on what Bergevin does to adjust in getting a centre back with the 1st and 3rd if he let's KK walk ..he's in a vulnerable bargaining position as other GMs well know at this point ...the old boys club might just hypocritically exclude him now as punishment for being a "rogue " GM ( lol )  . I'm hoping he can swing a deal for a more than adequate if not better KK replacement in Dvorak even if it costs 2 firsts . The only deterrent in that is the fact the draft is being held in Montreal next year and it would be bad optics not having a 1st rounder in what is being perceived as a strong draft . It won't matter in the long run though if the team succeeds . It's also a possibility that he could offer a 1st rounder in 2022 and another in 2023 softening the blow somewhat ....I'd make the deal in a heartbeat .

51 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im pretty sure you could offer then the 1st and 3rd + one of our many LHD prospects (not named Romanov, Norlinder or Guhle) and get that deal done.  Az looks like they are close to having a fire sale. 

I think I would make that trade, but I'd like to have the pick lottery protected

41 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I think a lot will hinge on what Bergevin does to adjust in getting a centre back with the 1st and 3rd if he let's KK walk ..he's in a vulnerable bargaining position as other GMs well know at this point ...the old boys club might just hypocritically exclude him now as punishment for being a "rogue " GM ( lol )  . I'm hoping he can swing a deal for a more than adequate if not better KK replacement in Dvorak even if it costs 2 firsts . The only deterrent in that is the fact the draft is being held in Montreal next year and it would be bad optics not having a 1st rounder in what is being perceived as a strong draft . It won't matter in the long run though if the team succeeds . It's also a possibility that he could offer a 1st rounder in 2022 and another in 2023 softening the blow somewhat ....I'd make the deal in a heartbeat .

yeah I don't think I'd give up 2 firsts for Dvorak in the same year, if they were both lottery protected picks, I'd consider moving 2 first for Dvorak and a third or something like that

59 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

The only deterrent in that is the fact the draft is being held in Montreal next year and it would be bad optics not having a 1st rounder in what is being perceived as a strong draft . It won't matter in the long run though if the team succeeds . It's also a possibility that he could offer a 1st rounder in 2022 and another in 2023 softening the blow somewhat ....I'd make the deal in a heartbeat .

Yeah, 1sts are always tricky. I worry about giving them away too far into the future though... like 2 years from now what will this team even look like? 

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

Good points.

I think I'm probably mostly thinking about the playoff benching, which I believe can have an attitude impact on a young hockey player, and having brought him into the NHL perhaps too early. We've gotten ourselves stuck in a predicament where the player might want to leave and he actually has an opportunity to do so at the age of 21. Losing a third overall pick like this is is poor management. If he leaves, I won't be heart-broken, but it would be a lot nicer to have him happy in our organization for the next several years to see what he turns into.

And I would agree that MB does make decent trades. However, I wouldn't agree with your argument that it's okay for MB to overvalue things like grit and size on D because other GMs do it too. Toronto hasn't won anything yet, but that doesn't mean they won't win next year, or the year after. They've been a solid, competitive team for a few years. They haven't translated that into playoff success, but it may come soon.

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

There's no way I'm trading our first rounder for next season unless it's lottery protected. I think we might just have a chance to be in that lottery.

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

There's no way I'm trading our first rounder for next season unless it's lottery protected. I think we might just have a chance to be in that lottery.

I guess depends on what the lottery protection is ...if it's dependent on whether Montreal makes the Conference Final I'd roll that dice right now ...if it's just making the play-offs it would be somewhat dicier ....the Habs will probably not be in the top 12 or so picks next year anyway so unless they get a Caufield gift package it's wait 2 years to further develop a mid 1st rounder ...I go for it regardless ...we need a decent centre now to play with what appears to be a solid winger core .

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-august-31-2021/

Is Kotkaniemi Mad at Montreal?

There are a number of opinions surfacing regarding the offer sheet to Jesperi Kotkaniemi. Norman Flynn of RDS.CA believes the Canadiens must match the Hurricanes offer. If they don’t, the team will be incredibly thin at center. Stu Cowan of The Montreal Gazette wonders if Kotkaniemi has any desire to stay in Montreal . He writes:

The fact Kotkaniemi was willing to play along with the $20 signing bonus — plus a salary of $6,100,015 with 15 his own number — to me underlines how upset he must be after being made a healthy scratch for the last two games of the Stanley Cup final against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

source – ‘Stu Cowan: L’Affaire Kotkaniemi highlights Habs’ dismal draft history’ – Stu Cowan- Montreal Gazette – 08/30/2021

As for potential replacements if Kotkaniemi leaves, the Habs would likely try to trade the first-round pick for a proven player. Among the names that he could target with that pick are Christian Dvorak, Jack Eichel and TVA Sports includes Calgary’s Sean Monahan as a trade option. If Kotkaniemi leaves, there’s also a strong chance the Canadiens consider bringing back Eric Staal via the unrestricted free agent market.

Whether or not Vancouver’s restricted free agent center Elias Pettersson would be a target, that’s not likely as the Canucks will match any offer tendered.

• maas_art changed the title to Montreal doesnt match Hurricanes Offer Sheet to KK
  • H_T_L locked this topic