The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Training Camp - Pre-season

Are there any players you are interested in to assess performance / development?

For me - I want to see Josh Brook vs. Chris Wideman in a battle for RD - seventh spot. Wideman (a 4th rounder who had 2 seasons in the NHL with the Sens), coming off the KHL where not many d-men have successfully migrated the jump back to the NHL vs. Brook who has had ample time to refine his skills in the AHL. If Brook doesn't show anything - there's another 2nd rounder that missed on his probability 35% of making it to the show.

4 hours ago, claremont said:

Are there any players you are interested in to assess performance / development?

For me - I want to see Josh Brook vs. Chris Wideman in a battle for RD - seventh spot. Wideman (a 4th rounder who had 2 seasons in the NHL with the Sens), coming off the KHL where not many d-men have successfully migrated the jump back to the NHL vs. Brook who has had ample time to refine his skills in the AHL. If Brook doesn't show anything - there's another 2nd rounder that missed on his probability 35% of making it to the show.

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with Wideman. I think 3rd RD is his to lose. I hope Brook makes a big jump this year.  For a while we were looking at him as our best defensman prospect - he's fallen back a bit but im still hopeful.

4 hours ago, electron58 said:

Norlinder. Ylonen.

Same.  Norlinder especially.  And Poehling.

On 9/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, electron58 said:

Norlinder. Ylonen.

Same these guys are both very interesting to me and I think they could be part of the next wave for the team. Ylonen can really skate and I like the way he plays he will bring a lot of mobility to our team and we have some big guys to pair him with as he starts out. I think once he gets going he will be good.

On 9/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, electron58 said:

Norlinder. Ylonen.

38 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Same these guys are both very interesting to me and I think they could be part of the next wave for the team. Ylonen can really skate and I like the way he plays he will bring a lot of mobility to our team and we have some big guys to pair him with as he starts out. I think once he gets going he will be good.

- Have said for a couple of years that Ylonen is out most-underrated prospect and a guy who would surprise. He has a skillset that translates well to the NHL, and I think he can easily be a middle 6 winger capable of 20-25 goals.

- Also agreed on Norlinder. He's the player with the highest ceiling among D prospects. I get that scouts love Guhle and see him as being a potential Shea Weber/Scott Stevens type leader and tough-to-play-against defender and I get that Harris is a smart and mature player whom many think will be an NHLer with a chance at being a top 4 player. But it's much harder to find a guy who can skate and control the puck the way Norlinder does. He has the potential to end up in the conversation with the likes of Karlsson, Niedermayer, Rafalski, etc. It by no means suggests he will get there, but he's a rare talent who can elevate other players around him and dare I say, provide some excitement to a team that doesn't have a lot of personality and energy at times.

- Past that, the other prospects I'm curious about are Brook (there's an opening there for him and he obviously has some puck skill but he's been too inconsistent), Vejdemo (this is pretty much his last chance to make the Habs and while he's not a favorite, he has to supplant Poehling or Evans, so it's a doable task for him to be on the roster), RHP (he's defied expectations to date, so he could be a guy who maybe not this year but in a year or two creates a spot for himself on the roster), Tuch, Kidney, and Kapanen.

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

- Also agreed on Norlinder. He's the player with the highest ceiling among D prospects. I get that scouts love Guhle and see him as being a potential Shea Weber/Scott Stevens type leader and tough-to-play-against defender and I get that Harris is a smart and mature player whom many think will be an NHLer with a chance at being a top 4 player. But it's much harder to find a guy who can skate and control the puck the way Norlinder does. He has the potential to end up in the conversation with the likes of Karlsson, Niedermayer, Rafalski, etc. It by no means suggests he will get there, but he's a rare talent who can elevate other players around him and dare I say, provide some excitement to a team that doesn't have a lot of personality and energy at times.

While not at camp and only prospect evaluation - I will follow Jayden Struble this year - I believe he has game that can translate to the pro level if properly coached and developed. Jayden's physical skills are top of the class but there's a few question marks on his positional play, patience etc. He at #46 overall - 2019 draft is quite a contrast to Jordan Harris at #71 - 2018 draft, with both playing at Northeastern. I wouldn't dismiss either one of them but the LHD pool is long term strong when you add in Norlinder and Guhle. I just hope Harris signs after his college year or he's a lost prospect. 

What day do the Habs start camp? I know the first pre-season game is the 25th but when does the group get together for the first practice?

Also, guys I think will surprise are Norlinder, Yelonen and Guhle. I think 3C is Poehling's spot to lose. I want Brook to make a push but he is kind of a dark horse IMO.

25 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Pretty much.  Although I think Poehling may be the dark horse for potentially being one of the most important players.  If he can come in & give the team what JK did last year, we should be ok. 

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

What day do the Habs start camp? I know the first pre-season game is the 25th but when does the group get together for the first practice?

Also, guys I think will surprise are Norlinder, Yelonen and Guhle. I think 3C is Poehling's spot to lose. I want Brook to make a push but he is kind of a dark horse IMO.

https://habsprospects.com/camp.html

Barring injury or trade, there just isn't going to be room at wing for a guy like Ylonen to break into the line-up. You count Caufield, Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, Hoffman, Drouin, Lehkonen, and Armia as locks to make the team if they're healthy. That's 8 wingers. At center, Suzuki and Dvorak are locks. Perrreault, Paquette, and Evans all have good odds of sticking. That's already 13 forwards. So the Habs may have one more forward spot for Poehling or Vejdemo or so on, but it's not a given. Evans could be the 3C and Paquette the 4C and the Habs could well ship Poehling back to Laval for one more year (or to start the year and recover from his injury last year). I think Poehling would really have to impress at camp to win a job.

On D is a bit more interesting. Edmundson-Petry is almost guaranteed to be the 1st pair. Chiarot and Savard are guaranteed spots in the top 4 and knowing the Habs and their mismanagement of D pairings, they'll probably be partnered together as the 2nd pairing. Kulak and Romanov likely have the inside track at jobs, but I think there will be room for Wideman, Brook, Norlinder, Ouellet, or even Guhle to come in and win a spot. It's a shaky D corps. Past Petry, there isn't an established top 3 D man on the team. Another failure of Marc Bergevin to address real needs this off-season, as he went after more wingers while getting weaker at center and defence, areas where we needed more help to begin with and areas that are largely more important to team success.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Barring injury or trade, there just isn't going to be room at wing for a guy like Ylonen to break into the line-up. You count Caufield, Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, Hoffman, Drouin, Lehkonen, and Armia as locks to make the team if they're healthy. That's 8 wingers. At center, Suzuki and Dvorak are locks. Perrreault, Paquette, and Evans all have good odds of sticking. That's already 13 forwards. So the Habs may have one more forward spot for Poehling or Vejdemo or so on, but it's not a given. Evans could be the 3C and Paquette the 4C and the Habs could well ship Poehling back to Laval for one more year (or to start the year and recover from his injury last year). I think Poehling would really have to impress at camp to win a job.

On D is a bit more interesting. Edmundson-Petry is almost guaranteed to be the 1st pair. Chiarot and Savard are guaranteed spots in the top 4 and knowing the Habs and their mismanagement of D pairings, they'll probably be partnered together as the 2nd pairing. Kulak and Romanov likely have the inside track at jobs, but I think there will be room for Wideman, Brook, Norlinder, Ouellet, or even Guhle to come in and win a spot. It's a shaky D corps. Past Petry, there isn't an established top 3 D man on the team. Another failure of Marc Bergevin to address real needs this off-season, as he went after more wingers while getting weaker at center and defence, areas where we needed more help to begin with and areas that are largely more important to team success.

I actually think Poehling will end up being #3 Center to start and stay there. I also believe it will start out Romanov / Wideman with Romanov having the possibility of moving up as the season goes.

55 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I actually think Poehling will end up being #3 Center to start and stay there. I also believe it will start out Romanov / Wideman with Romanov having the possibility of moving up as the season goes.

I think so too. I think the wingers will be more or less interchangeable (and we might end up losing a guy like Paquette to waivers which sucks for him because i know he was a habs fan).  

I think our centres will look like this:   Suzuki - Dvorak - Poehling - Evans  with both Evans and Poehling having the opportunity to jump up a line if they succeed. 

On defense I think our 2nd pair will be Chiarot - Savard but i think it should be  Romanov - Savard  and Chiarot - Wideman/Kulak.   

The line-up I think Ducharme will go with to start (if healthy):

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

Hoffman-Evans-Gallagher

Perreault-Paquette-Armia

Lehkonen, Vejdemo

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Savard

Romanov-Wideman

Kulak

40 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The line-up I think Ducharme will go with to start (if healthy):

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield

Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson

Hoffman-Evans-Gallagher

Perreault-Paquette-Armia

Lehkonen, Vejdemo

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Savard

Romanov-Wideman

Kulak

The lineup I'd like to see.....

Caufield   Suzuki       Anderson 

Toffoli       Dvorak     Ylonen

Hoffman   Poehling Gallagher

Lehkonen  Evans      Armia

Perreault Paquette 

Edmundson Petry

Romanov     Savard

Kulak            Norlinder

Wideman 

Chiarot & Drouin traded for picks or PMD.

Watched a bit of the rookies play this afternoon. Wasn't really impressed,  as baby Habs were taking penalty after penalty.  The only player,  from what little I watched,  to catch my eye, was Mysak. Winning faceoffs and making nice passes. JM scored the 3rd goal to puts baby Habs up by 1, 3-2, but short lived. Don't know who scored the first 2 goals for baby Habs. Baby Sens won the game 4-3. Looks like Trudeau & Norlinder got the others.

13 hours ago, electron58 said:

Watched a bit of the rookies play this afternoon. Wasn't really impressed,  as baby Habs were taking penalty after penalty.  The only player,  from what little I watched,  to catch my eye, was Mysak. Winning faceoffs and making nice passes. JM scored the 3rd goal to puts baby Habs up by 1, 3-2, but short lived. Don't know who scored the first 2 goals for baby Habs. Baby Sens won the game 4-3. Looks like Trudeau & Norlinder got the others.

Mysak is a very interesting and imo an underrated prospect. One of the youngest players in the draft, he had very little on his resume of work and very short experience on North American rinks. He works hard, is a reasonable skater, has good vision, solid defense and a great shot/pair of mitts. His ceiling isn’t high but could be an effective 3rd liner or spare part. Sure we seem to have a number of those and yawn….but he may turn out to be better than Lehkonen/Byron/Evans/Armia - At his pick level, he was good value. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Mysak is a very interesting and imo an underrated prospect. One of the youngest players in the draft, he had very little on his resume of work and very short experience on North American rinks. He works hard, is a reasonable skater, has good vision, solid defense and a great shot/pair of mitts. His ceiling isn’t high but could be an effective 3rd liner or spare part. Sure we seem to have a number of those and yawn….but he may turn out to be better than Lehkonen/Byron/Evans/Armia - At his pick level, he was good value. 

I agree I like what he brings at this stage will be one to watch as he develops.

3 hours ago, claremont said:

Mysak for me is very underrated even by Habs fans. In 22 OHL games at 17 he had 25 points. Even before that he put up good points. I don't think he will ever be a top line player but a good middle six guy wouldn't surprise me. I see him putting up 40-50 points a year easily.

51 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Looks like Ylonen doesn't want to get vaccinated!  This will definitely hurt his chances of a recall to the big club. Doesn't say he can't, just says he won't. I really don't know what to think about this. Or maybe, I just don't want to say.

Well it's a  privilege to be in the NHL I don't care if he was the next 'one" he can play in the KHL if he can make it there.