The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Training Camp - Pre-season

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

Well it's a  privilege to be in the NHL I don't care if he was the next 'one" he can play in the KHL if he can make it there.

That it is.  It will just be disappointing, as Ylonen does have some upside. Hopefully, it does not become another player loss.

So, looks like Norlinder finished the game with 3 points. On paper, that sounds good, but from the little I watched, he was having trouble with the bigger Sens, and subsequently, took a penalty. I know it's just one game, and all rookies at that, but I strongly believe he'll need to go back to Sweden and develop some strength, work on his D, and dominate. Can't have another KK fiasco.

11 hours ago, electron58 said:

Looks like Ylonen doesn't want to get vaccinated!  This will definitely hurt his chances of a recall to the big club. Doesn't say he can't, just says he won't. I really don't know what to think about this. Or maybe, I just don't want to say.

Will definitely limit his role. Unvaccinated players most likely wont be able to travel across borders so that would limit him to Canada only games.  Also, considering we had 2 separate covid related issues last year (Armia and DD) with the latter coming after he was vaccinated, I could see the team saying "you cant play" unless he gets the jab. 

A shame because i think there was an opportunity there for him. 

21 hours ago, electron58 said:

Looks like Ylonen doesn't want to get vaccinated!  This will definitely hurt his chances of a recall to the big club. Doesn't say he can't, just says he won't. I really don't know what to think about this. Or maybe, I just don't want to say.

He's really the prospect I thought had the best chance of being a real sleeper with top 6-9 potential. It's too bad that he feels that way, hopefully someone can educate him on the merits of vaccination. I don't see how they can keep him on the NHL roster if he forgoes vaccine though. Ryan Poehling is an American and a vocal Republican supporter, which sets him up as being more likely to be against vaccines than a lot of the other players on the team, so it's at least nice to hear that he seems to be vaccinated. The NHL announced they only ave 15 player league-wide who are not vaccinated (I don't know if that means contracts and includes prospects like Ylonen who are not expected to make the NHL team or if it refers strictly to players who played in the NHL already last year) and many teams are fully vaccinated, so there isn't really a reason to risk everything by keeping Ylonen around the others if he chooses not to get the vaccine.

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

Will definitely limit his role. Unvaccinated players most likely wont be able to travel across borders so that would limit him to Canada only games.  Also, considering we had 2 separate covid related issues last year (Armia and DD) with the latter coming after he was vaccinated, I could see the team saying "you cant play" unless he gets the jab. 

A shame because i think there was an opportunity there for him. 

Just some more misfortune to add to bergebin's unexpected off season.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Ryan Poehling is an American and a vocal Republican supporter, which sets him up as being more likely to be against vaccines than a lot of the other players on the team, so it's at least nice to hear that he seems to be vaccinated. 

Speaking of Poehling, on a somewhat unrelated note, He, Evans and Suzuki were hanging out at Petry's place on the weekend.  This could simply be that Poehling & Evans are friends from Laval or whatever but its not insignificant that 3 established NHLers are hanging with a guy who spent all last year in the minors.  I do feel like one of the centre positions is, on paper, his to lose. 

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Speaking of Poehling, on a somewhat unrelated note, He, Evans and Suzuki were hanging out at Petry's place on the weekend.  This could simply be that Poehling & Evans are friends from Laval or whatever but its not insignificant that 3 established NHLers are hanging with a guy who spent all last year in the minors.  I do feel like one of the centre positions is, on paper, his to lose. 

I actually believe he will become a better version of Danualt. I think that managment seen him as the heir to Danualt anyway. Much like they did when Daualt arrived, they felt he could repalce Eller. Poehling will be more offensive, more physically in your face. As for the defensive game I am not sure where he is at with that. People need to know Danualt was 22 going on 23 his first really season in the NHL. He had 51 games between Montreal and Chicago that season and 10 points, prior to that he spent his time in the AHL. I to believe he has a center position to lose. 

Anthony Marcotte reporting that Josh Brook suffered a lower body injury and underwent surgery and could miss several months of action. If true, a huge blow to his career development when there was an opening on the right side of the D.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Anthony Marcotte reporting that Josh Brook suffered a lower body injury and underwent surgery and could miss several months of action. If true, a huge blow to his career development when there was an opening on the right side of the D.

If our D didn't have bad luck, they would have no luck! When's the last time our farm system produced a bona-fide NHL defenceman?

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

This is terrible news, if true.  I cant see Marcotte (who is the only person reporting it so far) being wrong but who knows. 

Assuming he's right that is a big blow. The opportunity was there & I still had hopes for Brook. Lets hope its a speedy process.  

11 hours ago, electron58 said:

If our D didn't have bad luck, they would have no luck! When's the last time our farm system produced a bona-fide NHL defenceman?

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Romanov?

Well Romanov came right over from the KHL, so he didn't really pass through our development system. Cale Fleury played half a season here but isn't a bona fide NHLer yet. Sergachev and Mete both made the NHL right out of junior. So the last D man in my view to become an NHL regular having been drafted by the Habs and having graduated through our AHL team was Nate Beaulieu. Before that, it was PK Subban, albeit Subban played one season in the AHL.

Norman Flynn of RDS (who does some of their prospect and minor league reporting) says Kaiden Guhle is "a lot like Hal Gill but with a bit more offensive flair" and here's hoping he's way off. If Guhle is anything like Hal Gill, we're in trouble. Not sure Gill would be able to keep up in today's NHL and he was certainly no better than a 3rd pairing defensive defenceman.

Watched the rookie games and Guhle often looked better than the other highly touted prospect. Guhle should go back to junior and we could see him in a NHL uniform in two years. Not sure who Flynn was watching but he must be confused because Guhle's skating speed and edgework is above the current average NHL level and I don't think any one said that about Hal Gill.

56 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

Watched the rookie games and Guhle often looked better than the other highly touted prospect. Guhle should go back to junior and we could see him in a NHL uniform in two years. Not sure who Flynn was watching but he must be confused because Guhle's skating speed and edgework is above the current average NHL level and I don't think any one said that about Hal Gill.

Yes - I watched much of that game too - Guhle can skate and wasn’t slow or relying upon a poke check like Gill. That comparison is over the top harsh critical. Guhle jumped into the play with power and just as much or more as Norlinder. I wouldn’t give any credit to Flynn’s observations 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Well Romanov came right over from the KHL, so he didn't really pass through our development system. Cale Fleury played half a season here but isn't a bona fide NHLer yet. Sergachev and Mete both made the NHL right out of junior. So the last D man in my view to become an NHL regular having been drafted by the Habs and having graduated through our AHL team was Nate Beaulieu. Before that, it was PK Subban, albeit Subban played one season in the AHL.

Wow! So long ago. Good research.  A little depressing,  when you think about it.

8 hours ago, claremont said:

Yes - I watched much of that game too - Guhle can skate and wasn’t slow or relying upon a poke check like Gill. That comparison is over the top harsh critical. Guhle jumped into the play with power and just as much or more as Norlinder. I wouldn’t give any credit to Flynn’s observations 

Yeah saw the same here no idea where the Hal Gill thing came from? Guhle is a very good skater has some speed even!

11 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah saw the same here no idea where the Hal Gill thing came from? Guhle is a very good skater has some speed even!

Agree, Positionally, he reminds me much more of Weber.  Not sure if he has the same offensive inclinations but Weber didnt show that in juniors either so who knows.

I think the Gill comparisons come from his frame.  Big, tall and lanky. Otherwise, i dont see much in common tbh. 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2021/9/23/22689471/montreal-canadiens-training-camp-groups-and-lines-carey-price-mike-hoffman-injuries-lines

Montreal Canadiens training camp groups and lines: Carey Price, Mike Hoffman ‘likely’ out for entire camp

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-carey-price-mike-hoffman-physicals-miss-training-camp-1.1697125

Habs' Price, Hoffman fail physicals, likely to miss camp

59 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Weird to use the language "...fail physicals, likely to miss camp." Makes it sound like it was their fault for being injured or something.

Yeah i thought that was odd too.   "Failed physical" made me think of these guys.

7CWChF5S6iVxDWd531Opt1tkGWIE6sHP8Z8qcc8L

Bx5HZx8IYAAH80x?format=jpg