The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Training Camp - Pre-season

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

The Canadiens have cut three players from training camp: Joshua Roy, Xavier Simoneau and Joe Vrbetic.

Considering he was 5th year pick in this year's draft, Roy looked pretty impressive. Wouldnt be surprised to see him excelling this year in Junior. 

Stock up: Jan Mysak... played a good game last night and showcased better skating, which was my major area of concern for him. He'll be going to Laval, but he will have a chance to be the 1C or 2C there and put himself in position for a call-up.

Stock down: RHP... he plays with heart, but he was overmatched last night. There were a few times where he had space and he just got caught in straight-line speed. He isn't big, he isn't physical, he doesn't have a ton of puck skill. So he falls in that Gallagher category. Gally goes to the net, he plays hard, and he doesn't miss his opportunities to score. I was disappointed with RHP's speed last night, and he's going to have to show more if he wants to make the NHL.

Stock down: Jesse Ylonen... he came into camp with an opportunity to establish himself as a strong call-up option and with Hoffman and Byron out, maybe a chance to win a spot on the 3rd line to start the year. Instead, he had the vaccine fiasco and has ended up playing lower down the line-up, where he's done nothing.

Stock up: Chris Wideman... he's clearly no more than a 3rd pairing player, but he played a simple game last night and that's pretty much all he has to do to win a spot on the team. There aren't any right-sided options, so unless the team wants to play someone off-wing, it's looking like Wideman has a spot to lose.

Stock up: Kaiden Guhle... like Wideman, he kept it simple, stayed in position, and moved the puck when he had to. He's building his stock for the future, but he looks mature in his understanding of what he needs to do.

Stock down: Ben Chiarot... with Weber gone, Chiarot has the opportunity to show he can hold his own as a veteran and that he can take a kid under his wing and benefit from a better puck-mover next to him. Norlinder made some mistakes but he also skated well and moved the puck around. Chiarot was actually worse than Norlinder. He turned the puck over a bunch of times in his own zone and generally looked lost on the ice. Not a very veteran-like game from Chiarot, who needs to play well this season to win his next contract.

Stock up: Gabriel Bourque... in my estimation, the best of the veteran tryout category type players. Brought energy, went to the net, played hard. He'll be in the mix for a veteran job in the AHL and the chance at being a call-up to the 4th line at some point.

18 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Stock up: Jan Mysak... played a good game last night and showcased better skating, which was my major area of concern for him. He'll be going to Laval, but he will have a chance to be the 1C or 2C there and put himself in position for a call-up.

Stock down: RHP... he plays with heart, but he was overmatched last night. There were a few times where he had space and he just got caught in straight-line speed. He isn't big, he isn't physical, he doesn't have a ton of puck skill. So he falls in that Gallagher category. Gally goes to the net, he plays hard, and he doesn't miss his opportunities to score. I was disappointed with RHP's speed last night, and he's going to have to show more if he wants to make the NHL.

Stock down: Jesse Ylonen... he came into camp with an opportunity to establish himself as a strong call-up option and with Hoffman and Byron out, maybe a chance to win a spot on the 3rd line to start the year. Instead, he had the vaccine fiasco and has ended up playing lower down the line-up, where he's done nothing.

Stock up: Chris Wideman... he's clearly no more than a 3rd pairing player, but he played a simple game last night and that's pretty much all he has to do to win a spot on the team. There aren't any right-sided options, so unless the team wants to play someone off-wing, it's looking like Wideman has a spot to lose.

Stock up: Kaiden Guhle... like Wideman, he kept it simple, stayed in position, and moved the puck when he had to. He's building his stock for the future, but he looks mature in his understanding of what he needs to do.

Stock down: Ben Chiarot... with Weber gone, Chiarot has the opportunity to show he can hold his own as a veteran and that he can take a kid under his wing and benefit from a better puck-mover next to him. Norlinder made some mistakes but he also skated well and moved the puck around. Chiarot was actually worse than Norlinder. He turned the puck over a bunch of times in his own zone and generally looked lost on the ice. Not a very veteran-like game from Chiarot, who needs to play well this season to win his next contract.

Stock up: Gabriel Bourque... in my estimation, the best of the veteran tryout category type players. Brought energy, went to the net, played hard. He'll be in the mix for a veteran job in the AHL and the chance at being a call-up to the 4th line at some point.

Nice report - pretty much agree with you except for Wideman. I thought he turned the puck over a couple of times and tbh was not overly impressed with his game. Pezzetta surprised me on his skating and hitting as an honorable mention but the clock is ticking on his more than likely remote potential. I hope he can be a valuable contributor or enabler to the Laval crop. 
I thought it was a bush league move by Ritchie to fight Chiarot in a preseason tilt but he answered the bell. Savard - I need to see more of, but he was flat imo. 

19 players were cut today with 4 others earlier in the week we are currently left with 48 players. The lineups look like this:

Toffoli-Suzuki-Gallagher
Drouin-Dvorak-Anderson
Lehkonen-Evans-Armia
Harvey-Pinard-Poehling-Ylonen
Perrault-Mysak-Bourque
Baddock-Vejdemo-Belzile
Pazzetta-Dauphin-Fortin
Beaudin-Dea-Martel

Romanov-Petry
Chiarot-Savard
Kulak-Niku
Guhle-Wideman
Fairbrother-Schueneman
Bison-Xhekaj

Allen
Poulin
Primeau
McNiven

Injured
Edmundson
Caufield
Pacquette
Hoffman
Price
Norlinder
Weber
Byron

Top 4 lines as constructed are as I suspect the lines would be formed IF neither Caufield or Hoffman were ready to go for the start of the season. Top 3 D pairings are as I would suspect the D to be formed if neither Edmundson or Norlinder were ready for the season opener. 

Roster battles if none of the injered returned would be 
4LW\4RW between Ylonen, Harvey-Pinard, Mysak and Perrault
4C between Poehling and Mysak (Mysak is a long shot and likely gets sent to Laval for at least a year)
3LD Guhle, Kulak and Fairbrother (Fairbrother is a long shot)
3RD Niku and Wideman (I believe this is the closest battle)
3G Poulin and McNiven (whoever does not get this spot will backup Primeau in Laval)

*Note all of the above battles change and some become obsolete as players return from injuries. 

Brook: injured

Norlinder: injured

Niku: injured

Ouellet: demoted

Wideman: not looking very good tonight

With Edmundson supposedly set to return soon, we can likely expect Edmundson-Petry to be reunited, Chiarot-Savard to become a thing (sadly) and Kulak-Romanov to be put together again too. So going to ask this: is Wideman still around as the 7th D man? Or is Guhle going to push his way onto the roster? Or will the Habs claim Juulsen? Running out of viable NHL-quality options here.

Not a good night for most of the prospects who played.

Stock down: Ryan Poehling... played another lacklustre game with poor speed and little creativity. Definitely doesn't look like he's seizing the giant opportunity handed to him.

Stock down: Sami Niku... left injured with a probably concussion or head injury. Prior to that, made several terrible pinches and decisions with the puck.

Stock up: Gianna Fairbrother... not making the team, but he played a reasonable game and likely put some chips into his long-term future in the organization.

Stock even: Kaiden Guhle... a reasonably solid but completely unimpressive game from Guhle. He was sound but he did nothing to impress either. No big hits. No big shots. No creative offensive plays. He played it like a #5 defensive defenceman. Did he look like an NHLer? Yup. Did he look like an NHLer who's going to change the course of the team this season or next? Nope.

Stock up: Lukas Vejdemo... I liked his speed, I liked his size. He played really well in the first and then kind of tailed off as the game went on, but with no center options otherwise, I don't know why he's not getting a look down the middle as the possible 4C.

Stock down: Jan Mysak.. almost invisible in this one.

Stock down: RHP... almost invisible as well.

Stock up: Chris Wideman... I don't think he played very well defensively but he put up two points on a night when his competition for a spot wasn't very good.

Stock down: David Savard... for a guy who was supposed to replace Shea Weber and be the anchor on the 2nd pairing, he didn't look like more than a 3rd pairing D man.

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not a good night for most of the prospects who played.

Stock down: Ryan Poehling... played another lacklustre game with poor speed and little creativity. Definitely doesn't look like he's seizing the giant opportunity handed to him.

Stock down: Sami Niku... left injured with a probably concussion or head injury. Prior to that, made several terrible pinches and decisions with the puck.

Stock up: Gianna Fairbrother... not making the team, but he played a reasonable game and likely put some chips into his long-term future in the organization.

Stock even: Kaiden Guhle... a reasonably solid but completely unimpressive game from Guhle. He was sound but he did nothing to impress either. No big hits. No big shots. No creative offensive plays. He played it like a #5 defensive defenceman. Did he look like an NHLer? Yup. Did he look like an NHLer who's going to change the course of the team this season or next? Nope.

Stock up: Lukas Vejdemo... I liked his speed, I liked his size. He played really well in the first and then kind of tailed off as the game went on, but with no center options otherwise, I don't know why he's not getting a look down the middle as the possible 4C.

Stock down: Jan Mysak.. almost invisible in this one.

Stock down: RHP... almost invisible as well.

Stock up: Chris Wideman... I don't think he played very well defensively but he put up two points on a night when his competition for a spot wasn't very good.

Stock down: David Savard... for a guy who was supposed to replace Shea Weber and be the anchor on the 2nd pairing, he didn't look like more than a 3rd pairing D man.

I thought Wideman was the worst D man on the team tonight. Saw 3 or 4 giveaways in the first period alone, was often hemmed in his own end and rarely connected on a pass. Only reason he got an assist was because the forwards jammed in the rebounds before a Sens player touched it.

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

I thought Wideman was the worst D man on the team tonight. Saw 3 or 4 giveaways in the first period alone, was often hemmed in his own end and rarely connected on a pass. Only reason he got an assist was because the forwards jammed in the rebounds before a Sens player touched it.

I agree. As I said, I didn't think he played well defensively at all. But let's look at his competition for a roster spot right now... Norlinder hurt, Brook hurt, Niku was just as bad defensively and then got hurt.

30 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I agree. As I said, I didn't think he played well defensively at all. But let's look at his competition for a roster spot right now... Norlinder hurt, Brook hurt, Niku was just as bad defensively and then got hurt.

Yeah, kind of hoping Niku's injury is not too bad so we can see him in another game hopefully a longer showing lol.

The one play from the D that stood out to me did not result in a goal but was still an excellent breakout play. It was the quick pass out of the zone by Guhle to RHP who then chipped it over to Mysak (I believe) who was stopped by a sliding Murray. That breakout pass was one if the quickest most accurate passes I have seen by a Montreal D in a long time. That is the type of puck movement I would have expected from Norlinder, Romanov or Niku not Guhle.

11 hours ago, campabee82 said:

The one play from the D that stood out to me did not result in a goal but was still an excellent breakout play. It was the quick pass out of the zone by Guhle to RHP who then chipped it over to Mysak (I believe) who was stopped by a sliding Murray. That breakout pass was one if the quickest most accurate passes I have seen by a Montreal D in a long time. That is the type of puck movement I would have expected from Norlinder, Romanov or Niku not Guhle.

I saw that too. sign of things to come from Guhle and shows what we are missing most right now. Not sure why some think of Guhle as a one dimensional stay at home type he is fast and can really pass as well as hit and play good defence.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

I saw that too. sign of things to come from Guhle and shows what we are missing most right now. Not sure why some think of Guhle as a one dimensional stay at home type he is fast and can really pass as well as hit and play good defence.

I would agree that Guhle is a good skater. He also makes a reasonably good first pass out of his own zone. But despite this, he is not a very proficient puck carrier and he doesn't generate a ton of offence in the O zone either. And last night, he ranked worst on the team among D men in expected goals for and 2nd worst (behind his partner David Savard) in Corsi. I think he will undoubtedly be an NHL defenceman. He may be good enough to be a #3. But his top end potential is lower than someone like a Norlinder, who has a higher ceiling but also a lower floor. There is definitely less risk with Guhle than Norlinder, but the Habs' defence is full of players who are low risk, low ceiling. I do believe in the long run that Guhle will be a better asset than Chiarot, Edmundson, Savard, or Kulak, but I don't think he's a guy who can step in this year and change the composition or success rateof the team.

If you look at Guhle's junior data, he was among the best D men in the WHL for D zone exits and passing the puck out of his own zone. But he was among the worst for moving the puck up ice himself and for O zone entries. So in that regard, he's a bit like a Shea Weber in terms of what he can do with the puck. He can move it, but he doesn't move with it, so it becomes easier for the opposition in the NHL to take away his options. If you look at what a lot of scouts used as a comparable for him in terms of top-end potential, it was guys like Colton Parayko, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, or his brother Brendan Guhle. Then you had local Habs reporters calling him a poor man's Shea Weber or a Hal Gill. In any case, I think there's enough there to say he's going to be a solid mid-level defenceman, but we're not talking about a Karlsson, Subban, Hedman, Burns, or even Petry.

I'd be perfectly fine with Guhle making the team this year or next and I think he can bring more than some of the options we have (and has certainly out-performed Norlinder thus far in this camp). But I also think we need to temper expectations and I don't think he's the guy who is going to fill the Habs major void for a PP quarterback and a 2nd guy who can generate offence from the back end after Petry.

34 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I would agree that Guhle is a good skater. He also makes a reasonably good first pass out of his own zone. But despite this, he is not a very proficient puck carrier and he doesn't generate a ton of offence in the O zone either. And last night, he ranked worst on the team among D men in expected goals for and 2nd worst (behind his partner David Savard) in Corsi. I think he will undoubtedly be an NHL defenceman. He may be good enough to be a #3. But his top end potential is lower than someone like a Norlinder, who has a higher ceiling but also a lower floor. There is definitely less risk with Guhle than Norlinder, but the Habs' defence is full of players who are low risk, low ceiling. I do believe in the long run that Guhle will be a better asset than Chiarot, Edmundson, Savard, or Kulak, but I don't think he's a guy who can step in this year and change the composition or success rateof the team.

If you look at Guhle's junior data, he was among the best D men in the WHL for D zone exits and passing the puck out of his own zone. But he was among the worst for moving the puck up ice himself and for O zone entries. So in that regard, he's a bit like a Shea Weber in terms of what he can do with the puck. He can move it, but he doesn't move with it, so it becomes easier for the opposition in the NHL to take away his options. If you look at what a lot of scouts used as a comparable for him in terms of top-end potential, it was guys like Colton Parayko, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, or his brother Brendan Guhle. Then you had local Habs reporters calling him a poor man's Shea Weber or a Hal Gill. In any case, I think there's enough there to say he's going to be a solid mid-level defenceman, but we're not talking about a Karlsson, Subban, Hedman, Burns, or even Petry.

I'd be perfectly fine with Guhle making the team this year or next and I think he can bring more than some of the options we have (and has certainly out-performed Norlinder thus far in this camp). But I also think we need to temper expectations and I don't think he's the guy who is going to fill the Habs major void for a PP quarterback and a 2nd guy who can generate offence from the back end after Petry.

He may not be a good puck carrier but that isn't the same thing as not having top pairing potential. Weber is not a good puck carrier but is still a top pairing D man. Same can be said for Parynko, if Guhle can be half as consistent as either of them defensively than I will be happy. We Have Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris and Fairbrother who can skate the puck from the left side and Mailloux and Brook (maybe) from the right side. We don't have many young top 4 potential defensive D men though.

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

We Have Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris and Fairbrother who can skate the puck from the left side and Mailloux and Brook (maybe) from the right side. 

All prospects , none guaranteed to be NHL regulars 

5 hours ago, campabee82 said:

He may not be a good puck carrier but that isn't the same thing as not having top pairing potential. Weber is not a good puck carrier but is still a top pairing D man. Same can be said for Parynko, if Guhle can be half as consistent as either of them defensively than I will be happy. We Have Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Harris and Fairbrother who can skate the puck from the left side and Mailloux and Brook (maybe) from the right side. We don't have many young top 4 potential defensive D men though.

I think you're talking about a different point than I am. I am not saying Guhle won't be an NHLer, I am not saying he doesn't value or potential, and I am not saying we can't use a player like him. What I am saying is that I do not see him being a difference-maker for the Habs this year and I do not see him addressing the lacune on the defence. It's like the Habs not having a true top line center and then playing Danault there... Danault absolutely had great value, but having him here did not address the need for a true #1 center.

Right now, the left side of the Habs D features two guys with no offensive potential (Edmundson, Chiarot) and two guys who can move the puck a bit better (Kulak, Romanov) but who don't tend to skate the puck that much either. We do not have a single player on the left side who can take the puck and carry it out of the D zone and into the O zone, as we have with Petry on the right or as we had with Subban before that. We don't have a single guy on the left who is a threat to jump into the rush regularly and create odd-man scoring chances. If the other team knows that your D are always going to be looking to pass the puck out of your own zone, then they can just sit back in a trap and cover the forwards and wait to break off passes. It's akin to having an NFL team that can't run the ball, so the opposition defence knows they're always going to throw it. But if you establish the run as an option, then the defence has to respect that possibility and it makes it much harder to defend. The Habs D last year had guys like Edmundson, Chiarot, Weber, etc. who would just hold the puck in their own end and wait for a forward to get open. They wouldn't skate it up even if they had tons of free ice in front of them. They did the same thing in the O zone, where they would pass or shoot but never drive the box. This year, we're trending much the same. As I said, Norlinder was the one guy (and maybe Niku now too) who could offer some variety to the transition game and offence and give us something we didn't have. So simply put, Guhle doesn't do that. It doesn't mean he isn't good. It just means he's not the solution to what we're missing. But give me Guhle any day over Chiarot, sure. 

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Not sure what point you are making here in regards to what I was saying? My personal expectation is that he will be a #3 kind of guy who can go up to the first pairing from time to time. what I like about him is his overall competence he plays great defence can skate well has a very good first pass all this together at this stage indicates he will be a good Dman for us, who knows what he may develop into. As for this year while I am fairly sure he could get by in the NHL I would rather see him get one more year to hone his game and then come to camp next year ready to take a spot which in my mind will be Chiarot's the puck moving Dman will have to come from somewhere else this year if none of our patch jobs work out, perhaps a trade later on if a team sees it is going nowhere we may be able to flip someone for the right kind of player.

54 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

As for this year while I am fairly sure he could get by in the NHL I would rather see him get one more year to hone his game and then come to camp next year ready to take a spot which in my mind will be Chiarot's the puck moving Dman will have to come from somewhere else this year if none of our patch jobs work out, perhaps a trade later on if a team sees it is going nowhere we may be able to flip someone for the right kind of player.

Let's just hope WE are not that team.

A number of guys who improved their stock tonight:

- Chris Wideman was strong tonight as he battles for the 6 or 7 D spot.

- Alex Romanov played his best game of the pre-season and looked comfortable next to Petry. Is there any chance that duo actually sticks and Edmundson slots in next to Savard instead?

- Arber Xhekaj and Gianni Fairbrother are both likely being cut soon if not tonight, but both played well in general.

- Gabriel Bourque remains in contention for a 13-14th forward spot.

- Jesse Ylonen and Ryan Poehling both played way better than last time out. I don't think either has done enough to make the team, but they might have done enough to earn another pre-season game.

- Cayden Primeau had a much-needed solid outing and especially with Montembeault on his way, Primeau needed to solidify his spot in the organization.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think you're talking about a different point than I am. I am not saying Guhle won't be an NHLer, I am not saying he doesn't value or potential, and I am not saying we can't use a player like him. What I am saying is that I do not see him being a difference-maker for the Habs this year and I do not see him addressing the lacune on the defence. It's like the Habs not having a true top line center and then playing Danault there... Danault absolutely had great value, but having him here did not address the need for a true #1 center.

Right now, the left side of the Habs D features two guys with no offensive potential (Edmundson, Chiarot) and two guys who can move the puck a bit better (Kulak, Romanov) but who don't tend to skate the puck that much either. We do not have a single player on the left side who can take the puck and carry it out of the D zone and into the O zone, as we have with Petry on the right or as we had with Subban before that. We don't have a single guy on the left who is a threat to jump into the rush regularly and create odd-man scoring chances. If the other team knows that your D are always going to be looking to pass the puck out of your own zone, then they can just sit back in a trap and cover the forwards and wait to break off passes. It's akin to having an NFL team that can't run the ball, so the opposition defence knows they're always going to throw it. But if you establish the run as an option, then the defence has to respect that possibility and it makes it much harder to defend. The Habs D last year had guys like Edmundson, Chiarot, Weber, etc. who would just hold the puck in their own end and wait for a forward to get open. They wouldn't skate it up even if they had tons of free ice in front of them. They did the same thing in the O zone, where they would pass or shoot but never drive the box. This year, we're trending much the same. As I said, Norlinder was the one guy (and maybe Niku now too) who could offer some variety to the transition game and offence and give us something we didn't have. So simply put, Guhle doesn't do that. It doesn't mean he isn't good. It just means he's not the solution to what we're missing. But give me Guhle any day over Chiarot, sure. 

Sorry Ted thought you were saying Guhle's ceiling is not very high, which in my mind when you get comparisons to Weber and Paraynko (both top pairing guys), then your ceiling has got to be viewed as the same. If Guhle is a poor man's Weber at 20 then what will he be at 25? I think Guhle will be more of a Petry/Weber cross. I really like his defensive game and he already plays 20+ minutes a night in Jr. His ability to remain calm and thread passes through traffic for the breakout is also a solid asset and since he is a decent skater and has the speed to join the rush perhaps it's more of a lack of confidence than a lack of ability to do so or he is trying to just keep things simple in his first camp. I have seen video of him joining the rush often leading it and driving the play that we are not seeing in this camp so far. Check out some of his rushes starting around the 5:09 mark of the highlight package below. Sure he is not Subban but he is no Chiarot either.

13 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Sorry Ted thought you were saying Guhle's ceiling is not very high, which in my mind when you get comparisons to Weber and Paraynko (both top pairing guys), then your ceiling has got to be viewed as the same. If Guhle is a poor man's Weber at 20 then what will he be at 25? I think Guhle will be more of a Petry/Weber cross. I really like his defensive game and he already plays 20+ minutes a night in Jr. His ability to remain calm and thread passes through traffic for the breakout is also a solid asset and since he is a decent skater and has the speed to join the rush perhaps it's more of a lack of confidence than a lack of ability to do so or he is trying to just keep things simple in his first camp. I have seen video of him joining the rush often leading it and driving the play that we are not seeing in this camp so far. Check out some of his rushes starting around the 5:09 mark of the highlight package below. Sure he is not Subban but he is no Chiarot either.

Another view.

For Guhle, it is not a matter of ability — his skating, shot, and handling skills are NHL-level tools already.  What is missing in Guhle’s offence is recognition: seeing his chances to influence the attack, the open lanes, the open spaces, the times when he has a speed or an angle advantage over the opposition. In other words, the offensive instinct.

Contrary to many, I don’t believe this ability to be innate. Guhle is a mature blue-liner with a passion for the details of hockey. He’s already built himself a strong NHL base in his defensive game and now, over the course of this season and probably the next, he has the time to expand on it, to diversify his strengths, see new situations in which to use his skills, and integrate those.

If Guhle manages to do that, he will not only become a staple of the Canadiens’ blue line, but contribute to its transformation into a play-driving, offensive group.

42 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Another view.

For Guhle, it is not a matter of ability — his skating, shot, and handling skills are NHL-level tools already.  What is missing in Guhle’s offence is recognition: seeing his chances to influence the attack, the open lanes, the open spaces, the times when he has a speed or an angle advantage over the opposition. In other words, the offensive instinct.

Contrary to many, I don’t believe this ability to be innate. Guhle is a mature blue-liner with a passion for the details of hockey. He’s already built himself a strong NHL base in his defensive game and now, over the course of this season and probably the next, he has the time to expand on it, to diversify his strengths, see new situations in which to use his skills, and integrate those.

If Guhle manages to do that, he will not only become a staple of the Canadiens’ blue line, but contribute to its transformation into a play-driving, offensive group.

I tend to think to many judge the young defenseman on joining the rush or being an offensive d man. The position of a defenseman is defense first. If he is strong in these aspects first the rest can be developed. To many players like "Ghost" ect. are all the next great defenseman because of offensive abilities.  At the NHL it's harder to teach good defense than it is offense. 

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I tend to think to many judge the young defenseman on joining the rush or being an offensive d man. The position of a defenseman is defense first. If he is strong in these aspects first the rest can be developed. To many players like "Ghost" ect. are all the next great defenseman because of offensive abilities.  At the NHL it's harder to teach good defense than it is offense. 

For sure. That's why coaches trust defensive defensemen so much. Plus KG has the attributes necessary to provide offense.

On 10/2/2021 at 6:50 PM, BigTed3 said:

A number of guys who improved their stock tonight:

- Chris Wideman was strong tonight as he battles for the 6 or 7 D spot.

- Alex Romanov played his best game of the pre-season and looked comfortable next to Petry. Is there any chance that duo actually sticks and Edmundson slots in next to Savard instead?

- Arber Xhekaj and Gianni Fairbrother are both likely being cut soon if not tonight, but both played well in general.

- Gabriel Bourque remains in contention for a 13-14th forward spot.

- Jesse Ylonen and Ryan Poehling both played way better than last time out. I don't think either has done enough to make the team, but they might have done enough to earn another pre-season game.

- Cayden Primeau had a much-needed solid outing and especially with Montembeault on his way, Primeau needed to solidify his spot in the organization.

Seems I hear a lot of doom & gloom in regard to Primeau lately so it was definitely good to see him have a solid game on Saturday. I agree Xhakaj also played really well.

• H_T_L locked this topic