The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Injuries

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Keep in mind we made a deep playoff run last year and the season finished late because of COVID to begin with, so we had an extra short off-season... less time for guys to rest up, heal injuries, get surgery for whatever they were playing through, and so on. Plus, professional hockey players have a routine for what part of the year they rest up and then escalate training again, and with the schedule being far different from usual, it's possible they started escalating training with less recovery beforehand and were stressing parts of their bodies that weren't ready. Edmundson's injury really sounds like it's some kind of a muscle injury in the leg (like a hamstring or quad pull/tear). Caufield also sounds like he had some kind of a muscle pull. Price is now in rehab but had a late surgery in the off-season because of the playoffs. Hoffman sounds like he over-did it at practice. Weber was just broken and never made it back. And so on... wouldn't be surprised if this is a tougher year than most injury-wise for a lot of teams.

Tampa Bay doesn't seem to be doing too bad  Goin for a 3-pete.

23 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, and they had Kucherov and Stamkos missing most of the season last year. Already forgotten?

Nope.  Not forgotten.  Just a smarter GM. Oh wait!  He used to work for the Habs.  Sigh..........All the good ones get away.

Plus, they didn't have any trouble making the playoffs, where we will have trouble, have had trouble and expect to have trouble, injuries or not.

Our defence is not built for the regular season, plain and simple.

44 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Edmundson is taking an indefinite leave of absence to deal with family issues. His dad has lung cancer and Joel is taking time off to deal with that. Also Bergevin says Weber is a Longshot to ever return to play.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/edmundson-taking-personal-leave-canadiens-webers-return-longshot/sn-amp/

I'm assuming this will be the way to circumvent the cap recapture penalty Nash would incur. Just leave him on LTIR until the contract runs out. Or am I missing something

1 minute ago, booboo_mtl said:

I'm assuming this will be the way to circumvent the cap recapture penalty Nash would incur. Just leave him on LTIR until the contract runs out. Or am I missing something

Well right now, he definitely wants to come back. So its not a circumvention of anything.  If and when he decides he cant - or the decision is made for him - then maybe they will look at that although to be honest, i dont think montreal cares one bit about the recapture penalty to nashville.  I believe Montreal's recapture would be nothing or next to nothing but Nashville's would be $5m per till 2026. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Well right now, he definitely wants to come back. So its not a circumvention of anything.  If and when he decides he cant - or the decision is made for him - then maybe they will look at that although to be honest, i dont think montreal cares one bit about the recapture penalty to nashville.  I believe Montreal's recapture would be nothing or next to nothing but Nashville's would be $5m per till 2026. 

I think this year it would be 500k and next year no penalty at all for Montreal.

From The Athletic.: Bergevin: "Long Shot" Shea Weber Plays Again".

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/weber-mtl-future?fbclid=IwAR2__wQsPCctq1KH3_9InAii5-HM2eRxHMGkYjzJBP_7yiU9s-WHBWHk5qg

Marc Bergevin revealed to reporters on Wednesday that it is unlikely that Shea Weber ever plays in the NHL again.

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Habs should make a trade with Nashville,  & have Nashville throw in a sweetner. I'm not saying Weber, per sé. 

5 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I think this year it would be 500k and next year no penalty at all for Montreal.

The cap recapture penalty is calculated as the amount that a team saved against the cap over the course of the years the player played for them. In Weber's case, he earned 12M in actual salary the first two years he was here but had his cap hit of 7.857M. So the Habs gave him more money than they were charged against the cap, which gave them a competitive advantage. If Weber had retired after those two seasons, we would have had to take back on the 8M and change in cap savings against future caps.

Over the past 3 years, he's made 6M in real salary, so we've been charged more against the cap than we're actually paying him. So for each year passing now, we're paying down the prior competitive cap advantage we had. If Weber had retired this season, we would have had 2.7M and change less cap hit than actual salary paid to date, so we would have to take back this cap hit over the remaining 5 years of his contract (hence the 500k and change you quoted per year x 5 more years).

Weber's actual salary continues to drop though, and if he waits until the end of this season to retire, then we'd only have a cap benefit of 800k to pay off, so that would leave us with a cap hit of about 214k over the remaining 4 years. If Weber retires in two off-seasons, then by then we have no cap hit left to pay off.

As for Nashville, they get screwed over if Weber retires any time before the end of his contract. It would mean that they personally benefited from taking on 24M less cap hit than they actually paid out. The new rule in the NHL a couple of years ago prevents the annual cap hit against them from being more than the AAV of the contract, so they will essentially be on the hook for losing 24M total cap space over a 4 year period.

To sum that all up, the Habs have very little to lose in terms of the cap recapture penalty, but it would take IR'ing him for another full season after this one to completely eliminate our cap recapture penalty. Given that it looks like Weber will not officially make it to the end of his contract before retiring, Nashville will almost certainly be on the hook for their cap recapture penalty at some point. It would certainly behoove them to acquire Weber and IR him indefinitely if he was otherwise going to retire and was amenable to helping his old team out. So then the question becomes, what would Nashville be willing to pay us for 24M in cap space over 4 years? I'd throw out that cap space is actually extremely valuable. Nashville and David Poile essentially gave up Subban for two 2nd rounders just to have enough cap space to sign Duchene. The Leafs gave up a 1st rounder just to get out of one season of Patrick Marleau's 6.25M cap hit. And remember the Preds are already paying Turris 2M a year for 8 years, so if they have to pay dead cap of 7.8M to Weber too, that's a 10M cap penalty that they're paying off and that puts them at a huge competitive disadvantage.

All this to say that if you can convince Weber to play along, you can have him announce he's considering retirement, then force Nashville's hand to acquire him to convince him to go on IR instead of retire. If the going rate was a 1st rounder to save 6.25M in cap space, then to save 24M in cap space, you'd have to figure the ask should be even higher. I think a starting point would be a 1st rounder and a top prospect. It's not an unreasonable ask given how much Nashville would be handicapped, and if MB can make that happen, he instantly wins the Subban-Weber trade by using that cap recapture penalty to hold Nashville hostage.

• 2 weeks later...

#Habs injury updates:

Gallagher & Petry — gametime decisions Tuesday vs Detroit.

Edmundson — suffered a setback and is 10 days - 2 weeks away.

Norlinder — cleared for full contact practices. Depending on his progress he might see game action.

15 hours ago, electron58 said:

Dominique Ducharme says that Mathieu Perreault will miss 2 to 3 weeks with an eye injury. Adam Brooks will be in the lineup in Anaheim.

Per eric Engels

Mathieu Perreault started having some double vision and doctors realized his retina had detached. He found out he's got a condition called Lattice Retinal Degeneration. Had a small laser procedure to cure right eye and will be re-evaluated in a couple of weeks.

This is something Perreault was born with but never knew about until something went wrong. Wishing him a speedy recovery and hoping he never goes through it again.

6 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Anderson tweeted that JD was back from the hospital after getting checked out, and appears to be OK.

J. Drouin is day to day, after hit in head by shot during Canadiens game.
Forward was taken to hospital after being injured in first period against Red Wings.

Cédric Paquette did not return with his teammates for the second period of Tuesday’s game versus the Los Angeles Kings. The team  announced he would not return to the contest. I wonder what the Habs will do, with this important francophone missing?

On 11/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, electron58 said:

J. Drouin is day to day, after hit in head by shot during Canadiens game.
Forward was taken to hospital after being injured in first period against Red Wings.

21 hours ago, electron58 said:

Cédric Paquette did not return with his teammates for the second period of Tuesday’s game versus the Los Angeles Kings. The team  announced he would not return to the contest. I wonder what the Habs will do, with this important francophone missing?

Cédric Paquette will be out 10 days. Jonathan Drouin will not play tomorrow.  Drouin was placed on IR by the Canadiens yesterday, as per NHL media site.

10 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Cédric Paquette will be out 10 days. Jonathan Drouin will not play tomorrow.  Drouin was placed on IR by the Canadiens yesterday, as per NHL media site.

These injuries just keep piling up.