The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Carey Price - Out Indefinitely

Doesn’t look to be drug/alcohol related. But it does look like there could have been a little more to his waiving trade protection for the expansion draft than just wanting to protect Allan. Maybe he really was hoping Seattle would pick him up, and since that fell through, the closer he got to the start of the season, the more “real” him being stuck here with a Habs team that’s in for a tough ride became. Who knows, maybe we’ve seen the last of Price in a Habs jersey?..

23 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Doesn’t look to be drug/alcohol related. But it does look like there could have been a little more to his waiving trade protection for the expansion draft than just wanting to protect Allan. Maybe he really was hoping Seattle would pick him up, and since that fell through, the closer he got to the start of the season, the more “real” him being stuck here with a Habs team that’s in for a tough ride became. Who knows, maybe we’ve seen the last of Price in a Habs jersey?..

His wife seemed to suggest there were a couple of "tense days" just before the ED when the kraken were apparently mulling over calling the habs' bluff, so it sure sounded like while they were "prepared" to move, they ideally did not want to.

That said, one thing I've been pondering is this: 

Carey Price is super high profile. Maybe top 5-10 guys in the league in terms of name recognition.  Lets say he's got another 30+ days of rehab before he can start training... the league has been looking to shed more light on mental health issues... im not saying there isnt something there but you couldnt really ask for a better poster boy for brining attention to this initiative.  

I know, its probably total "tin foil helmet conspiracy stuff" and i am not suggesting this is the case at all, but the timing and the situation does make you wonder... 

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

His wife seemed to suggest there were a couple of "tense days" just before the ED when the kraken were apparently mulling over calling the habs' bluff, so it sure sounded like while they were "prepared" to move, they ideally did not want to.

That said, one thing I've been pondering is this: 

Carey Price is super high profile. Maybe top 5-10 guys in the league in terms of name recognition.  Lets say he's got another 30+ days of rehab before he can start training... the league has been looking to shed more light on mental health issues... im not saying there isnt something there but you couldnt really ask for a better poster boy for brining attention to this initiative.  

I know, its probably total "tin foil helmet conspiracy stuff" and i am not suggesting this is the case at all, but the timing and the situation does make you wonder... 

Maybe it did, and maybe your right. She could also have been just saying what sounded right. Even if he did want out (which I’m thinking at the time might have been 40/60 that he did), I don’t think he wanted it to look like he did. Partly just for optics, partly because that would have been awkward (at best) if it was public that he wanted to move to Seattle and the plan fell through. But who knows… But now with everything that’s happened this offseason, and MB looking like this might be his last year, I could understand if Price saw the potential of moving into another rebuild under a new regime and thought “ah crap…” 

• 4 weeks later...

what do you figure, December before he plays an NHL game 

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/carey-price-wont-speak-with-media-when-he-returns-to-canadiens-monday

Carey Price won't speak with media when he returns to Canadiens Monday

Goalie will only speak when the timing is agreed upon by doctors in player assistance program and team asks that his privacy be respected.

So Price was to return Monday , instead he showed up Sunday .

He was back at their practice facility Sunday to undergo tests and meet with the team’s training staff. He’ll be around his teammates on Tuesday and will, at some point prior to the team’s game against the Los Angeles Kings, meet with the coaching staff to map out a plan for his return to play.

“Yeah, he wants to come back and play,” Ducharme said. “But there’s other things to manage. We talked about the injury he was coming back from, getting back in playing shape, too. So, there’s many steps to be taken. But he wants to play, he wants to be part of our group, he wants to help out.”

Gallagher said he spoke with Price a bit on Sunday, and it was clear he came away from that conversation having drawn the same conclusion.

“I think he’s going to come back excited,” Gallagher said. “Like anyone, he’s going to be excited to get back to the rink when you’ve been away for long stretches at a time, and I’m super excited for him to be able to spend some time with his family and just get back to who he is and what he’s always done. We’re looking forward to it as a group, for sure.”

On 10/12/2021 at 12:23 PM, maas_art said:

Tense days hoping they picked him.    She is from Washinton State and he himself would likely prefer the west coast.   I firmly believe he made a calculated decision and wanted out.   This was his chance.  I think MB torpedoed that chance by letting the media know he was dealing with a knee injury which caused the Kraken to not select him.    At that point Carey was likely dejected, depleted and had a mini breakdown and entered the players assistance program

Furthermore, I'm trying to find the article, but there was an interview with Price and Weber before the start of the 2019/2020 season where they heavily implied they'd given MB an ultimatum of Cup within 2-3 years.     Covid happens, they remain patient.   They make finals when they had no business even being in the playoffs (only reason they make it is due to Canada only division).   Looking ahead to this season ... they likely fight to even make the playoffs.  Weber is suddenly too banged up to play and Price is waiving his NMC for the Expansion draft ... all the crumbs of evidence are there.

48 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Furthermore, I'm trying to find the article, but there was an interview with Price and Weber before the start of the 2019/2020 season where they heavily implied they'd given MB an ultimatum of Cup within 2-3 years.     Covid happens, they remain patient.   They make finals when they had no business even being in the playoffs (only reason they make it is due to Canada only division).   Looking ahead to this season ... they likely fight to even make the playoffs.  Weber is suddenly too banged up to play and Price is waiving his NMC for the Expansion draft ... all the crumbs of evidence are there.

Ok Columbo! LOL!

57 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I find that rather insulting to be honest.     I'm giving my opnion based on all the evidence we have available ... I firmly believe Carey wanted out

His wife mentioned that he agreed to be left unprotected so Montreal could protect Jake Allen . They felt his salary , injury etc would deter Seattle from selecting him .  But as it got closer they realized that he could in fact be selected . She ( IMO ) didnt seem to thrilled with the thought of leaving Montreal and he ( again IMO ) seemed to take as all part of the profession of being a hockey player.  If he really wanted out he could ( IMO which doesnt mean much ) approach the Habs and ask them to see what they could do to make it happen 

2 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Tense days hoping they picked him.    

Your opinion is based on articles - which is fine but I can assure you that mine is based on knowledge from the source.  

They were ok with going to Seattle if it came to that, but they did not want to go. 

https://www.tsn.ca/montreal-canadiens-carey-price-dominique-ducharme-1.1718551

Montreal Canadiens head coach Dominique Ducharme laid out the steps for Carey Price to return to game action on Tuesday.

The goaltender will begin with gym work, then move training alone on-ice before starting sessions with goalie coach Eric Raymond and then eventually joining the team for full practices. 

Price interacted with teammates at the Canadiens facility in Brossard Tuesday for the first time since he entered the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program on Oct. 7. He left the program after the 30-day mark on Nov. 6. 

Price’s steps will be:

1. Gym work;

2. Training alone on-ice;

3. On-ice work with GC Éric Raymond;

4. Full practices. Timeline undetermined, pending progress on his knee.

16 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

I find that rather insulting to be honest.     I'm giving my opnion based on all the evidence we have available ... I firmly believe Carey wanted out

Ease up there, nothing insulting about it I was just looking at the extensive list of evidence and it reminded me of an episode. I am not a subtle person in general, if I was looking to be insulting it would be far more obvious!

40 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

At least he's honest not like some superstar QB in Green bay 

Yeah, good on Carey for having the courage to do it and the courage to not hide behind anything after. It'll help others down the line. Gotta wonder if this has anything to do with painkillers for his knee injuries. Regardless, hoping he's found his way out of whatever it was and that he stays healthy.

15 hours ago, Regis22 said:

At least he's honest not like some superstar QB in Green bay 

Yeah, jeez... As a massive GB fan, Aaron Rodgers behavior has been atrocious. Immunized. What a dummy.

Happy Carey was able to get assistance with his mental health and substance issues. Hopefully the player assistance program will have provided him the tools to better deal with those issues moving forward. Mental health and substance abuse isn't a quick-fix situation, and I am sure Carey will have to work on it for many, many years. Here's to hoping he does so effectively and that he has a happy life with his family!

On 10/7/2021 at 5:07 PM, HabsAlways said:

I'm not going to be popular with this but .... there have been long standing rumors that Carey has had a drug problem (cocaine).    His lean look this past season (I was shocked actually as he looked incredibly thin, barely recognized him at start of last season to be honest), the rumors, his up and down performances ... now this.   I dunno, I kind of wonder if the drug abuse rumors were true after all.

I find it ... ironic?  That I posted this back in October and people shot it down.   I explain my reasoning as to why I believe Price wanted out of Montreal based on the evidence we have easily available to us (the ultimatum he and Weber gave in 2019, Weber's career being over, Price waiving his NMC for the ED then immediately entering the PA program).    He wanted out and the easy out (as he is likely untradeable) vanished when the Kraken didn't select him and he spiraled further down his rabbit hole and that too is dismissed.

Price waiving his NMC to be exposed in the ED to protect Allan makes no sense unless Price himself hoped to be picked.    The Habs had other options to protect Allan (preemptive trade with Kraken, the number of better goalies being exposed etc).  

I was right about the substance abuse and I'm pretty darn sure I'm right about him not wanting to be a Hab anymore.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2021/11/18/22788223/habs-headlines-carey-price-takes-to-the-ice-gallagher-fined-primeau-brooks-waiver-norlinder-debut

Thursday Habs Headlines: Carey Price takes to the ice and is “doing better”

"Carey went on the ice a couple days ago. He's doing better and he's on the program there, following the plan."--Dominique Ducharme. Says Joel Edmundson could be starting non-contact practice as of Saturday's morning skate.

33 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2021/11/18/22788223/habs-headlines-carey-price-takes-to-the-ice-gallagher-fined-primeau-brooks-waiver-norlinder-debut

Thursday Habs Headlines: Carey Price takes to the ice and is “doing better”

"Carey went on the ice a couple days ago. He's doing better and he's on the program there, following the plan."--Dominique Ducharme. Says Joel Edmundson could be starting non-contact practice as of Saturday's morning skate.

Just what we need, another "plan". 

• H_T_L changed the title to Carey Price - Out Indefinitely