The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Clean house. Bergevin, Timmins, Wilson Terminated

New Contract?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel MB deserves a new contract?

• Yes,,, he's earned it.
    • Absolutely not,,, he hasn't earned it.
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, Regis22 said:
Kind words for Bergevin, not so much for Timmins

Roy had high praise for the Canadiens' former GM on Tuesday, saying Bergevin put together a team that is much better than its record indicates.

The Canadiens are off to the worst regular-season start in the team's history.

"For me, the Canadiens, it's more of a reset that is needed, not a rebuild," said Roy, adding Bergevin leaves behind a strong crop of players. 

Roy, however, was not complimentary of Timmins, who worked for the team for nearly 20 years and played a major role in the recruitment and drafting process.

"Marc did great things with the club, he was extremely loyal with the people that surrounded him. So, he pays the price," Roy said.

"It's clear that Trevor Timmins hurt Marc Bergevin, but Marc is someone that's loyal so he stood behind him."

I was sort of warming to the idea of Roy joining the team but if he thinks that MB did a good job building this team then im not so sure about his ability to assess talent.  

sure we have some great wingers.  Yes, we have a few good young players and some nice prospects but we have gaping holes at several key positions. This is not a team with bad luck as Roy suggests.   Is it possible to turn this team around quickly? Yes, i think it is if we can move the right vets but I dont think that this roster is well constructed at all, and it worries me that Roy thinks it is.  Maybe he's just blowing smoke to make Molson more confident who knows. 

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

We need to get away from hiring ex-habs into executive positions. It hasn't worked for the last 28 years and it ain't gonna work for the next 28. 

What about Weber? According to Dreger Habs are considering a long term position with the organization, would you look at him for the D and PK associate coaching job? I would without hesitation.

32 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

What about Weber? According to Dreger Habs are considering a long term position with the organization, would you look at him for the D and PK associate coaching job? I would without hesitation.

It's certainly worth a thought.

Re the Weber rumours - does anyone know how that would work, contract wise? (ie, cap hit)?

Players can be player/coaches (doesnt happen often but we do see it - remember Savard did that for us in 1993) but I would assume that if a player doesnt formally retire, and signs on as "player/coach" he cant be on the LTIR?   

So the options are:

Retire (huge recapture penalty for Nash) & Coach - No cap hit (very minor recapture) for us. 

Player/Coach - full cap hit for us? No way we go for that imho

Status quo - LTIR, no coaching till his contract is up.

Anyone have better info than this speculation on my part? 

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Just keep in mind that scouting over the past two years has been hard with COVID. The database that each team has is already lacking, so to add a guy like Briere or Darche who hasn't done a lot of scouting and doesn't have that repository of information going into a draft where we likely have high picks could hurt. We can't afford to miss this year. So being able to add a guy with a scouting background be huge.

Yep that is pretty much what I just said.

Gorton was hired to be the de facto "GM" of this team, the person hired to fill the GM title has to accept that they are really an associate GM so then the management team  Molson devised for this market, consisting of a well qualified VP of hockey ops and a french speaking GM, may work. What won't work is Gorton, Madden or Roy each trying to prove that they are the smartest person in the room.

IMO calling Briere's "experience completely useless" or that  "has no experience at anything" are false and unfair statements demeaning to him and the experience he gained as a elite player, in his work in Flyers' management, in attending business school and working at all levels in building a start-up hockey franchise from the ice up. Briere may not be a choice to be GM for a lot of NHL teams but he deserves consideration to be the GM here. 

By hiring a strong VP of Hockey Ops Mr. Molson has widened the field of candidates for the GM's position and I hope Gorton begins his tenure here by selecting the one best suited for the unique circumstances in Montreal not the one whose resume impresses fans.

23 hours ago, habsisme said:

On the one hand I wouldn't mind Roy since Gorton is there but then just read this article. Why is he so openly criticizing Timmins? Why would he say the organization has been running in circles since 93? Even if these things are true, you don't say them. It's going to be like having Donald Trump as GM 

Geez I couldn't agree more ...the team doesn't need a tantrum machine ..if that's what's needed just go ahead and hire Torts ..Roy should mind his own business 

2 hours ago, RCAF48 said:

Gorton was hired to be the de facto "GM" of this team, the person hired to fill the GM title has to accept that they are really an associate GM so then the management team  Molson devised for this market, consisting of a well qualified VP of hockey ops and a french speaking GM, may work. What won't work is Gorton, Madden or Roy each trying to prove that they are the smartest person in the room.

IMO calling Briere's "experience completely useless" or that  "has no experience at anything" are false and unfair statements demeaning to him and the experience he gained as a elite player, in his work in Flyers' management, in attending business school and working at all levels in building a start-up hockey franchise from the ice up. Briere may not be a choice to be GM for a lot of NHL teams but he deserves consideration to be the GM here. 

By hiring a strong VP of Hockey Ops Mr. Molson has widened the field of candidates for the GM's position and I hope Gorton begins his tenure here by selecting the one best suited for the unique circumstances in Montreal not the one whose resume impresses fans.

If the Habs want a figurehead GM just to say that they have someone French to do press conferences, then yes, Briere fits that bill as well as anyone else. If they want someone to evaluate talent, make trades, make draft choices, negotiate contracts, find loopholes in the CBA, do cap management, etc. then I don't think Briere is the most qualified applicant and there's nothing wrong with saying that he lacks the same experience as others. It's a fact. It's not demeaning to Briere. He has a couple of years experience in the ECHL and nada with an NHL team or even AHL team. It's not to say he can't become good at the job, but we would benefit from having someone in place who has a database of pro and amateur players to be able to work with. If you're not basing the decision on what someone brings to the table experience-wise and track record-wise then what exactly are we basing it on? Being an NHL player doesn't necessarily translate into being a better coach or GM. Gretzky was a lousy coach. So again, not to say Briere shouldn't get a job here but I'd much rather he start off as an assistant GM or director of player development or so on and get a promotion when he has more experience inside the league.

3 hours ago, RCAF48 said:

A key question for me, is who is spearheading the interviewing process - a question we can't really answer. If it is jointly by committee with Molson, Gorton, Sedgewick etc. all having input then maybe it isn't as "Associate" as we think. I would like to believe Molson that a two headed recommendation on player personnel (trades, drafts, free agents, coaching choice) by Gorton / New GM can work vs. assuming the negative of a senior / junior associate relationship hierarchy. Some may view this as naive  

It was not my intent to demean Briere in my strong choice of words but interpretation of written posts can be viewed differently from that to which it was intended. I believe Briere has a long way to go on experience, before he could be viewed as having substantial equivalent personnel input as Gorton. I too hope the best candidate is selected based on experience, merit and potential. The last thing we want is disagreements at this level.  

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

Geez I couldn't agree more ...the team doesn't need a tantrum machine ..if that's what's needed just go ahead and hire Torts ..Roy should mind his own business 

Lol why should he mind his own business? Is that what we’re doing? Spouting off our thoughts and opinions in a public forum? Like him or not, if he’s unimpressed with Timmins draft history, what’s so egregious about him speaking out about it? How is that throwing a tantrum? Are any of us happy with Timmins draft history?

2 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Lol why should he mind his own business? Is that what we’re doing? Spouting off our thoughts and opinions in a public forum? Like him or not, if he’s unimpressed with Timmins draft history, what’s so egregious about him speaking out about it? How is that throwing a tantrum? Are any of us happy with Timmins draft history?

Well we're not applying for the job .  In the so-called real world they recommend never to bad mouth a former employer .  The Habs may not be Roy;s former employer in a management sense but still to say the guy who did the job previously didn't do a good job , I dunno , doeswnt sound too good to some 

On 12/1/2021 at 4:08 PM, BigTed3 said:

If the Habs want a figurehead GM just to say that they have someone French to do press conferences, then yes, Briere fits that bill as well as anyone else. If they want someone to evaluate talent, make trades, make draft choices, negotiate contracts, find loopholes in the CBA, do cap management, etc. then I don't think Briere is the most qualified applicant and there's nothing wrong with saying that he lacks the same experience as others. It's a fact. It's not demeaning to Briere. He has a couple of years experience in the ECHL and nada with an NHL team or even AHL team. It's not to say he can't become good at the job, but we would benefit from having someone in place who has a database of pro and amateur players to be able to work with. If you're not basing the decision on what someone brings to the table experience-wise and track record-wise then what exactly are we basing it on? Being an NHL player doesn't necessarily translate into being a better coach or GM. Gretzky was a lousy coach. So again, not to say Briere shouldn't get a job here but I'd much rather he start off as an assistant GM or director of player development or so on and get a promotion when he has more experience inside the league.

I had to google Kent Hughes -bilingual agent. Elliott Friedman mentioned him as a potential GM on the interview list 

20 hours ago, claremont said:

I had to google Kent Hughes -bilingual agent. Elliott Friedman mentioned him as a potential GM on the interview list 

man that would REALLY piss off french media and they already smell blood. I don't know if they can do that

14 minutes ago, claremont said:

He's from Beaconsfield and does speak french fluently

yeah but they just hired an american who can't speak french, I really think they need to find someone with a french name. I know its not how it should be but there's a reality

Well being born and raised in Qubec I can tell you there are some who will not be happy until the people of Quebec own the team and every person in the team is from there. That being said most people from there don't care that much as long as the person speaks enough french that they can understand them, being from Quebec helps a lot too!

5 hours ago, habsisme said:

man that would REALLY piss off french media and they already smell blood. I don't know if they can do that

1 hour ago, claremont said:

He's from Beaconsfield and does speak french fluently

I'm actually curious to see how the French media and Legault would react if Hughes were hired. He's from Quebec and he speaks French but it's his second language and he's an anglophone first. So we would find out whether the whole charade of needing a French-speaking GM/coach is actually about being able to communicate in French at press conferences or whether it's about putting someone in place who is a "pure laine Francophone." Living in Quebec, it's clear that Legault and many other politicians say one thing to one group and another to another group but when it comes to actions, they treat Anglophones and immigrants as second-class citizens, even if they speak French as a second language. So this would be a really interesting social experiment...

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm actually curious to see how the French media and Legault would react if Hughes were hired. He's from Quebec and he speaks French but it's his second language and he's an anglophone first. So we would find out whether the whole charade of needing a French-speaking GM/coach is actually about being able to communicate in French at press conferences or whether it's about putting someone in place who is a "pure laine Francophone." Living in Quebec, it's clear that Legault and many other politicians say one thing to one group and another to another group but when it comes to actions, they treat Anglophones and immigrants as second-class citizens, even if they speak French as a second language. So this would be a really interesting social experiment...

Ya, Legault pretty much backed himself into a corner. It's time for him to either put up or shut up.