The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Clean house. Bergevin, Timmins, Wilson Terminated

habsisme

New Contract?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel MB deserves a new contract?

• Yes,,, he's earned it.
    • Absolutely not,,, he hasn't earned it.
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

46 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Pierre Lebrun reporting that Molson spoke to Mellanby about taking over the GM role and that Mellanby was subsequently told he was out of the running, so he resigned. Suggests that Bergevin is indeed going to be fired!!!!!

Fired? Maybe not. But at least we know he'll leave the post at the end of this season.

25 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Gorton was part of the group that wrote the letter to its fans before it began its rebuild and then proceeded to quickly turn it around

If we could find a way to make it work with the language requirements (make Gorton President of Hockey Ops with a puppet GM?) I'd be thrilled with this outcome.

Among candidates for the GM, you basically have 4 groups:

1. Target current GM from another team: very hard to pull off, requires patience, and very rare (Burke to Toronto years ago may be an example)
  2. Target former GMs: problem is most of these are "former" for a reason: they usually left their previous team in a bit of a mess, very hard sell to fans.
  3. Target up-and-comer (usually assistant with another team): fans tend to like this approach since it always looks great on paper; in reality often doesn't work as well as we first hope
  4. Go off-the board (appoint non-hockey-expert, broadcaster, your backup goalie, etc): it happens ...

Generally, like most fans, I'd prefer category 3, but Gorton is one of the few exceptions I might make to category 2.

32 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Lol, then I'm glad Molson denied Mellanby the job. MB recommending his Assistant on the way out. Sure, Bergevin, sure... :rolleyes:

Not to taint an assistant with their boss's mistakes, but ... last time this happened in Montreal it was a disaster.

Louis Jean reporting that the Habs may be looking to hire Gorton as President of Hockey Ops to support a young/inexperienced Francophone GM. Basically, giving Gorton the power to make hockey decisions in the short term while having a puppet figure to please the Francois Legault's of the world. Other reports saying Bergevin blindsided by all of this news tonight and that he found out on twitter like everyone else. He thought Mellanby would be his successor and had recommended him as next in line and now finds out his supporters are being tossed aside. All pointing to the end of Bergevin here, which would be great.

I've personally supported Timmins or Madden Jr. as next GM and this structure suggests it's less likely to be either of them. Timmins likely wouldn't be a puppet figure if they wanted a Francophone (doubt they'd hire two anglos back to back) and Madden is in the running to get the Anaheim job. He could be lured to be a GM for sure elsewhere I'd think, but I doubt he'd leave a possible GM job to take a job where he has no control of his own decisions. So Matt Darche, with zero experience, really a name that jumps more to the forefront with all of this...

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Louis Jean reporting that the Habs may be looking to hire Gorton as President of Hockey Ops to support a young/inexperienced Francophone GM. Basically, giving Gorton the power to make hockey decisions in the short term while having a puppet figure to please the Francois Legault's of the world. Other reports saying Bergevin blindsided by all of this news tonight and that he found out on twitter like everyone else. He thought Mellanby would be his successor and had recommended him as next in line and now finds out his supporters are being tossed aside. All pointing to the end of Bergevin here, which would be great.

I've personally supported Timmins or Madden Jr. as next GM and this structure suggests it's less likely to be either of them. Timmins likely wouldn't be a puppet figure if they wanted a Francophone (doubt they'd hire two anglos back to back) and Madden is in the running to get the Anaheim job. He could be lured to be a GM for sure elsewhere I'd think, but I doubt he'd leave a possible GM job to take a job where he has no control of his own decisions. So Matt Darche, with zero experience, really a name that jumps more to the forefront with all of this...

Happy to see movement and it seems Molson understands we need a fresh approach I like the gent he is talking too as well he did good work in Boston.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I suggested this "puppet" arrangement above as a joke, but if that's actually the plan, I'm all for it. In reality, it's probably a bit unfair to consider the GM a "puppet", I assume we'll offer something between full autonomy and what an assistant GM could do.

This could actually be the best outcome given the language requirements: we'd get the right person in charge to steer the ship without worrying about the language, but could bring in a promising younger GM to be the public face, contribute to the decisions, and eventually maybe take over with full autonomy down the line.

I wonder how attractive the job would be to someone like Gorton who presumably could hold out for another gig: even though President of Hockey Ops is technically superior to GM, the responsibilities seem to vary wildly across the league (sometimes seems to be a way to fire a GM without firing them) and you aren't the one who gets to claim to have been the GM of a winner. Montreal also may not be the most attractive spot given the media pressure and number of long-term contracts. However, there are some nice young pieces, the team can spend without issue, the owner seems easy to work for, and fans haven't had an explicit rebuild in over a decade, so should give the new team some time to get things sorted out.

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Other reports saying Bergevin blindsided by all of this news tonight and that he found out on twitter like everyone else. He thought Mellanby would be his successor and had recommended him as next in line and now finds out his supporters are being tossed aside. All pointing to the end of Bergevin here, which would be great.

If MB feels so blindsided then maybe he should consider resigning. 

I do like the hiring of Gorton on paper. He made some good moves in limited time with the Bruins as GM and he re-built the Rangers. Don't think he made fantastic choices with all his picks, but what he did recognize was the importance of stockpiling lots of 1st rounders, which will be needed him.

As for Geoff Molson, it's about time he got around to firing Bergevin, albeit way too late. But for goodness sake, grow a pair and just announce Gorton as GM if he's the one who is going to be making the hockey decisions.Stop hiding behind the title to say the "GM" will speak French because you don't have the guts to stand up to the politicians.

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

Correct - Paul Wilson was communications and public affairs responsibility 

I suspect that Gorton will make a lot of key personnel decisions in conjunction with the new GM - a two headed check and balance committee and the GM will be the face to the media

4 minutes ago, claremont said:

Correct - Paul Wilson was communications and public affairs responsibility 

I suspect that Gorton will make a lot of key personnel decisions in conjunction with the new GM - a two headed check and balance committee and the GM will be the face to the media

With Timmins gone, we should be hoping for Martin Madden Jr, but again, Anaheim (his current organization) also has an opening so I doubt he comes here unless he's out of the running there. Otherwise, why get into a power struggle with Gorton?

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

With Timmins gone, we should be hoping for Martin Madden Jr, but again, Anaheim (his current organization) also has an opening so I doubt he comes here unless he's out of the running there. Otherwise, why get into a power struggle with Gorton?

why him specifically?  

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I do like the hiring of Gorton on paper. He made some good moves in limited time with the Bruins as GM and he re-built the Rangers. Don't think he made fantastic choices with all his picks, but what he did recognize was the importance of stockpiling lots of 1st rounders, which will be needed him.

As for Geoff Molson, it's about time he got around to firing Bergevin, albeit way too late. But for goodness sake, grow a pair and just announce Gorton as GM if he's the one who is going to be making the hockey decisions.Stop hiding behind the title to say the "GM" will speak French because you don't have the guts to stand up to the politicians.

I like Gorton;s track record - he knows when to clean out aging veterans vs. hanging onto them too long and building thru the draft. I just hope we get a GM that is familiar with player evaluations

Just now, BigTed3 said:

Because he's one of the few French-speaking GM candidates who has qualifications to actually potentially do a good job.

Exactly - Martin Madden has the resume and experience. Otherwise 53 year old Gorton is taking a flyer on someone like Yanick Jean from the QMJHL - Chicoutimi - Patrick Roy would need to be roped in instead of a pissing match with Gorton, Roberto Luongo is inexperienced, Mathieu Darche is probably tied to Tampa Bay, Jocelyn Thibault from Hockey Quebec and previously managed Sherbrooke is inexperienced, Phillippe Boucher from the QMJHL is interesting but maybe not dynamic enough - Managing at the junior level is one thing for prospects evaluation and scouting - negotiating at the NHL is a whole different level.

3 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Read elsewhere that mellanby was originally promised the next GM job but then management  changed their minds so he quit . 

what a messed up organization .  

Agreed - the optics aren't that great with Bergevin in quarantine for COVID as of the 19th - They never had a succession plan as Mellanby never learned French for the media side of things in all that time here. 

8 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Read elsewhere that mellanby was originally promised the next GM job but then management  changed their minds so he quit . 

what a messed up organization .  

Mellanby doesn't speak French... I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Why would Molson have promised him a job that will never ever in a million years go to a non-French speaking person?

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Mellanby doesn't speak French... I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Why would Molson have promised him a job that will never ever in a million years go to a non-French speaking person?

An old dog can learn new tricks. If Mellanby felt he had a chance at the role, he would have taken French lessons daily - he has himself to blame as he had over 9 years in the habs organization. Is it easy - no, but if he had the desire, he would have taken the steps

2 minutes ago, claremont said:

An old dog can learn new tricks. If Mellanby felt he had a chance at the role, he would have taken French lessons daily - he has himself to blame as he had over 9 years in the habs organization. Is it easy - no, but if he had the desire, he would have taken the steps

But also, if Mellanby was Bergevin's recommendation... I'm glad he's not getting the job. Bergevin recommending his AGM on the way out just reeks of nepotism. Oh really? The one candidate you think should take over just happens to be the current AGM that you hired? Have you actually put any thought into this, Marc?

• maas_art changed the title to Habs Clean house. Bergevin, Timmins, Wilson Terminated
  • H_T_L locked this topic