16 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the night?

• Easy win by 2 goals or more
    • Squeaker win by one goal
    • A win in OT or SO
    • We get a loser point
    • The streak continues.

15 minutes ago, CzechHab said:

I feel sorry for everyone who watched this. It seems there's a long season ahead of us...

Since we can't even beat the really bad teams like Buffalo, San Jose and Ottawa, how do we expect to beat the average and good teams? We could be well on our way to our worst record in franchise history.

ZERO shots on goal by Brooks 12:32 ice time,Gallagher 13:44 ice time, Lehkonen 11:13 ice time, Petry 22:51 ice time.  How is this even possible?? This team seriously need to pull their head out of their ass and play some old school get to the net hockey.

Again an arm chair coach BUT CHAIROT AND SAVARD AS A PAIRING IS NOT WORKING!!!  Is DD scared to makes some changes but I guess our shit GM has painted him into a corner by giving him shit players on D. 

Good on Molson for not giving MB a contract, time to let the garbage go

4 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

ZERO shots on goal by Brooks 12:32 ice time,Gallagher 13:44 ice time, Lehkonen 11:13 ice time, Petry 22:51 ice time.  How is this even possible?? This team seriously need to pull their head out of their ass and play some old school get to the net hockey.

Again an arm chair coach BUT CHAIROT AND SAVARD AS A PAIRING IS NOT WORKING!!!  Is DD scared to makes some changes but I guess our shit GM has painted him into a corner by giving him shit players on D. 

Good on Molson for not giving MB a contract, time to let the garbage go

I mean, I don't think we know if DD is actually a good coach or not yet. I think we can all agree that Montreal making it to the Finals last year was a Cinderella story. A fairytale. Carey elevated his game, we had some luck, some pivotal individual performances, but... It didn't feel like a contender making a run to the Finals. That was TB.

I sort of see us struggling a lot this season. The D is still bad. It has been for years. Our center depth was really hit when Danault and KK left. We're seeing what it looks like for Suzuki to have the toughest match-ups instead of Danault now.

5 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I mean, I don't think we know if DD is actually a good coach or not yet. I think we can all agree that Montreal making it to the Finals last year was a Cinderella story. A fairytale. Carey elevated his game, we had some luck, some pivotal individual performances, but... It didn't feel like a contender making a run to the Finals. That was TB.

I sort of see us struggling a lot this season. The D is still bad. It has been for years. Our center depth was really hit when Danault and KK left. We're seeing what it looks like for Suzuki to have the toughest match-ups instead of Danault now.

I don't have high hopes for DD to be honest. Agreed with you that the run last year was more due to Carey going back to being all-world and getting some luck to some degree. Again, we came one goal away from being eliminated in Game 5 of the first round after struggling down the stretch to sneak into the playoffs in a weak division. This wasn't a great season, it was a magical playoff run by a mediocre team. We do have some good personnel elements, but our biggest strength (wingers) is probably the least important position, and we've been continually weak on D in the Bergevin era and we're thinner down the middle this season, as you said.

What elements can we judge coaching on?

1. Special teams... a lot of this comes down to strategy and goaltending. Our PP has been abysmal for years and we haven't seen a lot of strategy here other than just "pass the puck to our best shooter."

2. Lines/Pairings... on this front, Chiarot-Weber was a bad choice and Chiarot-Savard is worse. Ducharme doesn't seem to see this, despite many media people directly asking him about it. I wasn't thrilled about his opting for Staal continually last year as well.

3. Discipline... we haven't had as many too many men calls as under Julien, so that's one thing, but we have had terrible discipline. Way too many roughing/cross-checking/hooking penalties etc. On the one hand, it's on the players, but on the other hand, when you have guys like Chiarot taking repeated penalties or guys like Hoffman taking a lazy O-zone hook last night, it's up to the coach to hold players accountable and shut that type of play down.

So from my view, he really hasn't impressed me with anything he's done to date. Would like to see more creativity and adaptation, and we haven't to be frank.

• H_T_L locked this topic