The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

KK homecoming Thursday 7:00

H_T_L

Your preference  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What's more important to you at this point in the season?

• An end to this losing streak
    • Shutting down KK
    • Let's keep tanking

This poll is closed to new votes

• H_T_L unpinned this topic

I said it a month ago that letting both KK and Danault go in the same offseason was moronic. Now we are seeing exactly why you need to keep either on. It was simple math  if you let Danault walk you keep KK even at 6.1 Mil. If you keep Danault then you can let KK walk, you simply can't do both.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:22 PM, habsisme said:

God if we lose and KK scores... I mean this has to be rock bottom 

yup rock bottom

Well, we got a real shot at Shane Wright, and if that happens and Suzuki plays like we thought he could, we'll be good at C for years to come but something tells me we will suck everywhere else lol

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I said it a month ago that letting both KK and Danault go in the same offseason was moronic. Now we are seeing exactly why you need to keep either on. It was simple math  if you let Danault walk you keep KK even at 6.1 Mil. If you keep Danault then you can let KK walk, you simply can't do both.

Well they did trade for Dvorak, but as I said before the season, Dvorak was the replacement for Danault, and they never replaced Kotkaniemi. The extra center seems to be some combination of Perreault and Paquette, and that's a brutal downgrade. But similar story as when MB dispatched Sergachev, Beaulieu, Markov, and Emelin in one season and then tried to replace them down the line with the likes of Alzner, Schlemko, and a geriatric Mark Streit. His contingency plans for letting players walk has never been bery good.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Well they did trade for Dvorak, but as I said before the season, Dvorak was the replacement for Danault, and they never replaced Kotkaniemi. The extra center seems to be some combination of Perreault and Paquette, and that's a brutal downgrade. But similar story as when MB dispatched Sergachev, Beaulieu, Markov, and Emelin in one season and then tried to replace them down the line with the likes of Alzner, Schlemko, and a geriatric Mark Streit. His contingency plans for letting players walk has never been bery good.

Exactly, we needed to keep one of them AND trade for Dvorak not lose both then replace 1

6 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Exactly, we needed to keep one of them AND trade for Dvorak not lose both then replace 1

The team would Probably be in the same situation . Danault snd JK don’t exactly light the league on fire with their scoring ability . Danault it appears had his mind set on leaving and JK unexpectedly rec’d a ridiculous $6 million offer which the team couldn’t match . Suzuki isn’t playing like a #1 C  . The whole team isn’t playing very good . But it’s just carried on from the regular season last year 

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I dont think keeping KK would have made any difference with the start we have. KK in Dvorak out. Dvorak right now is still a better player than KK. He is as snake bitten as everybody else on the team. Is KK going to help Suzuki put points up on the board, or help Anderson hit the net, or put Edmunston in the lineup to help the dee, or would he help Caufiield score a goal, or help Price with his mental issue. Or help Weber heal up and come back on the ice. Or get the ref to overturn Gallagher goal. He would make no difference to this team

This is brutal as a fan. But even worse for the players on that team. They had moments last night that were good. When nothing goes right nothing goes right. Adding KK back on this team is not the answer.

2 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I dont think keeping KK would have made any difference with the start we have. KK in Dvorak out. Dvorak right now is still a better player than KK. He is as snake bitten as everybody else on the team. Is KK going to help Suzuki put points up on the board, or help Anderson hit the net, or put Edmunston in the lineup to help the dee, or would he help Caufiield score a goal, or help Price with his mental issue. Or help Weber heal up and come back on the ice. Or get the ref to overturn Gallagher goal. He would make no difference to this team

This is brutal as a fan. But even worse for the players on that team. They had moments last night that were good. When nothing goes right nothing goes right. Adding KK back on this team is not the answer.

Completely agree, having Kotkaniemi wouldn't solve our issues right now. Having both Kotkaniemi AND Dvorak would make a difference, but that's unrealistic because MB would never have traded for CD if KK was still around. Losing Weber was a huge blow, both in the room and on the ice. Losing Price was another, but Allen hasn't been bad. Edmundson would give the D more stability as well. Additionally, both Romanov and Caufield seem to have taken a step back, but there's no point in singling players out. Virtually everyone is struggling and playing well below their usual level at the moment.

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah that would have fixed all our problems, it's the entire team not the play of any one player.  6.1 for KK is a joke and certainly not worth that crap.  Seriously think of the bog picture, if the team had of signed KK or Danult to these joke contracts what would Suzuki think he is worth when he put up more points than both of them COMBINED????

6 hours ago, caperns61 said:

6 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Completely agree, having Kotkaniemi wouldn't solve our issues right now. Having both Kotkaniemi AND Dvorak would make a difference, but that's unrealistic because MB would never have traded for CD if KK was still around. Losing Weber was a huge blow, both in the room and on the ice. Losing Price was another, but Allen hasn't been bad. Edmundson would give the D more stability as well. Additionally, both Romanov and Caufield seem to have taken a step back, but there's no point in singling players out. Virtually everyone is struggling and playing well below their usual level at the moment.

5 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Yeah that would have fixed all our problems, it's the entire team not the play of any one player.  6.1 for KK is a joke and certainly not worth that crap.  Seriously think of the bog picture, if the team had of signed KK or Danult to these joke contracts what would Suzuki think he is worth when he put up more points than both of them COMBINED????

Reread my post I said you have to keep one of KK and Danault. It didn't matter the price, the reports were that KK was looking for around 3 mil NOT 6.1 mil. MB didn't want to pay over 2-2.5 Mil. The point is he just let Danault walk so he SHOULD have paid the extra .5 mil to keep KK. I know he couldn't have seen the OS coming but he also wasn't being proactive and was being pigheaded again just like in the Radulov and Markov situation. Realistically it was 500k not 6 Mil that cost us KK, if MB had actually been willing to negotiate with the player rather then give him an ultimatum he would have only had to fill 1 top 9 center position and not 2. That is my argument here, I really don't care about not matching KK's OS it was right not to but it shouldn't have gotten that far over 500k.

5 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Actually even if the guys were playing better losing both KK and Danault is problematic when you're replacing either of them with Paquette.    

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

Reread my post I said you have to keep one of KK and Danault. It didn't matter the price, the reports were that KK was looking for around 3 mil NOT 6.1 mil. MB didn't want to pay over 2-2.5 Mil. The point is he just let Danault walk so he SHOULD have paid the extra .5 mil to keep KK. I know he couldn't have seen the OS coming but he also wasn't being proactive and was being pinhead again just like in the Radulov and Markov situation. Realistically it was 500k not 6 Mil that cost us KK, if MB had actually been willing to negotiate with the player rather then give him an ultimatum he would have only had to fill 1 top 9 center position and not 2. That is my argument here, I really don't care about not matching KK's OS it was right not to but it shouldn't have gotten that far over 500k.

This.    If MB hadn't been low balling KK they might have been closer on dollar figures.   If they hadn't jerked him around last season, he may have been less likely to jump at a 6m 1 year in CAR if he'd been treated decently and offered 4.5m/yr for 2yrs.  

And losing 2 of what were your top 3 centers and replacing them with Dvorak is definitely a problem and causes issues through the entire forward lineup.   In an ideal world we kept KK and got Dvorak to replace Danault.     Dvorak steps into the shutdown role and KK plays with offensive wingers and hopefully produces.    We'll never know, because much like the pylons MB gets for D, he replaced talent with grit and expects miracles.

Dovorak is better than both of those players we lost, he had more points than both of them COMBINED while playing on a shit team.  He has a better face off win percentage than either of those players.  So yeah he is a great replacement, Evans is a fine replacement for KK he has just as much potential.  The problem isn't our centers, the problem is our shit D that can't skate, pass or hit anyone.  They telegraph their passes so even a blind man can see what they are doing, the forwards are not coming back to help support and make the passes shorter.  This is a coaching issue not a who we lost issue.

1 minute ago, HabsAlways said:

Actually even if the guys were playing better losing both KK and Danault is problematic when you're replacing either of them with Paquette.   

But you're replacing one of them with Dvorak , then you have Evans AND Poehling ( whom a lot of people had high hopes for ) was suppose to fight for the last spot but he didnt do much in exhibition 

15 hours ago, campabee82 said:

This is a team that currently can't score and can hardly get shots on net sometimes, Danault and KK are not the answer to that issue.

43 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Dovorak is better than both of those players we lost, he had more points than both of them COMBINED while playing on a shit team.  He has a better face off win percentage than either of those players.  So yeah he is a great replacement, Evans is a fine replacement for KK he has just as much potential.  The problem isn't our centers, the problem is our shit D that can't skate, pass or hit anyone.  They telegraph their passes so even a blind man can see what they are doing, the forwards are not coming back to help support and make the passes shorter.  This is a coaching issue not a who we lost issue.

Danault

Dvorak

And the Habs haven't been much better as a team than the Coyotes have in the last 300-400 games ... Dvorak is no bette rthan Danault overall ... you're trading a bit more goal sscoring, for less play making and less defensive ability.  That's it.  Getting Dvorak to replace Danault is totally fine ... losing 2 guys that were playing in your top 3 at the same time is a massive problem.

46 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

The stat lines didn't show ... 

Dvorak 147 career pts in 307 games,  Danault 200 career pts in 395 games, so no ... Dvorak does not in fact have "more points than both of them combined".    Again, Dvorak is an excellent replacement for Danault.    But Dvorak/Evans/Paquette is not a replacement for Dvorak/KK/Evans in any universe.

• H_T_L locked this topic