1. 1.

• 5- Guy Lapointe
    • 12- Yvan Cournoyer
    • 18- Serge Savard
    • 19- Larry Robinson
    • 29- Ken Dryden
    • 33- Patrick Roy
    • Other - Mention below

Forget #33... Best goaler i've ever known, but his number will never be retired... Not in Montreal anyway..

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/team/RoyLegacy.asp

On that link there's a picture of Patrick Roy's number being retired in Coloradao... I highly doubt they will retire it a seconde time.

Edit :Plus. his last game in montreal was a 11 goals against for him...

No. 5 Guy Lapointe!!

This guy was the most underrated defenseman of the big 3 (Robinson and Savard the other two)

He as just a rookie defenseman when he played for the 1971 Cup FInal and was so steady in keeping the greats Bobby Hull, Jim Pappin, Stan Mikita off the scoresheet!

He played hurt for most of his 12 + seasons in Montreal, but never complained like players do now!

Such a steady defenseman for Montreal...too bad they don't have him as an assistant coach for Montreal to teach the youngsters how to play...are you listening Bob Gainey??

I believe Robinson's time will come, but this guy deserves credentials more! Pointu, you were great when you played mon ami! :wink:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest ABC™

Well, I'm surprised no one has mentioned his name. Jacques Plante, number 1. Surely, he is considered the best(or 2nd best) goalie in Canadiens history.

I would say that Larry Robinson should be up there as well.

Well, I'm surprised no one has mentioned his name. Jacques Plante, number 1. Surely, he is considered the best(or 2nd best) goalie in Canadiens history. [/quote:f4d6b72f19]

First, welcome the the Montreal Canadiens' fan forum. The reason why no one mentioned Jacques Plante is because his number was retired in 1995. :wink:

Source...

Larry Robinson probably will be the next player retired, without a doubt in my mind.

Matter of fact, I think it would be a great gesture if they retired Robinson, Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe's numbers at the same time. These guys were so good together. Sure, Robinson stood out, but Lapointe and Savard were also great players, too. The three of them made up the most dominant defense ever iced. And to put them in front of a Hall of Fame goalie like Ken Dryden? Nuff said!!!

Guest ABC™
Well, I'm surprised no one has mentioned his name. Jacques Plante, number 1. Surely, he is considered the best(or 2nd best) goalie in Canadiens history. [/quote:d330138bbf]

First, welcome the the Montreal Canadiens' fan forum. The reason why no one mentioned Jacques Plante is because his number was retired in 1995. :wink:

Source...[/quote:d330138bbf]

Well heck, I missed that bigtime. Thanks for letting me know. I honestly thought I knew all the numbers. I appreciate that. Thank you for the welcome. I was going to say Bill Durnan but his is number 1 as well.

• 4 months later...
Guest Eric 5:16

# 19 will be retired eventually, no doubt ! But it doesn't have to be the next one.

Can you believe that no one wore that number since Robinson left in 1989 ! To me, it tells a lot about what that number means in the Montreal Canadien's history. It should be seen as an even bigger honour then to have the number retire right back then.

The same thing is going on with number 33, it's been almost 10 years. Do you think a goalie would dare wearing number 33 for the Canadiens ?

In 2009, the number 19 will have been untouched for 20 years, I think it would be nice to retire it then !!!

So the next number to go should be : 5 or 12 or 18 !

Guest picard 24

Hello everyone!

In my point of view, all those players derserves their numbers to be takin away . They should hurry up and start this season with no. 12 Yvan Cournoyer. thank you, thank you very much .

Bob [/img]

Guest Habsters

Larry stuck around when the team needed him in the early eighty's and he took alot of flack back then when the team was strugling.

But when you look at his carrer as a whole and even more imprtantly look at who he showed the ropes to along the way... Langway, Chelios, Ludwig need we say more. Bob retire his number he more than deserves it! 8)

Guest lescanadienssontla

Without ? I would retire Robinson's 19....unselfish excellence over an extended period of service. Would never retire Roy's #....selfish exit...thinks he is more important than the jersey.

Guest Habsessed

In my opinion, you can't just pick one from that list because if any of those players were on a lesser team there is no doubt that they would be retired. It would be nice to see all those players honoured with their number retired but with the number of players on a hockey team there would quickly be much fewer numbers to use.

• 2 months later...

What's the most seen replay in habs history? Guy Lafleurs goal against Boston in 1979. He started that play? Serge Savard with an unbelievable defensive play! Number 18 must be retired!