• 5- Guy Lapointe
    • 12- Yvan Cournoyer
    • 18- Serge Savard
    • 19- Larry Robinson
    • 29- Ken Dryden
    • 33- Patrick Roy
    • Other - Mention below

Guest BoomBoomGeoffrion

I'm obviously biased, but I have to take issue with everyone who is talking about #5 and Guy Lapointe. There is no denying his contributions, but what about Geoffrion? I mentioned this in a previous thread that I know there were some hard feelings about him in 1955 passing Richard's scoring total when he was suspended, but can we blame him? The guy brought us the slapshot and some good PIMs and, most importantly, Cups. Awful coach though.

Honestly, there are about ten players that would have their jerseys retired in any other city. But don't forget Boom Boom!

IMO player's numbers should only be retired if they were a Canadien at the time they stopped playing hockey, in other words retired.

No matter how much anybody contributed to our team before they switched to other teams for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, I bow for a player like Robinson or Savard for example, but if we should retire ALL their numbers there would be no numbers left to use now or later!!!

Right now I'd go for #12, no doubt.

check this out: http://www.oldtimershockey.com/players/cournoyer.html 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see #6 retired, not only was Toe Blake a great player, captain, but he was one of the best coaches that the Habs ever had...

#12 for Yvan Cournoyer

#19 for Larry Robinson

#23 for Bob Gainey

#33 for Patrick Roy

But as someone pointed out on the French Thread, it would be surprising if Gainey while GM would accept to have his number retired.

I don't think Bob Gainey will allowed to his number to be retired.

Bob Gainey played and coach in France one year between his retirement from the Habs and being hired by Minnesota North Stars.

Last years, my birth city (where Bob played) wanted to renamed the arena in his name and Bob refused. He is a modest man and will refuse that kind of "honor".

And because he is GM of the team, it is not a good idea to see his number retired, imagine some people saying that it is only because he manage the team that his number is retired.

Guest hatethoseleafs

Can't see Gainey blowing his own horn and retiring his number even though he's deserving of the honour. Look for future management to get that done.

Cournoyer for sure along with Robinson and Roy ( possibly Dryden ).

Guest swansee

ok I'll move back here....I'll revise my picks from the locked thread.....thanks to a reminder from Big John.

I still say: #12 because of Cournoyer and Dickie Moore.....that's a lock!

the others will be #6 "Toe" Blake.....a great player and a legendary coach!!!!!

and probably #5 for Boom Boom ....too long in Rocket's shadow!!!! (with a possible Guy Lapointe tie-in!)

Gainey is still part of the organization...so not yet....Savard and Robinson are worthy but not quite legendary enough.....Dryden (and Robinson) are tied to current organizations so not yet for them.......the only dark horse might be King Patrick......I'd like to think it would show a break from the Corey years.....but maybe the wounds have not totally healed and remember he's a Quebec guy not a Montreal guy!

# 19 Larry Robinson - along with Guy Lafleur should never have had to pull another sweater over his head besides the CH

Hopefully # 12 Have expressed my views on the Roadrunner repeatedly - no need to do it again

Third choice

Who was the first left winger in the game to score 60 goals in a season ?

Guest swansee
# Guy Lafleur should never have had to pull another sweater over his head besides the CH

Who was the first left winger in the game to score 60 goals in a season ?[/quote:0f1a5fe4b4]

Agreed about Guy....but then HE chose to leave (and come back somewhere else)!

Good question......Lemaire? Shutt?

In reply to Swansee - Lemaire in my opinion pushed Guy out.

#22 Steve Shutt held the NHL record for left wingers with 60 goals from 1977 onwards until Lucky Luc broke the record with 63 back in 92/93

Steve deserves his moment in the sun !

Guest Larry Robinson

I think the next 3 numbers that should be retired are:

1.) # 19 Larry Robinson

2.) # 29 Ken Dryden

3/) # 5 Guy Lapointe

All in that order

:D

Guest TORHABSFAN

My Picks are: 12, 19, 33

I think that #33 Is a absoulte Must!!!!

With all do respect to all the other Great players who have worn the CH with pride. Patrick Roy is hands down a cut above the rest.

Whats the Diffrence.

Well Patrick Roy is the Greatest Goalie of ALL TIME!!!!!! The other players in question are all great but none of them are considered the best of all time at there position.

Also these guys played on stacked teams, yeah they won alot of Cups but Roy some would say won 2 Cups with us by Carying the Whole Team on his back.

Roy is the Only player in NHL history to win 3 Conn Smythe Trophys as The MVP of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. 2 of those MVP's where with our Habs.

And here is one last point. It is imbarassing to me and should be to all of you that the Av's retired his Jersey already and we haven't. He was Great as a AV no doubt but he was better as a Hab!!! when I think of Patrick Roy I think of him as a Hab first. Rember the Wink!!! the Vezina's, the Jennings the Cups!!!

NUMBER 33 HAS GOT TO BE A LOCK TO BE RETIRED!!!!

Hmm I got a question. How many players since Roy has left have worn number 33?

If I am right I think 1 or 2 have worn it very briefly in preseason but i can't rember anybody wearing it for a substantal time in the NHL for the Reg season. to me this says they have wanted to riter 33 for a long time.

Guest swansee

guys....if you read the press release this becomes more complex.....they plan to retire a few numbers each season until 2009....so I imagine just about everyone mentioned will get their due......as for this year....it does not necessarily have to be in order of importance.....they might want to save some of the biggies for the future....that said...I'll bet we get Blake this year and probably Geoffrion.....

Guest Koivu Fan

Am i the only one against this plan to retire lots of jerseys? I really think it cheapens the honor. Sure the habs have had tons of GREAT players in the past, but only the best of the best should be retired. If they did 1 a year between now and 2009 it might be alright, but 3 this year and who knows how many after that? Seems kinda rediculous to me. Im not saying these guys dont deserve it, i just think it should be a very elite club since we are a team with so much history. Im a HUGE fan, but i dont want to see Koivu's number retired. Save it for the undisputed league changing players. These players get to join the Hockey Hall Of Fame, which is special enough, they dont need number retirement. Im not saying there arent any habs that were game changing, that dont have their numbers retired yet, im just saying that it should stay as a VERY elite group. When a guy retires, if no player on the habs would ever touch that number, then retire it. When Lemieux retires, no Penguin (or even anyone in the league most likely) is going to touch 66.That is a number that deserves retiring.

Guest Koivu Fan
Which current habs player do you think will have their shirt retired.

i think it will be koivu or theodore[/quote:5bd754de18]

If any current hab gets their shirt retired, its going to be pathetic. Koivu is the best option i think, but he really doesnt deserve it at all. Hall Of Fam?e maybe someday. Shirt retiring? no.

Guest hatethoseleafs
Which current habs player do you think will have their shirt retired.

i think it will be koivu or theodore[/quote:c165d0b01a]

If any current hab gets their shirt retired, its going to be pathetic. Koivu is the best option i think, but he really doesnt deserve it at all. Hall Of Fam?e maybe someday. Shirt retiring? no.[/quote:c165d0b01a]

BOB GAINEY :wink:

Guest Koivu Fan

Also, as much as you all seem to have forgiven Roy and want his number retired, think of this. The guy won cups for Colorado as well. He played almost half his career in Colorado. He left the organization in a horrible way. I cant imagine Roy getting his number retired before Ken Dryden does. Roy may be the best goalie ever, but i dont think you'll see 33 in the rafters at the Bell Center anytime soon.

Guest Komisarek#8

33 will definitely be one of the numbers retired... Roy was the best all time goalie in the history of the NHL... Plus many others that deserve the honor of having their number hanging from the rafters... Would love to see the Draft and All Star game back in the greatest city in the World!!

Guest OutlawTorn81

Does that mean we can never have a coach named Toe Blake or Scotty Bowman again?

There's a major backlog of players who deserve to have their names up in the rafters. So many of the great players from the great teams of the 1970s, and still a few holdovers from the 40s and 50s. I think we will see all of our true legends honoured in the coming years, and there will in the future be no Montreal Canadiens players with numbers below 35 on their jerseys.